PDA

View Full Version : ARC-V Episode 117 Discussion: Icy Wind and Ringing Bells

KingJinzo
7th August 2016, 10:54 AM
The episode starts with Yugo and Kaito being pushed out of the window/"cliff" by Rin and Ruri, respectively. Kaito is lucky, thanks to Kurosaki's Rise Falcon saving him. Learning that Ruri did that to Kaito, Kurosaki goes "RURI!" and rushes to her (he might need two episodes to even reach her, while Kaito and Yugo only took one episode). Yugo isn't so lucky and lands without his helmet on his D-Wheel. As 5D's male characters tend to survive falls without injuries, neither Yugo is hurt nor his D-Wheel is damaged (reminds me very much of Yusei and his Yusei-Go in the Crash Town arc). Rin challenges him to a duel and wears the Yuri-colored Academia Disk. But her logic is flawed. She challenges him to a duel, pushes him out of the window, expects him to be uninjured and then activates her Duel Disk. Even if she's a tsundere, she cannot expect Yugo to be the indestructable Keitaro Urashima from Love Hina or something.

As I predicted, following the Kachou Fuugetsu principle, Rin's deck represents the "Fuu" kanji, as her deck is based on WIND monsters, the Wind Witch archetype. It's similar to Yuzu's archetype in appearance and play style. Like most Synchro decks, her deck is spam-friendly, but interestingly, her deck uses a Burn strategy, which might be reminiscent to Speed World 2's burn effect. A WIND Burn Deck? That sounds promising. Her deck uses witches and is also music-themed: bells, which might be a pun to her name Rin (to ring). The Japanese term "rinrin" is also related to the pierce and cold wind, and for those who watched Smile! PreCure, you might have noticed that. Her deck isn't just related to wind, but also to ice. It's an icy wind that frost burns the opponent's life. Additionally, her deck copies effects from the Graveyard. As fitting to being possessed, she uses a Trap Card to taint the beautiful Clear Wing Synchro Dragon with black wind, weakening it and negating its effect.

The parasites are actually inside the girls brains (which is visually even shown). The old dude acts like any old creeper, while the Professor is simply stoic and doesn't show anything particularly evil signs from him aside from being indifferent. Reiji tells Yuya how he went to Academia and met Serena, his promise with Yusho and how and why Yusho disappeared. We also learn from Reiji that he was aware of the Professor's plan, Revival Zero. He found a file about Serena and Yuri, and that's why how he assumed that Yuzu and Yuya are connected to the plan, since they share the same face and not coincidently. That's nothing new to us, but it also confirms that the dragon boys are definitively part of the plan and not locked out. But we don't know why the Professor is only focusing on the Bracelet Girls. The good thing is that the other Lancers are also aware of Yuri now (Sawatari, Gongenzaka, Tsukikage and Crow) and Yuya finally learns his name. If Reiji knows so much, why didn't he reveal that 64 episodes before?

The duel continues. As expected, Rin uses the Parasite Fusioner to summon Crystal Bell. It has really strong effects, which makes me wonder how strong Ruri's Fusion Monster will be and if Yuzu will get an even stronger Fusion Monster than Bloom Diva. Even prior to this episode, I got Jack vs Carly and Yusei vs Aki (rematch) vibes, but this one might take it even further.

Rin destroys her and Yugo's baby, and Yugo finally puts his Duel Disk on his arm. He manages to summon Crystal Wing and destroys Crystal Bell. However, Rin summons another Crystal Wing and defeats Yugo with burn damage. Did you notice that she inflicted 2500 burn damage through out the duel and only 1550 battle damage? Yugo isn't carded nor captured. He simply lays on the ground. And Rin returns to the Professor. Kurosaki, you are fucked.

Yuzu is put in jail by Serena, whose parasite is still crawling inside her ear. (Did the writers watched too much Tokyo Ghoul or something?)

Needless to say, Rin is a smart duelist and I wonder how much of her skills were influenced by the parasite. Crystal Bell definitively contributes very heavily to her strategy and she knows how to use her resources from the graveyard.

She effectively took down Yugo and shutting down both Clear Wing and Crystal Wing. Clear Wing with her Trap Card, and Crystal Wing by forcing Yugo to use its effect once, so she can re-summon her Crystal Bell. After exactly 80 episodes, Yugo and Clear Wing are finally defeated.

Meanwhile, the Lancers finally leave the boat and arrive on Academia, and unlike Guts, they only needed two weeks in real life to get to their destination.

The preview has:

-Lancers vs mooks.
-An instructor who looks like a combination of Gozaburo and Yuri. (Yuri's father?)

XBrain130
7th August 2016, 12:02 PM
Rin must be a dominatrix in bed. I'm not sure if I would want to be Yugo or not when she has the lead.

darkgod789
7th August 2016, 12:22 PM
am I the only one that is glad he lost? It's nice that we are getting a generic fusion summon card and I guess I like watching the evil guys or their possessed tools win . There should've been a troll song when the fusion summoned back parasite fusioner and the synchro.

KingJinzo
7th August 2016, 12:57 PM
Speaking of Fusion Substitute Monsters, does Rin use Parasite Fusioner to use it as a substitute for Winter Bell while Winter Bell herself is used as the generic material?

XBrain130
7th August 2016, 01:14 PM
Speaking of Fusion Substitute Monsters, does Rin use Parasite Fusioner to use it as a substitute for Winter Bell while Winter Bell herself is used as the generic material?

Probably yes.

yshipster
7th August 2016, 01:51 PM
Probably yes.

The anime version of Crystal Rose did the same thing, so this is anime-exclusive logic.

KingJinzo
7th August 2016, 02:30 PM
The anime version of Crystal Rose did the same thing, so this is anime-exclusive logic.
It's not anime-exclusive, since there is nothing that prevents you from using two Winter Bells as Fusion Materials. You can use two Bubblemen for Absolute Zero.

King
7th August 2016, 02:42 PM
Did Yugo held back a little ? or he actually lost ?

KingJinzo
7th August 2016, 02:57 PM
He clearly didn't held back. He was using his ace from the start. Rin shut down Clear Wing by negating its effects and halving its ATK to prevent it from destroying Winter Bell. Yugo negated Winter Bell's attack with his Three-Eyed Dice, but that was part of Rin's plan to Special Summon Parasite Fusioner from her hand and to Fusion Summon in the Battle Phase. When Yugo summoned Crystal Wing and attacked her, Rin used Clear Wing's effect from the Graveyard to negate Crystal Wing's effect, but she knew that Crystal Wing could negate it, since it was her plan that Crystal Wing had to use its negating effect once so it cannot be used anymore. With Parasite Fusioner to prevent Crystal Bell from being destroyed by Crystal Wing's effect, she was destroyed in battle without Rin losing the duel. And with Crystal Wing's effect being gone for the rest of the turn, she summoned her second Crystal Bell to finish of Yugo.

Yeah, there was no indication that Yugo held back. He was overwhelmed by Rin's strategy and her new Fusion Monsters. It might be tougher for her without Crystal Bell, so I don't know how the duel would have turned out if she hadn't any Fusion Monsters. But the writers could have made it different by making Crystal Bell a Synchro evolution instead, but with the same effects, and a Tuner that would act like Parasite Fusioner.

Volteccer
7th August 2016, 03:02 PM

I don't think he was holding back, I think that this is just the first time we've seen him fight someone he's played before (and so knows how to play around Clear & Crystal Wing).

KingJinzo
7th August 2016, 03:07 PM
I don't think he was holding back, I think that this is just the first time we've seen him fight someone he's played before (and so knows how to play around Clear & Crystal Wing).
Yes, Rin was in advantage since she knew about Clear Wing and Crystal Wing and knew how to counter them. Yugo wasn't aware of Parasite Fusioner or Crystal Bell, so he could only do what he could. And Crystal Bell's copying effect is really strong, since it can copy from both Graveyards and it's a Quick Effect. So far, all Bracelet Girls have really strong Fusion Monsters.

King
7th August 2016, 03:20 PM
So Crystsl Wing existed even before Yuya's Arrival in Synchro Dimension ? After his first on-screen defeat, who will fight Rin ?

yshipster
7th August 2016, 03:21 PM
It's not anime-exclusive, since there is nothing that prevents you from using two Winter Bells as Fusion Materials. You can use two Bubblemen for Absolute Zero.

The effect "While this card is face-up on the field, you can substitute this card for any 1 Fusion Material" can NOT be used for a substitution of a non-specific Fusion Material in the OCG/TCG, but only in the anime.

King
7th August 2016, 03:31 PM
Hyped for Shun vs Ruri. How edgy is Shun next to Ruri ?

Baroque
7th August 2016, 04:07 PM
The effect "While this card is face-up on the field, you can substitute this card for any 1 Fusion Material" can NOT be used for a substitution of a non-specific Fusion Material in the OCG/TCG, but only in the anime.
Right, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't using it as such -- if the episode says otherwise m'bad, but the wiki (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind_Witch_Crystal_Bell) lists Crystal Bell's materials as being one specific one (Winter Bell) and one non-specific one (a "Wind Witch" monster); in that case, she could use a Winter Bell for the "Wind Witch" monster material while substituting the Parasite for the specific listed material. I'm reasonably sure that's doable, at any rate.

yshipster
7th August 2016, 04:43 PM
Right, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't using it as such -- if the episode says otherwise m'bad, but the wiki (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wind_Witch_Crystal_Bell) lists Crystal Bell's materials as being one specific one (Winter Bell) and one non-specific one (a "Wind Witch" monster); in that case, she could use a Winter Bell for the "Wind Witch" monster material while substituting the Parasite for the specific listed material. I'm reasonably sure that's doable, at any rate.

That's actually possible, indeed.

KingJinzo
7th August 2016, 04:48 PM

Didn't you listen to me? Rin was using the Parasite to substitue Winter Bell. She basically used TWO Winter Bells to Fusion Summon and that is legal in real life as well.

King
7th August 2016, 04:56 PM
How nerfed it will be if this card manage to get released IRL ?

KingJinzo
7th August 2016, 05:20 PM
How nerfed it will be if this card manage to get released IRL ?
An Quick Effect that can copy monster effects from either Graveyard that is semi-generic and can be easily summoned with Fusion Substitute Monsters... The drawback is that to use Crystal Bell's second effect, Winter Bell has to be in the Graveyard, so she depended on having Winter Bell in the Graveyard. Normally you wouldn't do it and use just another generic Materials since Parasite Fusioner can substitute for Winter Bell, but without having Winter Bell in the Graveyard, Rin's combo of summoning a second one wouldn't work that way. Let's hope she has better Synchro Monsters and better Main Deck monsters. Winter Bell has potential, but that depends on Rin's Main Deck monsters, and Winter Bell's ATK is just average. Spellcasters have their ways to Special Summon themselves, so Rin already has a lot of Spellcaster-Type support.

LolsterXD97
7th August 2016, 05:24 PM
I like Rin's cards, Ice Bell is cute af. But by the darker side I find sad that Yugo said that Rin spammed Ice Bell hell and back before, because that excatly was the key card to defeat him.

Destiny91
7th August 2016, 06:05 PM
Well, we got some interesting cards used by Yugo in these 2 duels

Speedroid Scratch: What the deck needed, now you don't need to topdeck Terrortop and the discarding cost is great if you have things like DenDen Daikou or Three-Eyed Dice in your hand. I hope it also gets a graveyard Effect by banishing it.

Speedroid Bamboo Horse: Speedroids also needed a card that could Special Summon monsters from the hand. Now you can open up with Synchro Summons even if you don't have Terrortop or Taketombog in hand. The attack restriction should be removed though.

The Spell Yugo used this Episode was also good, but since it needs your opponent to control a monster with a Level it may not see much use (if it is actually printed and keeps that Effect of course)

J. D. Guy
7th August 2016, 06:19 PM

That's actually possible, indeed.

Interestingly enough, so far, they seem to be a bit more conscientious regarding Fusion Subtitute Monsters this go-round with Parasite Fusioner, as compared to Crystal Rose, since they specifically wrote the Anime proxy of the Fusion Monster to require a specifically named Material that Parasite Fusioner could copy, and therefore, would be directly imitable in real life without any kind of additional tweaking. We'll need to see the other Parasite Fusioner Fusions first to be absolutely sure, but that little extra foresight is cool if they took the time to do so this time. :)

The only tiny catch that's rather inconsequential for enjoying the Duel that only a nerd would notice is that Crystal Bell coping Ice Bell's effect somehow made the copied effect a Quick Effect, too.

darkgod789
7th August 2016, 06:43 PM
I do wonder how they will release parasite fusioner. Will it be able to trigger when normal summoned. Even if it isn't, we could use it in fluffals since toy vendor summons anything from hand. You could go for sheep without chain.

KingJinzo
7th August 2016, 07:00 PM
The only tiny catch that's rather inconsequential for enjoying the Duel that only a nerd would notice is that Crystal Bell coping Ice Bell's effect somehow made the copied effect a Quick Effect, too.

Another interesting thing is that Ice Bell's effect only works during the turn she is summoned. Everytime Rin uses this effect, she just summoned Winter/Crystal Bell. But I think Crystal Bell's effect will be worded differently and the copied effects are used as part of the resolution of the effects, since I don't see how she didn't miss the timing when Crystal Wing's effect was activated.

Eternalight
7th August 2016, 11:43 PM
I'm personally not really a fan of the fact that they make her a fusion monster of her archetype just like that.
It feels weird somehow for me.
She should just play with synchro instead IMO, except if the fusion monster was more generic.

By the way, nice summary, KingJinzo.

Comun
8th August 2016, 01:40 AM
I'm amazed at this episode for how they made me feel legitimately sad for a motorcycle.
There so many flashback showing all the love and effort they put into that thing. We see them drawing blueprints, studying on the library, struggling to buy good pieces, etc. with such earnest dedication to make this D-Wheel they would share in the Friendship Cup.

I hope they explore a bit of Rin's feelings about this after she comes back to normal. Not only she lost the opportunity to ever use the D-Wheel she worked her entire childhood for in the Friendship Cup, but she also destroyed her life's work with her own hands.

Zarkiel
8th August 2016, 04:43 AM
I'm surprised nobody commented about this yet.
http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/4061/5564/original.jpg
Overall, great episode.

KingJinzo
8th August 2016, 05:57 AM
I'm surprised nobody commented about this yet.
http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/4061/5564/original.jpg
Overall, great episode.
That literally got me WTF. And we learn that her "pajamas" are her street clothes.

...They are so poor that they cannot even buy pajamas...

KingJinzo
8th August 2016, 06:02 AM
I'm amazed at this episode for how they made me feel legitimately sad for a motorcycle.
There so many flashback showing all the love and effort they put into that thing. We see them drawing blueprints, studying on the library, struggling to buy good pieces, etc. with such earnest dedication to make this D-Wheel they would share in the Friendship Cup.

I hope they explore a bit of Rin's feelings about this after she comes back to normal. Not only she lost the opportunity to ever use the D-Wheel she worked her entire childhood for in the Friendship Cup, but she also destroyed her life's work with her own hands.
Yes, you feel bad for both of them. Just imagine what will happen if Rin realized what she has done.

But what will Ruri do to Kurosaki? Yugo is part of Revival Zero, so he can't be carded. Kurosaki is a Lancer and an enemy that can be disposed. And if he gets carded, what will Kaito and Edo do? Duel her? And what if they get carded as well? Well, it would be weird if Ruri defeats all three of them, so I doubt that is going to happen. But if Kurosaki loses, it would set-up Yuya/Yuto vs Ruri, with Yuto taking over Yuya's body and using Yuto's deck that was somehow in his locker.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
8th August 2016, 06:14 AM
Apart from the rather boring duel, this episode (as expected) fell completely flat emotional. Leaving aside the fact that brainwashing is a cheap drama cliche used in place of actual character development, Yugo and Rin have had such little screen time and such a superficial development of their relationship that the only feeling elicited by this duel was apathy.

KingJinzo
8th August 2016, 07:03 AM
Being too critical does take your enjoyment.

I wonder what Z-ARC_001 and RAY-A_001 refer to?
http://66.media.tumblr.com/e2c2984be91c2da60922d5549edf5193/tumblr_objv091Cko1tzy27bo2_1280.png

And what is Revival Zero?
https://66.media.tumblr.com/bab9c47b7d3bc0ae9ed3d000494dc4be/tumblr_obky51gJLa1u84ds5o1_1280.png
That sounds similar to Zero Reverse. Or something like a ritual, but more scientific.
Btw, I'm aware of Ruri's circumstance, so she and Yuto aren't smiling makes sense, but not smiling doesn't suit her pretty face. I like how Yuto is put lower than the other boys just so his hair would fit in the picture.

Why didn't I notice earlier that Serena's hair decoration resemble the shape of two crescent moons?

pyrQ
8th August 2016, 09:11 AM
How little Yuri can look so cute and so evil at the same time is beyond me.

Baroque
8th August 2016, 09:24 AM
That literally got me WTF. And we learn that her "pajamas" are her street clothes.

...They are so poor that cannot even buy pajamas...
Welcome to (Neo New) Satellite, gentlemen! That Yugo and Rin were able to slap together their wheels is (much like with Yusei before them) pretty impressive when one thinks about it, given that the budget they'd likely have to work with would be most appropriately described as 'anorexic-shoestring'.

Well, eggplants are inherently funny vegetables, if nothing else.

Sanokal
8th August 2016, 09:47 AM
Well, I think that Yugo still had a trap card...
Now if you'll excuse me, there's a bucket that I need to be sick in.

KingJinzo
8th August 2016, 09:50 AM

Maybe it's the eyebrows. They look very evil.

pyrQ
8th August 2016, 09:58 AM
Maybe it's the eyebrows. They look very evil.
It's always the eyebrows. Also, I like how it looks like Serena's hair thing grew in size along with her.

KingJinzo
8th August 2016, 10:12 AM
Why was the second Ice Bell given a different color than the first one. She has the same card artwork like the first Ice Bell, so why is she colored green/torquoise and not purple?

KingJinzo
8th August 2016, 11:53 AM
Also, I like how it looks like Serena's hair thing grew in size along with her.
I've noticed it today, too.

KingKaash
9th August 2016, 02:05 AM
Bravo great episode! Rin is my favorite of the girls now. Synchros + Fusions is the kind of advanced ability I was expecting from Academia and Rin delivered. Little Yuri was funny to see. And the emotion and disbelief from Yugo was stellar. Yugo finally suffers his first loss and no he didn't hold back. Sure he hasn't used that Dragon's Bind + Follow Wing combo since the first he debuted such a strategy, but he was using Clear Wing from the start.

I doubt the effects of her Wind Witch monsters stay the same but I loved them way more than Serena's Lunalight. Yuzu's monsters have nice effects also.

My hunch on Revival Zero is that it unleashes Berserk Darkness Yuya from inside of him and maybe Genesis Omega Dragon (G.O.D). Religions say that when there was nothing else, there was GOD who created the universes. So Genesis Omega or whatever counterpart it is may be Leo Akaba's plan. Not to unite the 4 Yuzus or even the 4 Yuyas, but their 4 dragons. Berserk Yuya might be a side effect he might not expect. I miss Berserk Yuya btw. I hope he comes back soon.

Seeing Yugo not get captured or carded leads me to believe that there will be a rematch between Rin and Yugo.

And is it weird for me to root for Ruri instead of Shun? I've been rooting for Shun the whole way because of his ruthlessness. But seeing the way these girls master betrayal and annihilate their best friends has me switching sides. I actually hope Shun loses.

Also shocked Sayaka didn't tag along with Edo and Shun

KingJinzo
9th August 2016, 07:08 AM
Bravo great episode! Rin is my favorite of the girls now. Synchros + Fusions is the kind of advanced ability I was expecting from Academia and Rin delivered. Little Yuri was funny to see. And the emotion and disbelief from Yugo was stellar. Yugo finally suffers his first loss and no he didn't hold back. Sure he hasn't used that Dragon's Bind + Follow Wing combo since the first he debuted such a strategy, but he was using Clear Wing from the start.

I doubt the effects of her Wind Witch monsters stay the same but I loved them way more than Serena's Lunalight. Yuzu's monsters have nice effects also.

My hunch on Revival Zero is that it unleashes Berserk Darkness Yuya from inside of him and maybe Genesis Omega Dragon (G.O.D). Religions say that when there was nothing else, there was GOD who created the universes. So Genesis Omega or whatever counterpart it is may be Leo Akaba's plan. Not to unite the 4 Yuzus or even the 4 Yuyas, but their 4 dragons. Berserk Yuya might be a side effect he might not expect. I miss Berserk Yuya btw. I hope he comes back soon.

Seeing Yugo not get captured or carded leads me to believe that there will be a rematch between Rin and Yugo.

And is it weird for me to root for Ruri instead of Kurosaki? I've been rooting for Kurosaki the whole way because of his ruthlessness. But seeing the way these girls master betrayal and annihilate their best friends has me switching sides. I actually hope Kurosaki loses.

You only like the characters as long as they're edgy? Well, Kurosaki has a big "death"/loss flag, and since Rin delievered so well, Ruri won't disappoint.

The effects of many members of the Lunalight and Melodious archetypes were buffed. Aria or Purple Butterfly are big examples. Ice Bell might become better than her anime counterpart.

Revival Zero might have something to do with the Akabas, since the names of Professor Leo Akaba, Reiji and Layra contain all the kanji "rei" for "zero". Maybe the Professor want to revive an almighty ancestor named Zero? Who knows what his mad plan is. And if it's really related to the Akaba clan, the dub obviously fucked up yet again because how do you get "zero" from "Declan" and his brother?

Sanokal
9th August 2016, 07:38 AM
You only like the characters as long as they're edgy? Well, Kurosaki has a big "death"/loss flag, and since Rin delievered so well, Ruri won't disappoint.

The effects of many members of the Lunalight and Melodious archetypes were buffed. Aria or Purple Butterfly are big examples. Ice Bell might become better than her anime counterpart.

Revival Zero might have something to do with the Akabas, since the names of Professor Leo Akaba, Reiji and Layra contain all the kanji "rei" for "zero". Maybe the Professor want to revive an almighty ancestor named Zero? Who knows what his mad plan is. And if it's really related to the Akaba clan, the dub obviously fucked up yet again because how do you get "zero" from "Declan" and his brother?

It was boned regardless, because we sure as hell wouldn't have called Leo "Reo" or "Reio".

KingJinzo
9th August 2016, 08:06 AM
It was boned regardless, because we sure as hell wouldn't have called Leo "Reo" or "Reio".

Leo is a pun to "Reio", and it does work in Japanese, since it is just a stylized spelling. Rin Okamato calls himself "Lynn", and in Death Note, "tsuki" is pronounced as "Raito" and spelled as "Light". Even if the dub watchers won't notice it, if the "Zero" is inspired by the Akaba men, then it's still lost in translation and cannot be restored, even if the series would bring that up.

Sanokal
9th August 2016, 09:33 AM
Leo is a pun to "Reio", and it does work in Japanese, since it is just a stylized spelling. Rin Okamato calls himself "Lynn", and in Death Note, "tsuki" is pronounced as "Raito" and spelled as "Light". Even if the dub watchers won't notice it, if the "Zero" is inspired by the Akaba men, then it's still lost in translation and cannot be restored, even if the series would bring that up.

...aka, exactly what I just said.