PDA

View Full Version : Thousand Eves Restrict vs Replay Rule

R3QU13M
5th July 2016, 08:35 PM
While on ygopro today, I've came across this matter and I'm not sure if its a bug or not within pro itself.

Basically the opponent attacked me directly, I activated Call of the Haunted reviving Restrict, then the opponent was allowed to attack again by the basic replay rule. But what contradicts this is Restrict's effect that prevents all other monsters from attacking.

So I am left wandering was it a bug or is Restrict able to die by the Replay game mechanic?

Dread Kaiser
5th July 2016, 08:43 PM
While on ygopro today, I've came across this matter and I'm not sure if its a bug or not within pro itself.

Basically the opponent attacked me directly, I activated Call of the Haunted reviving Restrict, then the opponent was allowed to attack again by the basic replay rule. But what contradicts this is Restrict's effect that prevents all other monsters from attacking.

So I am left wandering was it a bug or is Restrict able to die by the Replay game mechanic?

yeah, I've ran into that a few times, its no bug
Thing is, a replay is just reasigning the attack target, nothing more. The Attack was already declared, a replay does not redo the entire Attack sequence, only the target (or if they want to continue attacking)

in short
1, Attack Declaration
2, pick attack target
3, CotH causes Replay, Redo step 2
4, Player picks to continue attacking the new target, Attack was already declared before TER hit the board so TER does nothing, also too late for Mirror Force, etc.

there is NOT a new Attack declaration, so things that stop Attack declaration (like TER) or Trigger on them (battle traps ie Mirror Force) will NOT work.
that said things that trigger on BEING ATTACKED can be activated (ie, Maiden with eyes of blue)

so no, you are basically doing the equivlent of activating Threatening Roar AFTER the attack was declared

if you want TER to stop something, activate Call when they enter battle phase, before an attack is declared

R3QU13M
5th July 2016, 08:54 PM
Okay thanks, I understand.

Pendulum
5th July 2016, 09:40 PM
yeah, I've ran into that a few times, its no bug
Thing is, a replay is just reasigning the attack target, nothing more. The Attack was already declared, a replay does not redo the entire Attack sequence, only the target (or if they want to continue attacking)

in short
1, Attack Declaration
2, pick attack target
3, CotH causes Replay, Redo step 2
4, Player picks to continue attacking the new target, Attack was already declared before TER hit the board so TER does nothing, also too late for Mirror Force, etc.

there is NOT a new Attack declaration, so things that stop Attack declaration (like TER) or Trigger on them (battle traps ie Mirror Force) will NOT work.
that said things that trigger on BEING ATTACKED can be activated (ie, Maiden with eyes of blue)

so no, you are basically doing the equivlent of activating Threatening Roar AFTER the attack was declared

if you want TER to stop something, activate Call when they enter battle phase, before an attack is declared

The thing is: "Thousand-Eyes Restrict" prevents monsters from attack; does not prevent monsters from declaring an attack (though we don't have PSCT for it). "Mirror Force" triggers at attack declaration and "Threatening Roar" prevents attack declaration. This is not the case for "TER".

Isn't it similar to "Gravity Bind"? If you activate "Gravity Bind", an already declared attack stops (from its rulings (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Gravity_Bind) at the wikia "If "Gravity Bind" is activated during the Battle Step of the Battle Phase after a Level 4+ monster attacks, then the monster can neither attack nor proceed to the Damage Step. (...) "). "Call of the Haunted here was also activated at the Battle Step.

Dread Kaiser
5th July 2016, 09:57 PM
The thing is: "Thousand-Eyes Restrict" prevents monsters from attack; does not prevent monsters from declaring an attack (though we don't have PSCT for it). "Mirror Force" triggers at attack declaration and "Threatening Roar" prevents attack declaration. This is not the case for "TER".

Isn't it similar to "Gravity Bind"? If you activate "Gravity Bind", an already declared attack stops (from its rulings (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Gravity_Bind) at the wikia "If "Gravity Bind" is activated during the Battle Step of the Battle Phase after a Level 4+ monster attacks, then the monster can neither attack nor proceed to the Damage Step. (...) "). "Call of the Haunted here was also activated at the Battle Step.

lack of PSCT doesn't help here but to my understanding TER functions more like a never ending Swords of revealing light and thus its hypothetical PSCT would read: "While this card is face-up on the field, monsters your opponent controls cannot declare an attack."

we can get the answer If/When it gets reprinted, since I can't seem to find an answer one way or another at the moment

Pendulum
5th July 2016, 10:15 PM
Lack of PSCT really doesn't help and your suggestion may be valid. However, by looking at the Japanese lores of both "TER" (①:このカードがモンスターゾーンに存在する限り、このカード以外のフィールドのモンスターは表示形式を 変更できず、攻撃できない。) and "Threatening Roar" (①:このターン相手は攻撃宣言できない。), both of which were reprinted in Japanese recently, and splashing them onto google translator, "Threatening Roar" appears with a part saying "declare an attack" and "TER" appears as "can not attack". Though we can't fully trust on this, obviously.

But look at the page Declare (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Declare) at the wikia: "To declare (宣言 Sengen)".
If you give a look at part ① of "TER", you won't see 宣言, whereas you will see it at the effect of "Threatening Roar". So I suppose "Thousand-Eyes Restrict" doesn't prevent attack declaration, but does prevent attacking.

Pendulum
20th September 2016, 11:23 PM
First of all, apologize for the bump, but we finally have PSCT for TER, maybe we can draw a more accurate conclusion now.

"Other monsters on the field cannot change their battle positions or attack." is a continuous effect, meaning it starts applying as soon as the Summon negation window closes. It doesn't prevent attack declarations only; prevents attacks, even if an attack was declared previously of TER being on the field.
So, in the scenario presented above, the opponent shouldn't have had attacked you, since TER prevents attacks.