PDA

View Full Version : Anime Recommendations

Tamaru
15th September 2015, 07:10 PM
With around 40 new anime a year, it can be tough to weed through all the options. You don't want a carbon copy of something else, you're looking for something different, or maybe you just marathoned an anime you really liked and want something similar, or maybe you've given up on anime because of all the weird trash out there. Either way, this thread is here to help!

It's simple, recommend an anime and list its genre with at least 3 reasons why people should give it a try. Try to think it out a little bit. It can be your favourite anime, or an anime you recently watched, or even a standout anime of the season and/or genre. Just give the reasons some thought.

Anime Name
Genre:
Reasons:
+
+
+
[any extra notes]

As an extra, you can list an anime you really disliked, giving (good) reasons why people should avoid it.

I'll begin:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5114/Fullmetal_Alchemist:_Brotherhood)
Genre: Shōnen - Action/Fantasy/Drama
+ A large cast of main characters that are well fleshed-out.
+ Heartfelt and mature writing. Although it follows a complex storyline, it is built upon a classic foundation that allows the viewer to enjoy and invest in it without confusion.
+ Deviates from the trap of easy shōnen tropes; the main characters aren't necessarily the strongest, the most important, or the best, and their journey is about learning about themselves as much as it is about the physical conflicts around them.
Assuming there's anyone out there who hasn't already seen FMA: Brotherhood, it's a stand-out gem within the shōnen genre, a genre otherwise notorious for talking down to its audience.

Archfiend
15th September 2015, 07:32 PM
-Guilty Pleasure-

Kill la Kill
Genre: Action/Comedy-Drama/Magical Girl
+ Unique and interesting plot that isn't like most anime and actually tries to be different and break the norm.
+ Interesting set of characters that grab your attention quickly and don't let go of it until the end.
+ A wacky and crazy anime that has a lot of fanservice if you like that kind of stuff, but I wouldn't let that deter you from watching Kill la Kill since it does pick up later on and doesn't stop.

Tamaru
15th September 2015, 07:45 PM
Kill la Kill

I've noticed that on Netflix, and heard good things about it, but the initial look of it put me off. I'm not big on fanservice, the way to sell me is interesting characters and stories that deviate from tropes. If it has that, I'll defo check it out. :) Thanks for the recommendation.

Archfiend
15th September 2015, 07:47 PM
I've noticed that on Netflix, and heard good things about it, but the initial look of it put me off. I'm not big on fanservice, the way to sell me is interesting characters and stories that deviate from tropes. If it has that, I'll defo check it out. :) Thanks for the recommendation.

:D

How about you post a recommendation since the one you posted was only an example?

Tamaru
15th September 2015, 07:54 PM
:D

How about you post a recommendation since the one you posted was only an example?

Oh, no, that was a real one. :P I love FMA: Brotherhood, I've rewatched it twice in the last year.

I'll post another recommendation soon, but I want to give other people a chance first. Also want to see if people are interested in this thread or not.

Archfiend
15th September 2015, 07:56 PM
Oh, no, that was a real one. :P I love FMA: Brotherhood, I've rewatched it twice in the last year.

I'll post another recommendation soon, but I want to give other people a chance first. Also want to see if people are interested in this thread or not.

Alright, sounds good.

Thanako
15th September 2015, 09:00 PM
I'm going to recommend two anime that fall on complete different ends of the spectrum, yet for similar reasons.

Lucky☆Star
Genre: Slice of Life/Comedy
Reasons:
+ This is the anime that almost single-handedly made Nico Nico Douga the popular website that it is today. (I'm not making a stance on illegally streaming online, just stating a fact)
+ A lot of the humor still holds up all of these years later, although you probably won't get all of the references that it makes.
+ There's a lot of historical significance with this one, having many anime even now trying to copy it. You want to avoid carbon copies? Go for the original.

Mighty Atom/Astro Boy (1963)
Science-fiction/Action/Adventure
Reasons:
+ You wouldn't have anime as you know it if this masterpiece didn't exist.
+ If you can handle black and white anime, this one is absolutely timeless.
+ A story that you can't help but get invested in.
+ 100% mandatory for history buffs like myself who like anime.

Mystic TimeKeeper
15th September 2015, 09:42 PM
Getting some stuff in the topic:

The Big O (1999)
Mecha/neo-noir/tech-noir
Reasons:
+ Wonderful mesh of oriental and occidental style, the protagonists is basically Bruce Wayne with a Mecha;
+ It runs on a pretty dark setting but it's not heavy to watch, entertains well and leaves a lot of food for thought;
+ The robot's fights are smooth and well directed;
+ the music is well placed and fits the show perfectly
- Quite some people say the pace is pretty slow (didn't feel that personally but I prefer to mention it regardless);
- Gets pretty cryptic towards the end (which may be a plus for those who like that sort of genre).

It's actually quite hard to write this sort of thing...

xeroplazm
15th September 2015, 09:52 PM
Cardcaptor Sakura

Magical girl/Romance

Reasons:
+One of the best (if not the best) magical girl animes
+Lots of cute romantic moments
+Enjoyable characters with actual character development
+-Sort of basic plot so it's easy to follow but not that gripping
-Lots of filler
-Strays away from the manga way too much

Mystic TimeKeeper
15th September 2015, 09:54 PM
Cardcaptor Sakura

Magical girl/Romance

Reasons:
+One of the best (if not the best) magical girl animes
+Lots of cute romantic moments
+Enjoyable characters with actual character development
+-Sort of basic plot so it's easy to follow but not that gripping
-Lots of filler
-Strays away from the manga way too much

You forgot the Yuri and the Yaoi tags, unless in the anime it got axed away.

xeroplazm
15th September 2015, 09:56 PM
Oh yeah forgot about them. They're still in the anime but it's a lot more subtle since the main focus is on the main characters romance, rather than the supporting characters

kinoai
16th September 2015, 12:20 AM
+ Unique and interesting plot that isn't like most anime and actually tries to be different and break the norm.
I wouldn't say that the plot was particularly unique. The first act was essentially a video game, where the protag has to defeat a new boss each week to reach the final boss. The second act definitely had some noteworthy and unique moments, but sadly the third act fell back to the norm.

+ There's a lot of historical significance with this one, having many anime even now trying to copy it. You want to avoid carbon copies? Go for the original.
Lucky Star wasn’t the first sol school comedy, in fact Hidamari Sketch aired the season before it and Minami-ke and Sketchbook both aired the season right after it. Azumanga Daioh is definitely the oldest sol school comedy that I can recall off the top of my head, but I’m sure there may be other sol school comedy that are lost to the sands of time that preceded these shows.

Thanako
16th September 2015, 02:05 AM
Lucky Star wasn’t the first sol school comedy, in fact Hidamari Sketch aired the season before it and Minami-ke and Sketchbook both aired the season right after it. Azumanga Daioh is definitely the oldest sol school comedy that I can recall off the top of my head, but I’m sure there may be other sol school comedy that are lost to the sands of time that preceded these shows.

In this sense, it is copying the show's style rather than the genre. People aren't copying the genre, rather the most successful in it. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but just the influence and legacy that this one in particular had is enough to have said it as I did.

kinoai
16th September 2015, 06:09 AM
In this sense, it is copying the show's style rather than the genre. People aren't copying the genre, rather the most successful in it. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but just the influence and legacy that this one in particular had is enough to have said it as I did.
Could expand on how you believe that shows are copying Lucky Stars style?

Lucky Star isn't getting copied stylistically in fact it falls somewhere in the middle of the change in the moe art styles between the early 00's and now, falling in between the Kyoani key works art style (Air, Clannad, Kanon, etc) and the K-on/Im@s art style. Maybe it was the parody-esque nature of it that you're referencing, but I wouldn't say that that is extremely popular now. All I can really think of off the top of my head that is similar in that respect is Yuru Yuri. It also didn't start the moe craze so I'm not quite sure what you're referencing in terms of style.

Devocrown
16th September 2015, 07:12 AM
Rokka no Yuusha
Genre: Action/Mystery
Reasons:
+ At first it looks like your generic "LETS GO FIGHT THE DEMON GOD" anime but after watching it through its nothing like that...yet
+ The characters and dialogue in this anime is amazing, the tension and suspense in each word, the emotion...its incredible
+ New anime from this summer season and is ending soon this week, hopefully it gets a season 2. There so much a really want to say but the anime description gives away the secret so its best not to read any if you decide to watch this anime, the shock of it and going through the story on trying to solve the mystery is an enjoyable one.

Flamie best waifu

Hope in the Interstice
16th September 2015, 07:13 AM
I've been watching one that I haven't heard so much about from others and I found it by randomly stumbling around on TV Tropes.

Natsume's Book of Friends
Genre: Seinen — Slice of Life/Supernatural
+ Natsume, our protagonist, is your usual quiet, elusive sort of protagonist found in your usual cliché romps that's meant to be relatable. However, Natsume has a hell of a lot of backstory and personal motivations that not only justify and explain his behaviour but make him into a full-fledged character of his own.
+ The tone of the show is varied but, while the comedic segments can feel just a little bit forced and unnatural, they never detract from the overall ambiance of the show.
+ It's perfect if you want to feel good about yourself and the people around you.

Mystic TimeKeeper
16th September 2015, 07:43 AM
Flamie best waifu

You got that right pal.

Zarafkiel
16th September 2015, 08:01 AM
Kill la Kill

By any chance, have you watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? If you haven't, give this one a spin. Similar animation art style to KLK, mechas and just believing you can gets you everywhere~

Natsume's Book of Friends

I personally liked this one due to its tempo. Pretty unique art style as well, but at least Nyanko is responsible as heck despite being a fat cat.

Thanako
16th September 2015, 02:20 PM
Could expand on how you believe that shows are copying Lucky Stars style?

Lucky Star isn't getting copied stylistically in fact it falls somewhere in the middle of the change in the moe art styles between the early 00's and now, falling in between the Kyoani key works art style (Air, Clannad, Kanon, etc) and the K-on/Im@s art style. Maybe it was the parody-esque nature of it that you're referencing, but I wouldn't say that that is extremely popular now. All I can really think of off the top of my head that is similar in that respect is Yuru Yuri. It also didn't start the moe craze so I'm not quite sure what you're referencing in terms of style.

There were definitely a lot of knock-offs that came out shortly after. The sort of thing that leaves someone bitter. I suppose it's unfair to still harp on them even now, you're right. I know for a fact that there are still a couple of series that get adapted modernly that try to modernize the type of quirky humor that it presented, though. Not really a rip-off, but still clearly influenced by it while bringing a new dimension to it. It's just off of the top of my head, hmm...

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/636202498584281088/buNOmF4v.jpg

Anyway, at risk of going absurdly off-topic, I'll recommend another.

Dragon Ball
Not Dragon Ball Z. If you really want to experience what Toriyama can do, try the predecessor. It's a lot of fun and most of the issues people had with Z aren't too relevant here. If you like Z or Super, give it a go.

skittyxwailord
16th September 2015, 10:02 PM
Seeing some great suggestions! I'd also fully recommend anyone Puella Magi Madoka Magica (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=12120)

Pros:
Fantastic story
Excellent Characters
Plot Twists
Great art style

(Homura is my waifu~)

Mystic TimeKeeper
16th September 2015, 10:19 PM
Seeing some great suggestions! I'd also fully recommend anyone Puella Magi Madoka Magica (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=12120)

Pros:
Fantastic story
Excellent Characters
Plot Twists
Great art style

(Homura is my waifu~)

Don't want to shoot down people, but I'd actually list the art style as a minus, it worked for what they wanted to do but it still felt a bit out of place for me in some points, and I even got a friend that basically shotted down the whole series because "lol, moe".

Devocrown
18th September 2015, 07:09 AM
Edit: Please excuse some grammar and spelling mistakes, it's been a long day
So the last recommendation I did was sorta of rushed. This time I'll go more in depth to this hidden gem

Garo: Honoo no Kokuin

Genre: Action, Adventure, Slight Romance, Some Comedy

Now this anime was one that was under the radar for the lack of people who don't know about it. For starters this anime concept is based from a live action tv show in Japan so it does have that "Monster of the Week" element to it. Also I should mention that this anime is getting a second season this upcoming Fall season with brand new characters, so you can start there if you want.

Now let's start on why you should watch it
-The character development in this show was surprisingly better than I expected. At first it seems that a few characters a linear but once you get to know them a little bit more, and once the second arc begins, you enjoy them a whole lot more.
-German....that's it....best character of the show for....reasons
-The time period is something different than were used to. For season 1, were in the time period of the Salem Witch Hunts. Now the show doesn't use these words exactly but it is inferred and furthered explained in the show
-Makai Knights: now I won't go to much into details about them since the story explains it but essentially the protect everyone from horrors and will even sacrifice themselves to do it.
-Story is a good one to enjoy. It does start off a bit slow, but it does get better. Honestly the second arc is way better than the first hands down. (24 episodes for season 1 btw)
-The music is absolutely brilliant. Just listen for a moment and you'll understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI9r-_Logn0

Cons:
- Like I said earlier, pretty monster of the week heavy, but it doesn't detracted from the show too much
- Annoying side characters, one episode is basically just the side characters and doesn't advance the plot at all
- Some episodes can get a tad bit boring.

Now that I said all that you should definetly check it out. If you want to just start with Season 2 with all brand new characters and story, then check out the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gz-OzBnaSY

kinoai
19th September 2015, 04:17 PM
-The music is absolutely brilliant. Just listen for a moment and you'll understand
I dropped this show about 5~6 episodes in but I cannot help but agree with this.

Also this show has possibly one of the greatest op's of all time. If I had more nominations in dgz's battle of the anime ops I would have nominated it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8KW2PD1_BA