PDA

View Full Version : ARC-V Episode 120 Discussion - The Gladiator Is A Beast!

KingJinzo
28th August 2016, 10:35 AM
This episodes starts with Jacob and Emma being carded off-screen, reminding us how unimportant they are. I'm sure none of us will miss any of the five fodder characters who were used as sacrificial lambs for the character Battle Beast to establish his character. Yuya and Gongenzaka are trying to look for Crow and Super Great Hyper Ultra Strong Duelist Sawatari who are dueling Battle Beast. Crow is aware of how weak Sawatari is and attacks him directly and breaks his Duel Disk to spare him from his miserable fate. Crow tries to take Battle Beast on by himself, but he isn't sure if he can handle him. And yes, Battle Beast can talk.

Crow isn't able to take BB out and loses the duel. Yuya and Gongenzaka reach the battlefield, only to witness Crow being carded by BB. At least, Crow looks cool on his artwork. Sawatari gets the Crow card before BB can stomp on it, being thankful and sad for Crow's sacrifice. Crow didn't do much in this arc, but the characters are remembering of their scenes from the previous arc. Even though Sanders is angry about how he lost five of his students, he just deals with it and has to rely on BB.

By the way, Battle Beast is now officially credited as BB (still Battle Beast in the ending), so I'll call him BB for the rest of the series. Yuya and the manly Gongenzaka take on BB while Sawatari is unable to join the duel because of his broken Duel Disk. Sanders uses the opportunity to educate his students. BB starts this duel with summoning Laquari and setting three cards. The jungle guy starts with so many backrows? Yuya uses a 6-8 Scale, Pendulum Summoning Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon, attacking Laquari with it. However, BB protects Laquari with his Continuous Trap Card, but takes double damage because of his card, but he replaces Laquari with Secutor. Yuya (did I mentioned that his scales are horrible?) ends his turn without setting a card.

Gongenzaka gets his turn, sets his 1-8 Scale and Pendulum Summons three monsters, something that is more impressive to the Academia students than Yuya summoning a Level 7 monster. Speaking of 7, Gongenzaka immediately Synchro Summons into the Level 7 Superheavy Samurai Ninja Shinobiashi (2800 DEF). Shinobiashi can attack directly by halving its DEF, but BB prevents him from doing so. BB starts spamming monsters, destroys all of Yuya and Gongenzaka's monsters and inflicts 500 damage to each of them. And that all happens during Gongenzaka's turn. Fortunately, Shinobiashi is able to revive itself in the End Phase.

But now we have BB's turn. He Contacts Fusion his three remaining monsters and summons Andabattae which Special Summons Gyzarus from the Extra Deck. What?! Instead of -2 for one monsters, he gets only a -1 for two monsters. Gyzarus takes two of Yuya and Gongenzaka's cards and they take 500 damage, leaving them unprotected. Since Gongenzaka can't use Action Cards, Yuya baits BB to attack him. Unfortunately, BB is too "smart" to fall for it, he attacks Yuya anyway and grabs the Action Card before Yuya can get it. Meanwhile, Sawatari realizes that Gongenzaka's duel style can't handle Spell Cards in the Graveyard. So didn't he notice how he screwed up the man in their Tag Duel against the Tyler Sisters?

BB returns Gyzarus back to his Extra Deck to power up his Andabattae from 1000 ATK to 3400 ATK, which can defeat either Yuya or Gongenzaka easily. He decides for Yuya and he blocks Yuya's path of getting Action Cards by Flash Stepping. Unexpectedly, and I really mean it, Gongenzaka uses an Action Card to summon a Token to protect Yuya, but taking 2400 Battle Damage in turn. Yuya and Sawatari are stunned how Gongenzaka sacrificed his style to protect Yuya. Andabattae returns to the Extra Deck, but BB Special Summons two Gladiator Beasts to take out two of cards of his opponents; Gongenzaka's Token remains protected, but Yuya's last Scale is destroyed, reducing his Life Points from 600 to 100. Then BB re-summons Gyzarus to destroy Gongenzaka's two Scales, inflicting 1000 damage and defeating the manly man. He stands like a man and he falls like one. Shortly before BB is going to card the man, the other manly character drives with his Wheel of Fortune into the sky and grabs everyones attention. That's right. The former King of Riding Duels is back.

Apparently, a good chunk of the budget from the previous four episodes went into this episode's art and animation. A good duel with good animation. Unfortunately, Yuya's game sucks in this episode. As "fillerish" BB is, he is actually an entertaining villain. He's a beast, but he plays smart. He is dangerous and very effective against the Lancers and he can take out several people at once. Carding Tsukikage and Crow and almost Gongenzaka makes him definitvely memorable. At least, he's more memorable than almost half of the Seven Stars Assassin.

BB is definitively a better wild-man-character than Taizan from GX who was a Tarzan rip-off. He's also shows the glory of the Gladiator Beast, the archetype whose name was in the main booster series, despite they never appeared in GX (and Chaos Neos was the cover card because he wasn't included in Tactical Evolution). Remember 2007? (I don't.)

Also, this episode is probably the manliest episode of this series. We have four characters who have their very manly moments. BB, Crow, Gongenzaka and Jack.

And now for the preview:

-Jack is upset about Crow being carded. Why? You only interacted with him once in this series. Are your 5D's senses tiggling or something?
-Jack does the same as Yugo and drives on the battlefield while dueling a non-riding opponent.
-Sanders still talks about BB.
-Yuya stands there and stares at Jack Atlas while doing nothing.
-ABUSORYUTO PAWAA FUREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIMU!!!!"

J. D. Guy
28th August 2016, 11:16 AM
Long story short:

Rest in Cardboard, Crow, and thanks for all the new Synchros for your Deck. :(

Gong was awesome, and Swan Song Duel was very obviously Swan-Songy for him.

Battle Beast lives up to his name spectacularly so, and his Traps and new Fusion were awesome, as was his playstyle.

Sylvio shows tact for the first time in a good while. (!)

Enter Jack Atlas.

Also, Jack knows that Crow is also a resident of Synchro Land, so he's mad that a citizen of his hometown was carded, even if they didn't interact directly more than once.

yshipster
28th August 2016, 12:27 PM
Sanders is seen in the jungle in the preview btw, so he reveals himself to the Lancers and might explain who BB is.

Also Sawatari became a much more likable character this episode. He cries about Crow, who rescued him and sacrificed himself, and cares for his comrades more than for his dueling.

The new Superheavy Samurai is pretty good actually, given that you can summon him with any level 3 + Superheavy Samurai Trumpeter, if you use the level 5 Synchro. Although the fact, that the real card (https://ygorganization.com/rate-superheavy-samurai-ninja-shinobiashi/) need's to be destroyed by card effects to be re-summoned is a bit waisted against Monarchs, D/Ds and Blue-Eyes in the current meta. But still, SHS really got great support in the last months.

Jack appereance felt a bit random though, somehow like "Yuya is bad, we need another strong duelist, but, oh wait, Reiji is busy right now". I mean, Yuya defeats Jack, but Jack needs to save Yuya because he is stronger? Can we ever take it serious again, that Yuya is the current Duel King?

BBs dueling however was flawless. Since the Booster is named Raging tempest, I have actual hopes that his new cards are printed here (or in the Fusion Booster SP, alongside some Gladiator Beast reprints).

LolsterXD97
28th August 2016, 01:01 PM
Long story short:

Rest in Cardboard, Crow, and thanks for all the new Synchros for your Deck. :(

Gong was awesome, and Swan Song Duel was very obviously Swan-Songy for him.

Battle Beast lives up to his name spectacularly so, and his Traps and new Fusion were awesome, as was his playstyle.

Sylvio shows tact for the first time in a good while. (!)

Enter Jack Atlas.

Also, Jack knows that Crow is also a resident of Synchro Land, so he's mad that a citizen of his hometown was carded, even if they didn't interact directly more than once.

He is pissed because Crow's children specifucally sent him to take care of Crow.

J. D. Guy
28th August 2016, 01:33 PM
He is pissed because Crow's children specifucally sent him to take care of Crow.

Either way, Jack's indignation at Crow being a card makes sense.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
28th August 2016, 02:10 PM
Rather pathetic that Crow didn't even get a duel, but I guess they only have so much time. Also, why isn't attacking duel disks a thing used more often? Yuya's plays sucked this episode. At least Gon-chan got some spotlight, even though he maintains jobber status. BB had some good plays, so overall a better duel than what we've seen for a while.

So, the plot armor for legacy characters is off, I expect Kaito's dying next. I think we're going to have a Zexal-esque massacre and the following characters will die over the course of the next 25 episodes, in no particular order:

Shun
Sawatari
Gongenzaka
Kaito
Edo
Jack
Asuka
Sora
Gloria
Grace
Allen
Sayaka

Baconator
28th August 2016, 02:47 PM
Rather pathetic that Crow didn't even get a duel, but I guess they only have so much time. Also, why isn't attacking duel disks a thing used more often? Yuya's plays sucked this episode. At least Gon-chan got some spotlight, even though he maintains jobber status. BB had some good plays, so overall a better duel than what we've seen for a while.

So, the plot armor for legacy characters is off, I expect Kaito's dying next. I think we're going to have a Zexal-esque massacre and the following characters will die over the course of the next 25 episodes, in no particular order:

Shun
Sawatari
Gongenzaka
Kaito
Edo
Jack
Asuka
Sora
Gloria
Grace
Allen
Sayaka

And there's still only one Zexal legacy character. Vector massacre? I would love that so much.

Charly Ruri Raptors
28th August 2016, 03:00 PM
Anyone else thinks Yuya is gonna summon the cover card from Raging Tempest in 122?

KingJinzo
28th August 2016, 03:00 PM
Crow got plenty of screentime in City, so I don't mind much that he's out (and people won't complain of him stealing screentime).

Gongenzaka needs at least one win. He only won one on-screen duel after becoming a Lancer, and we don't know how serious Dennis was. Since the man is saved, he must have a purpose.

Sawatari serves as a jobber and comic relief and there will be the time where he'll lose to Yuri.

The question is what will happen to BB after he loses. Does anyone consider carding the winner?

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
28th August 2016, 03:56 PM
Crow got plenty of screentime in City, so I don't mind much that he's out (and people won't complain of him stealing screentime).

Gongenzaka needs at least one win. He only won one on-screen duel after becoming a Lancer, and we don't know how serious Dennis was. Since the man is saved, he must have a purpose.

Sawatari serves as a jobber and comic relief and there will be the time where he'll lose to Yuri.

The question is what will happen to BB after he loses. Does anyone consider carding the winner?
They'd have to use his own Duel Disk. Sawatari might.

KingJinzo
28th August 2016, 04:18 PM
They'd have to use his own Duel Disk. Sawatari might.

Well, the biggest thinkable plot twist that could happen is that BB loses, but he cards Jack despite Jack and Yuya being the winner. There is no established rule that says that you cannot card the winner.

yshipster
28th August 2016, 04:32 PM
Well, the biggest thinkable plot twist that could happen is that BB loses, but he cards Jack despite Jack and Yuya being the winner. There is no established rule that says that you cannot card the winner.

Didn't some of the Academia students in one of the last episodes say, that he/she can card someone if he refuses to duel? Though, if you can card someone without dueling, the whole purpuse of the card game in the anime would be obsolete. So I guess, you have to defeat any duelist before you can card him.

Prontoz
28th August 2016, 05:44 PM

I guess he will have one more major Duel before the series ends.

The episode was great btw, good suspense and fantastic animation. Gongenzaka was amazing in this one. A bit surprised to see Crow gets carded.

KingJinzo
28th August 2016, 05:49 PM
Speaking of plor twist, a funny one would be if BB just re-challenge Yuya and Jack immediately after his loss. The duel zombies from GX did that all the time.

ScionStorm
28th August 2016, 06:43 PM
Holy blackfeathers! They actually carded Crow! I'm so proud of this anime right now. It is now possible for this anime series to become my favorite Yu-Gi-Oh! series of all time.

yshipster
28th August 2016, 07:17 PM
Holy blackfeathers! They actually carded Crow! I'm so proud of this anime right now. It is now possible for this anime series to become my favorite Yu-Gi-Oh! series of all time.

Don't forget that ZeXal "killed" most of it's characters in the last season as well, only to revive them during the last episodes. The same thing will happen here as well. Only difference: We aren't glad that Arc-V characters get carded.

Johnny
28th August 2016, 07:39 PM
Only difference: We aren't glad that Arc-V characters get carded.
speak for yourself

KingJinzo
28th August 2016, 09:22 PM
Did anyone catch how BB refers the Contact Fusion as "Fusion Summon", despite the monsters are not Fusion Summoned? Looks like somebody made a mistake in the dialogue.

LolsterXD97
28th August 2016, 09:29 PM
Did anyone catch how BB refers the Contact Fusion as "Fusion Summon", despite the monsters are not Fusion Summoned? Looks like somebody made a mistake in the dialogue.

They did the same with the VWXYZ Fusions back in 106 IIRC.

KingJinzo
28th August 2016, 09:58 PM
They did the same with the VWXYZ Fusions back in 106 IIRC.

And unlike the VToZ, the Gladiator Beasts have the same summoning animation as the regular Fusion Monsters do.

Dyson Sphere
28th August 2016, 10:40 PM
that fusion is actually pretty good

Sanokal
29th August 2016, 12:18 AM
And unlike the VToZ, the Gladiator Beasts have the same summoning animation as the regular Fusion Monsters do.

That's because VtoZ is a special case.

- - - Updated - - -

speak for yourself

That's harsh. I'm personally rather hacked off.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest, the fact that it isn't a Fusion Summon in the first place is antiquated rubbish.

Swampertmaster
29th August 2016, 02:17 AM
I hope BB shows some more new gladiator beast cards in the next episode. Also anyone else wish he showed up earlier as well? I find him both entertaining and incredibly effective as a villain.

Sanokal
29th August 2016, 02:30 AM
I hope BB shows some more new gladiator beast cards in the next episode. Also anyone else wish he showed up earlier as well? I find him both entertaining and incredibly effective as a villain.

Agree entirely. He could have been very effective if he got let loose in Heartland as a cameo.

Volteccer
29th August 2016, 02:43 AM
Also anyone else wish he showed up earlier as well? I find him both entertaining and incredibly effective as a villain.

I would have settled for him being referred to in dialogue. "If necessary we'll root out the rest of the Resistance with The Beast, but hopefully it won't come to that. The Tyler Sister should be able to do the job." Just enough hints to know that he's one of the strongest duelists in Academia, but also one of the more destructive ones that they don't like letting out.

KingJinzo
29th August 2016, 04:54 AM
That's because VtoZ is a special case.

Yeah, but look at Neos. Contact Fusion had a different animation.

Sanokal
29th August 2016, 05:05 AM
Yeah, but look at Neos. Contact Fusion had a different animation.

And Neos had established lore.

yshipster
29th August 2016, 08:56 AM
So after I rewatched the subbed episode, I must say, Gongenzaka missplayed a lot. Still a great episode though...

Zarkiel
29th August 2016, 09:16 AM
I kind of hope we get some gladiator beast stuff. That new fusion monster is amazing.

Comun
29th August 2016, 04:06 PM
So after I rewatched the subbed episode, I must say, Gongenzaka missplayed a lot. Still a great episode though...

I know. He could have used Jade's P Effect to increase Battleball's level, then tune with Prepped Defense for Shutendoji. Shuten cleans BB's S/T zones and destroys Secutor by battle. Then Coral activates to let Shuten attack again directly (BB LP 2600-> 100) and Soulfire Suit lands the finishing blow.

Archsorcerer
29th August 2016, 04:57 PM
I kind of hope we get some gladiator beast stuff. That new fusion monster is amazing.

Fusion Enforcers. Excuse to reprint them.

yshipster
29th August 2016, 05:47 PM
I know. He could have used Jade's P Effect to increase Battleball's level, then tune with Prepped Defense for Shutendoji. Shuten cleans BB's S/T zones and destroys Secutor by battle. Then Coral activates to let Shuten attack again directly (BB LP 2600-> 100) and Soulfire Suit lands the finishing blow.

So I'm not the only one who saw exactly this. Well, plot armor strikes again, I guess.

kuchiki
30th August 2016, 06:15 AM
This episode had amazing quality compared to the past episodes I've watched albeit the duel was pretty lackluster on Yuya and Gongenzaka's end for avenging their fallen comrades. Seriously though Yuya set two scales, summoned odd-eyes and just ended his turn after a failed attack knowing his opponent set THREE back row if that was not an obvious trap. I'll forgive Gong because we get a new super heavy samurai so that's ok.

Battle beast takes out both Tsukikage AND Crow of all people makes me feel like the writers couldn't think of anything else to do with so many members in lancers but not enough antagonists because Dennis loses to Kite so he cards himself while Kachidochi I'm not even going to talk about since that episode was filler in a nutshell (dude literally walks away after his so called "revenge").

Next episode we get the return of the king Jack Atlas which I'm really excited for since that cliffhanger entrance got my 5D's nostalgia running again. Please if anything Jack better not get carded or else I'll be upset. Sanders joins the duel too so hopefully this tag duel will be better than the tyler sisters but knowing Yuya he'll do some Egao nonsense again to win...

Since Tsukikage and Crow is out could means any other members of the lancers could potentially be carded as well. I just hope its not some stupid off-screen duel because Kite of all people getting carded without a proper good duel would be a huge disappointment.

KingJinzo
30th August 2016, 02:15 PM
I guess it's easier to make Yuya and Gongenzaka look incompetent, but not Crow.

yshipster
30th August 2016, 02:25 PM
I guess it's easier to make Yuya and Gongenzaka look imcompetent, but not Crow.

Probably yes. Even when he got defeated by Evil Yuya his Dueling actually looked better than Yuyas.

KingJinzo
30th August 2016, 08:00 PM
Probably yes. Even when he got defeated by Evil Yuya his Dueling actually looked better than Yuyas.

Well, Yuya was in a situation where he couldn't possibly not not win against Crow. Crow was just prolonging the end.

But with BB, it's difficult to write a duel where BB could realistically overwhelm Crow, whose set of skills and cards are on a high level. Especially with BB taking the 2000 penalty. Crow is pretty much one of the top 5 Lancers if we count Jack and Kaito (yes, I rank Crow above Edo and Kurosaki). Making Crow look incompetent doesn't work, especially with his deck. It works with Yuya, Gongenzaka (poor man), Sawatari and Tsukikage, but not with Crow. Even if he does spam Raikiri so much, Raikiri is a perfect counter against BB's Trap Cards.

And the synopsis of next episodes already tells us that BB is going to be dominated by Jack and Yuya's teamwork and Sanders has to go in. Not even BB can handle both, Jack and an actual motivated Yuya, at once. BB defeating Crow doesn't look right to me. BB's strategy already shows how good he is against dueling "noobs", but it would've been more effective to have Yuri defeating Crow to hype him up. Even if Yuri cards Sawatari, it's not a big accomplishment. If Yuri would defeat someone like Jack, Edo or Kaito, that would be right. I can imagine Yuri dueling all three at once, but the problem with 3-on-1 duels in this series is that the single duelist just defeats them in one turn, so it would be better if he would take on each of them one after another, similar like Goodwin (except Goodwin didn't defeat anyone and he cheated).

Btw, I wished episode 119 had a better animation director. Maybe we could have got something like this:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EWZOL8CLC1w/V8GEN-qxmYI/AAAAAAAAg9E/Lmrun0wcrAIvLGnIWjE9qsO4MC4amty6QCJoC/w640-h400-p-k/Drawing%2B%2528Rin%2B%2526%2BRuri%2529%2B-%2B1
What a beautiful yet creepy face. Just cover either one of her eyes and look at her pretty face.

KingKaash
31st August 2016, 01:08 AM
Superb episode! Artwork was great. Sawatari became less hated because he actually showed concern for Crow. And Crow what happened? I agree with you all that this was not the way to send out Crow. An off-screen duel where in actuality Crow and Blackwings are better than BB. But BB shattering his shoulders and then carding him was intense.

I've noticed now that the signal for Yuya sucking and losing the duel is when his Pendulum sets are off. When he's set his Scales against Reiji the second time, Jack the first time and against Barrett, they were not his usual plot armor sets of greatness. I guess that employs a sense of reality that even the protagonist doesn't always get good hands. Basically though what I'm trying to say is he may lose this.

BB is truly a beast. By carding Tsukikage and Crow and nearly carding the man Gong, he's done more than Edo Phoenix who was the Commander-In-Chief of the Academia forces. I know that the Tyler Sisters supposedly took out an entire faction of duelist in the Xyz Dimension raid but it was off-screen. On-screen, they didn't even get to card Allen and Sayaka. Barrett was OP and yet he still didn't feel strong. Dennis could get some love as well but he was more of a spy rather than causing actual harm. When he tried against Shun, he failed. Aside from Yuri, BB is the most powerful original soldier they used to this point. Also I never knew that Gladiator Beast were this good because I never really followed them when they came out way back then. BB's set up was strong and his plays kept going and going. It was enjoyable to watch him blow up Gong and Yuya's field. Also how about Gong getting to headline with Yuya. You the man Gong!

Now step aside and let the Duel King descend upon this Battle Beast! Yuya looks lost in the next episode preview and it's kinda not shocking considering he only has 100 Life Points left. I think the outcome will be that BB, Sanders, and Jack all lose while Yuya somehow survives of course. That new dragon (if used in the next episodes) may be some kind of field-nuke like Gandora

Destiny91
31st August 2016, 02:33 AM
Now step aside and let the Duel King descend upon this Battle Beast! Yuya looks lost in the next episode preview and it's kinda not shocking considering he only has 100 Life Points left. I think the outcome will be that BB, Sanders, and Jack all lose while Yuya somehow survives of course. That new dragon (if used in the next episodes) may be some kind of field-nuke like Gandora

Well, the new Dragon has fire wings (or at least they look like fire wings). Link below
https://66.media.tumblr.com/b96d4b8e1324b4872210690db6985253/tumblr_obj4yazT3A1vnrkbxo1_400.jpg

None of the main characters has a FIRE Dragon, and the one the resembles a FIRE Dragon the most is RDA.
So I hope we end up getting Odd-Eyes Daemon's Dragon.

Jakinus
31st August 2016, 06:19 AM
I was finally able to keep up with the show and HOLY **** THIS EPISODE. Not only it had such a good animation (seriously, when was the last time the show looked this good? I don't remember) but also BB was, well... A BEAST, Gongenzaka showed us why he is THE MAN (although he misplayed a little) and Jack pulls a Big Damn Heroes moment like no one's business.

But the best part for me was, without a doubt, how BB showcased the power of the Gladiator Beasts, as an ex-GB player that made me extremely happy. This episode would trigger PTSD in some of my friends that were in the recieving end of my GB back when they were broken. I want that fusion and Medallion with a boost that instead made my GBs into Towers, please.

KingJinzo
31st August 2016, 08:06 PM
Well, the new Dragon has fire wings (or at least they look like fire wings). Link below
https://66.media.tumblr.com/b96d4b8e1324b4872210690db6985253/tumblr_obj4yazT3A1vnrkbxo1_400.jpg

None of the main characters has a FIRE Dragon, and the one the resembles a FIRE Dragon the most is RDA.
So I hope we end up getting Odd-Eyes Daemon's Dragon.

While I doubt an actual combination between the two, taking inspiration from Red Daemon's is possible. There is only one problem. Yuya has only 100 LP left. If he (non-Flip) summons Tuning Magician, he loses. So he either uses a new Tuner Monster out of nowhere, he uses one of Jack's Tuners or he recovers some LP. I refuse to think of another Fusion Monster. And Xyz looks random to me.

I like the idea of an actual FIRE monster. Odd-Eyes attacks with flames, and Brave-Eyes... yeah, why aren't those two FIRE monsters? Okay, Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon has a sinister fire attack, but it could also be either EARTH or FIRE.

Honestly, the next episode doesn't seem to look good artistically, judging from the preview.

I hope we got more of those in the future: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/yugioh-arcv/images/5/5c/Sketch_of_Ruri_GilboNoh.jpghttp://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/yugioh-arcv/images/3/3c/Sketch_of_Rin_GilboNoh.jpg
Gil-Bo Noh, you are the only Korean we can rely on.