PDA

View Full Version : Good chance I'll be leaving the game, now...

SynjoDeonecros
17th April 2016, 03:19 AM
... Not because of any saltiness over the competition or the ban list or whatnot, but because it's tearing my relationship with my boyfriend apart. We've recently had to deal with a insurgence of a rather nasty and poisonous competitive bit from him, which he'd often show off when he lost to people on Splatoon's online matches. He stopped playing that game, eventually, after nothing solved things, but since nothing really solved it, it came back today when he and I played a friendly game of Yugioh at the "local" card shop. He tried his best to bury his saltiness from me, but it was clear he was pissed off royally at how much I was crushing him. Just now, he admitted that he was having very venomous and hurtful thoughts about my luck and myself, and we ended up arguing over whether or not we should quit the game, with me in favor for it and him against, and he ended up saying something that caused me to panic and think he was going to commit suicide. Ended up calling the police on him, as a result, and while he fortunately didn't do anything to threaten his own or my life, he's going to be talking to the inpatient unit personnel about it to see what they think would be best for him.

I'm extremely frightened and concerned over this, and if I have to burn every card we have to prevent another relapse, I will, but I dunno what else to do, anymore, with him. Not to turn this into sour grapes, but it's not like there was much keeping us in the game, anymore; we learned that the place we went to hasn't had a Yugioh tournament for a while, and while they were trying to bring it back, it didn't look like it would be, any time, soon, so it looks like Yugioh is dying out in our area, entirely. Still, the fact that he nearly went after me, his own boyfriend, over a stupid game is disturbing, and it's heartbreaking that any of this had to happen, today... So yeah, if you don't see me online, anymore, that's the reason...

Sanokal
17th April 2016, 03:37 AM
Damn. That's a shame. But yeah, though it shouldn't be needed to be pointed out, if the game is affecting your relationship, then your relationship comes first.

ScionStorm
17th April 2016, 05:50 AM
Sounds like there might be more a need to see a psychiatrist or some kind of professional assistance with your boyfriend's state of mind. That kind of competitive is very unhealthy. Although I will say quitting any particular game will probably not solve that kind of problem. It will likely just find a new avenue down the road to rear its head from. Need to get to the source not just exact band-aid solutions. However this is your life and you know your situation better than I do so take what you will from this. Best of luck.

SynjoDeonecros
17th April 2016, 08:48 PM
Agreed. We talked about it, and he's thinking about going to the Sneak Preview this month, then going on hiatus for a while, while he talks with his psychiatrist about it.

Indytotof
17th April 2016, 09:24 PM
Agreed. We talked about it, and he's thinking about going to the Sneak Preview this month, then going on hiatus for a while, while he talks with his psychiatrist about it.

The most sage thing to do.

Have the best of luck.

See ya ! You'll be missed.

SynjoDeonecros
18th April 2016, 03:30 AM
Well, we won't be quitting the game entirely, just going on hiatus for a bit, and after the next sneak preview, so we've still got some time to work on things.