PDA

View Full Version : Z-ARC's character discussion

KingJinzo
20th December 2016, 12:27 AM
Zorc Necrophades was pretty much a personafication of evil who wanted to destroy the world for the sake of being evil. Darkness had even less personality and was a running force of nature with no actual motivation. Don Thousand was a bad guy. Z-One was an extremist who was trying to save the future and ran out of options and he was redeemed.

Z-ARC started out as normal duelist, but was corrupted by his environment. He could connect his heart with his monsters. They realized that they have enough humanity's behavior and wanted to annihilate them.

The question is: Will Z-ARC be a good final villain? I don't want him to end up as someone like Zorc, Darkness and Don Thousand who are not particularly interesting. Z-ARC should be as interesting as Z-One. And unlike Z-One who didn't out to be an "evil" future version of Yusei, Z-ARC is now basically an evil Yuya.

Episode 135 gave something interesting. Yuya was finally consumed by Z-ARC after achieving victory. If you think about it, Z-ARC became the violent champion after crushing any opponent. And he and his dragons are fighting against the world because they see them as the bad ones. I think that Z-ARC sees anyone as his opponent he has to defeat, and wrecking shit like Zorc is something that we can describe as "crushing your opponent". I think that his motivation of destroying the world is not for the sake of destruction itself, but more as for the sake of victory. This also fits to Yuri's mindset, who had no problem to give in to Z-ARC's dark influence. Of course, the mindset of being winning and solitary is messed up, but I guess that's the result of being corrupted by your own monsters and by humanity's "darkness".

Until the end of March, Z-ARC might end up being a good villain if his character gets developed.

Dread Kaiser
20th December 2016, 02:28 AM
Zorc Necrophades was pretty much a personafication of evil who wanted to destroy the world for the sake of being evil. Darkness had even less personality and was a running force of nature with no actual motivation. Don Thousand was a bad guy. Z-One was an extremist who was trying to save the future and ran out of options and he was redeemed.

Z-ARC started out as normal duelist, but was corrupted by his environment. He could connect his heart with his monsters. They realized that they have enough humanity's behavior and wanted to annihilate them.

The question is: Will Z-ARC be a good final villain? I don't want him to end up as someone like Zorc, Darkness and Don Thousand who are not particularly interesting. Z-ARC should be as interesting as Z-One. And unlike Z-One who didn't out to be an "evil" future version of Yusei, Z-ARC is now basically an evil Yuya.

Episode 135 gave something interesting. Yuya was finally consumed by Z-ARC after achieving victory. If you think about it, Z-ARC became the violent champion after crushing any opponent. And he and his dragons are fighting against the world because they see them as the bad ones. I think that Z-ARC sees anyone as his opponent he has to defeat, and wrecking shit like Zorc is something that we can describe as "crushing your opponent". I think that his motivation of destroying the world is not for the sake of destruction itself, but more as for the sake of victory. This also fits to Yuri's mindset, who had no problem to give in to Z-ARC's dark influence. Of course, the mindset of being winning and solitary is messed up, but I guess that's the result of being corrupted by your own monsters and by humanity's "darkness".

Until the end of March, Z-ARC might end up being a good villain if his character gets developed.

This is YGO, not exactly famous for fleshed out, interesting Final Antagonists. so going by the standards of the previous bosses, Zarc is already better than most of them for simply HAVING a backstory or motivation beyond: "grrr, I'm big and evil, got sealed 3/5/10 thousand years ago, am back now. card games."

Zorc and Darkness just.....were. Fuck Zorc had more in common with a Kaiju. Darkness acted as if he was just doing his job. (it's been a while, but I think he implied that he did the whole World of Darkness thing before)

Z-ONE, done good enough. how Evil he was is debatable.

DonK was extremely flat and uninteresting. Given he had more screentime than any other final boss, this is disappointing. though he gets points from me for his workaround plan for getting the Numeron Code. He is basically Zorc with a personality (albeit a bland one) and a much less convoluted backstory. Side note WHY THE FUCK DID YOU TAKE SO LONG TO REVEAL WHAT HE LOOKED LIKE, ONLY TO GIVE HIM A NEW BISHIONEN FORM? His backstory amounts to "I'm evil, got Sealed, Made the Barians evil (so you can redeem them now)"

still better character than Kotori (the Writers are the REAL Eldritch evil force in Zexal that Yuma and co went to defeat at the end)

E'rah was that, plus came out of fucking nowhere <---WORST FINAL ANTAGONIST IN THE SERIES. at least Zorc was foreshadowed. I don't even remember what she wanted, something about "I don't like Hope" Aporia did the Zetsubo thing already damnit.
Trageodia was done well, a backstory rooted in already existing lore (and tying Manga GX To Manga!DM Canon). He also got what he wanted, to become whole again. got beaten before he could do anything with it though
Manga!Rex was.....I need to reread Manga!5D's, I don't remember enough to form an opinion piece on him

Also several already had the "All the Worlds Evils" thing (Angra Mainyu is gonna be the ARC 6 Antagonist, calling it now, Cue Church on the Hill)

King
20th December 2016, 03:06 AM
Z-One is by far the best Yu-Gi-Oh! "Villain". I don't consider him a villain after all, he is just a antagonist.

Sanokal
20th December 2016, 04:48 AM
Manga Rex is excellent, but the Ultimate God is just another evil force. Zorc gets points for his darkness of the human heart talk and being intertwined with the story.

Dread Kaiser
20th December 2016, 05:13 AM
you know, I just realized something

What started Zarc off on his slope off the deep end was basically people saying "AWESOME, MORE OF THAT" whenever something Violent happened

...Now how did we React to Shun's Carpet bombing Sora?
or Odd-eyes Rebellions Debut?
Etc

Holy Fuck, WE mad Made Zarc. the 4th Wall clearly doesn't stop this

quick someone card Shun before he turns into some Rank 14 Abomination bird and Xyz gets split into 4 more Xyz Dimensions, 1 of them is too many already

EmperorShun
20th December 2016, 06:23 AM

What started Zarc off on his slope off the deep end was basically people saying "AWESOME, MORE OF THAT" whenever something Violent happened

Etc

quick someone card Shun before he turns into some Rank 14 Abomination bird and Xyz gets split into 4 more Xyz Dimensions, 1 of them is too many already

Muhahaha, they finally figured it out, I can now take over as the warchief of Arc-V!

Okay to be real, I am seeing where you go. We always said we want the real entertainment from Yuuya (i.e. Berserk), so we are the ones sitting in the stadium, screaming to Zarc for more. Maybe thats why people say Zarc is not evil, only humanity turned him into what he is today.

Sanokal
20th December 2016, 06:27 AM

Etc

Makes you appreciate the series in a different light now doesn't it? Poor Yuya...Declan tries to get him to focus to stay true, but he just had to pick the trigger...

yshipster
20th December 2016, 12:26 PM
Actually, the final enemies of each YuGiOh anime were always the most boring ones. I'ts too long ago, but Marik (the japanese one) ond Yami-Bakura were by far more interesting than Zorc (but wasn't Bakura the final antagonist anyways, since he released Zorc?).
In GX, Yubel and Nightshroud (The "Clear" guy) were by far better as well. They both had some sad backstory and they at least tried to involve the viewer emotionally.
5D's did actually better with Z-One than with Rex Goodwin, which might be why everyone likes 5D's: It had a good ending.
Which is probably why everyone hates ZeXal so much: ZeXal II was pretty shitty compared to the first season. Tron as an antagonist was definitely enjoyable, and the Arclight brothers were fine antagonists as well, since they all shared a nice backstory, which is something Don Thousand lacked.

And I'm afraid the same might happen to Zarc, since his backstory is pretty lackluster so far...

Sanokal
20th December 2016, 03:21 PM
Actually, the final enemies of each YuGiOh anime were always the most boring ones. I'ts too long ago, but Marik (the japanese one) ond Yami-Bakura were by far more interesting than Zorc (but wasn't Bakura the final antagonist anyways, since he released Zorc?).
In GX, Yubel and Nightshroud (The "Clear" guy) were by far better as well. They both had some sad backstory and they at least tried to involve the viewer emotionally.
5D's did actually better with Z-One than with Rex Goodwin, which might be why everyone likes 5D's: It had a good ending.
Which is probably why everyone hates ZeXal so much: ZeXal II was pretty shitty compared to the first season. Tron as an antagonist was definitely enjoyable, and the Arclight brothers were fine antagonists as well, since they all shared a nice backstory, which is something Don Thousand lacked.

And I'm afraid the same might happen to Zarc, since his backstory is pretty lackluster so far...

Bakura was Zorc.

Volteccer
20th December 2016, 04:01 PM
Bakura was Zorc.

And yet, when we saw Zorc in his true form, he displayed none of the personality he had as Bakura.

Sanokal
20th December 2016, 04:11 PM
And yet, when we saw Zorc in his true form, he displayed none of the personality he had as Bakura.

Amnesia does that to you.

yshipster
20th December 2016, 04:17 PM
Bakura was Zorc.

I thought he was only the servant Zorc or something. But it's been really long since i saw it, so I'm sorry...

But what I wanted to say is, that Bakura, as a servant of Zorc, had more and a better character than Zorc himself.

Volteccer
20th December 2016, 05:18 PM
I thought he was only the servant Zorc or something. But it's been really long since i saw it, so I'm sorry...

But what I wanted to say is, that Bakura, as a servant of Zorc, had more and a better character than Zorc himself.

There's three Bakuras:
1. Thief King Bakura. Just a normal guy that made a deal with Zorc for revenge for what happened to his family.
2. Yami Baukra. Actually an avatar of Zorc, he laid dormant in the Millenium Ring for a while, then awakened to setup his full return. Looks and acts like Thief King Bakura.
3. Ryou Bakura. Yami Bakura's host.

Yami Bakura was all about mind games, making people feel powerless as he slowly ground them down. Zorc was so powerful he didn't need subtlety.

Sanokal
20th December 2016, 08:23 PM

All good brother.
Tis a fair point, though I maintain that I enjoy the thematic connection Zorc presented that the Millennium Items also presented.

Yuuri
21st December 2016, 05:28 AM
One thing I noticed about Zarc was that he wasn't evil at all in the beginning. He dueled like he was enjoying it and such, but unfortunately, because the monsters were solid vision, one duelist actually get hurt. At that time, he actually expressed concern, whereas the audience requested more brute force. So, in a sense, society was the factor that pushed him over the age. That, and his ability to feel his monster's "emotions."

Already, I feel as though that's a pretty developed backstory. Though, I would like to see more of his history because he's an interesting "villain" and there could definitely be more than meets the eye to him. Then again, this is YGO we're talking about, so anyone could be more than what meets the eye.

yshipster
21st December 2016, 03:40 PM
One thing I noticed about Zarc was that he wasn't evil at all in the beginning. He dueled like he was enjoying it and such, but unfortunately, because the monsters were solid vision, one duelist actually get hurt. At that time, he actually expressed concern, whereas the audience requested more brute force. So, in a sense, society was the factor that pushed him over the age. That, and his ability to feel his monster's "emotions."

Already, I feel as though that's a pretty developed backstory. Though, I would like to see more of his history because he's an interesting "villain" and there could definitely be more than meets the eye to him. Then again, this is YGO we're talking about, so anyone could be more than what meets the eye.

Being a product of the environment isn't a good backstory for a villian. E.g. Shun is a product of his environment (post-war traumata, he is reckless 'cause he wants revenge, etc.), Sora is one (military education, isolation which led to a lack of empathy which is why he was so mean in the beginning), Yuya is one (entertainmant education, tries to follow and find his father, ...). And saying "Zarc is evil because the audience forced him" was something which the Synchro Arc of Arc-V already discussed a lot. So over all, I don't see a real character in Zarc, but something like Zorc (he IS a big black monster tbh), while Yuri as the Vector/Bakura guy is far more interesting.

That being said, Arc-V feels more and more like a big fan-service for those who liked the previous shows. And while this is sure a nice thing, I'm afraid they just copied the story of the Original Series and gave the characters names from GX!...

Dark-Shimy
21st December 2016, 07:44 PM
I like that the final villain does contain a backstory. Z-One had a good one. Zorc and Nightshroud were good final villains, but Z-One and Zarc, with backstories, makes better sense as to why they became what they became instead of just dark entities who just want to destroy the world. Zorc and Nightshroud's final goal was just because yes. Z-One's final goal was to save the future world because his timeline was destroyed. Zarc, as we know, wants to destroy everything just to be the best of all because the people in his original dimension enjoys what Zarc knew he was doing wrong but ended loving it.

yshipster
21st December 2016, 07:57 PM
Zarc, as we know, wants to destroy everything just to be the best of all because the people in his original dimension enjoys what Zarc knew he was doing wrong but ended loving it.

Can you explain me how this is a good reason to be evil? Because that sounds just like an excuse for not having a story to me...

Dark-Shimy
21st December 2016, 11:58 PM
Can you explain me how this is a good reason to be evil? Because that sounds just like an excuse for not having a story to me...

Madness. Probably we'll know more of Zarc soon.

Will there be a Gongenzaka and Jack vs Zarc? Because Sora (Fusion user) and Edo (GX character), and Kurosaki (Xyz user) and Kaito (ZEXAL character) will duel Zarc.

Comun
22nd December 2016, 01:35 PM
I'm kinda with yshipster on this one.

Z-Arc has potential, but I'll be completely unsatisfied if that's all the backstory he's getting. His backstory does have some very nice ideas but it feels plastic and lacking, specially because it was not told from his own perspective. I can't feel the soul of his character if I don't hear it from Z-Arc himself.

KingKaash
23rd December 2016, 08:02 PM
I think it's interesting that they refer to him and his cards as Supreme King. And no I'm not writing this because of my fandom for Haou Judai. We already know for sure that Zarc likes victory and winning and the ending of Episode 135 confirmed that. So maybe Zarc wants to be the all-powerful ruler of the United Dimension. A conqueror. A Supreme King. And he wants to do it in a violent way that his Dragons demand.

As far as this concept being interesting, I can live with it. If he brutally crushes his opponents in his conquest to become King I think that's interesting. Not super evil but interesting.