PDA

View Full Version : Paper TIgers (Wanghu Stun)

SynjoDeonecros
16th September 2015, 02:30 AM
The deck that took over 10 years to complete. (http://i.imgur.com/nsqabuW.png)

I've been trying to make this deck for over 10 years, from a lowly loosely-themed feline deck to what it is now. Ten long years. That's a lot of dedication here.

I love this deck. I've only dueled seriously with it in one local tournament, and the salt was real. Dueled like two or three players, back when Mecha Phantom Beasts were a thing, and they HATED my combo of Wanghu and Pumprincess. Seriously, the fact that those two cards' effects override the priority the opponent has to use their own summoned monster's effects is so key to the play, and it really rubs salt into the wound. Not sure how it would play out, nowadays, though, with all of the floaters and destruction-immunities and whatnot. Haven't played with the Traptrix engine, so I'm not sure how that's going to impact my plays. Before, I supplemented my plays with cards like Beast Rising and Spiritual Forest, which got even more salt with players, but those aren't cutting it, anymore, and honestly, I think I need to work more with my cards to put in something extra to beat face. Any suggestions would be appreciated on that front.

BEN
16th September 2015, 08:42 PM
Main deck looks pretty solid, but why not run galaxy cyclone over MST? As for extra, as much as I like sky pegasus, I think you should drop it in favor of a dark rebellion. Another xyz to consider in the future (or right now if you'll be using this online) might be the new traptrix xyz, (traptrix rafflesia) as well. I dunno how well it'd work, but it might be an interesting thing to consider.

SynjoDeonecros
16th September 2015, 08:45 PM
I'm working on a very limited budget, so Galaxy Cyclone is out of my paycheck, right now. As for sky Pegasus, I could buy another Dark Rebellion, but I just got Stellarknight Delteros, and I was thinking of replacing Utopic Future with it, so I guess I could replace Sky Pegasus with it.

BEN
16th September 2015, 08:59 PM
Well dark rebellion is getting the tin reprint this Friday, so it shouldn't be that difficult or expensive to get ahold of. And I agree that Delteros might be a good replacement for utopic future.

SynjoDeonecros
16th September 2015, 09:08 PM
Actually, I think I'll just swap the Dark Rebellion I have in my Yosenju deck for Delteros; it'll be easier to get Delteros out in that deck, unlike in my Wanghu deck, and as you said, Dark Rebellion is a good card in Wanghu.

The only other thing I've been thinking with this deck is either main or side decking Kaiser Colosseum; since I'm only going to be having one or two monsters on the field at any one time (ideally Wanghu and maybe either Rai-Oh or Pachycephalos), I can make use of it to stymie the opponent's summoning.

SynjoDeonecros
16th September 2015, 10:48 PM
Speaking of Traptrix, I found 2 Chaos Trap Holes in my collection, and thinking of buying one or two Time-Space Trap Holes, when the tins come out. As you see, I've already got 2 Deep Dark Trap Holes in my side deck. Should I side a Chaos Trap Hole and a Time-Space Trap Hole, and main the Deep Dark Trap Holes, or do the reverse?

SynjoDeonecros
19th September 2015, 06:37 PM
I've been told I need a way of reusing my monsters, and I already have a few Call of the Haunted, but I feel like there should be a few more boosts. I just got my two Jar of Avarice in the mail, but should I go with that or with Painful Return?

SynjoDeonecros
20th September 2015, 04:05 PM
As I said in my Yosenju deck, I'm abandoning this deck for now. I can never seem to be satisfied with any build of this, and I feel like a fresh start is in order, so as much as I love the deck and its strategy, I'm going to have to give it up for now.

SynjoDeonecros
21st September 2015, 05:22 PM
I thought I would have to dismantle this deck, but turns out I had just enough extra cards to be able to make it into a complete deck again. So I won't entirely abandon it, I just will have it as a side project. On that note, I'm considering putting in a pair of Pianissimo to help protect my monsters from being destroyed. Only issue is that they'll be dropped down to a really low ATK for the time they're protected, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it. Any suggestions on this?

SynjoDeonecros
7th October 2015, 12:14 AM
Why don't people play Banisher of the Radiance, anymore? It's a monster with the effect of Macro Cosmos, and it's got a decent ATK, as well. I've got a pair of them, and I'm tempted to replace Macro Cosmos and Dimensional Fissure in this deck with them.

Mystic TimeKeeper
7th October 2015, 08:06 AM
Why don't people play Banisher of the Radiance, anymore? It's a monster with the effect of Macro Cosmos, and it's got a decent ATK, as well. I've got a pair of them, and I'm tempted to replace Macro Cosmos and Dimensional Fissure in this deck with them.

Monsters are generally a lot more vulnerable than Spell/Traps (especially in TCG format), that said you can play both, but if fissure was at 3 I wouldn't really consider him.

SynjoDeonecros
7th October 2015, 03:47 PM
Well, Fissure isn't at 3, so having something similar with a body attached to it is something that's needed, I think. Better than Banisher of the Light, right?

SynjoDeonecros
15th October 2015, 10:39 PM
So, with the advent of Illumirage, I'm thinking of redoing my deck for a more aggressive build. Any help would be appreciated. Just remember that, since the current lore says that it affects ALL monsters on the field, to keep any of my monsters (including Wanghu himself) from being blown up by Wanghu's effect, By Order of the Emperor is ESSENTIAL.

SynjoDeonecros
30th October 2015, 07:14 PM
https://40.media.tumblr.com/64a462c5ed449af10906a2f4b99e401b/tumblr_nx1s4ly1G01ugh0uso1_1280.jpg

Updated this deck to fit in Illumirage. Dunno if it'll work out well, but any suggestions would be helpful.

SynjoDeonecros
20th November 2015, 07:40 PM
Still looking for suggestions on my updated deck. Getting around Illumirage's effect is going to be a pain with Wanghu out...

KingKaash
26th November 2015, 08:15 PM
So you took out the Traptrix element from your original deck and added Illumi'raj. Interesting. Illum'raj does go with the overall strategy of the deck. I hope they release Illumi'raj in the TCG.

SynjoDeonecros
27th November 2015, 12:04 AM
It's in the next set, so it should be.

SynjoDeonecros
27th November 2015, 01:21 AM
the banishing cards, good idea or no? I know that Kozmos is a big thing, right now, and they love banishing, so I dunno if I should keep those cards or not, and if not, what I should replace them with.

Also, are we absolutely sure Illumi'raj affects all monsters on the field and not the opponent's? Because I really don't want my entire deck to hinge on By Order of the Emperor...

clairedestroyer!
27th November 2015, 01:26 AM
It's been months, such an obvious error would have been noticed, especially for such a basic effect.

It's all monsters, end of story.

SynjoDeonecros
27th November 2015, 03:03 AM
Bah. Ah, well, if anyone would like to give me some advice on how to work this deck with that limitation, I'd be much appreciated.

SynjoDeonecros
25th January 2016, 04:53 AM
Hmm, is Al-Lumi'raj preferred in this deck? The fact that it nerfs the ATK and DEF of ALL monsters on the field instead of just the opponent's like Pumprincess or Burden of the Mighty is really a stickler for me, since that means any monsters that aren't weakened enough to be killed by Wanghu won't be able to be trampled over by it, and it puts your monsters in danger of being killed by Wanghu, themselves. But It's the quickest way of nerfing their ATK down enough for that, and it affects both levels and ranks, so it covers all monsters.

SynjoDeonecros
2nd February 2016, 08:11 PM
I'm thinking of dropping Macro Cosmos and Dimensional Fissure for a pair of Powerful Rebirths, to go with the third I'll replace Call of the Haunted with. Also, since Al-Lumi'raj will drop my monsters down to pitiable levels along with the opponent, should I throw in a trio of Photo Sabre Tigers? With two on the field, they'll be the strongest monsters available to me.

KingKaash
2nd February 2016, 11:48 PM
I'm thinking of dropping Macro Cosmos and Dimensional Fissure for a pair of Powerful Rebirths, to go with the third I'll replace Call of the Haunted with. Also, since Al-Lumi'raj will drop my monsters down to pitiable levels along with the opponent, should I throw in a trio of Photo Sabre Tigers? With two on the field, they'll be the strongest monsters available to me.

The Macros Cosmos/Dimensional Fissure banishing idea is good but replacing it is not bad either. Yea Al-Lumi'raj is tough on this deck. And how about instead of summoning two Photon Sabre Tiger you just power up King Tiger Wanghu with Horn of the Phantom Beast? Or even Axe of Despair?

SynjoDeonecros
3rd February 2016, 08:45 PM
Axe is an Equip, and thus won't save it if it's summoned after Al-Lumi'raj is out. Horn is okay, but it's limited to just Wanghu, which I don't like. I was thinking maybe Psychic Blade, but it has the same issues as Axe...

Just did a quick search, and it looks like my only option is Rising Energy, sadly; it is the only card I can use to raise the monsters' ATK up to suitable levels...

KingKaash
4th February 2016, 12:51 AM
Axe is an Equip, and thus won't save it if it's summoned after Al-Lumi'raj is out. Horn is okay, but it's limited to just Wanghu, which I don't like. I was thinking maybe Psychic Blade, but it has the same issues as Axe...

Just did a quick search, and it looks like my only option is Rising Energy, sadly; it is the only card I can use to raise the monsters' ATK up to suitable levels...

Oh ok you're still going to run Al-Lumi'raj. Now if you happen to get Wanghu out first and then Al-Lumi'raj or even Fossil Dyna afterwards then I assume you're going to use By Order of the Emperor???

SynjoDeonecros
4th February 2016, 12:59 AM
Yup, that's the plan. Though, with as many hurdles as I have to jump over to make the combo work, I'm wondering if it would just be easier and more practical to run Burden of the Mighty, instead...

KingKaash
4th February 2016, 01:11 AM
Yup, that's the plan. Though, with as many hurdles as I have to jump over to make the combo work, I'm wondering if it would just be easier and more practical to run Burden of the Mighty, instead...

I personally modified a little your deck for fun because this is my favorite deck I've ever seen online and the stun concept is fun. I preferred to run the 3 Burden of the Mighty and would add a lot more draw power maybe some Reckless Greeds to the deck in order to get Burden quicker. Burden matches better with Wanghu than Al-Lumi'raj in my opinion but hey I don't duel or own cards yet so don't believe me

SynjoDeonecros
4th February 2016, 01:22 AM
Well, only reason why I dropped Burden was because it didn't work against Xyzs, but now that people are moving into Pendulums and Fusions/Synchros/Rituals and more main deck-oriented decks, I guess I can bring it back...

KingKaash
4th February 2016, 05:50 AM
Well, only reason why I dropped Burden was because it didn't work against Xyzs, but now that people are moving into Pendulums and Fusions/Synchros/Rituals and more main deck-oriented decks, I guess I can bring it back...

I know it's a tough first turn draw, but if you get Burden and Wanghu early in the game then the monsters they summon to overlay for the Xyz Summon will be destroyed which prevents them from really Xyz summoning at all. But I understand. With Pendulums now, dropping an Xyz monster in the first few turns is a piece of cake for the opponent.

Jolan
4th February 2016, 06:09 AM
What about the trap card which lets you negate effects that activatr on normal summon?

Baroque
4th February 2016, 08:34 AM
If you can afford to Special Summon Al, perhaps Lose 1 Turn might do some good work? It'd also have the benefit of putting the kibosh on certain effects that could save themselves against Wanghu (101, Majes, etc.).

Jolan
4th February 2016, 09:20 AM
If you can afford to Special Summon Al, perhaps Lose 1 Turn might do some good work? It'd also have the benefit of putting the kibosh on certain effects that could save themselves against Wanghu (101, Majes, etc.).

I thought Majes were only immune to enemy card effects targeting or destroying them?

Baroque
4th February 2016, 09:31 AM
I thought Majes were only immune to enemy card effects targeting or destroying them?

That would be correct, and that would be why I mentioned them in that context (Wanghu destroys, after all, and Lose 1 Turn would not only save his own SS'd Al, but also endanger enemy Majespecters after the fact, aye?).

Jolan
4th February 2016, 09:33 AM
That would be correct, and that would be why I mentioned them in that context (Wanghu destroys, after all, and Lose 1 Turn would not only save his own SS'd Al, but also endanger enemy Majespecters after the fact, aye?).
Oooh, I misread it, thinking you could play Majespecters with Wanghu in the same deck, lol. If they were immune to destruction via own card effects I could see that being a fun combo!

SynjoDeonecros
4th February 2016, 02:55 PM
If I can't figure out a way of solving the issue with the way Al-Lumi'raj and Wanghu interact, I might drop the former entirely from my deck. I can get people quite salty with Pumprincess, regardless, anyway...

SynjoDeonecros
13th February 2016, 06:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sxWZ4im.png

How does this look? I'll have to get the Ape Fighters, but I figure that, with Al-Lumi'raj out, it's the best bet for a beater.

SynjoDeonecros
20th February 2016, 10:25 PM
I'm still uncertain with this deck. The main issue is working around Al-Lumi'raj; the fact that it affects all monsters on the field means my monsters are just as vulnerable to it and Wanghu together as the opponent's, and even though people are moving more and more away from Xyzs with the Pendulums out, they're still prevalent in the game, so I can't solely rely on Burden of the Mighty, either. What do you guys think I should do?

SynjoDeonecros
5th June 2016, 09:41 PM
Hmm, I got Powerful Rebirth, because all of my monsters are level 4 and lower, and I thought the extra 100 ATK would help offset Al-Lumi'raj's effect, but I forgot that it also boosts the monster's level by 1, making it so the ATK gain is offset by the added ATK loss from the extra level. I'm thinking Al-Lumi'raj isn't meant for this deck...

KingKaash
6th June 2016, 05:09 AM
Just curious how do you deal with Twin Twister? That can blow up Burden of the Mighty and Pumprincess in the S/T zones real quick.

SynjoDeonecros
6th June 2016, 01:09 PM
Don't really have an answer to that, honestly; maybe I should drop Al-lumi'raj for some solutions to it?