PDA

View Full Version : ARC-V Episode 74 Discussion

NeoArkadia
19th September 2015, 11:49 PM
Episode 74: 道化師の仮面 Doukeshi no Kamen (Mask of the Clown)

Kurosaki vs Dennis in the Friendship Cup! Against Kurosaki, who suspects his identity, Dennis plays in his usual Entertainment style. However, Dennis gets caught in Kurosaki’s onslaught…

Summary
The last match for the first round of the Friendship Cup is between Kurosaki and Dennis, both Lancers. Against Kurosaki, who suspects his identity, Dennis plays in his usual Entertainment style. However, when Kurosaki forces him into a corner, Dennis suddenly Summons a new monster that surprises everyone!

Cast List
Sakaki Yuya
Hiiragi Yuzu/Serena
Kurosaki Shun
Dennis Macfield
Akaba Reiji
Jean-Michel Roger
White Taki
Gael
Bordeaux
Melissa Claire

Devocrown
20th September 2015, 12:25 AM
To anyone who wants to watch the livestream of this episodes (without subs) heres a link http://original.livestream.com/VoicesOfChaos
New episode starts at 1:30 am PST/PDT

Blue
20th September 2015, 12:44 AM
Finally we're getting to the hype parts of the Friendship Cup

Shun Vs Dennis for this week and next, then everyone fighting over custody of Dennis.

Then Yuzu vs Sergey should be good, for nothing else but Yuya's reactions

HelixReactor
20th September 2015, 05:26 AM
Hurray for the plot finally deciding to go in hyperdrive!

It's funny how Shun is getting doubts about Dennis' identity just because the guy depleted 900 of his Life Points in a previous interrupted duel that he was most likely going to win anyway.

Zarafkiel
20th September 2015, 06:56 AM
Tbh when I first saw this post I thought the newest episode was already out e.e Guess I'll wait for subs then, since I don't understand Japanese

VoicesOfChaos
20th September 2015, 07:28 AM
To anyone who wants to watch the livestream of this episodes (without subs) heres a link http://original.livestream.com/VoicesOfChaos
New episode starts at 1:30 am PST/PDT

Was going to come here to advertise but looks like I am already taken care of. Thank you!

Blue
20th September 2015, 09:01 AM
So how about that Antique Gear Chaos Fusion?

Or more importantly...

HOW ABOUT SORA BEING BACK NEXT WEEK?!

Devocrown
20th September 2015, 09:15 AM
Still in shock of Dennis Megazord fusion, ask me in about a week

pyrQ
20th September 2015, 09:31 AM
I feel like this episode lived up to the hype. Can't wait till next week.

YamiMario
20th September 2015, 09:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kujo7V9m0gk
Literally what Dennis did in this episode.

Absolutely amazing, I thought he was just gonna' summon a Entermage Fusion, but him going all out Ancient Gear is incredible.

Devocrown
20th September 2015, 10:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kujo7V9m0gk
Literally what Dennis did in this episode.

Absolutely amazing, I thought he was just gonna' summon a Entermage Fusion, but him going all out Ancient Gear is incredible.

I was expecting a John Cena moment....happy, but slightly disappointed

HelixReactor
20th September 2015, 01:20 PM
Argh! The 777 Opening is still here! I guess we're gonna suffer from it at least one more time, huh..?

So far, the duel has been going great. I love how Dennis criticizes Shun for doing the exact same opening moves as in his previous duel against him, saying that entertainment is all about surprising. And he indeed suprised us: not only he reveals quite the big bunch of new Entermage cards, but then, when it was thought that he'll be making an Entermage Fusion, nope! He magically changes his deck's theme
His Academia Psycho Mode also feels much less psychotic than Sora's (speaking of which, glad to see you're finally coming back, buddy!)

So is Dennis initially part of the Obelisk Force? If so, do all Obelisk Force soldiers look like Dennis?
Nah, considering Shun will completely lose his cool, it's probably something much bigger than that.

Also, Reiji is suprisingly calm despite the big revelation. Either he was aware of the situation, which wouldn't be surprising, or the shock made him forget what emotions are. I guess we'll have to wait for a translation to know.

Shun Kurosaki
20th September 2015, 02:10 PM
How does this guy not brick everyday. Entermage AND Ancient Gear in the same deck.

Whatever, time to otk through a Voltron.

Dread Kaiser
20th September 2015, 02:54 PM
That Ancient Gear Chaos Giant Remind anyone else of a Zaku or Voltron?

HelixReactor
20th September 2015, 03:54 PM
Shun's so drunk, his Ruris can have their Rank doubled now. It gets me even more hyped to see a Rank 12 Raptor.

Also, they need to make up their minds on how Revolution Falcon's summoning animation looks like. In this context, the usual dark and somewhat unsettling Xyz Summon animation would've been more fitting. The chicken on fire one didn't make as much of an impact as when it was used to beat the hell out of Sora.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
20th September 2015, 05:31 PM
Bluh, Shun's recent (or not-so recent) cards severely need a buff in the TCG. Skull Eagle is currently too hard to use effectively because Devil Eagle is trash and those are the only LV3s. Last Strix is trash; even if they get a RK1, I doubt it'll be worth it. It needs a built-in Level modifier at the very least (perhaps a Photon Satellite-esque effect, but then several RRs require 3 Materials, so...). Skull Eagle and Last Strix being the sole targets for Call thereby make it trash, even if they remove the attacking restriction (would be better off to not have the level restriction, keep the same name restriction, and replace attack restriction by only allowing RR summons that turn). Death Double Force would only be good if it said "up to double its Rank" unless we get Ranks 8, 10, or 12, and even then it's too situational to be good. Furthermore, requiring destruction by battle is exceptionally limiting. Target Flag is... weird, in that it doesn't seem RR specific, and it's a Jar of Greed with benefits, I guess. Reactor is unrevealed.

As for Dennis, I find it odd that his Fusions are just standard Obelisk Force shit, especially considering the uniqueness of Sora's deck in comparison. I would have hoped that there would have been stuff to take away the Entermages from RK4 spam, but apparently not. I wonder if we'll get some cross support between Em and Antique Gear (dear Numeron Dragon, no) resulting in a clusterfuck possibility of EMEm-Odd-Eyes-Magician-Gear (NO). I think the duel was rather boring in that Shun does the exact same first turn (almost) and furthermore fails to activate Devil Eagle's effect at the very start of Dennis' turn, targeting itself, despite what happened last time. The rest was just kind of Dennis spamming Xyz with Ems specialized for that exact purpose and then oh hey Revolution Falcon out of fucking nowhere and then Dennis noping out of Shun's counterattacks using equally specialized Em effects and then MWAHAHAHA I AM ACADEMIA NO ONE SAW THIS COMING, and then surprise, Antique Gears. I do think Chaos Giant looks kinda cool though.

On a somewhat random note, Revolution Falcon suddenly gets a tail flamethrower for its Rank-Up effect instead of just carpet bombing as it did to Mad Chimaera? And I like how for this duel specifically, it attacks monsters one by one instead of all at once as it did against Obelisk Force (as well as Rise Falcon's Brave Claw Revolution), for the sole sake of having Dennis survive. Hurr.

Hopefully next episode will be better.

Mystic TimeKeeper
20th September 2015, 05:39 PM
In order:
1) the last Extra Booster buffed cards like there wasn't a tomorrow, and now ALL, I say ALL of the Phantom Knights cards (even the trap) floats, so there are good chances the RR planned for that pack will be the next useful monster since we got Fuzzy and Singing;
2) Dennis as Obelisk Force chief is not bad, because the grunts will never get decent screentime so we need a Obelisk General to show off the deck, also, I'm glad Shun didn't even need to vary his strategy to deal with Dennis, it was like "I ain't needing creativity to kick your ass";
3)Well, when they are OTKing fodder they go flashy but attacking all monsters together is not formally correct.

Blue
20th September 2015, 06:54 PM
I still love how the traitor has gotten the most pendulums from Reiji.

Real talk though, we should have seen Dennis being outed this early BECAUSE of his rampant use of pendulums. They needed to show off all the new Em pendulums they designed before they switched Dennis to Ancient Gears :/

Cheesedude
20th September 2015, 11:17 PM
Well, I always do a brief reaction post to most episodes on NAC, may as well do that here, too.

Well, damn.

I was not expecting the preview to be so accurate that Dennis managed to surprise the viewers, too. I never expected Ancient Gears. And I couldn't be happier. I was worried this reveal would be a bit boring since we've known Dennis is Academia forever already. Revealing it this way and having him use Ancient Gears kept the reveal fresh for us, too.

Reiji, I know you wanted to give the Lancers Pendulums, but why did you give Dennis TWELVE of them? This really makes me want to see the rest of the Lancers use Pendulums more (or you know, at all in some cases).

Shun just broke the record of most RUMs used by one Duelist in the anime. I'm not sure this was strictly needed. I don't see why he doesn't use the existing RUMs he's already used. That being said, the Rank doubling effect is awesome.

On a related note, we have the full of effect of Ultimate Hound Dog now: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_Gear_Ultimate_Hound_Dog

Dread Kaiser
20th September 2015, 11:38 PM
Was wondering what Ultimate Dogs Fusion Material would be...

I don't like that Rank-Up isn't treated as anything special anymore. makes me feel like they may pass on bringing back Accel Synchro too

TheRamenNoodle
21st September 2015, 04:25 AM
That Ancient Gear Megazord is just asking to get Falcon Punched.

Mofiz
21st September 2015, 01:46 PM
Everyone wanted Dennis to become a Vector. Well, mission accomplished mothefuckers. It's almost sad that he will get beatenby Rank 7+ Ruri. I really hope he gets a comeback as a total maniac.

Thanako
21st September 2015, 06:46 PM
The TV Tokyo website has a slightly longer preview for episode 75. It's just a bit more banter, but generally the same thing. What they did with Dennis was good. Keep a close attention, though. He blended in so perfectly that the supposed other agent from Academia was also taken by surprise, as was Serena. There's probably a great deal more to this than meets the eye. I'm thinking a lot about Yusho, too.

Mystic TimeKeeper
21st September 2015, 07:03 PM
Everyone wanted Dennis to become a Vector. Well, mission accomplished mothefuckers. It's almost sad that he will get beatenby Rank 7+ Ruri. I really hope he gets a comeback as a total maniac.
He made Clowns Tier 0. No amount of coolness will excuse him for his crimes.

HelixReactor
21st September 2015, 10:44 PM

No. The Vector spot has already been taken by Sora. There can only be one Vector alive at a time.

...Then again, this is Dennis we're talking about..

Dread Kaiser
21st September 2015, 11:15 PM
No. The Vector spot has already been taken by Sora. There can only be one Vector alive at a time.

...Then again, this is Dennis we're talking about..

Nah, Sora is more like Yami Marik (Murderous, crazy for funsies) with some Kaiba (PRIDE) mix'd in
ARC V Doesn't have a Vector yet (Vector is defined (to me) as, Crazy, Planning, manipulative, Goes out of his way to cause as much misery to his certain target as possible, and most importantly of all, so INCREDIBLY HAMMY that you love every second he is on screen)

Sora has the First one and went out of his way to kick Shuns ass, but fails the rest. Dennis fails all points so far.

I guess everyone just remembers him for being a Spy...even though Vector wasn't really doing much Spying

All to me of course

HelixReactor
21st September 2015, 11:37 PM
Nah, Sora is more like Yami Marik (Murderous, crazy for funsies) with some Kaiba (PRIDE) mix'd in
ARC V Doesn't have a Vector yet (Vector is defined (to me) as, Crazy, Planning, manipulative, Goes out of his way to cause as much misery to his certain target as possible, and most importantly of all, so INCREDIBLY HAMMY that you love every second he is on screen)

Sora has the First one and went out of his way to kick Shuns ass, but fails the rest. Dennis fails all points so far.

I guess everyone just remembers him for being a Spy...even though Vector wasn't really doing much Spying

All to me of course

Fair enough. Your definition of Vector is the most accurate.

On my part, in this context, a Vector is not necessarily a spy, but more of a "friend" that reveals himself to be a traitor when the plot requires him to do so and from that point refuses to admit (even to himself) that he had some fun time being with the main characters, until whatever plot twist gives him a wake-up slap. And of course, the obligatory compilation of the most glorious faces.
By my defintion, Dennis isn't a Vector either. Not yet, at least.

Dread Kaiser
21st September 2015, 11:42 PM
yeah, the next Episode will determine that

GG ELDIUS
22nd September 2015, 05:20 AM

All to me of course

Vector is like...a toned down, basic version of Bakura/Zorc. Dennis isn't really a surprise turncoat (just like Vector) because everyone saw it coming except for the protagonist.

Dread Kaiser
22nd September 2015, 10:42 AM
Vector is like...a toned down, basic version of Bakura/Zorc. Dennis isn't really a surprise turncoat (just like Vector) because everyone saw it coming except for the protagonist.

uhhh, you just said "Vector" and "Toned down" in the same sentence, you realize the problem right? The only reason Vector can even have that bakura comparison is because Don K = Zorc

Hope in the Interstice
22nd September 2015, 10:51 AM
The TV Tokyo website has a slightly longer preview for episode 75. It's just a bit more banter, but generally the same thing. What they did with Dennis was good. Keep a close attention, though. He blended in so perfectly that the supposed other agent from Academia was also taken by surprise, as was Serena. There's probably a great deal more to this than meets the eye. I'm thinking a lot about Yusho, too.
That's a good point about Jean, although maybe he was just expecting this to be a solo op and was merely surprised that someone else from Academia came along as well. Not to mention... Jean is definitely from the Fusion Dimension but is he in fact allied with Academia?

Dread Kaiser
22nd September 2015, 11:09 AM
Probably, but it be a nice twist if Jean was doing what the Lancers were. setting a defense against them. we just know he is probably from another Dimension, not necessarily Fusion

Zarafkiel
22nd September 2015, 11:56 AM
Jean not knowing Dennis was a Fusionist makes sense, since Dennis had such a good cover on and had to keep it that way, not realising that Shun and Reiji had their suions already.

Also, I can't help feeling that the fusion that Dennis played was the sealing deal to blow his cover, especially when the requirements were to banish his XYZ monsters, which could possibly mean not using the XYZ summoning method anymore.

Dread Kaiser
22nd September 2015, 12:32 PM
Well Ancient Gear Chaos Fusion didn't require Xyz, just mosters from Extra

Moe Lord
22nd September 2015, 07:58 PM
I'm more hyped for the return of Sora next week

Archfiend
22nd September 2015, 08:03 PM
I'm more hyped for the return of Sora next week

My body isn't ready for his return lol
I can't wait to see what he does. Also hyped to see Shun go beast mode on Dennis.

GG ELDIUS
22nd September 2015, 08:08 PM
uhhh, you just said "Vector" and "Toned down" in the same sentence, you realize the problem right? The only reason Vector can even have that bakura comparison is because Don K = Zorc

Zexal was a cheap, poorly executed rehash of DM. Live with it.

Back to the topic, I want to see how Shun gets out of this mess. Also, I wonder how long we have to wait until full berserker Yuya happens.

Dread Kaiser
22nd September 2015, 08:42 PM

Yeah, I know. Don't get me started on it.

Archfiend
22nd September 2015, 08:52 PM

Back to the topic, I want to see how Shun gets out of this mess. Also, I wonder how long we have to wait until full berserker Yuya happens.

I guess people hate Zexal with a burning passion

Dread Kaiser
22nd September 2015, 09:02 PM
I guess people hate Zexal with a burning passion

which was half the reason I was banned...I actually Crashed Chromes Memory writing a rant on that topic

Hope in the Interstice
22nd September 2015, 10:11 PM
Y'know, if Dennis didn't activate that Action Card against Revolution Falcon's attack, he would've lost then and there and he would never have needed to shown his hand. He keeps his cover all well and he just gets sent underground, where it's probable he'd be rescued from by either Reiji or Academia at some point in the future.

Dread Kaiser
22nd September 2015, 10:30 PM
he could have also just made some excuse for it instead of going on Hunting Mode, not like they don't have 3 other fusion users on their team. Even if he lost, they are all stuck in their rooms so Shun would have no means of verifying any excuse he made

GG ELDIUS
22nd September 2015, 11:01 PM
he could have also just made some excuse for it instead of going on Hunting Mode, not like they don't have 3 other fusion users on their team. Even if he lost, they are all stuck in their rooms so Shun would have no means of verifying any excuse he made

I think Dennis chose that moment because he knew the attack on the synchro dimension was already underway (no harm, no foul), so he finally gave into his pride (or psychosis, however you want to look at it), tossing away the facade (like Sora did vs Shun the first time), because there was no longer a need to keep up the act.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
22nd September 2015, 11:37 PM
Y'know, if Dennis didn't activate that Action Card against Revolution Falcon's attack, he would've lost then and there and he would never have needed to shown his hand. He keeps his cover all well and he just gets sent underground, where it's probable he'd be rescued from by either Reiji or Academia at some point in the future.

He full well intended to crush Shun before the duel; keeping his cover was only a secondary concern to him at this point. Whether out of pride or some unseen scheme being set in motion remains to be seen.

Dread Kaiser
22nd September 2015, 11:54 PM
yeah, we have to wait and see for this one

regardless, Drama bombs incoming

Sakuya
23rd September 2015, 01:32 AM
I want to say so much that the yusho double agent idea is now dead in the water, but Dennis's hunting mode is almost too perfect to be true. Trapeeze magician being pretty much a copy of yusho's magician just makes me think that,like performers/actors, the entire thing's still an act. Sora's fusion goes with him, serena's fusion goes with her, while dennis has... the siege(invasion?) mech? It's generic enough as an antique gear card for fusion dimension that he may kust have gotten high enough rank in academia to be one of the front liner's, and is still sitting on an imitaion of what he saw the other front liner's like sora wrre doing while invading heartland.

Hope in the Interstice
23rd September 2015, 01:47 AM
What I want to know is, how did he become an LDS student? Reiji must've kept a close eye on new applicants so how did Dennis slip the net?

GG ELDIUS
23rd September 2015, 02:00 AM
What I want to know is, how did he become an LDS student? Reiji must've kept a close eye on new applicants so how did Dennis slip the net?

Either Dennis is some kind of pseudo-double-agent, or Reji knew he was a plant, and wanted to use him to show the threat of the Fusion Dimension to the Synchro Dimension. Either way, Reji is always several steps ahead. He is card game Batman.

Dread Kaiser
23rd September 2015, 02:07 AM
or Reiji didn't pay that level of attention to simple applicants and only showed interest when they started performing. CEO's don't usually go over every Job Application last I checked.

Or Dennis is actually that good at his job

GG ELDIUS
23rd September 2015, 02:21 AM
or Reiji didn't pay that level of attention to simple applicants and only showed interest when they started performing. CEO's don't usually go over every Job Application last I checked.

Or Dennis is actually that good at his job

CEOs IRL, of course not. But this is YGO, and Reji seems like the type to pay very close attention to detail, and makes it a point to know more than anyone else (and keeps that information to himself, unless it's out/he decides to share).

Blue
23rd September 2015, 02:39 AM
I like how Reiji turned it back on the Synchro guys.

"Academia? I thought they were your enemy."
"I considered the possibility that one of the enemy wormed their way into the Lancers, but what about you?"

HelixReactor
23rd September 2015, 02:59 AM
Silly Reiji; you're aware of the fact that there might be a spy within your soldiers, but instead of being cautious, you manage to provide that spy more of your secret weapon that any other of your legitimate Lancers.. -_-

Blue
23rd September 2015, 06:57 AM
Silly Reiji; you're aware of the fact that there might be a spy within your soldiers, but instead of being cautious, you manage to provide that spy more of your secret weapon that any other of your legitimate Lancers.. -_-

Again, I think that's just a quirk of the writing.

Think about it. If they were going to have Dennis be outed this early, they need to get through all of his Performage support, seeing how his true fusion deck is Ancient Gears (I guess :/ )

Personally I would have preferred a Performage fusion, and everyone expected it.

Mystic TimeKeeper
23rd September 2015, 08:00 AM

Think about it. If they were going to have Dennis be outed this early, they need to get through all of his Performage support, seeing how his true fusion deck is Ancient Gears (I guess :/ )

Personally I would have preferred a Performage fusion, and everyone expected it.

Correct, but when he said that entertainers has to change their strategy to don't bore the audience it pissed me off, it's not like the others (except Yuya) gets 5-8 new cards every time they touch their deck.

Hope in the Interstice
23rd September 2015, 08:06 AM
Correct, but when he said that entertainers has to change their strategy to don't bore the audience it pissed me off, it's not like the others (except Yuya) gets 5-8 new cards every time they touch their deck.
Indeed! Gongenzaka only gets three!

HelixReactor
23rd September 2015, 01:38 PM

I guess it makes sense, if this really was the last time we see Entermages.

It is pretty irritating indeed. While Sawatari's deck was made from scratch, and Gongenzaka's P-Cards were only some additional support, it felt like Dennis' deck nature completely changed while still keeping the same name (yes, an entertainer needs to make changes to keep pleasing his audience, but heh, sometimes, it leads to the opposite effect.. >.> ), although I guess his original cards are still in his Deck, in addition to the Ancient Gear Doggies.
..Come to think of it, how many themes can Dennis possibily be hiding inside of his Deck?

Hope in the Interstice
23rd September 2015, 01:45 PM
Something else I noticed:

One question's been bugging me since episode 3 and it's this: why did Sora notice Yuya? And the pattern repeated itself with Dennis, who approached Yuya for very little explicable reason. Why did they do that?

HelixReactor
23rd September 2015, 02:04 PM

One question's been bugging me since episode 3 and it's this: why did Sora notice Yuya? And the pattern repeated itself with Dennis, who approached Yuya for very little explicable reason. Why did they do that?

Yuya just happened to mention Fusions while Sora was around, and I guess that was enough to catch the latter's interest. I guess when it comes to doing his job, Sora does have somewhat of a very short attention span..

When Sora was forcefully returned to the Fusion Dimension, his memories from Standard were analyzed, and therefore possibly letting Academia know about the MCS, Pendulum Summons, as well as a bit of Yuya's background, which would be relevant if Yusho is involved in a way or another with Academia. So having Leo task Dennis (who probably was already infiltrated in LDS before Sora's initial arrival to Standard and also part of the tournament) to act as Yuya's new stalker would make sense.

Dread Kaiser
23rd September 2015, 03:23 PM

Because brand fucking new summon mechanic came out of no where and beat the champion. EVERYONE Noticed that. Given his job there why would he not try to find out more

Mystic TimeKeeper
23rd September 2015, 03:33 PM
Because brand fucking new summon mechanic came out of no where and beat the champion. EVERYONE Noticed that. Given his job there why would he not try to find out more
Speaking of the champion, how badly Strong Ishijima would lose to Jack Atlas?

On a more general note, with Standard has all summon method but each one has the weakest output, you'd expect the Champion to be proficent in each one of them, I hope IF EVER Ishijima appears again, he pulls a Reiji and we get Battleguards Fusion, Synchro AND Xyz.

Dread Kaiser
23rd September 2015, 04:11 PM
Very. Unless you were LDS you didn't even have an extra

Also don't forget that Strong only became champion becuase Yusho was a no-show and he won by default. Even HE didn't consider himself the real champion til he beat Yusho....then Yuya Kicked his ass

Mystic TimeKeeper
23rd September 2015, 04:17 PM
Very. Unless you were LDS you didn't even have an extra

Also don't forget that Strong only became champion becuase Yusho was a no-show and he won by default. Even HE didn't consider himself the real champion til he beat Yusho....then Yuya Kicked his ass

I'm trying to take into consideration the fact that they couldn't show too advanced tactics in the first 2 episodes, but as things stand now, Ishijima would have lost against Masumi of all people, no Extra Deck has Monarchs on his side, so next time he appears (if it even does, Yu-Gi-Oh writers seems to me to be the kind that plays RPG and forgets to finish the side-quests) I hope they buff him up to be at least a decent fight, maybe something like Academia invades and all old characters stand up to fight the grunts, that would be a cool way to show again a lot of people.

AccelRainbowDashley
23rd September 2015, 06:37 PM

Sora was sent to gain the trust of Yuya so he could get close to Yuzu. Even after being refused, he didn't take no for an answer, and thanks to his childlike character, nobody thought anything of it. The timing of his appearance after Pendulum is born is just anime coincidence.

As for Dennis, he didn't approach Yuya until AFTER Sora was outed as an Academia spy. He was probably supposed to link up with Sora later, but because of his duel with Shun, and the following duel with Yuto, Academia's plan was forced to move ahead early and they instructed Dennis to connect with Yuya and friends as a backup plan. His mission was supposed to end when Yuri arrived to kidnap Yuzu, but her bracelet foiled that plan. Because of that, Dennis' mission changed and he became a lancer to accompany the others and keep an eye on them. It's possible he reported to someone, but I'm not entirely convinced that Roger was aware of Dennis' true allegiance. If Leo was smart he'd keep his spies on a need to know basis so as to minimize the chances of compromising their cover, but give them some kind of universal code that would tip off any other spies in case of emergency.

Dennis fusion summoning that giant Gear Golem is probably close enough to the code that Roger now knows, and is probably planning to hit the panic button depending on the outcome of the duel.

If anyone reading this has seen spoilers for future episodes, do be kind and keep them to yourself.

JemGryphonkin
24th September 2015, 03:02 PM
Maybe Sora approached Yuya because he's met Yuri?

Dread Kaiser
24th September 2015, 03:09 PM
Yuya never met Yuri, and as far as we know neither has Sora

AccelRainbowDashley
24th September 2015, 07:18 PM
The odds that Sora isn't at least aware of who Yuri is are really slim. They're both elites at Academia and were presumably both on the front lines when they attacked Heartland. Soldiers share stories, and I can almost guarantee that Sora has, at the very least, heard stories about Yuri and seen him walk by once or twice. With them both being elites, I can't imagine them having never met. Even if Yuri ignored him, or Sora was simply too afraid to say anything. If Sora ever does repent and rejoin the group, I can see him telling the others about Yuri to further build him up as a Frieza-tier badass.

And I know I said 'need to know' for the spies, but I don't think Roger was a front-line soldier. I'm not entirely sure what connection he has to Academia at all. For all we know, Roger is a guy that's from Fusion, but not Academia itself. Just some 3rd party they roped in with promises they don't intend to keep.

SynjoDeonecros
25th September 2015, 01:30 PM
So, I just watched this episode, and I'm confused over the context of Shun's suion about Dennis. What about him did Shun not like about him to make him think he was an Academia spy? Or was it general "I don't like you, you must be evil"?

Hope in the Interstice
25th September 2015, 01:36 PM
So, I just watched this episode, and I'm confused over the context of Shun's suion about Dennis. What about him did Shun not like about him to make him think he was an Academia spy? Or was it general "I don't like you, you must be evil"?
Something about the sort of tactics "they don't teach at LDS". I never understood, myself.

Dread Kaiser
25th September 2015, 01:54 PM
Basically
"Holy shit this guy can play as good as me. That ain't right"

SynjoDeonecros
25th September 2015, 01:59 PM
Ah, so random paranoia. Well, it served him okay, so far. Hope it doesn't come to bite him in the ass, later.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
25th September 2015, 02:00 PM
Apparently Dennis has "iron determination" and/or "steeled resolve" in his duel, whatever the fuck that esoteric shit means. Really it's a load of crap.

Hope in the Interstice
25th September 2015, 02:05 PM
Apparently Dennis has "iron determination" and/or "steeled resolve" in his duel, whatever the fuck that esoteric shit means. Really it's a load of crap.
Duel Monsters is even more demonstrative of character and spirit than martial arts. Not that it isn't particularly effective; being able to use sturdy cards like throwing knives and punching steel doors off lockers and jumping between buildings is bloody sweet. Makes you wonder how Kurosaki spent his time before the invasion.

Dread Kaiser
25th September 2015, 02:07 PM
With Card games and RURIIIIIIIIIII ofcourse

AccelRainbowDashley
25th September 2015, 03:09 PM
I'll attempt to provide a logical explanation for why Shun doubted Dennis.

For the better part of season one, Shun walked all over LDS members, including at least one professor, one nameless elite squad, and all three of the top students from each summon class at the same time. So it's easy to see why he wouldn't think too highly of anyone from the school. Then Dennis comes along and gives him a decent fight 1v1, while claiming to be from LDS and using exclusively XYZ. Shun had already beaten the XYZ ace so logically Dennis couldn't be above Star Boy in power, yet he was. I dunno about anyone else, but that would tip me off.

The alternative is Reiji told Shun that someone in the Lancers was an Academia spy, and Shun figured out that Dennis was the only logical choice. Who better to root out a spy than the guy who outed a spy once already? Reiji is a prick but he's not stupid. All the talk Shun did about "they don't teach that at LDS" was probably his attempts at getting Dennis to slip up.

Dread Kaiser
25th September 2015, 03:11 PM
well there is the fact that Dennis (supposedly) came from Broadway LDS branch, which would neatly explain half of that. Especially the Xyz Ace bit

Hope in the Interstice
25th September 2015, 03:13 PM
I'll attempt to provide a logical explanation for why Shun doubted Dennis.

For the better part of season one, Shun walked all over LDS members, including at least one professor, one nameless elite squad, and all three of the top students from each summon class at the same time. So it's easy to see why he wouldn't think too highly of anyone from the school. Then Dennis comes along and gives him a decent fight 1v1, while claiming to be from LDS and using exclusively XYZ. Shun had already beaten the XYZ ace so logically Dennis couldn't be above Star Boy in power, yet he was. I dunno about anyone else, but that would tip me off.

The alternative is Reiji told Shun that someone in the Lancers was an Academia spy, and Shun figured out that Dennis was the only logical choice. Who better to root out a spy than the guy who outed a spy once already? Reiji is a prick but he's not stupid. All the talk Shun did about "they don't teach that at LDS" was probably his attempts at getting Dennis to slip up.
I can see the first point possibly but I mostly put it down to Shun's ego talking. Just because the majority sucks, doesn't mean there isn't a diamond in the rough.

The second point, however, seems very likely. Shun even had access to Reiji's side in the monitor room. A rather advantageous position to be in, for sure.

Dread Kaiser
25th September 2015, 03:16 PM
Good point, hard to beat the Bat cave surveilence

AccelRainbowDashley
25th September 2015, 03:20 PM
Even then, Shun would assume that the main LDS in Maiami is the best of all LDS since it's where Reiji himself was. It would be difficult to imagine that there's a branch where the students are that much better than the main school. It's also possible that Shun simply knows an Academia spy when he sees one. It's anime, after all. Characters are able to 'sense' how powerful a summon type is.

But yea, he's got the ego, while Yuto had the egao.

Dread Kaiser
25th September 2015, 03:22 PM
Even then, Shun would assume that the main LDS in Maiami is the best of all LDS since it's where Reiji himself was. It would be difficult to imagine that there's a branch where the students are that much better than the main school. It's also possible that Shun simply knows an Academia spy when he sees one. It's anime, after all. Characters are able to 'sense' how powerful a summon type is.

But yea, he's got the ego, while Yuto had the egao.

Not that difficult. Just because Reiji was in one place doesn't mean that other awesome duelists ...say Yuya, couldn't be in another.
After all why would Reiji bother bringing in all of those guys from the Branches if they were inhierently inferior like that

AccelRainbowDashley
25th September 2015, 03:25 PM
It was the championship, they had earned the right just like everyone else. It wouldn't make sense to allow students from other schools, but not LDS' own foreign branches.

Dread Kaiser
25th September 2015, 03:45 PM
if it was just a normal tourny yes, but Reiji knew what it would turn into so why would he bring in people he didn't atleast have some expectations for.
Especially since it was the MIAMI CITY Championship, so it actually makes less sense that he brought in some students from Norway, Broadway and ...wherever the hell that annoying one was from

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
25th September 2015, 03:54 PM
Turkey.

But yeah, that did kinda bother me that the equivalent of a locals (granted, a massively popular one at that) was somehow pulling in kids from across the globe.

AccelRainbowDashley
25th September 2015, 05:17 PM
if it was just a normal tourny yes, but Reiji knew what it would turn into so why would he bring in people he didn't atleast have some expectations for.
Especially since it was the MIAMI CITY Championship, so it actually makes less sense that he brought in some students from Norway, Broadway and ...wherever the hell that annoying one was from

He was using it to find candidates for the Lancers, yes, but he wasn't expecting Academia to invade. The Battle Royale wasn't the original plan, it was just going to be a standard tournament.

And yes, it seems a bit odd, but I still chalk that up to them inviting the top students from each branch since they still belong to LDS, and LDS' entire purpose is to form the Lancers. Was it ever explained where the other schools were from? Maiami City apparently has a lot of them. LDS, Youshow, the one where they commit child abuse in the name of no-smile dueling, the fortune tellers. I think only the foreign LDS students were the ones from out of town, but as I said, they were still LDS so they likely got special invites. Even though the name was Maiami City Championship, LDS was in charge.

Basically, screw the rules, they have money.

Dread Kaiser
25th September 2015, 05:28 PM
Ehhhh. Point.

GodYuya
27th September 2015, 01:14 AM
He was using it to find candidates for the Lancers, yes, but he wasn't expecting Academia to invade.

Yes - he was trying his best to find candidates for the Lancers to fight his father - only to discover that ALL THAT was part of his plan of his father's plan to invade the dimensions

AccelRainbowDashley
27th September 2015, 03:53 AM
Yes - he was trying his best to find candidates for the Lancers to fight his father - only to discover that ALL THAT was part of his plan of his father's plan to invade the dimensions

Based on what?

Dread Kaiser
27th September 2015, 03:58 AM
Batman had to learn it from somewhere

ScionStorm
27th September 2015, 04:02 AM
part of his plan of his father's plan
Your logic surpasses my comprehension.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
29th September 2015, 01:51 AM
Soooo... we gonna get an Episode 75 discussion thread? Because it sure seems like it could use some discussing.

Dread Kaiser
29th September 2015, 03:58 AM
WTF are you talking about?
Revolution carpet bombing Got 1up'd by Kill-Sat Falcon

No words needed

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
29th September 2015, 04:14 AM
Animation and concept wise, I feel that's a bit more than just 1-up.

Effect wise, not so much.

Hope in the Interstice
29th September 2015, 04:15 AM
Animation and concept wise, I feel that's a bit more than just 1-up.

Effect wise, not so much.
Here's hoping for a buff in Wing Raiders.

On the flip side of things, we also got Ruri. Ark was right on the money with his Four Beauties thing.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
29th September 2015, 04:32 AM
Once again, it REALLY seems odd that we've gotten to a point where we're consistently buffing card effects IRL compared to the anime instead of nerfing them. Except, well, Devil Eagle, who got the shaft. Even so, you'd think it'd actually be an upgrade to Revolution Falcon, as opposed to something that's more useful in that particular situation. Speaking of situational... *glares at Last Strix*

Ruri is definitely the best looking of the bracelet girls.

ScionStorm
29th September 2015, 05:40 AM
*Whispers*

Sora was there the whole time.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
29th September 2015, 05:43 AM
Little shit needs to get Ruri'd.

Also, damn Reiji for disabling Shun's Duel Disk cardifier.

Mystic TimeKeeper
29th September 2015, 07:15 AM

As always, Academia hogs all the fun from themsleves.

pyrQ
29th September 2015, 09:57 AM

If I was Reiji, I would be weary about Kurosaki snapping and just running around making my people into cards. Also, he wants to talk to/interrogate Dennis to try and get some intel out of him.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
29th September 2015, 03:26 PM
If I was Reiji, I would be weary about Kurosaki snapping and just running around making my people into cards. Also, he wants to talk to/interrogate Dennis to try and get some intel out of him.

He wouldn't card anyone who wasn't affiliated with Academia. He was mistakenly under the impression that LDS was connected to it, which isn't entirely unreasonable to assume considering Leo, the Professor, is in the name.

That being said, if Reiji had his suions, he should have rooted them out immediately rather than take them to the Synchro dimension.

Dread Kaiser
29th September 2015, 03:30 PM
He wouldn't card anyone who wasn't affiliated with Academia. He was mistakenly under the impression that LDS was connected to it, which isn't entirely unreasonable to assume considering Leo, the Professor, is in the name.

That being said, had he his suions, he should have rooted them out immediately rather than take them to the Synchro dimension.

He had suspecions, not proof
had he brought them out, it would have made the group work even more poorly then it already did.

That, and he has been a solo guy from Day 1, taking care of it himself is completely within character

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
29th September 2015, 03:59 PM
He had suspecions, not proof
had he brought them out, it would have made the group work even more poorly then it already did.

That, and he has been a solo guy from Day 1, taking care of it himself is completely within character
I just remembered Reiji modified all of the Duel Disks with the "Dimension Mover." He could have literally just checked the decks. Could have taken them before Dennis had a chance to swap out the cards, too. All that assuming Reiji's Orwellian surveillance network didn't pick up Dennis with Yuri. And the fact that Dennis was ludicrously obvious in terms of eliciting suions.

I kinda phrased that poorly, I realized in hindsight; I meant Reiji should have dealt with Dennis before going to Shitty.

Dread Kaiser
29th September 2015, 04:10 PM
I just remembered Reiji modified all of the Duel Disks with the "Dimension Mover." He could have literally just checked the decks. Could have taken them before Dennis had a chance to swap out the cards, too. All that assuming Reiji's Orwellian surveillance network didn't pick up Dennis with Yuri. And the fact that Dennis was ludicrously obvious in terms of eliciting suions.

I kinda phrased that poorly, I realized in hindsight; I meant Reiji should have dealt with Dennis before going to Shitty.

Because a deck is ALWAYS in the disk...
Guess you forgot that detail

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
29th September 2015, 04:16 PM
Because a deck is ALWAYS in the disk...
Guess you forgot that detail

I assume it would be immediately at the conclusion of the Battle Royal. Considering that they just concluded dueling, and whatnot.

Dread Kaiser
29th September 2015, 04:53 PM
I assume it would be immediately at the conclusion of the Battle Royal. Considering that they just concluded dueling, and whatnot.

I assume they would keep their decks with them given that they would probably be in the way during modification since that typically requires atleast partial dissemblly of the device

ESPECIALLY after the battle royal. That'd be like giving only weapon to a guy who is modifying their armor

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
29th September 2015, 05:05 PM
I assume they would keep their decks with them given that they would probably be in the way during modification since that typically requires atleast partial dissemblly of the device

ESPECIALLY after the battle royal. That'd be like giving only weapon to a guy who is modifying their armor
Except that a deck is harmless without a disk since you can't manifest holograms to kill people. Well, not entirely harmless... *looks at Kaiba Seto*

That aside, taking the decks would just be an excuse for Reiji to grab intel anyways.

Dread Kaiser
29th September 2015, 05:43 PM
Except that a deck is harmless without a disk since you can't manifest holograms to kill people. Well, not entirely harmless... *looks at Kaiba Seto*

That aside, taking the decks would just be an excuse for Reiji to grab intel anyways.

because they might want to, I dunno, have them to brood over (see Yuya a few episodes ago) or you know, rebuild

and if Reiji wanted intel, he'd just bug the disks so that he can see the Extra deck anyway

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
29th September 2015, 05:46 PM
because they might want to, I dunno, have them to brood over (see Yuya a few episodes ago) or you know, rebuild

and if Reiji wanted intel, he'd just bug the disks so that he can see the Extra deck anyway

That just kind of proves my point that Reiji could have and should have dealt with Dennis before letting him into the plan that the Lancers are attempting to ally with the Shitty so that they can fight Academia together... unless Reiji WANTED Academia to begin invasion of the Synchro Dimension.

Dread Kaiser
29th September 2015, 05:52 PM
right. and no actually its more in character for Reiji to take the problem with him to Synchro, then take advantage of it

thanks to Dennis, the City Counsel just got a front row seat to an Example of what Academia can do

Yuuri
29th September 2015, 06:26 PM

If I recall correctly, there is a scene in episode 3 where Sora states Yuuya looks like "him." In this case, since Sora is from the Fusion dimension it is safe to assume that he is referring to Yuuya looking similar to Yuuri.

As for Dennis goes, it could possibly be for the same reason. Or perhaps, Dennis actually likes how Yuuya duels, and grew interested.

AccelRainbowDashley
29th September 2015, 06:42 PM
That just kind of proves my point that Reiji could have and should have dealt with Dennis before letting him into the plan that the Lancers are attempting to ally with the Shitty so that they can fight Academia together... unless Reiji WANTED Academia to begin invasion of the Synchro Dimension.

Pretty much and considering the Council said they want nothing to do with the war, it'll take nothing less than an invasion to convince them otherwise. Reiji has zero problem making other people suffer if it means getting them to see things his way. He did it to Yuya and everyone else, too.

ScionStorm
29th September 2015, 06:48 PM
Umm. All the lancers besides Yuya probably were required to hand over their decks to Reiji before they crossed dimensions so that he could engineer appropriate Pendulum monsters for them. Dennis, slight of hand being his talent, probably removed all traces of his AG cards before giving the deck//Extra deck to Reiji. But I don't think Reiji would just seize everything from them immediately after the Battle Royale. Yuya got to use his duel disk to duel his mom later that night and Reiji still had time the next day to modify the disk for portable solid vision.

Shun Kurosaki
1st October 2015, 02:23 PM
All I know is, he better have removed the cardifier from Serena's duel disk too!