PDA

View Full Version : Recent Official Popularity Poll (DM-ARC-V)

KingJinzo
1st September 2016, 08:39 PM
I discovered a recent popularity poll that included characters from all five main series. I don't know the backround about it, but after some research I finally figured out who the characters placed from 8th to 13th are.

http://i.4cdn.org/a/1472752569894.jpg

1) Kaiba Seto
2) Muto Yugi
3) Yuki Judai
4) Tenjou Kaito
5) Atem
6) Fudo Yusei
7) Yami Yugi
8) Jack Atlas
9) Manjoume Jun
10) Kiryu Kyosuke
11) Jounouchi Katsuya
12) Tsukumo Yuma
13) Kurosaki Shun

Was it really necessary to treat Atem and Yami Yugi as two different characters? It's different with Yami Bakura and Thief King Bakura, since those two are two different characters. Although, if you view Yami Yugi as nothing more than an alter ego... ah, too complicated.

Damn you, Kaiba.

What are your thoughts about the poll?

Dread Kaiser
1st September 2016, 08:54 PM
I'm wondering how Kaito got that high, he was fine in Zexal pt1 but his other apperances was either too angsty or an gigantic jerkass sue.

Kaiba winning was no surprise, his popularity was already obvious from the anime, 2 of the 3 Filler arcs were HIS Villains and he got Shoehorned into season 5, not to mention of course Darkside of Dimensions.

and how the fuck did Yuma score higher than Shun?

KingJinzo
1st September 2016, 09:08 PM
Well, if we count Atem and Yami Yugi as a single characters, their votes might be higher than Kaiba's. Hell, we could even combine all three Yugis, so Yugi would be more popular than Kaiba.

Never die
2nd September 2016, 12:58 AM
I'm wondering how Kaito got that high, he was fine in Zexal pt1 but his other apperances was either too angsty or an gigantic jerkass sue.

Kaiba winning was no surprise, his popularity was already obvious from the anime, 2 of the 3 Filler arcs were HIS Villains and he got Shoehorned into season 5, not to mention of course Darkside of Dimensions.

and how the fuck did Yuma score higher than Shun?

Did Shun ever achieve super saiyan 1,2 or 3?NO?There you go.Kaito was the Kaiba of Zexal,has been in 2 series in a row so he is fresh in popularity unlike say Edo who has been absent for 8 years.Whats more unsettling is the fact that they treat Atem and Yami Yugi as different characters......

Also how did kiryu and manjoume got that high i wonder since it has been a while since they appeared.

King
2nd September 2016, 01:18 AM
Kaiba is my role model. Kiryu is that popular because Infernities are fucking awesome.

Destiny91
2nd September 2016, 01:20 AM
Kaito scoring more than Jack or Yusei is pretty unexpected.

Dread Kaiser
2nd September 2016, 02:23 AM
Did Shun ever achieve super saiyan 1,2 or 3?NO?There you go.Kaito was the Kaiba of Zexal,has been in 2 series in a row so he is fresh in popularity unlike say Edo who has been absent for 8 years.Whats more unsettling is the fact that they treat Atem and Yami Yugi as different characters......

Also how did kiryu and manjoume got that high i wonder since it has been a while since they appeared.

do not get me started on how Super saiyan 2 and 3 were the most retarded thing I have seen in YGO. not to mention how that makes Yuma a better character....

- - - Updated - - -

Kaiba is my role model. Kiryu is that popular because Infernities are fucking awesome.

more like because of his debut Episode.
for those that don't remember, it involves Ccapac apu basically traumatizing Yusei, and Awesome duel and lots of fucking manical laughter. and if YGO has taught me anything, its that characters with awesome laughs and rapefaces get popular quick

then Crashtown happened....but we ignore that

Sanokal
2nd September 2016, 04:52 AM
Zexal and Yuma are actually decently popular in Japan I believe. It even had better ratings than 5D's. They're odd, deal with it.
Kaito was more interesting than Yusei and Jack overall (the badass dragons and Kaiba parallels likely helping). Until they decided to waste him in season 2.
And why on earth would people treat them as the same? Yugi is specifically meant to be an average joe who matures, and Atem is the badass that everyone wants to be.

KingKaash
2nd September 2016, 05:38 AM
Kaiba is like Vegeta from DBZ. The hard, tough guy that men can relate to more. Goku and Yugi are nicer, softer guys that win all the time and get all the glory and most of us want the limelight to be balanced between the two mains instead of all of it going to the main protagonist.

That's precisely why Reiji is so badass. He just feels like he's on a higher, superior level to Yuya and that's a refreshing change for once

Sanokal
2nd September 2016, 06:35 AM
That's technically not new - Kite was always superior to Yuma (admittedly that ain't hard and Declan is a more obvious superior)

KingJinzo
2nd September 2016, 07:29 AM
And why on earth would people treat them as the same? Yugi is specifically meant to be an average joe who matures, and Atem is the badass that everyone wants to be.
Mostly because Yami Yugi is always referred to as Yugi in the Japanese version. Only a few people like Schah Dee don't. Even the Ishtars call him Yugi. Even promos and trailers call him Yugi Muto, so there is the confusion. Even though Atem is the ancient version of Yami Yugi, many people treat them as the same person. So it is plausible to think that Atem's voters and a good chunk of Yugi's voters are actually voting for Yami Yugi.

Sanokal
2nd September 2016, 07:40 AM
Mostly because Yami Yugi is always referred to as Yugi in the Japanese version. Only a few people like Schah Dee don't. Even the Ishtars call him Yugi. Even promos and trailers call him Yugi Muto, so there is the confusion. Even though Atem is the ancient version of Yami Yugi, many people treat them as the same person. So it is plausible to think that Atem's voters and a good chunk of Yugi's voters are actually voting for Yami Yugi.

Dammit, that's right, I forgot about that...and I kick myself for it.

Never die
2nd September 2016, 07:51 AM
do not get me started on how Super saiyan 2 and 3 were the most retarded thing I have seen in YGO. not to mention how that makes Yuma a better character....

- - - Updated - - -

more like because of his debut Episode.
for those that don't remember, it involves Ccapac apu basically traumatizing Yusei, and Awesome duel and lots of fucking manical laughter. and if YGO has taught me anything, its that characters with awesome laughs and rapefaces get popular quick

then Crashtown happened....but we ignore thatBecause it was never about the better character,this poll shows which characters are the most popular,if this was about who was a better character then yuma would not even be top 30 as he is the idotic hero troupe personified with a lack of character progresion similiar to BW Ash(yes i am talking about the black and white series version of Ash from pokemon).

As for Kalin while i like him as a character if thats because of those reasons then why not Yami Marik or Vector?And whats wrong about Crashtown?

pyrQ
2nd September 2016, 10:40 AM
As for Kalin while i like him as a character if thats because of those reasons then why not Yami Marik or Vector?

Because "HANDLESS COMBO"! Interesting poll, kinda expected that Kaiba is on top. Also, like Sanokal said, I think Zexal is more popular than 5D's in Japan, so I'm not that surprised for Kaito and Yuma being there.

Volteccer
2nd September 2016, 11:22 AM
And whats wrong about Crashtown?

Well, for one, it's a filler arc in a series not based on anything, and therefore doesn't need a filler arc. And everyone, including the new cards from this arc, was super dedicated to the whole old-west aesthetic. Plus, the highly illegal activities that some law enforcement should have known about, the weird quick-draw rules, and the final villain who was only threatening because he drew the perfect opening hand, every time.

KingJinzo
2nd September 2016, 12:21 PM
Well, for one, it's a filler arc in a series not based on anything, and therefore doesn't need a filler arc. And everyone, including the new cards from this arc, was super dedicated to the whole old-west aesthetic. Plus, the highly illegal activities that some law enforcement should have known about, the weird quick-draw rules, and the final villain who was only threatening because he drew the perfect opening hand, every time.
Not to mention that Kiryu was reduced from an awesome, crazy hard-laughing cool guy to an angsty, suicidal resenter dude.

Dyson Sphere
2nd September 2016, 02:33 PM
im surprised no Vector

Destiny91
2nd September 2016, 02:47 PM
im surprised no Vector

I think the problem with Vector is that he ended up becoming a good guy.
The cases of Yami Marik and Yami Bakura are different because they had split personalities and their evil selves ended up dead/sent to the shadow realm.
They lived and died as villians.
As a character vector is quite amazing. But as a villian, well...if they could make him die as a villian, he would have been the best.
But then again, since they are rating the "characters" here...yeah, Vector should have been at least in the top 5.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
2nd September 2016, 04:31 PM
I discovered a recent popularity poll that included characters from all five main series. I don't know the backround about it, but after some research I finally figured out who the characters placed from 8th to 13th are.

http://i.4cdn.org/a/1472752569894.jpg

1) Kaiba Seto
2) Muto Yugi
3) Yuki Judai
4) Tenjou Kaito
5) Atem
6) Fudo Yusei
7) Yami Yugi
8) Jack Atlas
9) Manjoume Jun
10) Kiryu Kyosuke
11) Jounouchi Katsuya
12) Tsukumo Yuma
13) Kurosaki Shun

Was it really necessary to treat Atem and Yami Yugi as two different characters? It's different with Yami Bakura and Thief King Bakura, since those two are two different characters. Although, if you view Yami Yugi as nothing more than an alter ego... ah, too complicated.

Damn you, Kaiba.

What are your thoughts about the poll?

The source is literally a random cafe.

NassX
2nd September 2016, 11:58 PM
My favourite character is Ryoga (Nasch). Jaden is the second.. Maybe because of their playstyle

LolsterXD97
3rd September 2016, 12:14 AM
Glad JACK ATLAS is in that list. It would have been an unforgivable sin not putting him in. And no love for female characters, Japan?

However I find very strange Atem and Dark Yugi being separated, I guess it is because the Millemium World Atem acted really differently from Dark Yugi.

Zreth
3rd September 2016, 02:22 AM
How did Kiryu get so high up? He's barely in 5Ds.......

Sanokal
3rd September 2016, 03:39 AM
How did Kiryu get so high up? He's barely in 5Ds.......

Already been explained. Ever heard of ensemble darkhorses?

Baconator
3rd September 2016, 05:39 AM
Glad JACK ATLAS is in that list. It would have been an unforgivable sin not putting him in. And no love for female characters, Japan?

However I find very strange Atem and Dark Yugi being separated, I guess it is because the Millemium World Atem acted really differently from Dark Yugi.

There are female characters in Yugioh?

And Dread, Yuma is basically Yugi done right imo, plus he's a protagonist which is already a huge boost in popularity.

Dread Kaiser
3rd September 2016, 06:00 AM

And Dread, Yuma is basically Yugi done right imo, plus he's a protagonist which is already a huge boost in popularity.

never thought I'd get to do this again, lets keep it small this time....

well imo, Yuma is an obnoxious dumbass who wins by throwing the same card at everything for 150 Episodes, then using magic to cheat more blatantly than normal for this series when that invariably fails while ignoring the other 49 cards in his extra? he should have taken cues from Yugi and let Astral possess him or something.

much like the rest of Zexal, he had potential but the writers fumbled HARD.

well atleast you aren't comparing him to Kamina and calling him the epitome of manliness like a certain other person.....

only real complaint with Yugi is that he didn't really have a chance to do much, but when he did....

Sanokal
3rd September 2016, 06:40 AM
Aka, the final duels with Pegasus, Marik, Bakura and Atem. Pretty good track record.

King
3rd September 2016, 06:43 AM

well imo, Yuma is an obnoxious dumbass who wins by throwing the same card at everything for 150 Episodes, then using magic to cheat more blatantly than normal for this series when that invariably fails while ignoring the other 49 cards in his extra? he should have taken cues from Yugi and let Astral possess him or something.

well atleast you aren't comparing him to Kamina and calling him the epitome of manliness like a certain other person.....

only real complaint with Yugi is that he didn't really have a chance to do much, but when he did....

The only character that is Manly at the fullest is Gongezaka, the rest is nothing more the fags.

Sanokal
3rd September 2016, 08:24 AM
The only character that is Manly at the fullest is Gongezaka, the rest is nothing more the fags.

Show some respect. This is 2016, we don't need bigotry like that.

ScionStorm
3rd September 2016, 08:46 AM

Cigarettes are not an appropriate description of this show's characters.

Zarkiel
3rd September 2016, 01:38 PM

there are no females in yugioh, only incredibly girly men.

Dread Kaiser
3rd September 2016, 03:18 PM

JACK. FUCKING. ATLAS. begs to differ
and Gauche to a considerably lesser extent

Baconator
3rd September 2016, 06:36 PM

My problem with Yugi is that he barely did anything, and then in the final duel it seemed like an asspull when he beat Yami. "I've learned from watching you, which somehow makes me STRONGER than you."

Yuma and Astral on the other hand had a relationship closer to Hikaru and Sai from Hikaru no Go, which is a much more realistic way to grow as a player than simply watching. After a while of listening to Astral explain his tactics and doing what he says, Yuma gets the jist of it and only needs Astral's help in tough situations. To me, the Zexal forms always represented Yuma becoming Astral's equal (can't overlay with monsters of different levels).

Sanokal
3rd September 2016, 06:42 PM
JACK. FUCKING. ATLAS. begs to differ
and Gauche to a considerably lesser extent

Do we add Alito to the list, or does he have too many points against him?

- - - Updated - - -

My problem with Yugi is that he barely did anything, and then in the final duel it seemed like an asspull when he beat Yami. "I've learned from watching you, which somehow makes me STRONGER than you."

Yuma and Astral on the other hand had a relationship closer to Hikaru and Sai from Hikaru no Go, which is a much more realistic way to grow as a player than simply watching. After a while of listening to Astral explain his tactics and doing what he says, Yuma gets the jist of it and only needs Astral's help in tough situations. To me, the Zexal forms always represented Yuma becoming Astral's equal (can't overlay with monsters of different levels).

Guess you missed my comment then.

Baconator
3rd September 2016, 08:11 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Guess you missed my comment then.

Vs Pegasus, Yugi didn't actually make any plays, he just set cards and normal summoned feral imp.

It's been a while since I watched DM, but looking at the wiki Yugi didn't do anything against Marik.

Bakura yeah, but his lack of duels prior to it make his growth seem far-fetched.

KingJinzo
3rd September 2016, 09:03 PM
Technically, Yami Yugi symbolized Yugi's confidence and strength. Yugi had the skills and the knowledge of games and he learned very fast, but his lack of confidence handicapped him.

In the manga, it was Yugi who played DDD with Otogi/Duke, not Yami Yugi, since Yugi was betting his Puzzle. Yugi had difficulty to play the new game, but in the end, he won. The situation is later emulated when he dueled Keith in the anime, where Yugi was gaining the upperhand after some turns. And it is implied that Yugi has become the same as his other self in the distant future.

Sanokal
3rd September 2016, 09:59 PM
Vs Pegasus, Yugi didn't actually make any plays, he just set cards and normal summoned feral imp.

It's been a while since I watched DM, but looking at the wiki Yugi didn't do anything against Marik.

Bakura yeah, but his lack of duels prior to it make his growth seem far-fetched.

He literally came up with the strategies to beat both of them. Mind Shuffle and destroying Marik as a monster were all him.

Dread Kaiser
3rd September 2016, 10:05 PM

heres the thing, what "Growth"?

I don't recall anything ever implying he was ever inferior to Yami Yugi. Yami was just more confident, but Yugi was NEVER unskilled, he was also just never in real control giving the appearance of always being in Yami Yugis Shadow. kinda like Mario and Luigi, Luigi isn't necessarily worse than mario, just not Front and center

and yes, Yugi did almost nothing VS Pegasus and Marik as far as the card game was concerned, he was the one that came up with the mind shuffle (IIRC, Yami was basically fucked before Yugi suggested that)

Dread Kaiser
3rd September 2016, 10:08 PM

what points against? I actually have no issue with him (*FUCKING GASP!?!?!*). my only issue with him was that his barian form looks stupid (like all of them really, save Vector and Durbe) and even then not as bad as the others (its mostly the complete lack of a face that gets to me, and Alit has an excuse of it looking like a mask)

Sanokal
3rd September 2016, 10:47 PM
I meant possibly too bishounen and the whole...thing with angel-Yuma. Then again that's going into murky territory and making me sound hypocritical.

Dread Kaiser
3rd September 2016, 11:09 PM
I meant possibly too bishounen and the whole...thing with angel-Yuma. Then again that's going into murky territory and making me sound hypocritical.

this is fucking YGO, name 5 recurring characters that were not Bishonen or Extremely manly

Sanokal
3rd September 2016, 11:36 PM
this is fucking YGO, name 5 recurring characters that were not Bishonen or Extremely manly

I assume that naming girls would be cheating then, hah-hah. And kids.

ScionStorm
3rd September 2016, 11:58 PM
I assume that naming girls would be cheating then, hah-hah. And kids.
Does Professor Crowler count?

Baconator
4th September 2016, 12:11 AM
heres the thing, what "Growth"?

I don't recall anything ever implying he was ever inferior to Yami Yugi. Yami was just more confident, but Yugi was NEVER unskilled, he was also just never in real control giving the appearance of always being in Yami Yugis Shadow. kinda like Mario and Luigi, Luigi isn't necessarily worse than mario, just not Front and center

and yes, Yugi did almost nothing VS Pegasus and Marik as far as the card game was concerned, he was the one that came up with the mind shuffle (IIRC, Yami was basically fucked before Yugi suggested that)

When basically everyone in the ceremonial duel said that Yami was always much stronger and were surprised that Yugi could hold his own now?

And yeah, I'm just talking about the card game.

Sanokal
4th September 2016, 12:11 AM
Does Professor Crowler count?

I'm not sure...He's no bish, but he IS ambiguous.
Bonaparte on the other hand...

buttercookies
8th September 2016, 08:38 AM
why only boys? where is the girls?

Sanokal
8th September 2016, 09:11 AM
why only boys? where is the girls?

Sadly Yu-Gi-Oh! doesn't have that many great female characters.

buttercookies
8th September 2016, 09:25 AM
Sadly Yu-Gi-Oh! doesn't have that many great female characters.

i think yugioh has plenty of cute girls, even though my version of cutest girl is mostly not the main heroine (ex: rio>kotori :p )
but top 13 and not even one girl is weird, and this is a series for boys

Sanokal
8th September 2016, 09:33 AM
i think yugioh has plenty of cute girls, even though my version of cutest girl is mostly not the main heroine (ex: rio>kotori :p )

Never said that they weren't, it's just rare for them to be excellent. So far the best are Akiza, Zuzu, and Celina, it's just a percentage thing with so many more male characters.

buttercookies
8th September 2016, 10:18 AM
Never said that they weren't, it's just rare for them to be excellent. So far the best are Akiza, Zuzu, and Celina, it's just a percentage thing with so many more male characters.

yeah but this is top 13, if this is top 3 then no girl is normal
i mean, all those girls and not even 1 manage to get to rank 13?

KingJinzo
8th September 2016, 10:35 AM

With a huge male cast, it's expected. Just look at the guys on the list. Of course, they are popular.

LolsterXD97
8th September 2016, 10:41 AM

Well, they are always reduced to benchwarmers at the end, so I understand their decision.

Dread Kaiser
8th September 2016, 01:08 PM

this isn't a beauty contest, being cute is hardly relevant
after that, its a shonen anime, I'd be amazed if any girls were in the top 15

also Everyone>Kotori
Kotori is, bar none, the single worst character in the franchise

Volteccer
8th September 2016, 05:41 PM

I was going to counter with "SHIVERU!" But at least Futoshi had the decency to stop showing up after the first quarter of Arc-V. Kotori "YUMA!"'d throughout the entirety of ZeXal. So, I agree.

KingJinzo
8th September 2016, 05:42 PM

also Everyone>Kotori
Kotori at least was cute and provided fanservice.

Kyuando is just a waste of time.

Baconator
8th September 2016, 10:12 PM

also Everyone>Kotori

If a character is going to be irrelevant to the dueling, just make them non-duelists. I wish they would understand that. Manga Anzu had the right idea.

Dread Kaiser
8th September 2016, 11:57 PM

she could provide fanservice while actually being useful, like Aki did, or provide it in the form of a duel monster like Dark/Gagaga Magician Girl
we did NOT need a fucking shower scene. this is YGO, if I want that, there are half a dozen cookie cutter fanservice animes coming out every season
we did NOT need YUMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! every time Yuma got his ass knocked down to 500ish life on turn 2 (read, near every damn episode)

What we needed, was a character, like Part 1 Aki minus the angsty backstory.
What we got was a broken record that provided almost nothing to the plot (she commandeered the Key ship once and helped Yuma get over depression twice............and thats about it.)

to contrast, Kyuando was actually a successful character. in that we were SUPPOSED to hate him from the start, fuck even in universe he was insufferable. while the Qualifier arc was mostly pointless, HE did EXACTLY what he was designed for, A hate sink.

fuck, in many ways, Kyuando was intentionally in 2 episodes, what Kotori was unintentionally the whole show.

if providing fanservice is the only selling point a lead (as much as that term is worth in Zexal) character, we have a problem

ScionStorm
9th September 2016, 12:35 AM

Kotori isn't a heroine. She's on heroine.

- - - Updated - - -

No mention for Mai and Asuka?

Dread Kaiser
9th September 2016, 12:36 AM

- - - Updated - - -

given where Rio ended up, she is most definately NOT a Heroine, main or otherwise

Kotori has it better off than any other female in Zexal though, atleast she has screentime, even if it is wasted

buttercookies
9th September 2016, 09:35 AM

also Everyone>Kotori
yes, imo kotori is the worst heroine with overloaded plot armor, despite her seemingly high quality artwork(sometimes over sexualized) that "YUMA......." thing is annoying
kotori will "YUMA......." you to death :p

I was going to counter with "SHIVERU!" But at least Futoshi had the decency to stop showing up after the first quarter of Arc-V. Kotori "YUMA!"'d throughout the entirety of ZeXal. So, I agree.
futoshi is funny, he make me laugh, i like him :D

who is kyuando?

KingJinzo
9th September 2016, 10:27 AM
who is kyuando?

This is Kyuando.
[img]http://66.media.tumblr.com/9d706737d7c0f39481e83aafcb5cf777/tumblr_nag0hw9pZF1qkgj66o2_1280.jpg[/img
He's never called by his first name.

ScionStorm
11th September 2016, 05:19 AM
This is Kyuando.
http://66.media.tumblr.com/9d706737d7c0f39481e83aafcb5cf777/tumblr_nag0hw9pZF1qkgj66o2_1280.jpg
He's never called by his first name.

1) fixed your link.

2) He has to be called with his first name. It's part of the pun. Kyuando, Eita = "Q and A"(ta). Question and Answer. Without his first name it's just "Q and".

KingJinzo
11th September 2016, 08:15 AM
1) fixed your link.

2) He has to be called with his first name. It's part of the pun. Kyuando, Eita = "Q and A"(ta). Question and Answer. Without his first name it's just "Q and".
Yet he is referred to by his last name. It's the same with Kurosaki, Kaiba, Goodwin, Misawa, Jounouchi, Ushio, Ishijima, Manjoume, O'Brien, Kiryu, Shingetsu, Fujiwara, etc. who are all rarely called by their first name if not at all. Nobody calls Kyuando by his first name, regardless of the pun, and full name basis doesn't count.

Sanokal
11th September 2016, 08:52 AM
And whether he is or not, what's your guys' point?

KingJinzo
11th September 2016, 09:25 AM
And whether he is or not, what's your guys' point?

First name basis and last name basis are tropes. In some culture, like Japan, it's a big difference whether you call someone by first name or last name.

Dread Kaiser
11th September 2016, 03:30 PM
First name basis and last name basis are tropes. In some culture, like Japan, it's a big difference whether you call someone by first name or last name.

its....still a pun. just because the characters almost never say it doesn't make the first name disappear, look at Bakura

KingJinzo
11th September 2016, 06:23 PM
its....still a pun. just because the characters almost never say it doesn't make the first name disappear, look at Bakura

Yeah, the majority of characters of fans still don't ever call him by his first name. And even if they do, the might actually mean Kaiser.

Remember the one time, Kaiba called him "Ryo/Ryou?" Wait, he did? Yes, he did. Well, 4Kids did make it disappear.

Dread Kaiser
11th September 2016, 07:08 PM
Yeah, the majority of characters of fans still don't ever call him by his first name. And even if they do, the might actually mean Kaiser.

Remember the one time, Kaiba called him "Ryo/Ryou?" Wait, he did? Yes, he did. Well, 4Kids did make it disappear.

I don't think ANYONE would ever mix up Bakura and Kaiser without some epic lack of context....
and this doesn't make his name, or the pun attached, disappear

Sanokal
11th September 2016, 07:13 PM
Dread's right. They introduce him as "Kyuando Eita", thereby introducing the pun, and thus after that refer to him by his last name.

KingJinzo
11th September 2016, 07:28 PM
I don't think ANYONE would ever mix up Bakura and Kaiser without some epic lack of context....
and this doesn't make his name, or the pun attached, disappear

My point is not that his first name disappears. Regardless of the pun, nobody calls him by his first name, like nobody calls Yugi by his last name.

Sanokal
11th September 2016, 07:43 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Alexis was underutilised. Mai was actually pretty good, below the three I mentioned, but not far off.

KingJinzo
11th September 2016, 08:53 PM
Mai was actually pretty good, below the three I mentioned, but not far off.

And then season 4 ruined her character arc by regressing her character.

Dread Kaiser
11th September 2016, 11:21 PM
My point is not that his first name disappears. Regardless of the pun, nobody calls him by his first name, like nobody calls Yugi by his last name.

Yugi is referred to by his full name pretty often actually

Yuuri
12th September 2016, 12:13 AM
How the actual (expletive) did Yuma even make it on there? Better question. WHY is he even on there?

I'm really surprised that Crow wasn't on the results, since everyone seems to love him. Honestly, I was expecting more ARC-V cast to be on the results, but the writers did a good job of ruining the main cast, so I guess this is understandable. At least there's Shun (surprisingly).

Another thing I'm surprised about is the fact that Kaiba was on the top of the poll. You'd think that it would be Yugi or Yami Yugi, but nope. The rich asshole actually has a fanbase.

Megamaw
12th September 2016, 12:26 AM
Why the hell is Jonouchi so low? Under Kiryu, Yusei, Judai, and a bunch of other mediocre characters? Really?

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
12th September 2016, 12:28 AM
How the actual (expletive) did Yuma even make it on there? Better question. WHY is he even on there?

I'm really surprised that Crow wasn't on the results, since everyone seems to love him. Honestly, I was expecting more ARC-V cast to be on the results, but the writers did a good job of ruining the main cast, so I guess this is understandable. At least there's Shun (surprisingly).

Another thing I'm surprised about is the fact that Kaiba was on the top of the poll. You'd think that it would be Yugi or Yami Yugi, but nope. The rich asshole actually has a fanbase.
One, Zexal has less hate in Japan compared to the west, and two, that this is a random cafe means that you don't have a really good sample size, so the results are questionable.

KingJinzo
12th September 2016, 04:37 AM
Yugi is referred to by his full name pretty often actually

Full Name Basis is still a completely different thing than last name basis.

Just look at Reiji and Yuya. They referred to each other by their full names for most until the finale of the City arc, showcasing how distant they were to each other. But now they go with first name basis, which indicates their mutual trust.

First name basis, last name basis and full name basis work are very different things. Kaiba is only referred to by his first name by his family, his employees and Ishizu, but almost nobody else doesn't. Kurosaki's first name basis only comes into play when he's referred to by Heartland characters, demonstrating his bond with his homeland people. Also, full name basis is always used to give a bigger effect than first name basis and last name basis. There is a huge difference to be called "Yugi Muto" than just "Muto". Who actually calls him just "Muto" anyway? Teachers? It's already weird that all protagonist are called by their first names in the first place.

Nico Smiley calls almost everyone by their last name when he's doing his commentary job, which is just a formal thing.