PDA

View Full Version : Performapal engine vs. Magician engine

SynjoDeonecros
20th March 2016, 12:08 AM
So, we know that the Performapal engine is dead in the OCG, with the banning of Monkeyboard, but it's only crippled in the TCG, but people have stuck to it after moving on from the more robust Magician engine. So, which engine would work better for a general use? Also, what do you think is the minimum number of cards you need for each engine?

LolsterXD97
20th March 2016, 12:19 AM
For one reason Performapal was crippled but Magicians not, the consistency. Even if Monkeyboard and Joker are reduced to 1, Performapals still have plenty of searchers, there is also Guiturtle and Lizardraw which together are a nice substitute of Pot of Greed. 1 Monkeyboard, 1 Jokar and 2 of Guiturtle and Lizardraw would be the way to go at minimun. Magicians only have Wisdom-Eye and Pendulum Call (only counting in-theme searchers, not generic ones like Wavering Eyes), and these counter each other. But the way to go at minimum for me would be 3 Wisdom-Eye, 3 Dragonpit, 1 Dragonpulse, 2 Oafdragon and 3 Call.

SynjoDeonecros
20th March 2016, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I was trying to argue that to someone on Pojo when discussing which engine to put into a U.A. deck to make it more consistent, but he insisted that the limit of Monkeyboard and Joker killed the deck and Magicians were the only way to go. I mean, we've got 6 cards for the minimum necessary Performapal engine (8 if we have Odd-Eyes Unicorn in the mix), and 12 cards for the minimum necessary Magician engine. Frankly, I'd go with the smaller and more flexible of the two engines, myself...

Drakylon
23rd March 2016, 10:16 PM
I personally would argue against the necessity of Dragonpulse Magician, since not that many decks run Level 2s. Also, do note that Dragonpit Magician has a pretty good effect in the Pendulum Zone, and keeping Oafdragon Magician around helps fuel it.

Speaking of Dragonpit, is 3 really necessary? Duplicates are pretty much fuel for the destruction effect, and Dragonpit by itself is pretty useless in the hand. Still, even with 2 Dragonpit and 0 Dragonpulse, the engine still takes a quarter of an ideal deck.

Pendulum
24th March 2016, 01:56 PM
I personally would argue against the necessity of Dragonpulse Magician, since not that many decks run Level 2s. Also, do note that Dragonpit Magician has a pretty good effect in the Pendulum Zone, and keeping Oafdragon Magician around helps fuel it.

Speaking of Dragonpit, is 3 really necessary? Duplicates are pretty much fuel for the destruction effect, and Dragonpit by itself is pretty useless in the hand. Still, even with 2 Dragonpit and 0 Dragonpulse, the engine still takes a quarter of an ideal deck.

Dragonpulse is great removal. That's the reason why you would run it.
As for Dragonpit, I use 3, I need that high scale. I agree with Lolster:

3 Wisdom-Eye, 3 Dragonpit, 1 Dragonpulse, 2 Oafdragon and 3 Call.
Very accurate. But I've seen decks running only 1 Dragonpit, it depends where you want to focus more.

DelCtrl
24th March 2016, 04:00 PM
Do you want rad artworks for your scales? If yes, choose Magician.

Now, setting jokes aside, I personally prefer the magician engine because of Dragonpulse removal, the protection offered by Call and how even with a higher amount of cards, it's rarely dead. Plus, I like the interaction between Wisdom-Eye and Oafdragon.

But if you want a engine with the sole purpose of Pendulum Summon, that takes the least amount of deck space and is consistent, go with the Pals, they're still very good.

(Now I realize I just said the same as everyone in this thread)

LolsterXD97
24th March 2016, 04:15 PM
Dragonpulse is great removal. That's the reason why you would run it.
As for Dragonpit, I use 3, I need that high scale. I agree with Lolster:

Very accurate. But I've seen decks running only 1 Dragonpit, it depends where you want to focus more.

I know, I have seen Decks with 1 Dragonpit, but I would use 3 to equilibrate with the low Scales from the 2 Oafdragons and the 1 Dragonpulse, also that would be more fodder for the Magicians' Pendulum Effects.

Drakylon
24th March 2016, 07:02 PM
I guess my thoughts on the Magician engine has been skewed with my mucking around with it in a Madolche deck, which doesn't summon much over Level 4. Wisdom-Eye's 5 scale is high enough for that deck.

SynjoDeonecros
24th March 2016, 08:28 PM
Kinda kicking myself for selling my only Joker, but it should be low enough that I can snag another copy. Other than that, I do have a Guitartle, and plenty of Monkeyboard and Lizardraws. I'm just waiting for Odd-Eyes Unicorn to make a high scale I can use, and I'm good to go.

Pendulum
24th March 2016, 10:48 PM
I know, I have seen Decks with 1 Dragonpit, but I would use 3 to equilibrate with the low Scales from the 2 Oafdragons and the 1 Dragonpulse, also that would be more fodder for the Magicians' Pendulum Effects.
My thoughts exactly. I also use Sacred Sword of Seven Stars (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sacred_Sword_of_Seven_Stars), so it helps there. Also, along with Dark Magician, makes Summoner's Art more viable.

I guess my thoughts on the Magician engine has been skewed with my mucking around with it in a Madolche deck, which doesn't summon much over Level 4. Wisdom-Eye's 5 scale is high enough for that deck.
Well, that explains it. But if you desperately need to summon some cloggy Level 7s, Dragonpit can be a huge help.

Kinda kicking myself for selling my only Joker, but it should be low enough that I can snag another copy. Other than that, I do have a Guitartle, and plenty of Monkeyboard and Lizardraws. I'm just waiting for Odd-Eyes Unicorn to make a high scale I can use, and I'm good to go.
With its reprint on OP01, you may find it cheaper, I guess. At least here, from where I am, it dropped a bit.
Odd-Eyes Unicorn, despite being ugly as hell, is good. You can't splash it onto the Pendulum Zone with Insight, but it's a great alternative to Dragonpit, since it can be searched by Sky Arc. Thus making it having more targets, in case you want to run an OEPD, which, in turn, searches lots of useful tools, like Insight, for instance.
But I'd say for you to try different ratios, on online simulators.
However, if your aim is to use the Magician engine alone (with no Odd-Eyes), I believe Sky Arc won't be as useful, thus making Dragonpit a preferable choice, I think.

SynjoDeonecros
4th April 2016, 11:56 PM
Now that I think about it, with the limiting of Monkeyboard, there aren't really any good low-scale Performapal monsters that can work out, besides like Bit Bite Turtle or Camelump...

Volteccer
5th April 2016, 02:29 AM
There's Pendulum Sorcerer, at least.

SynjoDeonecros
7th April 2016, 09:30 PM
Well, there is that, if you've got the money for it. But, for a more budget-minded person like me, Pendulum Sorcerer isn't really an option.

SynjoDeonecros
15th April 2016, 02:18 AM
So, how gutted is the Performapal engine with the loss of Wavering Eyes? Same with Magicians with both Wavering Eyes lost and the limiting of Wisdom-Eye Magician.