PDA

View Full Version : Card discussion: Pendulum Storm

SynjoDeonecros
3rd April 2016, 02:14 AM
So, how good is this as an anti-Pendulum card? It's a Normal Spell, which makes it inferior to cards like MST or Twin Twisters, but it can nuke all Pendulum Scales on the field while killing off a troublesome Spell or Trap. It's not as good as say... Wavering Eyes, but could it be of use in today's meta?

Baroque
3rd April 2016, 05:56 AM
If it were to see any use, I'd honestly be expecting it mostly to appear as a side deck card; most decks that run Pendulums would rather run Wavering Eyes if they're going to be destroying their Scales for anything (or else would rather just run MST or Twin Twister for S/T removal), whereas decks that do not run Pendulums would rather read the previous text in parentheses as far as main deck options go.

After all, Pendulum Storm does pretty much hinge on someone having at least one card in the Pendulum Scales for it to be of any use, so if you're already using Pendulums [see "most decks that run Pendulums (etc.)"], and if you're not using Pendulums then you need your opponent to run them . . . which you have no guarantee of, Dracopals-be-damned. Hence, sideboard (if at all) is my estimate.

Now, as for how good it'd be at the job . . . well, you won't exactly be preempting any Pendulum Summons, but if you were trying to do that you'd be going for a Quick-Play Spell like MST, Twin Twister, or Wavering Eyes to begin with; as an 'I want my opponents' Pendulums to magically disappear' card goes, it is at least very thorough for no real input, and lets you take care of another pesky card in addition. How often that's going to be useful to you compared to more generic Spell/Trap hate, however, I honestly couldn't say but I certainly have my doubts. But, it at least does the job it sets out to do, so there's that at least.

Sanokal
3rd April 2016, 05:58 AM
Don't forget that wavering eyes might end up limited.

Hope in the Interstice
3rd April 2016, 06:01 AM
If it were to see any use, I'd honestly be expecting it mostly to appear as a side deck card; most decks that run Pendulums would rather run Wavering Eyes if they're going to be destroying their Scales for anything (or else would rather just run MST or Twin Twister for S/T removal), whereas decks that do not run Pendulums would rather read the previous text in parentheses as far as main deck options go.

After all, Pendulum Storm does pretty much hinge on someone having at least one card in the Pendulum Scales for it to be of any use, so if you're already using Pendulums [see "most decks that run Pendulums (etc.)"], and if you're not using Pendulums then you need your opponent to run them . . . which you have no guarantee of, Dracopals-be-damned. Hence, sideboard (if at all) is my estimate.

Now, as for how good it'd be at the job . . . well, you won't exactly be preempting any Pendulum Summons, but if you were trying to do that you'd be going for a Quick-Play Spell like MST, Twin Twister, or Wavering Eyes to begin with; as an 'I want my opponents' Pendulums to magically disappear' card goes, it is at least very thorough for no real input, and lets you take care of another pesky card in addition. How often that's going to be useful to you compared to more generic Spell/Trap hate, however, I honestly couldn't say but I certainly have my doubts. But, it at least does the job it sets out to do, so there's that at least.
I'd also like to mention Magical Springs against Pendulum decks that try to destroy their own Scales, which is also Quick-Play.

SynjoDeonecros
3rd April 2016, 06:49 PM
So, general consensus, it's possibly good as a budget side deck against Pendulums, but there's other options out there. Okay. I was just wondering, because I pulled 2 and I wasn't sure if I should use them or not.

SynjoDeonecros
14th April 2016, 04:41 PM
Huh, according to TCGPlayer, Pendulum Storm's picking up interest, now that Wavering Eyes is banned. How do you guys feel about that?

Sanokal
14th April 2016, 07:14 PM
I love being right.
It won't ever truly replace Wavering Eyes of course, but it is still valuable scale destruction that also nukes another S/T.

SynjoDeonecros
14th April 2016, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I've got two, so I'm wondering if I should side them into my Yosenju deck (even though I have a pair of MSTs and a pair of Twin Twisters for it), or if I should main them in one of my Pendulum decks...

Sanokal
14th April 2016, 09:16 PM
I think siding is certainly a good option. It depends how prevalent Pendulum decks will be after Dracopals got cut in half.

SynjoDeonecros
15th April 2016, 02:13 AM
Well, I've got three Pendulum decks: Draco Cavalry, Dark Doriado Draconia, and Dinomists, so yeah, any one of them I can use it in. I don't really have a side deck for any of my decks other than my Yosenju deck, and as I said, I already have 2 MSTs and 2 Twin Twisters in it, so I don't really need any more spell/trap/scale hate...

Sanokal
15th April 2016, 10:58 AM
Hmm. If that's the case then probably leave it out for now, especially in Yosenju, cause you really need your pendulum scales in your build, right?