PDA

View Full Version : About Fishborg Blaster...

Hope in the Interstice
17th September 2015, 09:29 AM
I'd like to preface this by saying I only started playing this game again around about the time Legacy of the Valiant was coming out. As such, I haven't even got experience with Dark Strike Fighter let alone Brionac.

That said, do you guys think Fishborg Blaster could come back? Why or why not?

Blue
17th September 2015, 03:38 PM
It was banned because of dumb otks and the fact that it was a recurring tuner. Though now that we have pendulums, it could be safe at lower numbers. Possibly after we get true restrictionless Pendulum tuners

Dread Kaiser
17th September 2015, 03:50 PM
well don't forget, no matter what that Restrictionless pendulum tuner will ALWAYS have the restriction of "Needs Scales"
Fishborg just needs....essentially a frog on teh field

Mystic TimeKeeper
17th September 2015, 03:59 PM
If someone at the top brass decides to push WATER Synchro decks they may bring him out, but a "once per turn" errata would make this seem more believable.

Sadly I don't remember how the combo went, but I remember there was stuff done with Coelacanth that left you with 1 or 2 Quasars and like 6 cards in hand (I think it needed at least 2 T.G. Librarian though).

Dread Kaiser
17th September 2015, 04:06 PM
I wasn't playing competitively at the time so I could be mistaken but I believe it was the Frognarch thing
sync with Treeborn for formula for more draws

I think there was something with Superancient Deepsea King Coelacanth too, but I don't remember details. I think it was something like: use SADKC to summon Roal swamp eel, Blaster and Deepsea macrotrema and some other level 4 to go into Shooting Star Dragon off of a Discard (which was refunded by Formula)

It could probably have been a Quasar thing too. hell it could drop Red Nova if you wanted. all off a discard

Mystic TimeKeeper
17th September 2015, 04:13 PM
Fishborg was an offender, but when Librarian got out people really got creative, 3 of that thing made the plusses real, reminescent of when Card of Safe Return was still around (how much time ago was that? I feel old thinking about these things).

JemGryphonkin
17th September 2015, 07:17 PM
I used Fishborg in Cloudian Quasar, similar to Coelecanth.

AccelRainbowDashley
17th September 2015, 08:56 PM
Big synchros were an issue, that's true, but Mass Driver is what made the card stupid. It was a consistent enough deck that it won many major events and was promptly obliterated afterwards. As long as Mass Driver is kept away, Fishborg could potentially make a comeback at 1, or with an errata, although I'm not overly fond of erratas to begin with.

Dread Kaiser
17th September 2015, 09:31 PM
I don't think that an errata would be needed in this case

Yuuri
17th September 2015, 11:04 PM
Fishborg Blaster might as well become limited/unlimited. Really, most decks these days can defeat a player in two turns with less resources, so making a Synchro based deck viable again would not hurt.

If anything, Konami could always reprint it with an errata change. At least there would be no reason to have Fishborg Blaster forbidden at that point.

Mofiz
18th September 2015, 05:55 AM
As much as I love Synchros, a Tuner with unlimited revivals is just stupidly designed. No matter if it becomes relevant or not, an effect like this just shouldn't exist in the first place. Errating it into Once per Turn would make it fine.

GG Ravelphax
18th September 2015, 06:52 PM
Because Neptabyss isn't enough for Mermails.

It won't happen. Too few restrictions and being able to activate it as many ties as possible on a turn is terrible design.

Hikarui
18th September 2015, 10:38 PM
Being able to Revive itself for unlimited times is pretty darn broken

Dread Kaiser
18th September 2015, 10:45 PM
Honestly I wouldn't give a damn. there so so much worse it would mean exactly nothing.

Thanako
19th September 2015, 01:11 PM
It will come back, just not as you are used to it. Konami has been wanting to clean up the restricted list for awhile, and has been slowly dishing out newly-errata'd cards. People have their opinions, but the card is just a bit toxic for the game as it is now (see, I have an opinion too).

Mofiz
19th September 2015, 02:01 PM
If it matters or not, some cards are just stupidly designed. Prophecys would never make it back to meta and yet Judgment has to stay banned forever, simply because it's a stupid as fuck card.

Blue
19th September 2015, 04:29 PM
There are always those cards that scream "What were they thinking?"

Then there's the ones on the list that seem innocent enough until you realize their potential. Like take Mind Master for instance. Pay 800, tribute another psychic (not even himself), special 1 lv4 or lower psychic from deck.

It seems pretty fair. Then you remember that Brain Research lab is a thing. So you can mitigate the 800 point cost. Still not that terrible. You still have to tribute a psychic.

But wait. It's not a once per turn effect.

Then the stupidity begins.

The worst part is, Konami didn't even learn from that mistake. They made Fishborg blaster with seemingly "heavy" restrictions but no once per turn or self banish clause a full four packs later.

There are so many cards sitting on the banlist right now that if they had a simple "You can only use the effect of X once per turn" it would be fair.

Flumpor
19th September 2015, 06:02 PM
Fishborg Blaster won't see a return because what's the point?
If it turns out to be super strong in lets say Mermail/Atlanteans (not sure if Blaster Triggers Atlanteans) or a Colecanth OTK Deck then it will be incredibly toxic for the game.
If you Errata it so it is useless, then what's the point of even bringing it back (Sinister Serpent).
And if it does nothing, well then you have just taken a risk without any pay-off.
Let's face it this card is terribly designed and even though it might not do anything right now, it could limit design space because this card will just be a living time-bomb. Maybe it does nothing when it comes off the list, but once a Deck can abuse it, oh boy will you hate this card.

Lord Bunilla
21st September 2015, 09:19 AM
I'd like to preface this by saying I only started playing this game again around about the time Legacy of the Valiant was coming out. As such, I haven't even got experience with Dark Strike Fighter let alone Brionac.

That said, do you guys think Fishborg Blaster could come back? Why or why not?

Mermail. It triggers Atlantean cards and Gunde, while granting you additional cards using Formula Synchron etc. Limit him to once per turn (as in, "You can only Special Summon 1 "Fishborg Blaster" per turn.") and we might have a deal. Either that or banish him when he leaves the field.

Hope in the Interstice
21st September 2015, 09:45 AM
I have to say, this was a very informative thread and I'm glad to have made it.

Dread Kaiser
21st September 2015, 01:26 PM
I have to say, this was a very informative thread and I'm glad to have made it.

Might I recommend doing the same for TIV or TER
That might be entertaining...
or unerrata'd DSF, some people don't realize how stupid that thing was

Mofiz
21st September 2015, 01:39 PM
Might I recommend doing the same for TIV or TER
That might be entertaining...
or unerrata'd DSF, some people don't realize how stupid that thing was

Could you write those cards in normal. I've not been here for long enough to see some stupid banned cards and note their shortened names.

Hope in the Interstice
21st September 2015, 01:42 PM
Could you write those cards in normal. I've not been here for long enough to see some stupid banned cards and note their shortened names.
Tribe Infecting Virus and Thousand-Eyes Restrict.

Dread Kaiser
21st September 2015, 02:05 PM

for future note, teh Wikia DOES have Redirects for the shortened names so you can type them in there

Lord Bunilla
21st September 2015, 02:14 PM
for future note, teh Wikia DOES have Redirects for the shortened names so you can type them in there

You put too much faith into the normal internet user, honestly.