PDA

View Full Version : Extra Deck limit increase!

Pendulum
19th March 2016, 05:27 PM
The title is pretty self explanatory.
What do you guys would think about an increase of the Extra Deck (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Extra_Deck) limit? If so, to how many?

This is something I've been thinking lately, as I would love to use more Extra Deck monsters, but just don't have enough space.
I would like the limit to be increased. Why? Because I like diversity and, personally, would like to see more monsters. Maybe to 20, no more.
When Fusion (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Fusion_Monster) Monsters were the only ones to occupy the Extra Deck, the limit was already 15. Nowadays we have tons of new Fusions and Synchros (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Synchro_Monster) and Xyz (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Xyz_Monster). Keeping the limit at 15 seems obsolete.
Though it would have a price, as it would also favour already strong decks with more tools for them to use. However, those decks already have all the tools they need. Nevertheless, an increase would allow them to use niche tools. That means certain decks would use those added spaces to use more Xyz, as it's the most popular Summoning mechanic. And cards like Ptolemaeus (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Tellarknight_Ptolemaeus) (which is, fortunately, currently forbidden) would have space for more fodder. So maybe certain rules could be created? Like limiting the quantity of each Summoning mechanic present on the Extra Deck? Would this work?
15 is a good number, though.

Opinions?

King
19th March 2016, 05:37 PM
Im fine with 15 on my Ekustora Dekki, increase the limit could unbalance the game.

LolsterXD97
19th March 2016, 05:39 PM
15 is fine, I would like it to have it at 18 or 20 and get more Extra Deck options, but that would be an annoyance agaisnt meta Decks.

Volteccer
19th March 2016, 05:41 PM
I've actually found I really only use 8 or less extra deck cards; the other 7 I only use occasionally. I think they could actually decrease the limit and make extra deck monsters more valuable, rather than just a toolbox.

SynjoDeonecros
19th March 2016, 05:51 PM
I think it could be bumped up to 20 and be just fine. Anything more than that, though, and it's going to be a pain to regulate.

Pendulum
19th March 2016, 05:55 PM
Yeah, meta decks would love it, definitively.

I've actually found I really only use 8 or less extra deck cards; the other 7 I only use occasionally. I think they could actually decrease the limit and make extra deck monsters more valuable, rather than just a toolbox.

Well, I don't use my 15 in one duel. Nor in a match. But I know if I had more of a certain Level/Rank, I could make use of them. And not all of them are toolbox. The ones people use the most kinda work that way, yeah, and that's what I would be afraid of too.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
19th March 2016, 07:34 PM
I feel like to compensate for that, they'd have to somehow slow down the pace at which you can summon from the hand/main deck. Would bumping the main deck minimum to 50 have much effect, I wonder?

Jakinus
19th March 2016, 07:49 PM
With Drifting Ghost & Winter Blossom coming in SHIV, I think that bumping the extra deck to 18 isn't a ludicrous idea, but something I don't see happening.

ScionStorm
19th March 2016, 09:15 PM
I'd say up it by 5. Make it an even 20. But no more than that.

Pendulum
20th March 2016, 01:18 AM
I feel like to compensate for that, they'd have to somehow slow down the pace at which you can summon from the hand/main deck. Would bumping the main deck minimum to 50 have much effect, I wonder?
That's also something I had thought. Nowadays, with the immense search power there is, a shuffled deck is almost the same as an ordered pile of cards (I'm using a hyperbole here). Bumping the minimum limit could slow down some decks, but not much, I think.

With Drifting Ghost & Winter Blossom coming in SHIV, I think that bumping the extra deck to 18 isn't a ludicrous idea, but something I don't see happening.
Nice pointed. But yeah, I don't see an increase happening in the future too.

Ziz
20th March 2016, 09:50 PM
That'd force Konami to add 10 more cards to Structure Decks, otherwise they wouldn't be playable straight from the box.

Drakylon
23rd March 2016, 10:21 PM
I'd be interested in a ruleset that didn't just limit total Extra Deck space, but also caps on each type of Extra Deck monster (Fusion, Synchro or Xyz). Right now, even though Konami's trying to promote using multiple styles in the same deck (DDD, Entities and Zefra, for example), it's just not possible with the limiting cap on the Extra Deck.

Perhaps a 25 card limit on the total Extra Deck, but a cap of 15 per type of Extra Deck monster.

Erickdsl
23rd March 2016, 10:43 PM
That'd force Konami to add 10 more cards to Structure Decks, otherwise they wouldn't be playable straight from the box.

Add 10 more useless reprints, profit. Anyways, i think konami will increase the number of cards in the extra deck any time soon. Mainly because of stuff like rank-ups and accel synchros that are necessary for some decks and limit your toolbox options.

Pendulum
23rd March 2016, 10:43 PM
I'd be interested in a ruleset that didn't just limit total Extra Deck space, but also caps on each type of Extra Deck monster (Fusion, Synchro or Xyz). Right now, even though Konami's trying to promote using multiple styles in the same deck (DDD, Entities and Zefra, for example), it's just not possible with the limiting cap on the Extra Deck.

Perhaps a 25 card limit on the total Extra Deck, but a cap of 15 per type of Extra Deck monster.

I actually forgot to mention that on my initial post. I had thought about that. Like, you can't have more than X Xyz/Synchro/Fusion cards.

KingJinzo
23rd March 2016, 11:44 PM
Up to 20. Having only 15 is annoying for some of my decks.

Kindrindra
25th March 2016, 02:53 AM
Honestly, I like the limit because it forces player to think about what cards to cut to achieve the results they want. Even if you increase the limit to help decks which dump out their Extra in succession (like Accel Synchro), it won't bring their toolboxing options up to par with more toolbox oriented decks, it'll just increase the toolbox power of both. Limiting each kind of Extra Deck card sounds like a good solution, and probably is, but feels a bit clunky to me (we don't limit how many Monsters/Spell/Traps you can have in the Main Deck, no matter how many Spell FTK decks are made). Additionally, it wouldn't actually increase the variety in monsters you see: Players would just start running multiples of the "best" options.

On the flipside, I would adore having more slots for pretty much all the reasons I just listed; I'd be so nice to slide in a second copy of a card so I don't have to worry so much about the first getting Solemn'd, or add a card which I really wanted but juuuuust didn't have enough space for.

Dance Princess
25th March 2016, 03:08 AM
The main decks that benefit from an increased Extra Deck space are the ones who tend to have cramped Extras because of being able to run a wide variety of different monsters: Shaddoll, especially some of its variants, suffered from this for a long time because you could run Fusions, Synchros, and Xyz monsters. An increase in Extra Deck space doesn't help decks like Tellars or Fire Fists, since they really don't get much of a toolboxing benefit, but decks that can run a whole bunch of different stuff have much more open to them and get a lot more powerful as a result. If you want decks that can run a whole bunch of summoning methods (which, to be fair, seems to be a pretty heavy theme in Arc-V related decks), then the Extra Deck limit is always going to hold you back.

In addition, it also helps out Synchro decks that can use a variety of levels (and less so for Xyz decks like Gagaga). Synchro climbing is interesting but its sometimes better to just add one or two levels worth of good cards and one or so extras (like, say, level 7 and 8 synchros and then maybe a chanbara or an armades). An Extra Deck limit boost would greatly increase the number of Synchro monsters these decks could run, and make Synchros like the Hot Red Archfiend series a lot more viable as a result.

tl;dr Increasing the limit is good. It doesn't give a massive boost to most Xyz decks because they run the grand majority of their options. This is not the case for other decks and helps with that.

Amaryllis
17th April 2016, 05:28 PM
Down to 10. Make players compromise between on-theme Fusion/Synchro/Xyz and the generic, all-purpose toolbox that's sucking the originality out of most Extra Decks.