PDA

View Full Version : How Aster/Edo Phoenix Was Mishandled & Should Not Have Been Commander-In-Chief

KingKaash
28th June 2016, 02:10 AM
In this duel dense, plot lacking Xyz Arc, I personally think Aster/Edo has been mishandled to the point where they shouldn't have even made him the one to cameo from GX. First off, I liked Edo from GX. He was powerful and professional but was never a chummy, buddy guy with Jaden/Judai and the gang. This Edo is different and that's why they made a mistake giving him the title of Commander-In-Chief. He doesn't deserve it.

1) Edo's deck does nothing to combat Pendulum Summons/Special Summons: If you are the Commander-In-Chief of the Fusion Dimension, you should have loads of Fusion monsters at your disposal to unleash on your enemies. This goes back to the Xyz arc being rushed and maybe Edo not having enough time, but all we see is one D-Hero fusion so far as of Episode 111. More importantly, his deck does nothing to counter the strategies of his rivals, the Lancers. The Tyler sisters happened to mention that they knew they were facing the Lancers so they had a strategy in place that would counteract the SS of the Lancers. Edo just uses good old D-Heroes with stat attack and a little burn. His monsters should've shut down SS as well. Barrett's cards do it albiet in an OP unappealing way. Even the Obelisk mooks had a trap card that only forced Fusion monsters to be played. Now is it dumb to expect D-Hero to specifically focus on beating Pendulums. Of course. But they should have some kind of SS shut down ability, especially since the opposition SS at a rate that's never been seen. This mishandling leads to flaws in Edo's power and status in my opinion. He doesn't come across as the ominous threat that a Commander-In-Chief should have.

2) Edo might join the Egao cult: If you're the Commander-In-Chief of the Academia army, you should be so twisted and evil that the ways of Egao should never move you. But now there is a possibility that Edo may help the Yuya and the Lancers in their fight against Academia as shown in the preview of Episode 112. I have no problem with Edo the character joining the Egao side. I have a problem with him being the Commander-In-Chief of the Fusion Dimension and then joining the smiles side.

Edo may do a heel turn and screw the Lancers later which would redeem him in my eyes but I doubt it. And there may be other Commander-In-Chiefs in the Academia army, as it was mentioned that Edo was the CC of the Xyz wing. But with a proposed limit of only bringing 2 characters back from each of the previous series, it's unlikely that Zane/Kaiser returns as the actual badass CC.

And my post is overplayed if you think I'm putting too much emphasis on the title of Commander-In-Chief. But forgive me for thinking that someone with that title isn't as sinister as Yuri or Leo Akaba. Basically characters like Kaiser or star pupil Yuri should be given such titles.

LolsterXD97
28th June 2016, 02:13 AM
The reason he should not be Commander-In-Chief is that he let his emotions get the worse of him instead of focusing in his job. I bet the whole Arc Are Project was progressing slowly thanks to the boss of the Xyz expedition being busy searching a guy he has lost to instead of carding people.

KingKaash
28th June 2016, 02:20 AM
The reason he should not be Commander-In-Chief is that he let his emotions get the worse of him instead of focusing in his job. I bet the whole Arc Are Project was progressing slowly thanks to the boss of the Xyz expedition being busy searching a guy he has lost to instead of carding people.

100% true. Professor gonna be pissed

KingJinzo
28th June 2016, 02:02 PM

What do you expect for someone who is, I don't know, slightly over 16?

KingJinzo
28th June 2016, 02:17 PM
2) Edo might join the Egao cult: If you're the Commander-In-Chief of the Academia army, you should be so twisted and evil that the ways of Egao should never move you. But now there is a possibility that Edo may help the Yuya and the Lancers in their fight against Academia as shown in the preview of Episode 112. I have no problem with Edo the character joining the Egao side. I have a problem with him being the Commander-In-Chief of the Fusion Dimension and then joining the smiles side.

The thing is that we cannot be even sure that the members of Academia are really truly evil. Yes, carding people is evil and they have shades of being evil, but they aren't aware of how bad carding people really is and that they are going too far. Especially, since the Professor convinced them that carding people is for the sake of "justice" or the "greater good" or something like that. It is also shown in-universe that Entertainment Dueling has a strong effect on people and can change them slowly, most particularly Yusho's and Yuya's, regardless how silly it actually looks. It changed Sora, Grace and Edo. Even Dennis is more or less conflicted. And most members of Academia don't know what normal fun actually is and they only saw dueling as a tool of war. The innocent and fun aspect of dueling is unknown to them and it affects their heart, since it's the first time they enjoyed something "normal" in a duel.

KingKaash
28th June 2016, 11:09 PM
The thing is that we cannot be even sure that the members of Academia are really truly evil. Yes, carding people is evil and they have shades of being evil, but they aren't aware of how bad carding people really is and that they are going too far. Especially, since the Professor convinced them that carding people is for the sake of "justice" or the "greater good" or something like that. It is also shown in-universe that Entertainment Dueling has a strong effect on people and can change them slowly, most particularly Yusho's and Yuya's, regardless how silly it actually looks. It changed Sora, Grace and Edo. Even Dennis is more or less conflicted. And most members of Academia don't know what normal fun actually is and they only saw dueling as a tool of war. The innocent and fun aspect of dueling is unknown to them and it affects their heart, since it's the first time they enjoyed something "normal" in a duel.

I can agree that we're not certain if Academia is evil. The actions suggest it but I bet there is some motive to it that might not actually be all that bad.

Maybe Egao is the evil and Academia is trying to stop that jk jk

Yusho and Yuya's principles of Egao and having fun will definitely change a person. And in the back of my mind, I knew the character of Edo would renounce the Academia ways. So maybe my complaint is that it happened too early. I expected a Commander-In-Chief to be the last line of defense for the Professor. Like even after characters like Sora, Dennis, Tyler Sisters etc. had been converted to Egao, the Commander-In-Chief would be resilient and still side with the Professor.

Sanokal
28th June 2016, 11:11 PM
The main problem is that it still isn't clear what the main plot of the season is.

KingKaash
28th June 2016, 11:14 PM
The main problem is that it still isn't clear what the main plot of the season is.

Are you referring to this Xyz arc we're in right now or the show in general in its entirety?

ScionStorm
29th June 2016, 01:25 AM
I feel like this judgement is premature given we know nothing of Edo's past prior to meeting Yusho, we don't know why he was selected for his position. All we can guess is that he was deeply brainwashed and Yuya just scrubbed that cranium clean and filled it with smiles.

Sanokal
29th June 2016, 03:06 AM
Are you referring to this Xyz arc we're in right now or the show in general in its entirety?

This "arc" if you will. The Pre-Arc League Championship and the Arc League Championship - the Standard Dimension - was Season 1. The Friendship Cup and Friendship Cup Finals - the Synchro Dimension - was Season 2.

KingKaash
2nd July 2016, 01:05 AM
This "arc" if you will. The Pre-Arc League Championship and the Arc League Championship - the Standard Dimension - was Season 1. The Friendship Cup and Friendship Cup Finals - the Synchro Dimension - was Season 2.

Ahh I understand now. You're right that it's unclear and maybe like ScionStorm is saying, it's too premature because we don't know enough. But from what I have seen, I'm not a fan of his handling to this point. And for all we know, this might be it for Edo soon. Just like we left Jack and Crow in the Synchro Dimension.

Sanokal
2nd July 2016, 01:54 AM
Ahh I understand now. You're right that it's unclear and maybe like ScionStorm is saying, it's too premature because we don't know enough. But from what I have seen, I'm not a fan of his handling to this point. And for all we know, this might be it for Edo soon. Just like we left Jack and Crow in the Synchro Dimension.

I doubt it. He still has to meet Yusho and admit that he was right.