PDA

View Full Version : Yugioh Arc- V Duelist Power Ranking

KingKaash
22nd February 2016, 03:10 AM
Since the pace of the show is pretty slow, I just wanted to make a Power Ranking of all the duelist so far. So this ranking stands as of Episode 93 because I have not watched 94 yet. Remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and these are just mine. Power rankings of the duelist are based on overall strategy/versatility of the deck, ace monsters, wins and losses vs opponents, and does not include plot armor. Also I'm not going to include Yuri, Rin and Ruri because we haven't seen them in a full duel yet. And Barrett was too OP for me to take him seriously.

Honorable Mention: Dennis Macfield, Yuzu Hiiragi

10) Gong Strong Deck: Superheavy Samurai
I personally like Gong's deck. It doesn't use Spell Cards which baffles me and it uses Synchros with powerful DEF to overpower opponents. I see a lot of potential if he gets a lot more Pendulums to really be a stronger duelist character

9) Reira Akaba Deck: C/C/C
The main reason Reira makes this list is because of the versatility. Up to this point in the show, there are only 3 decks that can summon a Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz and Reira is one of them. His loop takedown of the Security was nice. Like Jack said, we all look forward to seeing him duel and hopefully its against a legit threat opponent.

8) Yugo Deck: Speedroid
I feel like Yugo should be higher on this list but his own character background holds him back. Being born in the Commons, Yugo's character is not allowed to have access to better cards with higher Levels, ATK, and effects. Speedroids are still a respectable Synchro deck and his ace Clear Wing and evolution of Crstyal Wing definitely carry him.

7) Crow Hogan Deck: Blackwing
This is where the list gets real. Coming in at #7 is Crow and he gets new additions to his Blackwings as he returned to Arc-V. Blackwings are one of the deepest archetypes in all of the game and his Crow's Phantom Synchro summon was impressive. He defeated Shun and even took down Odd-Eyes Rebellion so Crow is definitely deserving. It will be interesting to see how he does against Academia duelists.

6) Sora Shiunin Deck: Fluffal/Edge Imp
I'll admit that at first I didn't like Sora as a character nor did I like his Fusion monsters. But that duel against Yuya in between the Maiami Championship opened my eyes. He gave Yuya all he could handle by pulling out 3 Frightfurs. I honestly think he could've won that duel had it not been interrupted. His deck has power and makes Fusion summoning look easy. Add his semi-offscreen victory over Shun and you realize that Sora is one of the strongest characters in Arc-V.

5) Yuya Sakaki Deck: Performapal/Odd-Eyes
The main character of the show at only #5!? Well the losses stick out for me. I think he would've lost to Reiji the first time had it not been interrupted, he got beat by Kali Yuga the second time versus Reiji, and Jack and Sergey+Barrett took him down. Look he's the main character so he's going to get all the best cards, but he's surely one of the more weaker protagonists in all of the series (which is fine).

4) Sergey Volkov Deck: Thorn Prisoner/Earthbounds
Did the Earthbounds carry Sergey all the way up to #4 on my list. Yea you could say that. But he has my respect. I like the Thorn Prisoner concept and a little part of me still wishes that they brought that back and developed it more. He crushed Yuzu into the ground, defeated (weakened) Yuya, and pushed Jack a lot farther than anyone else has. He rocked the Earthbounds well and was basically showing the extent of Roger. He will fall on this list the next time I chose to make one. But well done Sergey.

3) Shun Kurosaki Deck: Raidraptor
How does Shun make it all the way up to #3 despite losing to guys like Crow and Sora who are lower on this list? Plot armor, that's why. For storyline reasons he had to lose to those. I know Raidraptors have a few flaws but I like the way they work against Special Summoned monsters. Shun's takedown of Sora the first time and the annihilation of those 3 LDS students was so intense. And while Dennis didn't hold up to the hype in his duel against Shun in the Friendship Cup, Shun still brought the heat. He's probably my favorite character.

2) Jack Atlas Deck: Red/Resonator
The Duel King comes in at #2 on my list. He's been the King of the Synchro Dimension for 3 years and his ace Scarlight dragon is amazing. He wiped the floor with Yuya the first time around and we all know what happens to Sergey. Even if he loses to Yuya next, it will be because of plot armor and Yuya getting the best cards. Jack Atlas was the second best in 5Ds and he stays consistent by being the second best duelist thus far in Arc-V.

1) Reiji Akaba Deck: D/D/D
Who else could possibly be #1? Reiji is the king of versatility. He is the first person in all of the series to ever drop a Fusion, Synchro and Xyz all in one duel. He would've have beaten Yuya the first time they dueled had it not been interrupted and he took down Odd-Eyes Rebellion with his Kali Yuga the second time around to win it with Yuya seething after losing Yuzu. I doubt Barrett had his Chains, but beating him was a nice win as well. The leader of the Lancers rarely duels but when he does, it doesn't feel like he'll lose. It's refreshing to see the anti-hero actually be stronger than the protagonist. Seeing all those years of Kaiba grovel at the feet of Atem made me feel for Kaiba. That's not the story this time around. Reiji will likely remain the strongest throughout the series, again not including plot armor.

Dread Kaiser
22nd February 2016, 04:09 AM
1, Whatever the plot requires. Yuya nearly OTK'd Jack after all
Being born in the Commons, Yugo's character is not allowed to have access to better cards with higher Levels, ATK, and effects
.../faceplam
When the hell has backgrounds stopped anyone in this series? Also "higher level/ATK = good" stopped being a thing a long time ago
Yugi was just a normal person, Beat Atem
Jaden, ditto. Beat near everyone, Especially those guys who DID have the fancy backgrounds (Some Shmuck: who else wasted money at Duelist Prep School? T-T)
Yusei, Literally the same situation as Yugo sans the massive destruction that caused his Cities poverty, had more Synchros then anyone else and was near undefeated
Jack, ALSO the same background, Reigning king in ARC V, former king in 5D's. worth noting this time around Jack did NOT have an Ancient Conspiracy, Magic Dragon or anything else helping him this time around.

then there is Joey, Exemplifying the "Anyone can be awesome (some belief in friends/self/cards/whatever may be required)" theme Yugioh always had

3, Reira also solo'd some Obelisk force for a while, something only sergei and Berzerk Yuya has pulled off thus far, and he went through multiple teams

also

How does Shun make it all the way up to #3 despite losing to guys like Crow and Sora who are lower on this list? Plot armor, that's why.

Power rankings of the duelist are based on overall strategy/versatility, ace monsters, wins and losses vs opponents, and does not include plot armor.

Wut?

KingJinzo
22nd February 2016, 07:40 PM
I give you my current "Lancers" ranking instead. I leave Dennis out and I let Serena, Yuzu and Sora in:

10) Tsukikage (not impressive)
9) Sawatari (not really impressive)
8) Serena (too offensive)
7) Gongenzaka (solid defense)
6) Yuzu (Bloom Diva)
5) Reira (mook killer)
4) Sora (powerful Fusions)
3) Kurosaki (prepared for almost everything and damn birds)
2) Yuya (the protagonist, new cards out of nowhere)
1) Reiji (So overpowered, he would win the Friendship Cup with no doubt (give him Rituals please). Doesn't rely on one ace and has several boss monsters instead.)

LolsterXD97
22nd February 2016, 07:51 PM
I will rank the current Lancers first:
1)Reiji.
2)Yuya.
3)Shun.
4)Reira.
5)Gongenzaka.
6)Sawatari.
7)Tsukikage.

Tsukikage is just a bit bad dueling alone, even more than Sawatari, which has a better balance between offensive and defense, while Tsukikage is way more defensive and relies on Action Cards for his winning move, he also works better on teams rather than alone, because of his defensive cards.

False_Revelation
22nd February 2016, 11:19 PM
1)Reiji (I dont need to explain why. Literally everyone agrees that he's the strongest atm.)
2)Jack or Shun. It seems that all of the lancers received pendulums in standard so wouldnt Shun have them? Of course its possible he lost to crow simply bcuz he didnt draw them. Its also possible he doesnt have any...which i HIGHLY doubt. (Btw. Kaito will take the number 2 spot as soon as he hits the series.)
3)Sora
4)Crow
5)Selena(i dont believe she has plot armor)
6)Sirgay(lol)
6.5?)Reira ( he really proved himself in beating(from what i counted) AT LEAST 9 obelisk force members.
7)Gong(dont care about him)
8)Yuzu(literally a waste of screen time. wish she would just die.)
9)Sawatari(I really wish he was at least on Shun's level :/ I get tired of seeing him lose. Shingo's my 2nd fav character. If only he had the same demeanor as Reiji :/)
10)Tsukikage(nothin to say..i dont want him to be trash like he his but i want him to still be the weakest)
Overall I would be very disappointed if anyone on gongs level or lower was a part of an "elite" force out of an entire DIMENSION and they wanted to fight a long side me. The best you could do is be a bullet stopper.

KingKaash
23rd February 2016, 12:00 AM
1, Whatever the plot requires. Yuya nearly OTK'd Jack after all
.../faceplam
When the hell has backgrounds stopped anyone in this series? Also "higher level/ATK = good" stopped being a thing a long time ago
Yugi was just a normal person, Beat Atem
Jaden, ditto. Beat near everyone, Especially those guys who DID have the fancy backgrounds (Some Shmuck: who else wasted money at Duelist Prep School? T-T)
Yusei, Literally the same situation as Yugo sans the massive destruction that caused his Cities poverty, had more Synchros then anyone else and was near undefeated
Jack, ALSO the same background, Reigning king in ARC V, former king in 5D's. worth noting this time around Jack did NOT have an Ancient Conspiracy, Magic Dragon or anything else helping him this time around.

then there is Joey, Exemplifying the "Anyone can be awesome (some belief in friends/self/cards/whatever may be required)" theme Yugioh always had

3, Reira also solo'd some Obelisk force for a while, something only sergei and Berzerk Yuya has pulled off thus far, and he went through multiple teams

also

Wut?

-I definitely agree that ATK doesn't mean much now but considering that Security mooks have stronger monsters than his Hi-Speedroid Synchros doesn't bode well for him IMO.
-Reira, Yuya, Sergey and Shun have crushed multiple Obelisk Force or Security. Yes.
-You're asking "what" about Shun losing to plot armor? Tell me how he defeats Sora the first time and then in a semi-offscreen duel he fails to summon Blaze Falcon and loses to Sora? It's clearly because the writers wanted to make Sora look like a bigger threat at the time.
-Sorry mistake there. I meant to say overall strategy/versatility of the deck*

7)Tsukikage.

Tsukikage is just a bit bad dueling alone, even more than Sawatari, which has a better balance between offensive and defense, while Tsukikage is way more defensive and relies on Action Cards for his winning move, he also works better on teams rather than alone, because of his defensive cards.

I feel bad for Tsukikage. You're right that he's not even as good as Sawatari on his own which is saying something. But maybe his school's "dueling style" was tag-teams and he lost his brother. I kinda wish he'd get carded to remove him as a character who needs to duel from time to time, but he's Reiji's right hand man so I doubt he gets removed this early.

LolsterXD97
23rd February 2016, 12:19 AM
I feel bad for Tsukikage. You're right that he's not even as good as Sawatari on his own which is saying something. But maybe his school's "dueling style" was tag-teams and he lost his brother. I kinda wish he'd get carded to remove him as a character who needs to duel from time to time, but he's Reiji's right hand man so I doubt he gets removed this early.

It was said by Tsukikage himself in episode 48 that he defends like the moon while Hikage attacks like the sun, so yeah, Tsukikage suits better as a Tag Duel partner and he probably worked together with his brother in Tag Duels before.

KingKaash
23rd February 2016, 02:06 AM
1)Reiji (I dont need to explain why. Literally everyone agrees that he's the strongest atm.)
2)Jack or Shun. It seems that all of the lancers received pendulums in standard so wouldnt Shun have them? Of course its possible he lost to crow simply bcuz he didnt draw them. Its also possible he doesnt have any...which i HIGHLY doubt. (Btw. Kaito will take the number 2 spot as soon as he hits the series.)

You really think Kite will overtake Shun and Jack? Why so just curious.

It was said by Tsukikage himself in episode 48 that he defends like the moon while Hikage attacks like the sun, so yeah, Tsukikage suits better as a Tag Duel partner and he probably worked together with his brother in Tag Duels before.

Yea I remember that. I wonder if his brother will ever come back so we can see them at full power. Because ninjas dueling is pretty cool. I have a theory that some of the Duel Soldiers of Academia will be some of those characters that have been carded already that have been brainwashed by Leo.

Wave.
23rd February 2016, 03:16 AM
Yugo is way too low. Having low-atk Hi-speedroids doesn't mean anything. He either uses them to synchro climb into Clear Wing or trigger Clear Wing's eff. Tbh the Clear/Crystal Wing + Chasing Wings combo he pulled of against Sawatari sort of locks down Crow, Sora, Sergey, and Jack's deck. Not saying he would beat those characters but he certainly deserves to be way higher than 8. Especially if you consider the fact he defeated Yuto who manhandled Sora way better than Shun did, and was capable of OTK'ing him with DRXD by his second turn.

Speaking of Yuto, he doesn't make the list? I suppose he doesn't have too many duels to rank him.

Also I don't know about Shun being #3. I mean theoretically he should be able to defeat everyone below him but as far as portrayal goes. He sort of did lose to Sora and Crow, the former Yuya tied, the latter Yuya beat so. Imo he should be lower than Yuya. Personally, I would have him tie with Sora or Crow.

Also no Serena? She's at the very least stronger than Gong.

My list would be:

1.) Reiji Akaba

2.) Jack Atlas

3.) Sergey Volkov

4.) Yuya

5.) Yugo

6.) Sora/Shun

7.) Sora/Shun

8.) Crow

9.) Reira

10.) Serena

KingKaash
23rd February 2016, 03:43 AM
Yugo is way too low. Having low-atk Hi-speedroids doesn't mean anything. He either uses them to synchro climb into Clear Wing or trigger Clear Wing's eff. Tbh the Clear/Crystal Wing + Chasing Wings combo he pulled of against Sawatari sort of locks down Crow, Sora, Sergey, and Jack's deck. Not saying he would beat those characters but he certainly deserves to be way higher than 8. Especially if you consider the fact he defeated Yuto who manhandled Sora way better than Shun did, and was capable of OTK'ing him with DRXD by his second turn.

Speaking of Yuto, he doesn't make the list? I suppose he doesn't have too many duels to rank him.

Also I don't know about Shun being #3. I mean theoretically he should be able to defeat everyone below him but as far as portrayal goes. He sort of did lose to Sora and Crow, the former Yuya tied, the latter Yuya beat so. Imo he should be lower than Yuya. Personally, I would have him tie with Sora or Crow.

Also no Serena? She's at the very least stronger than Gong.

My list would be:

1.) Reiji Akaba

2.) Jack Atlas

3.) Sergey Volkov

4.) Yuya

5.) Yugo

6.) Sora/Shun

7.) Sora/Shun

8.) Crow

9.) Reira

10.) Serena

You know I remembered the Dragon lock after I posted this and I didn't want to go back and edit it. I don't know if that lock is a consistent play for him since he never used it against Serena but that was really cool to see. My only problem with Serena is that she seems like she just wants to bring out her Fusions and attack. A very offensive approach and straightforward. Here newest ace who's name I forgot was pretty cool though.

I respect your list though. You back it well

Sanokal
23rd February 2016, 03:50 AM
Sora could have severely dealt to him in their first duel if he'd summoned Frightfur Tiger instead of Bear; he WAS holding back after all.

Wave.
23rd February 2016, 04:08 AM
You know I remembered the Dragon lock after I posted this and I didn't want to go back and edit it. I don't know if that lock is a consistent play for him since he never used it against Serena but that was really cool to see. My only problem with Serena is that she seems like she just wants to bring out her Fusions and attack. A very offensive approach and straightforward. Here newest ace who's name I forgot was pretty cool though.

I respect your list though. You back it well
Serena's style is too reckless and straightforward, I agree. However, that seems to do job against Gong who relies on his overwhelming defense to destroy his opponent and protect his LP at the same type. Considering Serena has Leo Dancer's eff to destroy all of Gong's synchro monsters and score a direct attack, Blue Cat's eff which can double any of her fusions monsters' attack and thus making their atk over all of gong's monsters, I think she can take him on. Plus there was that trap she used against Dennis that can switch all of gong's monsters into atk positon and then halve their atk and defense. That's kinda why I think she could beat Gong, Dennis, and possibly Yuzu. They all rely on high/multiple atk to beat their opponents (Bloom Prima being the only exception but Panther Dancer should be able to beat it since it can't be destroyed by card eff) and Serena's deck is just more suited and consistent for that style of dueling.

Thanks, I like the reasoning behind your list. I was about to put Sergey way lower on my list since I blame Yuya's loss on lazy writing considering he could've at the very least stalled for one turn but Sergey's performance against Jack does make him look deserving of his spot.

KingKaash
23rd February 2016, 05:35 AM
Serena's style is too reckless and straightforward, I agree. However, that seems to do job against Gong who relies on his overwhelming defense to destroy his opponent and protect his LP at the same type. Considering Serena has Leo Dancer's eff to destroy all of Gong's synchro monsters and score a direct attack, Blue Cat's eff which can double any of her fusions monsters' attack and thus making their atk over all of gong's monsters, I think she can take him on. Plus there was that trap she used against Dennis that can switch all of gong's monsters into atk positon and then halve their atk and defense. That's kinda why I think she could beat Gong, Dennis, and possibly Yuzu. They all rely on high/multiple atk to beat their opponents (Bloom Prima being the only exception but Panther Dancer should be able to beat it since it can't be destroyed by card eff) and Serena's deck is just more suited and consistent for that style of dueling.

Thanks, I like the reasoning behind your list. I was about to put Sergey way lower on my list since I blame Yuya's loss on lazy writing considering he could've at the very least stalled for one turn but Sergey's performance against Jack does make him look deserving of his spot.

Head to head, your right Serena relentless attacks would beat Gong's defensive style. Maybe I'm enamored with Gong because his strategies are so unique. I'm interested to see both of them get more Pendulums, especially Gong because it will benefit his strategy of not having Spell cards in the Graveyard. I wonder what Dimension Serena went to.

Sergey gets some love from us all. But I doubt he's on anyone's future list after we've witnessed Yuri, Kite, Aster and Alexis duel.

Sora could have severely dealt to him in their first duel if he'd summoned Frightfur Tiger instead of Bear; he WAS holding back after all.

So true. They both haven't gone all-out. That's why I gotta see Shun vs Sora all-out one final time. I mean if Silvio/Sawatari could get angry at Sora for hanging around Yuya then imagine how mad Shun will get. So I hope it happens. It's why I wanted Sora to remain on Academia's side. Maybe Leo will activate some device that's lodged into Sora's head that'll make him evil

KingJinzo
24th February 2016, 12:55 PM
You guys forget that Gongenzaka has his Soul cards to protect his monsters or to revive them. That's why I ranked him higher. It is also more difficult to summon Panther Dancer and Lio Dancer than Big Benkei or any of the Superheavy Synchros. Soulfire Suit for example makes Lio Dancer's effect useless. Serena usually has only one strong monster on the field due to wasting her monster as fodder. And Purple Butterfly cannot Special Summon any monsters in the anime, so swarming is difficult for her. Yes, she has Pendulums, but they become fodder anyway.

Baconator
24th February 2016, 07:37 PM

Not only that, if he had summoned tiger instead of chimera with frightur fusion, he could've won then as well. Heck, if edge imp chain didn't suck so bad in the anime, he could've searched frightfur fusion and gone into pretty much any frightfur to win.

DelCtrl
24th February 2016, 09:13 PM
Not only that, if he had summoned tiger instead of chimera with frightur fusion, he could've won then as well. Heck, if edge imp chain didn't suck so bad in the anime, he could've searched frightfur fusion and gone into pretty much any frightfur to win.

IMO, the ability to gauge the opponent's strength and the ability to take the right decisions are crucial for a duelist. So, as Sora clearly didn't go all out on a opponent when he should have gone, that shows that at the time he really wasn't the better duelist.

Sanokal
24th February 2016, 09:18 PM
IMO, the ability to gauge the opponent's strength and the ability to take the right decisions are crucial for a duelist. So, as Sora clearly didn't go all out on a opponent when he should have gone, that shows that at the time he really wasn't the better duelist.

On the other hand, as Shay has mentioned, he's always serious when he duels. Declan doesn't go all out all the time either, but he seems to calculate that.

Mystic TimeKeeper
24th February 2016, 10:14 PM
I'll try my hand at this thing, but I'd rather use a Tier system rather than a tier ranking since I feel it reflects better the overall ability of a character in a game where a tie is a hard result to come by so results are biased by lack of matches, it will probably feel pretty cramped since I feel that unlike older series the skill difference between the contenders is pretty low in comparison:

C Tier

Hiiragi Yuzu : The "best" heroine, maybe, she has the qualities to shine but she tend to fall a bit too easily into the enemies' strategies so she gets a low spot

Noboru Gongenzaka : He shows potential but his results are a bit underwhelming confronted with what you would expect from him

Sawatari Shingo : Supposedly the joke member, he shows great skills and it's a surprising good duelist... sometimes. His lack of consistent results drag him down low, but that's a problem shared with most of the low-tiered characters

Tsukikage : Tends to fail horribly in singles but he's a great supporter. Still better than Shinji at least.

B Tier

Shiun'in Sora : The first duelist to show the might of the Fusion Dimension, showed skills, power and tactics worthy of a top duelist and that earned him a top seat in the ratings, had a tendency to underestimate people that held him back but hopefully he will stop doing that in the future.

Kurosaki Shun : Resistance most active member, gained recognition for taking on mighty foes and emerging victorious, one of the characters with the best record so far, showed the world what it REALLY means to topdeck the shit out of your opponent (DISCLAIMER: No luck is involved in lucksacking an opponent, that's how the franchise worked for 20 years).

Akaba Reira : Multiple Summoning methods is a sign of strength in ARC-V, and his recent winning streak earns him a seat in the higher positions even if his debut as a duelist was pretty recent. A bit instable but plot development may fix that in the future.

Barrett : Placed here more for plot than perceived skills, considering the treatment he gets from his comrades and his latest duel it wouldn't make sense to put him in C even if I feel that's where it really belongs.

Selena : Same problem as Barrett, going with the results alone this place wouldn't feel right, but the recognition she gets in the series from several characters earns her at least a B, even if I'd put her in the lower end of the tier.

Dennis Macfield : And here's the opposite problem, he showed amazing skills and surprising ability, earns the higher end of the B but if we went rating his deck alone he gets his own class, I'd have put him in A if it weren't for on-screen results, he had the potential to soar to even greater heights but that sky belonged to another kind of falcon.

A Tier

Yuto : That's a tricky decision, I'd normally say that we don't have the material to judge this kind of character but since we got to see a lot of Sora and then they show us Yuto handing his ass so bad that the burn propelled Sora back to Academia that I'd feel bad not to rate him.

Yugo : And that's the second tricky decision, it overall feels more a B than an A considering how luck-based some of his strategies are, but wouldn't make much sense to rate him lower than Yuto since he got such a clear win against him.

Crow Hogan : Everyone's beloved "Trickster" returns with less tricks and more spam, overall solid character that showed his qualities through the series even in the short time it had at disposal.

Sergey Volkov : Duelist Crusher basically crushed enough stuff to earn a spot this high, he basically came and crushed the heroine, then following with the protagonist and that guy next to him, he managed to live up to all the hype they gave him and that earns him an A in my book.

S Tier

Akaba Reiji : The flawless duelist, so far he demonstrated strength, skill, strategy and composture fitting of a leader, always several steps ahead of the opposition whether he is dueling or not, has yet to fight someone who can match it so most of his abilities are speculation)

Jack Atlas : His popularity precedes his achievements, it hasn't shown enough about his current self skills but he still managed to show his charisma and his overwhelming strength, yet to overshadow his original counterpart though.

Untiered

Sakaki Yuya : I feel his character is too unstable for me to give a fair rating to him, I'd have given him at least an A after the duel against reiji but at the start of the Synchro Dimension he was pretty pathetic, even at the start of the tournament I'd have rated him B at best. He basically develops too much so I can't fix him in a single tier right now.

False_Revelation
24th February 2016, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=KingKaash;25078]You really think Kite will overtake Shun and Jack? Why so just curious.

Its hype mixed with logic. My original idea was that the yugioh characters of the current series would be stronger than the last. There are ABSOLUTELY NO facts that support this idea aside from the original characters using normal monsters and newer characters using monsters with essays for effects.
When it came to the kaibas i thought the ranking was 1-Reiji, 2-Kaito, 3-Kaiser, 4-Jack(he is only 4 because i didnt like jack or 5ds. His ace was trash. Blue eyes was better(the normal one)...
But as for the kaito ranking, it goes back to that idea. Not to mention he has the 2nd most broken cards of the kaibas. The first is reiji...obviously, since he doesnt rely on anything. As for shun, you would normally send foot soldiers to fight while the general stays behind. Arc-v's jack is pretty decent to me but i still dont see him beating kaito.

KingKaash
25th February 2016, 12:20 AM
Yugo : And that's the second tricky decision, it overall feels more a B than an A considering how luck-based some of his strategies are, but wouldn't make much sense to rate him lower than Yuto since he got such a clear win against him.

I like your tier idea better than an outright list. The one thing I kinda don't agree on is that Yugo got a clear win against Yuto. I got the vibe that Yuto kinda let him win. I could be wrong but that's just how I remember it

I think this is a fair point to consider. But would you say Shun didn't go all out against Sora the next time around inside that temple because I don't recall him using his Falcons. I think he had 3 Fuzzy Lanius out.

[QUOTE=KingKaash;25078]You really think Kite will overtake Shun and Jack? Why so just curious.

Its hype mixed with logic. My original idea was that the yugioh characters of the current series would be stronger than the last. There are ABSOLUTELY NO facts that support this idea aside from the original characters using normal monsters and newer characters using monsters with essays for effects.
When it came to the kaibas i thought the ranking was 1-Reiji, 2-Kaito, 3-Kaiser, 4-Jack(he is only 4 because i didnt like jack or 5ds. His ace was trash. Blue eyes was better(the normal one)...
But as for the kaito ranking, it goes back to that idea. Not to mention he has the 2nd most broken cards of the kaibas. The first is reiji...obviously, since he doesnt rely on anything. As for shun, you would normally send foot soldiers to fight while the general stays behind. Arc-v's jack is pretty decent to me but i still dont see him beating kaito.

I would agree that Zexal Kaito/Kite is better than 5Ds Jack for sure. But Red Nova Dragon is my favorite Synchro ever. I like Arc-V Jack even though we haven't seen too much on him. But I expect Kite to get a further upgrade as well so if the trend follows, then yes logically Kite should be better. I just want consistent Rank 8 help for him

Sanokal
25th February 2016, 12:52 AM
Yes, I definitely prefer the tier concept.

Baconator
25th February 2016, 02:31 AM

That's my main problem with that duel; before his duel against Shun, he was the guy that said, "Maybe the 0 attack monster has an effect." During the duel, however, he goes "hurpdurp you only have 1000 atk". It's not because he underestimates xyz's monsters either, because he didn't underestimate yuto or hokuto.

King
25th February 2016, 03:03 AM
Using the tier concept, which has proven to be more accurate, i will make my tier list as well

Just a Reminder: This list will only contain characters, that were active or still active,

Tier 3 (Duelists that has not shown any overwhelming or relevant moves)

Duel chasers all of them: Their decks are repetitive and dumb, the only card used by them tat caught my intrest, was Sniping Hazy Type 0

Obelisk Force: the same issue with the DCs, or even worse if they don't Draw Polymerization, they will be really screwed up, but this is Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime, this will never happen

Tsukikage: He is overshadowed to much, proving that he is real ninja haha, Jokes aside, his deck never showed any sign of threat, i hope he climbs up to the spotlights

Shingo Sawatari: Comic Relief character, not much to say, he gets cocky, and ends up being screwed, if he had more moments of might like the duels he had with Yuya and Yugo, he could be in the next tier

Tier 2 (Duelist that shows some kind of skills, but are not that powerful)
Barret: His decks seems to be mess, mixing random Beast-Warriors with the Machine non-official archetype Sentinels, does not seem to be a good idea, but his Trap Cards Beastborg Medal of Crimson chain is overpowered as hell, you basically become unable to play

Shinji Weber: Well, he didn't got enough character development to be a notable charcater, but his Bee-Force might have potential, if those bugs live up to their features discribed by their owner, like the Revolution Stuff and always standing up to support their fallen brothers, they can be decent swarm archetype

Choujiro Tokumatsu: The only reason he is here. because his deck seems to be a bit messy, but can make some weird combos, to fuck up your opponent real bad, he sure have potential to be in the next tier

Lil Gon (AKA: Gongezaka Noboru): his deck is powerfu,l but not powerful enough to be a threat to the other duelists

Selena: Lunalights seems to be very slow and have a small pool of reliable cards, i hope she gets more reliable bosses and swirl slime for Lunalights

Tier 1 (Duelists with notable Skills or enough character development)

Dennis Mcfield: He has a astonishing Rank 4 engine, we know what those clowns are capable of, he is a role-model for me, its a shame that he downgraded to the level of using Antique Gears

Yuzu Hiragi: She is very strong on her own, she does not need to be shielded by Yuya, and can pull out awesome moves, its a shame that she lost to Sergey due to plot

Sora Shiun'in: His Fusions are Dope (both in gameplay and theme), he can crush a lot of strong duelists, and he he has playbe Deck, even able to roughly top some tournaments, do i really need say more about him ?

Shun Kurosaki: Evolved so much, throught the Episodes, i am sure he can defeat Sora, his deck is playable in real life, also he and Yuya are the only lancers that get the Spotlights

Reira Akaba: Overwhelming skills, mastering all Summons (Execept Pendulum),i hope he keep on striding and shows more of his skills

Yugo: Overcomed a lot of troubles, if he becomes focused, he can be a Incredible Duelist, also Crystal Wing is a real boss Monster

Crow Hogan: Could be in the next tier, but the staff just threw him in the dust, but we cannot deny that, he is strong duelist

Sergey Volkov: He is a Ruthless and Fearsome duelist,

Tier 0 (Strongest Characters in the Show)

Yuya Sakaki: this is so obivious, he is the main character, he lost sometimes, and desrved to stay at tier 1, but due to the fact his cards, domniated the Meta so hard, and still domines, but not like before, he stays at this tier. Pe Pe Days, were the Days, Never forget about it

Jack Atlas; Amazing Skills, Power able to tear to shreds anyone that stands in his pat, he did not seemed to struggle during his Duel with Sergay, he looked only like a bug annoying Jack, also despite of the situation, he does not seem to lose his composure

Reiji Akaba: Needless to say about his skills, If D/Ds get supported properly it can become the Dragon Rulers 3.0

Sanokal
25th February 2016, 05:27 AM
The Obelisk Force don't need Polymerization; their Hunting Hounds can fuse themselves with their own effects.

Mystic TimeKeeper
25th February 2016, 08:05 AM
Considering how the Anime works I say we shouldn't count actual card design much into the power rankings since most of them are extremely buffed in real life and actual tournament results won't influence character's strength, not to mention the whole "decks are techniques" theory that floats around.

Adding to that, if we really have to count to that we should at least mention Anime effects to be fair, like Speedroids having none of the searching or Fuzzy lanius being able to loop itself.

Volteccer
25th February 2016, 01:50 PM
If you are counting Yuya as Tier 0 because of , then Dennis should be up there too

Mystic TimeKeeper
25th February 2016, 02:42 PM
If you are counting Yuya as Tier 0 because of , then Dennis should be up there too

Tier 0? Hah, more like Tier Dennis.

King
25th February 2016, 03:04 PM
Tier 0? Hah, more like Tier Dennis.

Dennis is God

SynjoDeonecros
17th March 2016, 10:01 PM
Tier Awesome: Neo New Sawatari w/ Yosenjus
Tier Fail: Everyone else (including Neo New Sawatari with Abyss Actors)

Sorry, Yuya, but your Egao means nothing in the face of Twink Samurai Weasels!

KingKaash
14th April 2017, 10:27 PM
Arc-V Final Character Power Ranking (since there's no show going on)

Tier 0

1) Zarc: Ridiculous OP deck that could only be defeated by 4 specific cards

Tier 1

2) Yuya Sakaki (Yuto absorbed): Let's face it, without Action Cards and Yuto's Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon, Yuya wouldn't be all that entertaining. I know the last episodes after Zarc's defeat tried to make it seem like otherwise but this show would not have been the same if Yuto didn't join Yuya. But alas, the Pendulum hybrids after absorbing all the Yu boys was a thing of beauty and showed how far he could go (until Links came to town!)

3) Reiji Akaba: I thought the biggest showing for Reiji was when he was able to break through Zarc's strategy a bit and at least lower his LP. The Pendulum hybrids followed in the finale which showed that Reiji was able to keep pace with the protagonist Yuya. Overall, I wish Reiji dueled more throughout the series but there's no denying his strength

4) Yuri: He went through a stretch of causing carnage and was destroying anyone who came in front of him. The versatility to use AG, Predaplant and incorporate Clear Wing Synchro Dragon put him in this tier for me

Tier 2

5) Shun Kurosaki: The ultimate Xyz user in Arc-V to me, I though Kurosaki did well in his tag duel with Kaito against Zarc albeit losing. Other memorable duels include his battle with Sora and Dennis

6) Jack Atlas: It was a great choice to bring Jack into Arc-V. The ability to field both his Dragon bosses on the field versus Zarc was pretty cool to me and his Friendship Cup duel with Yuya was his best. Duel with Sergey was good too

7) Kaito: His victories against Kurosaki and Dennis were pretty good wins and his Cipher Dragon's monster snatching effects are strong

8) Sora Shuin'in: Yea I'm going to put Sora in this tier because his Frightfurs are pretty strong. He got a lot of love in the first half of the season and not much at all after that. But he had 3 Frightfur Fusions out in that Volcano match against Yuya which I thought was his strongest showing

Tier 3

9) Yugo: He was on a roll until he ran into Rin and Yuri. Still Speedroids are nice Synchro deck and Crystal Wing is a strong Synchro

10) Crow Hogan: He did get a lot of duels and a lot of new Synchros and he even managed to damage Zarc first. But I don't think he could beat any of the guys listed above him

11) Edo Phoenix: His Destiny HEROes were alright to me. I wish Kaito got the love Edo did.

Tier Fodder

To be fair, I thought Gong, Sawatari, Dennis, Serena, Rin and Yuzu (sorry Ruri) were good. But I'm not gonna list these out

Dread Kaiser
15th April 2017, 01:58 AM
To be honest, I find Yuri to be the least skilled of the Yu's. his entire strategy is "throw Starve Venom at it". he doesn't seem to have any other Fusions (his counterparts seem to have full extra decks) and most of his threat came from Starve Venoms Anime Only burn effect (otherwise Yugo would have beaten him)

and his Ancient Gears were in a seperate deck, no Dennis BS here

Also you forgot Ray, since she apparently Solo'd Zarc the first time around

Never die
15th April 2017, 06:28 PM
Arc-V Final Character Power Ranking (since there's no show going on)
10) Crow Hogan: He did get a lot of duels and a lot of new Synchros and he even managed to damage Zarc first. But I don't think he could beat any of the guys listed above him
Tier Fodder

To be fair, I thought Gong, Sawatari, Dennis, Serena, Rin and Yuzu (sorry Ruri) were good. But I'm not gonna list these outHe defeated Shun who you have above him......

yshipster
15th April 2017, 07:44 PM
He defeated Shun who you have above him......

We already talked about plot-armor, didn't we? Crow had to duel Yuya, so he couldn't lose back then. Shun just had no storyline for himself after defeating Dennis.

Never die
15th April 2017, 09:07 PM
We already talked about plot-armor, didn't we? Crow had to duel Yuya, so he couldn't lose back then. Shun just had no storyline for himself after defeating Dennis.

By that logic no victory Shun or any other character had counts because of plot armor,Crow proved he was superior than Shun by defeating him fair and square and then Yuya did the same by defeating Crow,thats all there is to it,simple as that.

yshipster
15th April 2017, 11:57 PM
By that logic no victory Shun or any other character had counts because of plot armor,Crow proved he was superior than Shun by defeating him fair and square and then Yuya did the same by defeating Crow,thats all there is to it,simple as that.

And yet, Yuya (in berserk mode) beat the shit out of Crow, while he only had a close duel against Shun. So obviously it's not that simple.

KingJinzo
16th April 2017, 11:48 AM
Different question: Do you think ARC-V Edo is worse than GX Edo or better?

Sanokal
16th April 2017, 12:17 PM

Worse, but not by as much as most would think.

KingJinzo
16th April 2017, 12:19 PM

Can you elaborate on that?

Sanokal
16th April 2017, 12:30 PM
Can you elaborate on that?

His win loss record isn't fantastic, but that's because he only duels the Yus, and his strategy is still effective.

KingJinzo
16th April 2017, 07:37 PM
His win loss record isn't fantastic, but that's because he only duels the Yus, and his strategy is still effective.

Yeah, and if we really think of that, Edo is only character who has dueled all five of them. Yuya/Yuto, then Yuya, then Yugo & Yuri, and finally Zarc.

Sanokal
16th April 2017, 08:23 PM
Yeah, and if we really think of that, Edo is only character who has dueled all five of them. Yuya/Yuto, then Yuya, then Yugo & Yuri, and finally Zarc.

Kite as well.

KingJinzo
16th April 2017, 09:27 PM
Kite as well.

Yeah, that one, too. But Yuto wasn't actually possessing Yuya at that point. Well, he was some kind of being there.

Never die
16th April 2017, 09:56 PM
And yet, Yuya (in berserk mode) beat the shit out of Crow, while he only had a close duel against Shun. So obviously it's not that simple.

He used Dark rebellion and his upgrade against Crow but not against Shun.Besides as i said its simple,Crow defeated Shun fair and square so he is stronger/a better duelist than them,its that simple.

Sanokal
16th April 2017, 10:49 PM
Yeah, that one, too. But Yuto wasn't actually possessing Yuya at that point. Well, he was some kind of being there.

He's all but shown to have dueled him in the past.

KingJinzo
17th April 2017, 12:02 AM
He used Dark Rebellion and his upgrade against Crow but not against Kurosaki. Besides as i said its simple, Crow defeated Kurosaki fair and square so he is stronger/a better duelist than him, it's that simple.
I don't think you can really judge somebody's dueling strength purely based on their victories. Kurosaki defeated Sora, sure, but Sora also defeated Kurosaki. Most of that duel was off-screen, yes, but it's still an in-universe feat regardless.
Rin defeated Yugo, so is she automatically better than him? Maybe, but that's a big question mark.

Your argument of Yuya using Dark Rebellion and Odd-Eyes Rebellion against Crow, but not against Kurosaki, is a rather weak argument, because:
a) Dark Rebellion and Odd-Eyes Rebellion were countered by Crow five times in a row and the only thing that ultimately defeated him was Supreme King's Wings. On the other hand, it showed how OP Crow's Trap Card Cursed Guard was.
b) Dark Rebellion's and Odd-Eyes Rebellion's effects are mostly useless against Kurosaki's Xyz Monsters. Heck, even the other three dragons wouldn't be that helpful. If anything, Odd-Eyes Wing Dragon and Odd-Eyes Venom Dragon would be better options.
c) you dismiss that Odd-Eyes Lancer was kind of OP in that duel. At least, he perfectly fit within Yuya's strategy and assured Yuya's victory.

Is Manjoume better than Edo because he won a character-arc-episode duel once? Hell, no. I refuse to believe that one. I can't even tell whether Edo is better or worse than Kaiser due to there being too many factors. Edo defeated Kaiser without his Destiny HEROes, and during the course of the series, Kaiser got the Cyberdarks and Chimeratechs, while Edo revealed Dogma and got Plasma. Without an rematch, I can't tell any definitive difference between them.

yshipster
17th April 2017, 12:26 AM
I don't think you can really somebody dueling strength purely based on their victories. Kurosaki defeated Sora, sure, but Sora also defeated Kurosaki. Most of that duel was off-screen, yes, but it's still an in-universe feat regardless.
Rin defeated Yugo, so is she automatically better than him? Maybe, but that's a big question mark.

Your argument of Yuya using Dark Rebellion and Odd-Eyes Rebellion against Crow, but not against Kurosaki, is a rather weak argument, because:
a) Dark Rebellion and Odd-Eyes Rebellion were countered by Crow five times in a row and the only thing that ultimately defeated him was Supreme King's Wings. On the other hand, it showed how OP Crow's Trap Card was.
b) Dark Rebellion's and Odd-Eyes Rebellion's effects are mostly useless against Kurosaki's Xyz Monsters. Heck, even the other three dragons wouldn't be that helpful. If anything, Odd-Eyes Wing Dragon and Odd-Eyes Venom Dragon would be better options.
c) you dismiss that Odd-Eyes Lancer was kind of OP in that duel. At least, he perfectly fit within Yuya's strategy and assured Yuya's victory.

Is Manjoume better than Edo because he won a character-arc-episode duel once? Hell, no. I refuse to believe that one. I can't even tell whether Edo is better or worse than Kaiser due to there being too many factors. Edo defeated Kaiser without his Destiny HEROes, and during the course of the series, Kaiser got the Cyberdarks and Chimeratechs, while Edo revealed Dogma and got Plasma. Without an rematch, I can't tell no definitive between them.

Finally, someone who can tell apart plot-armor and actual dueling skills...

KingJinzo
17th April 2017, 12:43 AM
Yuya has the most broken power of any protagonist. He can draw the cards he needs with his own will like Yami Yugi, and he can create cards out of nowhere like ZEXAL I/II/III. Nevermind that he transformed cards in the middle of a duel like ZEXAL II did. (Yusei needed the power of the other Signers and the Crimson Dragon to pull those stuff out, and some of the Neos Fusions must be created out of nowhere (Super Poly justifies everything).)

While Reiji can produce his cards by his own and can them as OP he wants (and he certainly has skills no less), Yuya is too OP with his magical (devil) powers.

But you know who the best duelist is? Barrett. His double chain combo is too unfair.
...Yeah, as anyone would even regard him as one of the best duelists just because he got two cards that were way too OP for their own good.

Never die
17th April 2017, 01:57 AM
I don't think you can really judge somebody's dueling strength purely based on their victories. Kurosaki defeated Sora, sure, but Sora also defeated Kurosaki. Most of that duel was off-screen, yes, but it's still an in-universe feat regardless.

a) Dark Rebellion and Odd-Eyes Rebellion were countered by Crow five times in a row and the only thing that ultimately defeated him was Supreme King's Wings. On the other hand, it showed how OP Crow's Trap Card Cursed Guard was.

Is Manjoume better than Edo because he won a character-arc-episode duel once? Hell, no. I refuse to believe that one. I can't even tell whether Edo is better or worse than Kaiser due to there being too many factors. Edo defeated Kaiser without his Destiny HEROes, and during the course of the series, Kaiser got the Cyberdarks and Chimeratechs, while Edo revealed Dogma and got Plasma. Without an rematch, I can't tell any definitive difference between them.Yes you can because no matter how linear and basic their strategy/monsters are,in universe if a character defeats another character fair and square then he is better than him.Shun defeated Sora in their first duel(Sora claims after his loss that the reason he lost is because he did not get serious from the get go),in their second duel Sora went full force from the beggining and he won(thus proving what he said is true,that when he is serious he is better than Shun).As for Rin the answer is yes unless you consider unfair the fact that she had the parasite card which is another subject entirely.
a)They were countered by Crow and?Dark rebellion and Odd eyes Rebellion were his strongest monsters at the time,the fact that he was using them means Beserk Yuya was going full force on him.
b)In universe those are Yuya's best monsters when he is using then that means he is going all out.Just like in his duel against Dennis it was aknowledged that summoning Dark rebellion would be the best play by Reiji but Yuya was afraid and went a roundabout way.Its the same thing as Yuya's first duel against Jack,Jack defeated Yuya withought using Scarlight's upgrade because he did not see Yuya as a worthy opponent.Yuya did the same against Shun and Dennis but unlike Jack who did not go all out because he did not see Yuya as worthy,Yuya did not got all out not out of disrespect but because he was afraid.
c)Odd eyes lancer did perform very well and helped Yuya achieve victory but it was Yuya's secondary plan/monster and used it only because of his fear.

As for Edo sadly yes Manjoume is better than him since he defeated him.Edo's lost against manjoume was forced and out of nowhere just to give Manjoume one last hurrah(similiar to how forced it seemed the fact that Sho is better than Kaiser in season 4)that much is obvious but it does not change the fact that Manjoume defeated him fair and square in universe.I don't like it either nor do i want to believe it but thats how it goes.

As for Edo and Kaiser yes this a case where you cannot tell which one is better since they both got upgrades.In season 2(after their match)you cannot tell.In season 3 you cannot tell for sure since they both cornerned their last opponents but Yubel is stronger than Amon so the odds are more in Kaiser's favor.In season 4 Edo is stronger because not only Kaiser did not get better skill wise since he thought he cannot get any better but he does not even have a deck since he gave it to Sho.

yshipster
17th April 2017, 11:34 AM
Yes you can because no matter how linear and basic their strategy/monsters are,in universe if a character defeats another character fair and square then he is better than him.Shun defeated Sora in their first duel(Sora claims after his loss that the reason he lost is because he did not get serious from the get go),in their second duel Sora went full force from the beggining and he won(thus proving what he said is true,that when he is serious he is better than Shun).As for Rin the answer is yes unless you consider unfair the fact that she had the parasite card which is another subject entirely.
a)They were countered by Crow and?Dark rebellion and Odd eyes Rebellion were his strongest monsters at the time,the fact that he was using them means Beserk Yuya was going full force on him.
b)In universe those are Yuya's best monsters when he is using then that means he is going all out.Just like in his duel against Dennis it was aknowledged that summoning Dark rebellion would be the best play by Reiji but Yuya was afraid and went a roundabout way.Its the same thing as Yuya's first duel against Jack,Jack defeated Yuya withought using Scarlight's upgrade because he did not see Yuya as a worthy opponent.Yuya did the same against Shun and Dennis but unlike Jack who did not go all out because he did not see Yuya as worthy,Yuya did not got all out not out of disrespect but because he was afraid.
c)Odd eyes lancer did perform very well and helped Yuya achieve victory but it was Yuya's secondary plan/monster and used it only because of his fear.

As for Edo sadly yes Manjoume is better than him since he defeated him.Edo's lost against manjoume was forced and out of nowhere just to give Manjoume one last hurrah(similiar to how forced it seemed the fact that Sho is better than Kaiser in season 4)that much is obvious but it does not change the fact that Manjoume defeated him fair and square in universe.I don't like it either nor do i want to believe it but thats how it goes.

As for Edo and Kaiser yes this a case where you cannot tell which one is better since they both got upgrades.In season 2(after their match)you cannot tell.In season 3 you cannot tell for sure since they both cornerned their last opponents but Yubel is stronger than Amon so the odds are more in Kaiser's favor.In season 4 Edo is stronger because not only Kaiser did not get better skill wise since he thought he cannot get any better but he does not even have a deck since he gave it to Sho.

The "fair and square" you always claim is a contradiction to the actual plot armor in the anime though, so it isn't as easy as you say.

King
17th April 2017, 02:24 PM
Does Yuya Main Character title count as relevant factor for that chart ?

Never die
17th April 2017, 03:32 PM
The "fair and square" you always claim is a contradiction to the actual plot armor in the anime though, so it isn't as easy as you say.

Plot armor or not,unless they cheated in some way or had some unfair advantage(for example denni's first match against shun in which shun only had 1000 life points)then that counts as fair.Because if we go by the logic that plot armor does not count as fair then that means 99% of the duels in the whole show/franchise does not count.If we go by your logic then Shun's victory over the LDS or heck all of Shun's victories does not count since he had plot armor.

yshipster
17th April 2017, 04:20 PM
Plot armor or not,unless they cheated in some way or had some unfair advantage(for example denni's first match against shun in which shun only had 1000 life points)then that counts as fair.Because if we go by the logic that plot armor does not count as fair then that means 99% of the duels in the whole show/franchise does not count.If we go by your logic then Shun's victory over the LDS or heck all of Shun's victories does not count since he had plot armor.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Also you contradict yourself, since Shun performed better in the duel vs Dennis in which he had only 1000 LP.

KingJinzo
17th April 2017, 07:42 PM
Does Yuya Main Character title count as relevant factor for that chart ?

Yes, but also because he has broken magical powers. It might a different matter between Yuma and Kaito, but Yuma ultimately beat someone with even more broken powers than himself. I would not be surprised that Reiji stacked his deck during his final duel because unlike with his elemental trio, Reiji doesn't need a complex combo to summon six Hell Armageddons. The way how Yuya summoned the Four Heavenly Dragons in his first turn was definitively smart, but since he has hax Destiny Draw powers, he could gather all the cards he need through willpower.

Another factor that almost everyone dismisses (for good reasons) is the Action Duel factor. In my opinion, Yuya doesn't use his full potential as an Action Duelist. He could be like Tsukikage and BB and run around with his monsters to grab Action Cards almost every second as long as he doesn't keep holding two of them at once. Swinging with his monsters across the room and Allen's rollerblades are things that would make him an even more broken duelist. People dislike the mechanic, but since it's a "different" way of dueling, it is still something that requires a lot of physical skills, something what I appreciate, especially because interacting with your monsters is a brilliant way to show the bond between duelists and Duel Monsters. All Monsters have soul, and even in DSOD, Kaiba mentions that his Solid Vision gives monsters life.

Similarly, Riding Dueling is also a different kind of dueling. If you would play in WRGP style, a D-Wheel that is capable of looping around your opponent multiple times would give you an advantage. That's the kind of advantage I want to see Yuya. Not all the time, but he should more broken in Action Duels. After, the way how Zarc interacted with his monsters made him the invincible man who would become the Supreme King.

Never die
17th April 2017, 10:03 PM
Yeah that's what I'm saying. Also you contradict yourself, since Shun performed better in the duel vs Dennis in which he had only 1000 LP.

I was mentioning that as an example of what is fair or not.........You know what lets take it your way,crow won all of his duels due to plot armor,yuya as well,so did reiji and of course Shun did as well and the same goes for the rest of the cast,so nobody won a single duel fair by your logic.
Except Sawatari who got 1 non plot armor win against his lackeys so of course that means Sawatari is the best duelist.

KingJinzo
17th April 2017, 11:09 PM
I was mentioning that as an example of what is fair or not.........You know what lets take it your way,crow won all of his duels due to plot armor,yuya as well,so did reiji and of course Kurosaki did as well and the same goes for the rest of the cast,so nobody won a single duel fair by your logic.
Except Sawatari who got 1 non plot armor win against his lackeys so of course that means Sawatari is the best duelist.

Personally, I would say that Kurosaki's victory over Ruri wasn't necessarily a plot armor...sorta. Well, screw that one, he won the duel even though it wasn't necessary to win it at all, since Ruri ended up fully brainwashed again. All it did was to protect Kurosaki from carding - okay it's plot armor for him. Doing the same mistake as not carding Yugo should not be done twice.

(Kurosaki is still weak to stairs.)

Dread Kaiser
18th April 2017, 12:10 AM
Some Advice: you guys might want to try defining what constitutes Plot armor for this context if you want this to go anywhere

yshipster
18th April 2017, 01:33 AM
Personally, I think plot-armor can be best seen when someone win through topdecking, which is like 90% of all duels. Some examples:

- Crow won vs Shun ONLY because he drew a level 4 monster, and since we know he runs a large amount of Spells, Traps and non-level 4's that's obviously plot-armor to me. That's why you can't say that Crow is better than Shun.

- Shun won vs Dennis in the 2nd round because he topdecked RUM - Soul Shave Force, and again, that was plot-armor since Dennis had to be removed from the story at that point anyways, and Shun had to duel Crow. HOWEVER, Shun dueled Dennis before in a completely irrelevant duel with no result, and despite his 1000 LP handycap, the RR - Revolution Falcon he brought out would have defeated Dennis' Em Shadow Maker, resulting in Dennis' loss. That's why you CAN say that Shun is better than Dennis.

Volteccer
18th April 2017, 03:17 AM
I would also say that part of plot armor is winning with the help of a card that you have never been shown to own before, and often is really only useful in the specific scenario that it is seen.

Dread Kaiser
18th April 2017, 03:23 AM
I'd define Plot armor as either:
A, the plot bending itself over to assist the character (ie, Yusei's bike HAPPENED to break just before Ccapac Apu Killed him, ending the duel in what is clearly a lose, but TECHNICALLY a no contest, thereby keeping Yusei alive)
B, The opponents Choking on an Idiot ball with no real or just flimsy justification behind it (LDS trio VS Kurosaki, they'd have won if they either Attacked instead of used Lady Lazuli or if Hokuto had kept one of Pleides' materials around, which he was smart enough to do Previously)

under that........Kurosaki basically had no real plot armor after Season 1. in the grand scheme of things all he really contributed was exposing Sora and Dennis, and establishing that Syncrho/Fusion/Xyz Duelists >>>>> Standard Duelist not named Reiji or Yuya.

J. D. Guy
18th April 2017, 04:56 AM

I just wanted to take a moment to say that I appreciate your level-headedness about this so very much. Most everyone else just ragged on Aster for not having any wins, never mind the context of the Duels or how he played in them. You're the first person to acknowledge that and give a fair opinion on his Arc-V Dueling tenure.

J. D. Guy
18th April 2017, 05:04 AM
HOWEVER, Shun dueled Dennis before in a completely irrelevant duel with no result

That Duel was certainly not irrelevant. It was set-up and foreshadowing for their second Duel so that siad Duel would have some form of precedence.

That said, Crow beat Shay, but when you take into account that the Duel showcased them to be even, I'd say they're both respectably even with each other.

Honestly, this fanbase in general tends to take win/loss Duels records too much as the gospel, and in the handful of times were they will actually take the entire context and ambiance of a Duel into perspective, it's usually only to help push their biases for or against a character, meaning they often aren't actually taking everything into context.

Sanokal
18th April 2017, 05:43 AM
I just wanted to take a moment to say that I appreciate your level-headedness about this so very much. Most everyone else just ragged on Aster for not having any wins, never mind the context of the Duels or how he played in them. You're the first person to acknowledge that and give a fair opinion on his Arc-V Dueling tenure.

Cheers. That being said, don't appreciate me too much; I can be a bit blind to flaws of the series because I adore it so much.

And I tend to analyse the series quite a bit, so it does let me pick up on stuff that others might disregard.

yshipster
18th April 2017, 02:31 PM
That Duel was certainly not irrelevant. It was set-up and foreshadowing for their second Duel so that siad Duel would have some form of precedence.

That said, Crow beat Shay, but when you take into account that the Duel showcased them to be even, I'd say they're both respectably even with each other.

Honestly, this fanbase in general tends to take win/loss Duels records too much as the gospel, and in the handful of times were they will actually take the entire context and ambiance of a Duel into perspective, it's usually only to help push their biases for or against a character, meaning they often aren't actually taking everything into context.

The duel wasn't irrelevant, but the outcome. Sorry if I didn't made that clear.
Besides that, I totally agree with you. Context (which is somewaht similar to the term "Plot-Armor" I'm using here) is very important if you want to rate the duelists by their actual power level.

J. D. Guy
19th April 2017, 08:30 AM
The duel wasn't irrelevant, but the outcome. Sorry if I didn't made that clear.
Besides that, I totally agree with you. Context (which is somewaht similar to the term "Plot-Armor" I'm using here) is very important if you want to rate the duelists by their actual power level.

Honestly, I wouldn't even say that the outcome was irrelevant. It was its own little cliffhanger. In this case, it left the audience with the idea in their head of seeing those two Duel again, kind of like Kite and Mizar's first two Duels.

Sanokal
19th April 2017, 09:09 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't even say that the outcome was irrelevant. It was its own little cliffhanger. In this case, it left the audience with the idea in their head of seeing those two Duel again, kind of like Kite and Mizar's first two Duels.
Not to mention it foreshadowed their rivalry.

yshipster
19th April 2017, 01:59 PM

Not to mention it foreshadowed their rivalry.

True that. But even if Kurosaki had won, Dennis woudn't have revealed himself yet and they would still duel each other in the Friendship Cup, where Shun still would be suious (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/suious) (why does this word automatically get changed into something wrong, wtf?) about Dennis' skills.

EDIT: suious (are you kidding me??? Try to type it yourself plz...)

J. D. Guy
21st April 2017, 06:53 AM
True that. But even if Kurosaki had won, Dennis woudn't have revealed himself yet and they would still duel each other in the Friendship Cup, where Shun still would be suious (why does this word automatically get changed into something wrong, wtf?) about Dennis' skills.

EDIT: suious (are you kidding me??? Try to type it yourself plz...)

Even if he did win and they did go on to have their second Duel later, it wouldn't have been the first time when one win didn't solve all the issues. It took Yusei two whole different Duels and victories to break though to Akiza, for example.

(Yeah, that is weird. You might want to PM a mod or admin about that. It seems like a swear filter on the fritz or something, which would be weird, as this forums doesn't even filter anything.)

The mokey
22nd April 2017, 05:00 PM
suious, suius, SUIOUS, Suion, sus picious

Edit: seems to be the only way to write that

Charly Ruri Raptors
22nd April 2017, 10:39 PM
I would qualify them in Tiers:
Tier 0: Zarc( cause he is the final boss and got defeated by plot-device cards).
Tier 1 Yuya and Reiji(cause in the Arc V universe mastering the 4 sumouning methods makes you op).
Tier 2 Yuuri, Jack and Kaito(cause they were stated in one shape or another that they were the strongest from their respective Dimension).
Tier 2.5( Extremely competent duelists that had the spot ligth at one point and are stated to be extremely skilled ex: Serena/Sora, Yuuto/Shun, Yuugo/Crow/Rin and Yuzu/Gongenzaka).
I don't know where i would place Reira though.

KingKaash
22nd April 2017, 11:58 PM
To be honest, I find Yuri to be the least skilled of the Yu's. his entire strategy is "throw Starve Venom at it". he doesn't seem to have any other Fusions (his counterparts seem to have full extra decks) and most of his threat came from Starve Venoms Anime Only burn effect (otherwise Yugo would have beaten him)

and his Ancient Gears were in a seperate deck, no Dennis BS here

Also you forgot Ray, since she apparently Solo'd Zarc the first time around

I see your point with Yuri. I'm kinda biased and don't mind it since Starve Venom is a nice monster. But in all honesty, I wish they drove the Predaplant Counter strategy more in the show. I think that would've made Yuri look a lot better than the "throw Starve Venom out there" strategy you're mentioning. The combo loop against Yusho was pretty smart and he took 3 of the 4 Heavenly Dragons in his duel against Yuya which was also pretty impressive. But those are things he did with Yugo absorbed. I was actually tempted to write Yuri (Yugo Absorbed) when listing him but I chose not to. You make a good point though that he had no other Extra Deck monsters in the anime while all the others had at least one other instead of their Dragon.

As for Ray, I wanted to put her above Zarc but we technically never even saw her deck (another flaw with Arc-V) so I'd catch flak for listing her. Plus she also used the 4 specific cards to beat Zarc. We don't know if she's even good without them. So she's tricky to rate in my opinion

Good question. GX Edo started with the whole E-HERO copies and Shining Phoenix Enforcer to rival Jaden/Judai. But I really liked his Clock Tower Prison strategy in GX. That was a coherent strategy. In Arc-V, I couldn't get a sense of direction with what his monsters were trying to achieve. So I gotta go with GX Edo

---

And for this whole power ranking thing, it's totally based on a person's opinion. There's no definitive right or wrong answer. I think I mentioned in my original post that power rankings are based off of wins/losses vs the quality of opponent, boss monsters, overall deck strategy and does not include plot armor. It's honestly difficult to quantify any of those, let alone all of those together for each character. I'm just trying to have some fun and list out my opinion for the best with some combination of that criteria.

I define plot armor as what the storyline requires. As yshipster mentioned, there was no reason for the storyline and plot to have Kurosaki move on in the Friendship Cup and face Berserk Yuya. He did what he had to for his character and story and that was to expose Dennis. So naturally plot armor requires him to take the L against Crow. It was the Synchro Dimension and Crow made the cameo to play an important role and that was to get through to Yuya. So Crow had to win against to move on and progress the story and plot. But like Never Die said, a lot of duels are plot armor based so we can't just throw them all out. If you want to put Crow in Tier 2 then I can see your points and respect that.