PDA

View Full Version : ARC-V Episode 118 Discussion: The Forest is the Beast's "Colosseum"

KingJinzo
14th August 2016, 10:23 AM
Last Thursday, Yuya has started a Pokémon Battle with Bakura in the Kalos League's final match where seven of their Pokémon have already fainted and they have only five members in total left. But now he's taking a break from that battle and comes back to Yu-Gi-Oh!, so his pals can finally get some screentime, while Kurosaki spends yet another entire episode just to catch up some stairs, even though Yugo and Kaito didn't need that long.

The Lancers arrive on Academia and climp up a cliff, except Crow who somehow gets there with his D-Wheel. Did he just drive on the wall? It's nothing new, since Yugo and Fake Jack pulled out these stunts, but it's a freaking rocky cliff wall!

Meanwhile, Instructor (totally not Bernard) Sanders (or maybe Thunders the Pokémon (Jolteon) to make a Majoume Thunder reference.) sends out his mooks to card the Lancers. Sanders looks like Gozaburo Kaiba with Yuri's hair antennae. So, are Sanders and Yuri related to each other? If Sanders is his last name, so is Yuri's full name "Yuri Sanders?"
Anyway, the red mooks arrive, but before the Lancers accept their challenge, they just physically attack them. Sora, Reiji and Reira go into a different direction, while Yuya, Gongenzaka, Hyper Strong Duelist Sawatari, Tsukikage and Crow defend them from the red mooks and mostly fight them off-screen. While monitoring them, Sanders uses this as an opportunity to instruct his blue mooks like it's a lesson. If it wasn't for his whip, I would like him more, but he doesn't seem to whip people. Before the red mooks lose, they just run away and the Lancers follow them, but they get trapped by Trap Cards and are taken to an arena where the Survival Duel is held. Sanders sends blue of his mooks who have actual names to challenge the Lancers to card them. Is that an honorable thing that they didn't try to card them when they were captured or is it a pride thing? Or both?

Despite I thought this episode is not going to be spoiler-tag worthy, I guess I have to...

Tsukikage feels guilty that he couldn't prevent the Lancers from falling into the trap and how they are in this situation where they might have to card other people, and he rushes alone through the forest field. However, besides the 10 people in the field, there is an 11th person, who is later revealed to be the Battle Beast in episode 120 (or maybe even earlier). Even though his monsters are silhouetted, they look like Gladiator Beasts to me. The Battle Beast doesn't differenciate between allies and foes, carding Academia students as well (three). Even though Tsukikage duels him, he also falls to his predating and is carded, but he gives Yuya and Gongenzaka a dying message: the presence of the 11th duelist. Looks like Ultra Hyper Strong Duelist Sawatari has been carded, too (so he gets spared from dueling Yuri?), judging from his scream. I doubt Crow is going to be carded in the next two episodes; he rushed immediately to Sawatari but he is not nearly as "weak". However, the lost of two Lancers and almost off-screen is... it's a bid of a war-vibe. You don't see how your friends fall and suddenly they are just gone. Not too emotional, but it happens.

We don't even get actual duels in this episode, as all of them happen off-screen.

Meanwhile, Edo finds Yugo and tells Yugo about the brainwashing, while Yugo tells him from the parasite. Okay, what? Kurosaki hasn't reached the tower yet, but Edo manages to get all over to the West Tower during all that time? Did he used monsters, did he used his Brittish powers, did he used Superhero powers? How did he got from east to west so quickly while Kurosaki doesn't even manage to reach the top of a tower?! Did Edo train for the Olympics or did he dope? Or maybe because he is EDO PHOENIX!

Next week, Yuya goes back to Pokémon XY&Z to resume his battle with Bakura and hopefully Bakura finally wins after 19 years and exactly 930 episodes.

And here is the preview, that gives me more WTF:

-Ruri vs Kurosaki and she looks evil as fuck. Drawn prettier than Rin last episode and she has some Serena vibe.
-Ruri's Xyz Monster. A bird-based (KaCHOU Fuugetsu) girl, but not exactly Harpies. Lyrical Luscinia - Assemble Nightingale, Rank 1, WATER. Apparently and logically, her deck is based on birds and on singing. Any chance that she watched Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha too much? (If that's the case, her deck would be full of Magical Girls firing giant pink lasers or slashing things with thunder or nuke entire fields with gigantic black explosion or covering cities in gigantic black spheres.) Her monster has four Overlay Units.
-We get a glimpse of her evil Fusion Monster.
-Kurosaki uses Blaze Falcon.
-We get to see a flashback (finally) of Ruri and Kurosaki. He slaps Little Fairy out of Ruri's hand that she got from Sayaka and he looks pissed. What? Is he angry about her getting a Kotori card? "You are not fucking Kotori!" may he said.
-Kurosaki uses flash steps (Shunpo) to dodge. WTF?! He can flash step, but he cannot get to the top of a fucking tower within the time where Edo gets from the East Tower to the West Tower? I don't know how far away the towers are from each other, but why is Kurosaki so fucking slow when he runs on freaking stairs. Or does he have to fight another Kurosaki to activate his Shinigami powers so he can use Shunpo?

LolsterXD97
14th August 2016, 11:58 AM
Sanders is such a troll, he didn't warn his students about Battle Beast and three of them got carded. Wouldn't surprise me if he cards Emma and Jacob too, making the whole 5 vs 5 thing totally pointless (just have Battle Beast solo all of them). He is so savage that they even gave him Sergey's theme.

Also, RIP, Tsukikage, I will always remember you as one the characters who seemed minor but finally got a big role.

EmperorShun
14th August 2016, 03:21 PM
The episode contained much and not much. We saw a lot of things going on, but only for a few seconds. I dont think they would card Sawatari now, I guess Crow saves the day. Also poor Tsukikage, i would've love more Ninjas, oh well.
Not to much to say to the ep, it was just a build up for ep 120 & 121.

Now about the preview:

So we got some Level/Rank 1 things going on. And even 4 mats, she must have confidence that Shun wont blow that up. I hope we see like 2 new RR cards, like witht the Rin/Yugo duel. The hype lives on, week after week. Now if only we could get Vjump already, we need "new" card reveals.

KingJinzo
14th August 2016, 05:39 PM
Sanders is such a troll, he didn't warn his students about Battle Beast and three of them got carded. Wouldn't surprise me if he cards Emma and Jacob too, making the whole 5 vs 5 thing totally pointless (just have Battle Beast solo all of them).
It was to subvert our expectations of this episode and it showcases how ruthless he is.

KingJinzo
14th August 2016, 06:06 PM
Okay, after checking the cast list for the next episode, it looks like

that Ultra Hyper Strong Sawatari is still alive, unless it happens at the beginning of the episode. Well, if he's still alive, good. I want him to be carded by Yuri anyway. Jacob, Emma and Battle Beast are also there. I guess, in the stinger.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
14th August 2016, 06:35 PM
What a trash episode. Unceremoniously killing off at least one character to fucking filler.

I can only assume Academia has short-range teleporters in addition to interdimensional teleporters, and Edo had the keys to them so he could reach Yugo before Shun reached Ruri. That, or it's showing events non-chronlogically.

Also, what the hell was that Engrish? "Glory to the Academia?" I guess they're trying to play up the Nazi vibes.

HelixReactor
14th August 2016, 07:25 PM
Welp. That was rather underwhelming.

I guess the episode was supposed to have solid plot elements? But the setting was way too fillery to care about those.

I don't particularily care about Tsukikage, but as (technically) part of the main cast, he deserved as much better death scene.

Overall, the episode was boring. I guess it was nice to see Gladiator Beasts in action (if that's what they were).

As for episode 119's preview,

Up next, Shun acting like a real big bro by slapping the Kotori away from Ruri. Either that, or he just really upset about seeing his beloved little sis befriending a mere Clover, and understandably so; said Clover isn't someone you'd like to stay too close too.

In any case, there's no doubt next episode will be much better than today's.

GLORY TO THE ULTRA HYPER STRONG DUELIST SAWATARI SHINGO!!

Dyson Sphere
14th August 2016, 08:38 PM
yeah lets see some meta legacy support for gladiator beasts in this

Zarkiel
15th August 2016, 03:47 AM
If they don't keep adding superlatives to Ultra Hyper Super Strong Duelist Neo New Sawatari's name, I'm going to be upset. I need at least a paragraph of them to be satisfied now.

Sanokal
15th August 2016, 07:08 AM
The episode timelines aren't necessarily consistent and regular. Yugo was teleported instantaneously between episodes 112 and 116 (or maybe he really can travel through time now, hah!)

Crow's Duel Runner has flight mode.

Aster is pretty athletic, and he knows his way around Duel Academy.

Shay won't have recovered that quickly, and take it from me, stairs are a bitch, especially if they're that long.

It's filler-ish, but not filler. Crap like this was always going to happen. What, you expected this to be easy?

It was only disappointed because I expected more dueling. Glad Beasts more than make up for it though, hell yeah!

Also, no! Moooooooooooon! Stop mocking me, show!

Baroque
15th August 2016, 09:05 AM
Dammit Moon Moon. We were hoping for more Ninjas out of you before the writers threw you under a bus.

Here's hoping the folks that're getting carded end up getting un-carded for some future action.

Eternalight
15th August 2016, 09:16 AM
I know that the real ninja is actually more of a spy and an assassin and not an OP warrior. But c'mon, he should be stronger than that. When was the last time Tsukikage fought a good duel and win? He needs more love. He should be a (somewhat) more "professional" member of the Lancers.

It would be nice if it's actually Gladiator Beast. I like more if they add new supports to older archetype instead of making a new half-assed archetype.

Kachoufuugetsu confirmed, daym ! Nice call, man.
And it seems that Ruri will use an LL archetype while Shun uses an RR archetype.
Because.. you know.. in Japanese, L and R are similar. GENIUS !

By the way, fun summary as always, KingJinzo.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
15th August 2016, 07:01 PM
Does LL mean that her name is actually meant to be Luli?

pyrQ
15th August 2016, 08:49 PM
Does LL mean that her name is actually meant to be Luli?

It could be because her name (Ruri) means "Lapis Lazuli".

Sanokal
15th August 2016, 11:05 PM
So disappointed that no-one got the DBZA reference...

KingKaash
16th August 2016, 02:16 AM
Definitely a buildup episode and it did its job.

What a trash episode. Unceremoniously killing off at least one character to fucking filler.

I wouldn't call the Battle Beast filler. Especially since a certain King has to arrive later to intervene. I think Tsukikage served his purpose. He had no story left to develop so it makes sense for him to leave at this point. I do wish he got to expose the Battle Beast and what this beast does himself, but they're leaving that as a headliner for Yuya and Gong. I just wish it was Sawatari instead.

Looking ahead, is Ruri gonna pass up Rin in my heart already? Man, these evil girls are too awesome. Evil face and a Rank 1 Xyz with 4 material. Is she gonna bring out a legit R1Nk deck?

One thing I am curious on after the Battle Beast episodes end is if everyone has the parasite planted inside their head? Maybe Sora, Edo and others have it in their heads too and Leo just hasn't activated it yet. That would allow for a Sora vs Shun rematch that I want

LolsterXD97
16th August 2016, 02:22 AM
One thing I am curious on after the Battle Beast episodes end is if everyone has the parasite planted inside their head? Maybe Sora, Edo and others have it in their heads too and Leo just hasn't activated it yet. That would allow for a Sora vs Shun rematch that I want

Maybe, we don't know how Leo checked Sora's memories in the Standard Arc after all and the parasite is said to control the host's memories. And Sora leading Reiji and Reira away from the danger is way similar to Serena leading Yuzu away from the pirates.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
16th August 2016, 03:54 AM
Definitely a buildup episode and it did its job.

I wouldn't call the Battle Beast filler. Especially since a certain King has to arrive later to intervene. I think Tsukikage served his purpose. He had no story left to develop so it makes sense for him to leave at this point. I do wish he got to expose the Battle Beast and what this beast does himself, but they're leaving that as a headliner for Yuya and Gong. I just wish it was Sawatari instead.

Looking ahead, is Ruri gonna pass up Rin in my heart already? Man, these evil girls are too awesome. Evil face and a Rank 1 Xyz with 4 material. Is she gonna bring out a legit R1Nk deck?

It is filler, though. He has no bearing on the plot; he's essentially a miniboss blocking the path to the main villain. Tsukikage having no story left with so little to begin with makes him a waste of a character in the first place. What was the point of making him a Lancer if he ends up being little more than a bodyguard that barely even shows up? It's proof once again that ARC-V can't make a compelling character arc for shit. As for the brainwashed Ruris, I have to say, way to go, reducing your main girls to plot devices instead of substantial characters. Their designs and decks are all that can really be said of them.

KingKaash
16th August 2016, 05:40 AM
Maybe, we don't know how Leo checked Sora's memories in the Standard Arc after all and the parasite is said to control the host's memories. And Sora leading Reiji and Reira away from the danger is way similar to Serena leading Yuzu away from the pirates.

I thought the same thing when I saw Sora leave with those 2. He'll lead them right to Leo and then turn on them. Sora vs Reiji would be cool too. In all honesty, I can't see Sora unleashing his "ultimate Frightfur Fusion monster" (whether that was just dialogue or not who knows) or Edo unleashing another Destiny HERO while being good guys and fighting against Academia. It has to be while they are evil. I think they'll turn. And that will help even up the numbers on both sides.

It is filler, though. He has no bearing on the plot; he's essentially a miniboss blocking the path to the main villain. Tsukikage having no story left with so little to begin with makes him a waste of a character in the first place. What was the point of making him a Lancer if he ends up being little more than a bodyguard that barely even shows up? It's proof once again that ARC-V can't make a compelling character arc for shit. As for the brainwashed Ruris, I have to say, way to go, reducing your main girls to plot devices instead of substantial characters. Their designs and decks are all that can really be said of them.

It seems like you want things to end rather quickly. No need for secondary characters? So you just want 5 Yuyas on the shows for the good guys? And like 5 Yuris on the bad guys? Did you really think the Lancers wouldn't suffer one casualty to make this at least a bit realistic? Not everyone can be the superstar. There has to be side characters like Tsukikage. Yes for a side character, his story was still awfully limited. But after him, the rest of the sides have some story. Reira can really be developed. Sawatari still has his duel with Yuri before being used as a sacrificial lamb. Gong can push further with Synchro Pendulums. And for the girls, this is just the first phase of their stories. They'll be developed more if the show continues after the Fusion Dimension.

Sanokal
16th August 2016, 06:27 AM

That's not the definition of filler. It would be bonedead stupid in the context of the story for there to be no opposition, which is what this is. Filler has no bearing on the plot. ARC-V doesn't have filler.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
16th August 2016, 06:31 AM
I thought the same thing when I saw Sora leave with those 2. He'll lead them right to Leo and then turn on them. Sora vs Reiji would be cool too. In all honesty, I can't see Sora unleashing his "ultimate Frightfur Fusion monster" (whether that was just dialogue or not who knows) or Edo unleashing another Destiny HERO while being good guys and fighting against Academia. It has to be while they are evil. I think they'll turn. And that will help even up the numbers on both sides.

It seems like you want things to end rather quickly. No need for secondary characters? So you just want 5 Yuyas on the shows for the good guys? And like 5 Yuris on the bad guys? Did you really think the Lancers wouldn't suffer one casualty to make this at least a bit realistic? Not everyone can be the superstar. There has to be side characters like Tsukikage. Yes for a side character, his story was still awfully limited. But after him, the rest of the sides have some story. Reira can really be developed. Sawatari still has his duel with Yuri before being used as a sacrificial lamb. Gong can push further with Synchro Pendulums. And for the girls, this is just the first phase of their stories. They'll be developed more if the show continues after the Fusion Dimension.
The problem with introducing new characters is that older ones have not gotten enough screentime and development. I'll list off all of the characters that suffer from this:

Reiji, Gongenzaka, Yuto, Yuzu, Sora, Serena, Barret, Dennis, Leo, Yugo, Reira, Tsukikage, Yuri, Rin, Ruri, Shinji, Asuka, Edo, Allen, Sayaka, Gloria, Grace.

And yes, I did just rattle off the majority of the cast. But that's exactly the problem. The pacing and handling of plots and characters are godawful. The more filler characters they add, the more screwed over the cast gets in terms of development. All 4 Ruris are plot devices now. Yuto is dead. Yugo's relationship with Rin is so half-assed that there's no feeling to it. Same goes for Ruri. Yuri has done fuck all the entire series. The main rival is basically a glorified chauffeur. Absolutely none of the villains have a compelling character, even Sora becoming a good guy is utterly barebones. The show loses focus way too easily and it makes the characters look useless or outright bad. And killing characters isn't necessarily bad, but HOW you kill them matters. Tsukikage's death was utterly pathetic, even worse than Dennis' suicide.

And there is no "after the Fusion Dimension" because we'll be getting a different series. There is an extreme lack of development in the cast already, and they're making it worse with filler.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not the definition of filler. It would be bonedead stupid in the context of the story for there to be no opposition, which is what this is. Filler has no bearing on the plot. ARC-V doesn't have filler.

He's a filler villain. An actual, legitimate villain would have been introduced long ago and be given some influence over the progression of events. Sanders and Battle Beast have none of this; they're completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. You could replace them with Obelisk Force mooks and nothing substantial would change. Also, the Synchro arc was filler.

Baroque
16th August 2016, 06:36 AM
And there is no "after the Fusion Dimension" because we'll be getting a different series.
Y'know, there is a way they could potentially introduce an 'after the Fusion Dimension', but it'd be either rather endgamey or else probably feel a bit shoehorned -- a merged world, a la 'the bad guy managed to win for now and won hard'.

As for 'filler', um . . . I do get what you're saying, and I do rather agree that too many ingredients muddles the stew (I mean, we need only look to how the plot had to try its hardest to dance between them in the Synchro Dimension for proof of that), but you keep using that word (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTRKCXC0JFg&t=8s) . . .

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
16th August 2016, 06:49 AM
Y'know, there is a way they could potentially introduce an 'after the Fusion Dimension', but it'd be either rather endgamey or else probably feel a bit shoehorned -- a merged world, a la 'the bad guy managed to win for now and won hard'.

As for 'filler', um . . . I do get what you're saying, and I do rather agree that too many ingredients muddles the stew (I mean, we need only look to how the plot had to try its hardest to dance between them in the Synchro Dimension for proof of that), but you keep using that word (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTRKCXC0JFg&t=8s) . . .
Synchro added nothing to the "Dimensional War" plot. Yes, Roget was affiliated with Academia, but ultimately, he was irrelevant in their schemes. The Tops vs. Commons conflict was a self-contained plot. Yes, we have character development and interaction, but the only consequence that is relevant to the main conflict plot-wise is that Serena is captured. Yes, the Lancers pick up a few friends, but again, that has no bearing on the main conflict.

Sanokal
16th August 2016, 07:28 AM
It's. Not. Filler. Far out.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
16th August 2016, 07:34 AM
It's. Not. Filler. Far out.

Care to actually back up that statement?

Sanokal
16th August 2016, 07:46 AM
Care to actually back up that statement?

Primarily the stuff learned/unlocked with the Yus. Yes, it could have happened elsewhere. But just like the invasion slowdown, this was the in-universe logical progression of events. It also established that more Fusion people were willing to defect, setting up the (admittedly rushed) Heel Face Turn of Aster's lot in season three. And Yuya couldn't have really gone through the development that he did without Jack.

Is it too slow? Varies. Is it inconsequential filler? No. It has a large bearing on Yuya, AKA the main character of the freakin' story. It was logically dragged out.

Filler is generally put in to buy time regarding material; be it waiting for source material (DM), poorly compensating for removed content (5D's), or Shin Yoahida being a moron and emulating 5D's for some damn reason (and admittedly calling that filler is a kinda wrong since there are progressive events). To be honest, only the DM example is "true" filler as it was originally noted.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
16th August 2016, 08:13 AM
Primarily the stuff learned/unlocked with the Yus. Yes, it could have happened elsewhere. But just like the invasion slowdown, this was the in-universe logical progression of events. It also established that more Fusion people were willing to defect, setting up the (admittedly rushed) Heel Face Turn of Aster's lot in season three. And Yuya couldn't have really gone through the development that he did without Jack.

Is it too slow? Varies. Is it inconsequential filler? No. It has a large bearing on Yuya, AKA the main character of the freakin' story. It was logically dragged out.

Filler is generally put in to buy time regarding material; be it waiting for source material (DM), poorly compensating for removed content (5D's), or Shin Yoahida being a moron and emulating 5D's for some damn reason (and admittedly calling that filler is a kinda wrong since there are progressive events). To be honest, only the DM example is "true" filler as it was originally noted.
That's literally one thing we learned-- "Warera ga hitotsu ni"-- not to mention, it was inconsequential. What did Yuya do when possessed by the dragons/darkness? Scream a lot and defeat Crow. In other words, basically nothing of note.

As for character development, sure, that happened, even though it was spotty in most cases. But I'm talking about the plot. And let's look at our plot-relevant characters other than Yuya:
What did Leo do in terms of fulfilling his plan to unite the dimensions? He recaptured Serena, otherwise nothing. What did Yuto do? Scream for a bit and remain mostly dead. What did Yugo do? Have a few plot-irrelevant duels, scream, and then vanish offscreen. What did Yuri, a major villain do? Literally show up, summon a dragon, scream, and vanish. Yuzu? She cheered up Yuya and then became a damsel in distress. Serena? Get gassed, captured, and brainwashed. Reiji, the main rival, leader of the Lancers, and son of Leo? He stood around in front of the council, proclaiming "this is all according to plan."

Yuya's character development is an entirely different argument, so I won't get into that, but my original point stands-- no consequential plot development occurred during Synchro.

Sanokal
16th August 2016, 08:23 AM
Yuto woke up, if you'll remember. And Leo's been doing nothing all damn series - he'd better either end up being really good, or the Darkness needs to be the main villain. You know it's bad when the Doctor is a better villain than Leo after only two episodes.

For the main plot, little, yes. For character we've agreed on, but I thought that in retrospect, it foreshadowed many elements of the next season rather well.

EmperorShun
16th August 2016, 05:20 PM

Are we talking about this "more then 3000 ATK" and possible Chainsaw Dragon Frightfur mentioned in Crow VS Yuya?
Pics:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cp_z3AbXEAAQp01.jpg https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cp_z6DxWgAEZCJJ.jpg

That Chainsaw Dragon part came from a source that predicted RR Satelite Cannon Falcon, so it seems possible. Even more after Frightfur Haken Kraken (Gotta love that name). This stuff better be in Fusion Enforcers.

KingJinzo
16th August 2016, 06:05 PM
iNfiniTe Se7eNz has been complaining for months. I just ignore him.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
16th August 2016, 06:13 PM

So complaining is wrong when it can be backed up with rationalizations and concrete explanations of legitimate flaws of the series?

Look, I'm not expecting a masterpiece; I realize I'm watching a commercial for children's trading cards, but you can't expect me to overlook glaringly obvious flaws that manifest over and over again. I complain because I care about the series and it's disappointing to see it fail to live up to its potential again and again. Especially when you can look to the first arc of this very series and highlight how much better the character interactions were as well as having meaningful plot development.

KingJinzo
16th August 2016, 06:18 PM
It's not up to your expectation, okay? Leave it be.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
16th August 2016, 06:20 PM
It's not up to your expectation, okay? Leave it be.

I hope you recognize how childish this sounds. Legitimate criticism is an important part of discussion.

KingJinzo
16th August 2016, 06:28 PM
I hope you recognize how childish this sounds. Legitimate criticism is an important part of discussion.

Thing is, the majority here don't agree with you.

DelCtrl
16th August 2016, 07:15 PM
KingJinzo, pls, don't act so childish. Look, I know you and most of us, including 7z, like the show. But that's exactly why 7z is so critic with it. He want's it to be the best it can be in his view and have created his own expectations about it just like everyone else.

I, for one, don't completely agree with his opinion, but that's fine. If you can't discuss about the Arc-V anime on a YGO Forum, where would you? Don't we all have different opinions? You hate dub names while Sanokal only uses them for example.

And 7z, maybe you could try to sound less... rash. Clearly you aren't offending anyone, but you being too critic is also unsettling to some it seems. It's not what you are saying, maybe just the way you say? Idk, I personally find nothing wrong with your posts.

This board is for civil conversation and discussion, let's all be friends and SMILE!

Sanokal
16th August 2016, 07:30 PM
KingJinzo, pls, don't act so childish. Look, I know you and most of us, including 7z, like the show. But that's exactly why 7z is so critic with it. He want's it to be the best it can be in his view and have created his own expectations about it just like everyone else.

I, for one, don't completely agree with his opinion, but that's fine. If you can't discuss about the Arc-V anime on a YGO Forum, where would you? Don't we all have different opinions? You hate dub names while Sandal only uses them for example.

And 7z, maybe you could try to sound less... rash. Clearly you aren't offending anyone, but you being too critic is also unsettling to some it seems. It's not what you are saying, maybe just the way you say? Idk, I personally find nothing wrong with your posts.

This board is for civil conversation and discussion, let's all be friends and SMILE!

This guy. This guy has the right idea.

Was rather amused at "Sandal", hah-hah-hah...

KingJinzo
17th August 2016, 07:16 AM
Technically it is nothing wrong to be critical. But being too overcritical has its problems. It actually limits your way of enjoying things. Because you want the series to be good, you focus so much about "problems" that you oversee certain other aspects or to simply enjoy it.

You can either overanalyze the series to give proper judgment or turn your brain a bit off and take things as they are. With overanalyzing you find "problems" that nobody else has issues with, so you only limit your own enjoyment for the sake of your criticism. Of course, watching it blindly might take some of your appreciation.

I'm not trying to change 7z's way of watching ARC-V, but some of his "issues" don't mind most other people here. Either those are problems that are made bigger than they actually are, they are so insignificant that nobody else is bugged by them or his perception is different from many others. His opinion isn't wrong. But he might watch the series in the "wrong" way.

People watch the series because of the plot, of the characters, of the duels, of the cards or et cetera or some of those things combined. The viewers then focus on these aspects, which gives them different experiences.

7z appears to me the kind of person who focuses more on the plot and the setting than on the characters.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
17th August 2016, 08:35 AM
One of the big problems is that the series itself has consistently been lower quality than it was back in Standard. I'm not comparing it to a masterpiece; I'm comparing it to itself. Now Standard certainly had its share of flaws (slow start, Yuya vs. Eita was one of the worst duels in the entire franchise), but as a whole, we had an increasingly developed plot, a well balanced and well utilized cast, and entertaining duels. If only in the context of a children's trading card commercial, sure, ARC-V's flaws may not be too evident, but if you just look back on the series, you can see where it lost its way.

For Yugioh specifically, my main focus is on characters and duels. My biggest complaint about the series is that it can't handle its characters well. Yuya has become egao Jesus, Yuzu has become a damsel in distress, Gongenzaka has been reduced to a jobber, Reiji, the main freaking rival, has fewer duels than Kaito, and his plans involve doing nothing, Yuto is still dead, Yugo has had no meaningful impact, Yuri has had only a singular duel against fodder, and Shun... well, let's see what happens. I don't expect much from next episode, but we will find out. Oh, and the main villain has done nothing as well.

Contrast to when Yuya had actual internal struggle, Yuzu was proactive in the plot as well as competent, Gongenzaka was competent, Reiji was at least involved, etc. etc. you get the idea. Then there's the issue with legacy characters-- none of them were handled well. Jack and Crow were okay at best. Asuka is a walking pair of tits, Edo is pathetic, and Kaito, who for the record, is my favorite character in the entire franchise, is basically Cipher Projecting screentime from other characters, and not even having a decent character portrayal. And just look how lame his dueling is compared to his Zexal incarnation. When Neo Photon came out, shit got intense. When Neo Cipher comes out... it's basically Kaito being bored of the duel and wanting to finish his opponent off.

Speaking of duels, when was the last time we had a decent two-parter? Jack vs. Yuya? Everything lately seems to be either an outright faceroll or "X is pushed into a corner by Y but then OTKs!" Where's the back-and-forth intensity and emotional gravity of something like Shun vs. Sora or Yuya vs. Reiji?

And going back to characters-- the main issue is that the cast is too bloated for its own good. It can't balance the 4 Yus, the 4 Ruris, the Lancers, the legacy characters, the denizens of each dimension, and the villains and do justice for them. The perspective is far too centered on Yuya, and it doesn't give room to explore the others properly. And yes, Yuya is the main character, but remember that between episode 7 and twentysomething, Yuzu was actually more involved in the plot than he was.

As it stand right now, nothing in ARC-V is good anymore. The best you can hope for are some cool shots (like Cipher and Neo Cipher doing ballet in the sky) or funnies (like Shun's shunpo in the preview versus Ruri), but even then, that's style, not substance.

Bloodclown
17th August 2016, 03:03 PM
Honestly this is not really filler. Like what has been said above they've infiltrated the enemies main base of operation having no goons/pawns would just be foolish on the shows part.

On a different note this "Battle Beast" uses Gladiator Beast, my favorite archetype until D/D/D, so I am really hoping he has an actual duel where he reveals one or two decent "new" support cards for the archetype.

Sanokal
17th August 2016, 06:31 PM
Honestly this is not really filler. Like what has been said above they've infiltrated the enemies main base of operation having no goons/pawns would just be foolish on the shows part.

On a different note this "Battle Beast" uses Gladiator Beast, my favorite archetype until D/D/D, so I am really hoping he has an actual duel where he reveals one or two decent "new" support cards for the archetype.

Hopefully he has Julia levels of support. He's likely going to be similar to the LID trio; mostly old cards and some new.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
17th August 2016, 06:58 PM

If he was not filler, he would have been introduced some time ago, and have meaningful plot relevance. If you replaced him with some Obelisk Force mooks, nothing would change.

Baroque
17th August 2016, 08:16 PM
If he was not filler, he would have been introduced some time ago, and have meaningful plot relevance. If you replaced him with some Obelisk Force mooks, nothing would change.
A character doesn't need to have been foreshadowed weeks in advance to have some relevance, y'know. The character itself might not appear much past this point, but he does serve a purpose: establishes Academia as a continued threat -- by this point, Obelisk Force mooks have been reduced to just that, mooks, so a new face like him with an unknown force serves as a credible threat -- and serves as an actual obstacle in the face of the gang's progress (both because it should be expected that running into the enemy stronghold isn't going to be easy, and because other plotlines do need time to resolve if we want the characters wrapped up in them to be present for the Main Event, the conflict VS the Professor).

Besides, if it was just 'some Obelisk Force mooks' harrassing them again, it'd reflect poorly on the heroes if they were having trouble against them by this point and poorly on the villains if their home turf was just going to be defended by cannon fodder and few others.

Sanokal
17th August 2016, 09:09 PM
There's also the fact that this nutcase is just as much a danger to his allies as he is to his enemies; so it makes sense that he hasn't appeared yet (though I realise that this isn't what you're getting at).

KingKaash
18th August 2016, 01:06 AM
Are we talking about this "more then 3000 ATK" and possible Chainsaw Dragon Frightfur mentioned in Crow VS Yuya?
Pics:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cp_z3AbXEAAQp01.jpg https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cp_z6DxWgAEZCJJ.jpg

That Chainsaw Dragon part came from a source that predicted RR Satelite Cannon Falcon, so it seems possible. Even more after Frightfur Haken Kraken (Gotta love that name). This stuff better be in Fusion Enforcers.

Thank you so much for finding that. I was like "people probably don't even know what the hell I'm talking about." Yes this is exactly what I'm talking about. I just can't imagine this ultimate beast being brought out by a goody little two-shoe Sora. It must be sadistic Sora!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/FUhnZUfoJGI/hqdefault.jpg

I actually have no problem with what 7z is saying. Sure he can be overly critical on a lot of things and has much higher expectations than any of us, but he has some legit valid points. I wish Reiji dueled more. I wish Yuri dueled more. I wish we got full episodes dedicated to flashbacks of Ruri and Rin. But not everything will be perfect to meet all of our expectations. Like you said, when we dial down the analysis, it becomes more enjoyable. That's how I approach it.

Also I started following the cards and irl dueling later than when I started watching the show. So was Gladiator Beasts the first legit functioning archetype and deck? Idk why I feel like my memory says it was the first. If so then this Battle Beast will hopefully bring some love to one of the originals if he also uses Gladiator Beast. I can follow it more closely myself this time

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
18th August 2016, 01:47 AM
A character doesn't need to have been foreshadowed weeks in advance to have some relevance, y'know. The character itself might not appear much past this point, but he does serve a purpose: establishes Academia as a continued threat --
True, but on the other hand, it's not like he's going to have relevance to the ARC Area Project or Revival Zero in any case. I said before, he's a one-off miniboss. I suppose theoretically they could bring him back, but then it would be pointless, just like Kachidoki.

by this point, Obelisk Force mooks have been reduced to just that, mooks, so a new face like him with an unknown force serves as a credible threat -- and serves as an actual obstacle in the face of the gang's progress (both because it should be expected that running into the enemy stronghold isn't going to be easy, and because other plotlines do need time to resolve if we want the characters wrapped up in them to be present for the Main Event, the conflict VS the Professor).

Besides, if it was just 'some Obelisk Force mooks' harrassing them again, it'd reflect poorly on the heroes if they were having trouble against them by this point and poorly on the villains if their home turf was just going to be defended by cannon fodder and few others. I mean, technically speaking, the Obelisk Force are supposed to be something like elite shock troopers, but the show really hasn't done a good job of establishing their credibility.

Sanokal
18th August 2016, 02:02 AM
Reiji not dueling a lot seems to be due in part to his seiyuus busy schedule - which is bollocks in its own right.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
18th August 2016, 02:25 AM
Reiji not dueling a lot seems to be due in part to his seiyuus busy schedule - which is bollocks in its own right.

It's pretty fucking pathetic that Thomas Arclight had more duels than Reiji.

Sanokal
18th August 2016, 03:47 AM
It's pretty fucking pathetic that Thomas Arclight had more duels than Reiji.

Mmm. He should get two or three more duels though. Three at the absolute most, and no more than that. He generally gets ine every arc (25 episodes), so hopefully we'll see one from him soon given that you'd think that the series perspective would switch to him after the Battle Beast mini-boss.

Baroque
18th August 2016, 06:35 AM
True, but on the other hand, it's not like he's going to have relevance to the ARC Area Project or Revival Zero in any case. I said before, he's a one-off miniboss. I suppose theoretically they could bring him back, but then it would be pointless, just like Kachidoki.
Honestly, he doesn't need to have relevance to the ARC Area Project or Revival Zero; to expect everyone the gang encounters in Academyland to be directly tied into that is honestly -- to me at least -- unrealistic. Academia, while its leaders have those goals central to their agendas, is still a facility where folks are trained/taught to duel and there's bound to be people there that're doing just that -- either on the teaching side (like Sanders) or the learning side (like Battle Beast and his classmates). Bringing in folks like the aforementioned teacher and student(s) serves to reemphasize that while still being a problem for the gang.

Battle Beast might be a one-off character, but being one-off doesn't make him pointless; he not only (as said) establishes Academia as a continued threat (by being, well, a threat that we haven't seen drubbed before en masse) and serves as a roadblock to allow other plotlines time to resolve, but also helps to underline certain key points about Academia itself (it's a school, there's people learning there, it promotes a certain degree of ruthlessness, they still have some strong duelists waiting in the wings and here's the proof, plus it's not just stuffed to bursting with Obelisk Force goons, among other things). You could technically just throw more Obelisk Force flunkies at the gang to serve as a roadblock, but by this point that loaf's gone stale -- a character like Battle Beast, while on his own lacking substance, adds to the overall situation in a way that more Obelisk Force duels just wouldn't be able to anymore. That's why I'm inclined to say he's an important character even though he's likely a one-shot.

I mean, technically speaking, the Obelisk Force are supposed to be something like elite shock troopers, but the show really hasn't done a good job of establishing their credibility.
Honestly, they did (in their first appearance and through the Resistance's backstory) establish their credibility; it's just that the gang has progressed past the point where those elite shock troopers are a problem (think of it as a D&D game -- sure, a gang of Obelisk Force troops is CR5 or something, but when the adventuring party is comprised of Level 15-ish characters a CR5 encounter is a speed bump, not an obstacle). They're dangerous, yes, but not to the main characters anymore. So, one needs to introduce something new to challenge them if there's to be a challenge -- which means either introducing new characters (either on a permanent basis like Aster and the Tylers, or on a one-off basis like this Battle Beast), or rehashing old ones (such as when they brought back that one guy from the first tourney arc, or when Reiji ended up re-dueling Yuya but brought out Kali Yuga and friends instead of just rehashing the strats from their first duel).