PDA

View Full Version : Action Duels and Action Fields

SynjoDeonecros
27th May 2016, 03:06 AM
So, something that kinda killed my interest in the Arc-V series, after the dimension hopping started, was the fact that they tended to stick to one Action Field Spell for the Action Duels. Now, I kinda understood it for the Riding Action Duels, since you have to keep the field balanced and fair for everyone, and the main spectacle for that duel was the riding part and not the Action part, but it seems like they're going to stick to one Action Field in the Xyz and Fusion dimensions, as well, which kinda sucks. They had an interesting thing going with the different Action Fields, in the first act of the series, though it was kinda limited by having most of the effects for said Action Fields be "You can use Action Cards, but only have one in your hand at a time"; I think only the Clock Tower Prison-inspired one that was used in Yuya's first duel with Sawatari was an exception, filling the field with Action Traps instead of Action Spells.

What do you think? Would you like this aspect of Arc-V explored, a little more? Or did it just clutter up the duels for you?

Volteccer
27th May 2016, 03:13 AM
I think it kept the background for the duel interesting when games were more regulated. Now that action duels can happen anywhere they don't need that; the setting itself changing helps with that.

I just wish they would release rules for real action cards. Considering how important they are in the anime and all.

SynjoDeonecros
27th May 2016, 03:20 AM
Well, the Speed Spells were essential to the Turbo Duels in 5D's, but they only "released" them in the latter 5D's-era World Championship games. I really doubt we'll be getting those cards released, not any time soon, and not without serious redesigning to make them more in line with the actual card game.

Also, I thought that it was impossible for them to have Action Duels without the Not-Holodeck technology installed? And that tech was so big, it wasn't portable enough to fit into a Duel Disk, unlike the Not-Holodeck technology of the first three series?

Dread Kaiser
27th May 2016, 03:24 AM
I think it kept the background for the duel interesting when games were more regulated. Now that action duels can happen anywhere they don't need that; the setting itself changing helps with that.

I just wish they would release rules for real action cards. Considering how important they are in the anime and all.

Speed World is first in line...

and Action cards would basically be impossible to implement IRL. the entire reason for them is:
A, make a card game look somewhat closer to typical Shonen combat (acrobatics letting the monsters dodge)
B, so they don't have to regulate character deck space for situational save this characters ass cards and by extent Drawing cards to give characters the cards they need after they burned half of their hand surviving the last turn. making duels easier to write by focusing more on setting up monsters and not exactly needing protection

IE they are replacing the role Yumas Half unbreak and reduce effect damage to 0 trap of the week and Xyzs Treasure (or this abomination (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Xyz_Treasure_Ticket)), and speed world 2s draw effect and Angle Baton and Yusei's various "Shooting Star isn't dying this turn" Traps in the form of a duel mechanic.

ScionStorm
27th May 2016, 03:37 AM
Action cards arent even real. They are produced by the field's solid state hologram program. The mechanic did make the game feel more athletic- more like a strategic sport. Which is pretty damn cool. They could work in a videogame but the only version in real life would setting an obstacle course and randomly hiding the extant spells throughout. Think card game+ American ninja warrior course+ Easter egg hunt.

Dread Kaiser
27th May 2016, 03:39 AM
Action cards arent even real. They are produced by the field's solid state hologram program. The mechanic did make the game feel more athletic- more like a strategic sport. Which is pretty damn cool. They could work in a videogame but the only version in real life would setting an obstacle course and randomly hiding the extant spells throughout. Think card game+ American ninja warrior course+ Easter egg hunt.

the only real way to implement it that I can think of would be an "Action Deck"
Once per turn Randomly draw a card in response to something you can respond to. if it fits the situation, good for you if not you add it to your hand

Volteccer
27th May 2016, 01:09 PM
the only real way to implement it that I can think of would be an "Action Deck"
Once per turn Randomly draw a card in response to something you can respond to. if it fits the situation, good for you if not you add it to your hand

The extra deck would probably be better. Most of the extra deck stuff is situational and only last one turn anyway; why not just make them spell cards?

KingJinzo
27th May 2016, 01:37 PM
Action Duels are obviously used to give the heroes a chance to save their asses without needing to draw situational cards that protect them (just look how many of the predecessor pulled those off). Honestly, Action Duels have a huge potential when it comes to characters who are really good in getting them. Yuya exploit that in the first episode, but it wasn't never as impressive afterwards. Tsukikage knows how to abuse this mechanic with style. I really hope that Yuya would become better in getting Action Cards to a point that he's broken. Instead of picking a card when he is in danger, he should do it everytime when something happens.

SynjoDeonecros
27th May 2016, 04:31 PM
What about the sudden shift from "needing an entire arena to create Action Fields" to "Now they're built into the duel disk"? Any explanation for that?

Volteccer
27th May 2016, 04:44 PM
What about the sudden shift from "needing an entire arena to create Action Fields" to "Now they're built into the duel disk"? Any explanation for that?

They probably analyzed how Shun's duel disk make stuff solid, and based it on that.

SynjoDeonecros
27th May 2016, 05:49 PM
They couldn't have upgraded everyone's Duel Disk with that technology in such a short amount of time. The Lancers, I can see, but not everyone involved in the battle royale before the dimension-hopping. Also, what will this mean for the future of the Action Duels?

ScionStorm
27th May 2016, 08:27 PM
They couldn't have upgraded everyone's Duel Disk with that technology in such a short amount of time. The Lancers, I can see, but not everyone involved in the battle royale before the dimension-hopping. Also, what will this mean for the future of the Action Duels?

Only the lancers have used the Action Fields since dimension hopping. Except for the Action Field Speed World which Reiji apparently whipped out of his ass. Did they give him access to a card programming machine or does he carry a portable one in those thigh-hugging white skinny jeans somewhere?

SynjoDeonecros
27th May 2016, 08:46 PM
So it's just the Lancers that have the portable tech, then? Interesting...

Sanokal
27th May 2016, 10:21 PM
They also only have Cross Over, so the full ARC System is still superior in entertainment and spectacle.

ScionStorm
27th May 2016, 10:47 PM
Yeah, it seems like in order to incorporate the Action Field system into the duel disks without over taxing the device the programming had to be simplified. Crossover has the barest detail of any action field. The floating planks aren't really properly shaded. It's a miracle they are opaque enough to hide the Action cards from being spotted from below.

SynjoDeonecros
27th May 2016, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I guess the fancy, multi-tiered architecture of the other Action Fields wouldn't make sense in a war across the dimensions, but it still is depressing that we won't be seeing them, anymore, likely...

Sanokal
28th May 2016, 12:47 AM
Yeah, I guess the fancy, multi-tiered architecture of the other Action Fields wouldn't make sense in a war across the dimensions, but it still is depressing that we won't be seeing them, anymore, likely...

Well, they are at a You Show Duel School with Yusho, who helped invent both the ARC System and Action Duels...

SynjoDeonecros
28th May 2016, 03:05 PM
Yeah, but Yuri managed to cut the student population of that school down significantly with his visit, so it's unlikely they'll do anything like the old Action Duels this late in the series.