PDA

View Full Version : If you were suddenly put in charge of Konami, what would you do with the game?

Dread Kaiser
14th June 2016, 05:12 AM
You have total control. Banlist, card creation, errata's, you name it. what would you do with it?
inb4 unbanrulers/stratos

I'd ban or errata a shitload of searching cards, and introduce more archetype locks.
Slow the game down, focus on diversity and make GenericExtra.dek unviable

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
14th June 2016, 05:20 AM
Start over. Not saying I'd end YGO in its current form, but rather make a new TCG that's basically a YGO clone, even featuring a lot of the same cards, but altered in order to streamline effect interaction, rulings, and maintain a sense of balance.

ScionStorm
14th June 2016, 05:59 AM
You have total control. Banlist, card creation, errata's, you name it. what would you do with it?
inb4 unbanrulers/stratos

I'd ban or errata a shitload of searching cards, and introduce more archetype locks.

Same for me for a lot of those. For fun I would also try to do better merchandising for the game. There's a $h!+ ton of material invented by the game that is just begging to be mined for merchandising. Easiest immediate example: Why the hell aren't they pushing Frightfur/Fluffal pushies? Pokemon makes a killing with this stuff. Not to mention Deskbots...

I would also invest in building a working Duel Disk with Pendulum slots and well-balanced. And then I would diversify chassis to provide different models. Only a few would be available in stores, but you can buy the specialty ones online (and if they become popular enough they could go to market). Ones like the Gun Disk used by O'Brien and the Six-shooter from 5Ds. You could also get them in different colors. Technologically, well, see what is plausible at this time. I've always wanted to hook up a duel disk to a game console and play a Yugioh game using a duel disk and my actual deck.

I would errata Mutant Mindmaster into a Psychic-Type. Introduce Illusionist-Type and Armor-Ability. And then I would re-instate the Korean WP cards at 10 instead of 5.

Lastly, twice a year there would be a special pack like the Movie Pack. Except it would cover 1 season of the series with unreleased cards, retrains and signature moves etc, plus rare reprints. This would continue passed DM and into GX and onwards.

Sanokal
14th June 2016, 06:10 AM
It would be interesting to simultaneously release several equal decks (as in more than current, say, at least six or eight) and see how that would work.

King
14th June 2016, 11:01 AM
I would kill the game.

Mofiz
14th June 2016, 07:37 PM
inb4 unbanrulers/stratos

Create a fuckton of consistent cards that discourage people from overextending and playing like a bitch. Or just netdeck by punishing too much usage of a single archtype.
Only way to do that on a maximum would be cards that work directly from the Deck or Extra if your opponent is overdoing it

For example:
"If your opponent controls 4 or more Set Spell/Trap Cards, you can send this card from your Deck to the Graveyard: For the rest of this turn, your opponent cannot activate Spell/Trap effects. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effects activation"

"If the activation of a card you control is negated by an opponent's card effect for the second time this turn: Send this card from your hand to the Graveyard and activate one of the following effects OR if the activation of a card you control is negated by an opponent's card effect for the third time this turn: Send this card from your Deck to the Graveyard and resolve one of the following effects:
-Destroy all Spell/Trap Cards your opponent controls
-banish all monster your opponent controls.
Then add 1 Monster from your Graveyard to your hand. Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to this effects activation.

"If you had 8000 or more LP at the beginning of this turn and your opponent declares a direct attack with a monster whos ATK is equal to or higher than your LP: You can Special Summon this card from your Deck and end the Battle Phase. You take no further damage this turn"

Sounds broken for scrubs, but is the only possible method of discouraging and countering what is ruining the game: Fast game ending/OTKs and Lockdowns. Just the existence of these cards alone would be reason enough for everyone not to play like an asshole

cypher32
15th June 2016, 12:08 AM
Good Question. My answer is as follows:

a) I would stop trying to be a corporate douchebag, and make everything revolve around money

b) I would do what MTG and Vanguard did, and hire REALLY talented artists to draw the artwork for cards (Not that the artwork is bad or anything, I'm just trying to make it a little better)

c) Ask (Beg) Kojima to come back, and help design some sick new themes and archtypes

d) For once in my life, I WOULD SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO THE FUCKIN PLAYERS!!!!! If the players want something, it will be my duty to make it happen

And that ladies and gentlemen, is how I would run Konami.

ScionStorm
15th June 2016, 12:12 AM
I would invest in building real life Duel Runners because why not?

King
15th June 2016, 02:11 AM
I would build a wall in Xyz-Land to keep them away from Ritual users, and banish all illegal Ritual Monsters in the country.

Make Yu-Gi-Oh! Great again.

Dread Kaiser
15th June 2016, 02:39 AM
Good Question. My answer is as follows:

a) I would stop trying to be a corporate douchebag, and make everything revolve around money

b) I would do what MTG and Vanguard did, and hire REALLY talented artists to draw the artwork for cards (Not that the artwork is bad or anything, I'm just trying to make it a little better)

c) Ask (Beg) Kojima to come back, and help design some sick new themes and archtypes

d) For once in my life, I WOULD SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO THE FUCKIN PLAYERS!!!!! If the players want something, it will be my duty to make it happen

And that ladies and gentlemen, is how I would run Konami.

awesome, but whay would you do with The Game

DelCtrl
15th June 2016, 03:32 AM
Balancing the game would be crucial but I won't give any examples because I don't have an answer to this yet. This game is pretty complex to claim to have a definitive answer. But what I really would want to do is:

Introduce new Formats. Like, make Tag-Duel Tournaments, create a Deck Master format (like MTG's Commander but more on par with the Virtual World season of the anime) and research on how to introduce new and innovative formats every now and then. The Advanced Format would, of course, still be the main one, and I won't make set rotations on this format, but it could be a secondary format or something like that. Oh, and make something like Duelist of The Roses, but with updated rules (I'm actually working on this one).

Not directly related to the game, I would also work on better merchandising to both exiting players and to catch new ones. Plushies and figures of new and old cards are one example, but Konami is a game company (or a pao company now) and making a game to explore the lore behind the card game would be my greatest achievement as head of Konami. Yu-gi-oh! is a big franchise and as much as I like the anime, the franchise don't have to rely on it for everything.

Plus, I know everyone wants an RPG themed after the Yu-Gi-Oh! lore. Just imagine buying Potions of the Old Man, going to Dian Keto to heal up and battling through hordes of iconic monsters, maybe also adding them to your party like Shin Megami Tensei demons.

... Just let me dream...

ScionStorm
15th June 2016, 03:50 AM
Plus, I know everyone wants an RPG themed after the Yu-Gi-Oh! lore. Just imagine buying Potions of the Old Man, going to Dian Keto to heal up and battling through hordes of iconic monsters, maybe also adding them to your party like Shin Megami Tensei demons.

... Just let me dream...

WoW for Yu-Gi-Oh!. With different dimensions. Terminal World among many others. Using Sony's new VR tech. Basically, the game Kaiba was working on before Battle City.
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/yugioh/images/2/22/Yugioh044.png/revision/latest?cb=20140106225421

cypher32
15th June 2016, 10:55 AM
awesome, but whay would you do with The Game

Oh, that's what this is about? Man, I cannot read before I answer...

Anyways, like I said, I'd hire really talented artists for the artwork, and drag Kojima back to help get the fans excited, and develop some sick new themes and archtypes. For tournaments, I would probably improve the prizes handed out at major tournaments, kinda like magic is doing. Especially at world tournament finals. Another thing I would do, is to meet with rivals like Bushiroad and the company that makes Force of Will, and we'd have a crossover, with cards from the different games getting their own yugioh versions and vice versa (Imagine Dark magician as a vanguard card, or Blaster Blade as a yugioh card), to gather interest from a large number of fans, and get everyone into our game (well, and theirs). Promos for everyone!!

For the forbidden list, I would listen to THE PLAYERS, and through surveys and questionnaires, determine what cards should rightfully be banned, limited, etc. Fan card design competitions, with the winners able to design their own archtypes. Finally, I would change my motto, into something like "By the players, For the players" How'd that sound!