PDA

View Full Version : [The Winged Dragon of Ra - Sphere Mode] - Can you get rid of it by tribute summon?

servantofRA
8th April 2017, 06:54 AM
The other day I was dueling a friend with a Egyptian Gods based deck and he used The Winged Dragon of Ra - Sphere Mode against me tributing 3 of my monsters and giving the card to me (at least until his next turn). The full effect of this card is as follows:

Cannot be Special Summoned. Requires 3 Tributes from either side of the field to Normal Summon to that side of the field (cannot be Normal Set), then shift control to this card's owner during the End Phase of the next turn. Cannot attack. Your opponent cannot target this card for attacks or by card effects. You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 "The Winged Dragon of Ra" from your hand or Deck, ignoring its Summoning conditions, and if you do, its ATK and DEF become 4000.

Ok, so he tributes 3 of my monsters and normal summons Sphere Ra for me. Then it is my turn, and to get rid of it what I did was just tribute it with another monster I still had in the field to normal summon an 8-star monster. It is my turn so that card is under my control and I can do whatever I want with it if it does not interfere with its effect, and it doesn't say that I cannot use it to tribute summon another monster, right?

We have been discussing if this move is legal, since the effect says "You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 "The Winged Dragon of Ra" from your hand or Deck (...)". We don't know if that means you can only tribute it for summoning Ra, or if that is only one of the effects and you can tribute it for what you want.

What do you say? Thanks in advance :)

Sanokal
8th April 2017, 10:46 AM
You're all good to Tribute it for a Tribute Summon I believe.

Dread Kaiser
8th April 2017, 02:48 PM
yeah, you are free to sacrifice Ra like any other monster for anything

if a card CANNOT be tributed for something, it will say so. for example level eater cannot be Tributed, EXCEPT for a tribute summon. so you can't tribute it for kaijus or card effects, etc.
others, like Scapegoats tokens can be tributed for anything BUT a tribute summon, which monsters like Toons and Plasma love going around.

rule of thumb, if it doesn't say "Only" or "cannot", it's probably not a restriction.

servantofRA
9th April 2017, 12:49 PM
Ok, thank you! So I can tribute it not only for summoning but for any effect I need, it is good to know.