PDA

View Full Version : Vrains Episode 1

Comun
10th May 2017, 07:34 PM
Ep starts with a scene from 5 years ago, the Hanoi Knights are trying the destroy the Cyberse world and capture seemingly of the mysterious AIs except Ignis (I don't know why the promotional material hid his name if they were going to uncerimoniously reveal it before the intro). Ignis runs away and absorbs that world, but a Cracking Dragon gets him, destroying everything but his eye. The eyes escapes and 5 years later, we see a scene of Playmaker beating a Hanoi then watch the opening.

Next up, we see Yusaku waking up after sleeping in class. Everyone but Naoki already left. Naoki approaches him to show off his cool new Duel Disk with an AI and provide exposition about what the Link VRAINS is. Yusaku listens aloofly (and checks to confirmed to no photos of the Playmaker are circulating to the public). Naoki offers to teach Yusaku how to duel, but he refuses makes jerkish analysis showing three points that prove Naoki is a weak Duelist:
1. He acts too arrogant.
2. He admited he never went to the Link VRAINS due to lack of confidence in his skills.
3. He didn't try to analise Yusaku at all.
Of course, our protag is not a complete asshole, so his analysis also includes three points to prove Naoki is a good person:
1. (Forgot this one and can't recheck the episode right now)
2. He is dedicated enough to buy the newest Duel Disk as soon as it releases.
3. He started conversation with someone he assumed to be lonely.

Later we see a scene of Akira and Specter reporting to their superiors, Bishop and Revolver, respectively. They both give the same order of finding Ignis.

Next we see Yusaku chilling at Kusanagi's hot stand, close to where Gou and Aoi are scheduled to duel. Kusanagi's asks if Yusaku ever heard of the Data Storm and the answer is no. He says the Data Storm was a wind that was super popular years ago because the Duelist would perform Speed Duels riding the wind, but then that suddenly stopped happening and people are now forgetting about. He comments to Yusaku "Maybe if played there, you could start to enjoy Dueling". Yusaku seems not care and replies that he doesn't really need to enjoy Dueling, he only need to use it to destroy the Hanoi Knights because "revenge against the ones who ruined me and your brother's past, Kusanagi-san". I no longer think Kusanagi is going to be a traitor btw.

Next up, Ignis is found by SOL Technologies (how did this dumbass manage to escape for 5 years like that?) and they starting leading a search. Our duo and the Hanoi Knights quickly notice it too. The Hanoi starting giving chase while Yusaku is one step ahead and prepares a trap. Bishop orders Akira to use all their resources to catch Ignis, but Akira says it's a bad idea because that means lowering the security and the Hanoi could notice and attack. Bishop doesn't care and reminds Akira of their priorities. Akira lowers the security and the Hanoi immediately notice and attack, just as he said they would.

A Hanoi Knight corners Ignis into Yusaku's trap. Now that he has his trump card against his enemies, he turns into the Playmaker and exposes his catch. He says he converted Ignis into a Duel Program, so they only way to take it from him is by beating him in a Duel. The Hanoi takes the challenge, much to Ignis' despair. Ignis tells Yusaku "Yo, his dragon is strong, I don't think you can win with this deck". Yusaku says he should be praying for his victory in that case. Ignis replies that would rather do the modifications necessary to ensure his win. He seemingly modifies Yusaku's Deck and starts a Data Storm, giving Yusaka a board to ride the wind with. The first episode without a Duel. This never happened before and this makes me assume VRAINS will be more plot-heavy than the other Yugiohs.

Constellar28
10th May 2017, 09:16 PM
Haven't watched it yet, but found a sub.

https://ww1.gogoanime.io/yu-gi-oh-vrains-episode-1

yshipster
10th May 2017, 09:49 PM
I really like that Yusaku acts a lot like the early Yusei in terms of maturity and dedication at reaching it's goal. I have actually no problem with him being the main focus of the show without many side characters, the way he is right now. Also Bishop is literally a Bishop in a giant game of Chess. I did not see that coming (obviously these are just holograms to hide their identity, but still). The episode itself started slowly, but I guess that's a good sign, since, as it already was said, that indicates a more plot-heavy series, which is really needed after the mess Arc-V became in the end. Also I wonder what Ignis did to Yusaku's deck. Did he give him Link monsters? But the Charisma duelists and the Knights of Hanoi should already have those... Did he give him Cyberse-Type monsters? But he already had Linx Slayer previously... I guess next episode gives the answer on that.

Anyways, VRAINS looks promising from what I saw today, so now we just have to hope that the duel scripting is good as well.

False_Revelation
10th May 2017, 09:50 PM
question
what happens to his physical body when he goes to vrains?

im so glad fujiki is mature
the voice is dope too

King
10th May 2017, 10:37 PM
Vrains seems to have starting at incredble force

- - - Updated - - -

question
what happens to his physical body when he goes to vrains?

im so glad fujiki is mature
the voice is dope too

Maybe you become data or just enter in Stasis in the real world

Constellar28
10th May 2017, 11:10 PM
I just watched the episode, here is what I found interesting

SPOILER ALERT

Other than Ignis, there are 5 other AIs, so I'm guessing all of the different colored birds in the opening represent all the different AIs. It seems that Revolver has the other AIs captured, and we know he is looking for Ignis.

The unnamed AIs are colored (in order of appearance) Yellow, Orange, Blue, Red, and Green. Blue seems to be the most important, as it was in the middle of a big glowing red circle, and the others were lining the ring of the circle, and it seems to be the only girl AI.

Ignis is hiding the "Cyberse" in his eye, which was the only thing left after a Cracking Dragon ate him

Revolver has one unknown monster, as seen in the part of the opening where it is fighting Decode Talker

When Akira reports to Bishop, he is shown as a chess piece, with all of the other pieces behind him, implying that there is a King, Queen, Knight, Rook, and a Pawn

Yusaku and Kusanagi hack from the Hot Dog cart

Revolver has bullets on his earrings

Yusaku capture Ignis's eye, which was all that was left of him, in his duel disk

- - - Updated - - -

I really like that Yusaku acts a lot like the early Yusei in terms of maturity and dedication at reaching it's goal. I have actually no problem with him being the main focus of the show without many side characters, the way he is right now. Also Bishop is literally a Bishop in a giant game of Chess. I did not see that coming (obviously these are just holograms to hide their identity, but still). The episode itself started slowly, but I guess that's a good sign, since, as it already was said, that indicates a more plot-heavy series, which is really needed after the mess Arc-V became in the end. Also I wonder what Ignis did to Yusaku's deck. Did he give him Link monsters? But the Charisma duelists and the Knights of Hanoi should already have those... Did he give him Cyberse-Type monsters? But he already had Linx Slayer previously... I guess next episode gives the answer on that.

Anyways, VRAINS looks promising from what I saw today, so now we just have to hope that the duel scripting is good as well.

Ignis brought back the Data Wind, which is the purple wind you ride on for speed duels.

Constellar28
10th May 2017, 11:15 PM
You forgot about a duel that happened early in the episode.

Yusaku's Linxlayer destroy KOH's Hack Worm, and KOH lost.

King
10th May 2017, 11:56 PM
I guess each character will befriend an AI

Dread Kaiser
11th May 2017, 01:48 AM
having finally get to download and watch it

I like the way this started, MC actively searching for the plot like 5D's instead of having it explode in the middle of a duel like Zexal or ARC V did.

feels like Yusei in a ARC Vvy atmosphere. Serious character, Normal city with Dark undetones

Now to see how the duel script of the first actual duel looks

King
11th May 2017, 02:36 AM
I'm hoping for the " "But you still Take Damage"

Dread Kaiser
11th May 2017, 02:40 AM
though I am wondering what kind of Role Firewall Dragon will have.

this is the first time a MC ace had a direct removal effect, and the anime doesn't usually allow important monsters to be removed by effects (which is why Stardust Dragon's effect saw so little use compared to Utopia or Odd-Eyes)

either they break that rule, or killing enemy boss monster will be Decode Talker's Job

Volteccer
11th May 2017, 02:45 AM
though I am wondering what kind of Role Firewall Dragon will have.

this is the first time a MC ace had a direct removal effect, and the anime doesn't usually allow important monsters to be removed by effects (which is why Stardust Dragon's effect saw so little use compared to Utopia or Odd-Eyes)

either they break that rule, or killing enemy boss monster will be Decode Talker's Job

I'm still waiting for the duels to start. Firewall Dragon has all the hallmarks of a protagonist ace, but Decode looks like Ignis, which may or may not be important. Vrains could buck the trend and have Yusaku use Decode more than Firewall, but we won't know until a few episodes in.

Never die
11th May 2017, 03:11 AM
I'm still waiting for the duels to start. Firewall Dragon has all the hallmarks of a protagonist ace, but Decode looks like Ignis, which may or may not be important. Vrains could buck the trend and have Yusaku use Decode more than Firewall, but we won't know until a few episodes in.

In the 1st half of 5ds Yusei used Junk Warrior more than Stardust,then the opposite happened in the second half.So Yusaku using Decode more in the first few episodes does not mean much.

Comun
11th May 2017, 03:24 AM
Also I wonder what Ignis did to Yusaku's deck. Did he give him Link monsters? But the Charisma duelists and the Knights of Hanoi should already have those... Did he give him Cyberse-Type monsters? But he already had Linx Slayer previously... I guess next episode gives the answer on that.

My guess is that he changed all monsters Yusaku had into Cyberse-Type.

Dark-Shimy
11th May 2017, 04:07 AM
I wonder what meaning the Millenium Eye symbol has, if it will be related to the story. Most probably not, but I liked to see that in the OP.

Swampertmaster
12th May 2017, 12:55 PM
Good first ep, but I hope that the speed duels will be interesting to watch. I have less worries for the master duels. Also with the monster cameos I hope that vrains will feature the other mechanics.

LolsterXD97
12th May 2017, 05:02 PM
Episode had too much info dump for my liking, but I would be lying if I said I didn't like how the first episode didn't have a Duel (it speaks volumes, but not in a bad way, imo). Other than that:

-Ignis.
-Yusaku screwing with Naoki.
-Akira talking to a giant chess piece.
-The hot dog truck being used as an operations base.
-Virtual surfing.

Episode made me laugh as well thanks to those. Also, Cracking Dragon and Decode Talker look so fucking cool in the preview.

The mokey
13th May 2017, 09:00 AM
Good first ep, but I hope that the speed duels will be interesting to watch. I have less worries for the master duels. Also with the monster cameos I hope that vrains will feature the other mechanics.
You could see Dark Tuner nightmare in the Background in the first Episode of zexal, i wouldn´t Count on it

J. D. Guy
13th May 2017, 05:42 PM
While I enjoyed the episode for the most part, especially art-wise, I really was pining for a Duel that never came, and I worry for the precedent that may have showcased. I also feel that things would have been able to flow better if they aired the first two episodes together, as opposed to starving the audience of a Duel for a whole week after the show has begun, even in spite of being in the name of set-up (and it already started later than Yugioh shows do, anyway).

I'm also quite a bit shocked to find out how much of a jerk Yusaku was to Naoki, and seemingly is in general when he's not dealing with his agenda, especially since Naoki was just trying to be a normal, friendly teen to the guy who was sitting in class asleep and sullen as he pleased. Him balancing it out with good points is not a condonation either. It doesn't help that his points that supposedly prove that Naoki is weak doesn't actually prove that. He uses assumptions as direct correlations that don't automatically equate (arrogance doesn't not equate to weakness - it does at times, but not always - and its somewhat hypocritical of Yusaku to alledge; lack of self-confidence does not equate to lack of skill; not being super analytical in every day life should not be equated to Dueling skills on a presumption), even if Noaki isn't that good a Duelist, which we don't know.

I really like that Yusaku acts a lot like the early Yusei in terms of maturity and dedication at reaching it's goal. I have actually no problem with him being the main focus of the show without many side characters, the way he is right now.

For the first point, while he is certainly dedicated and driven, he is by no means actually mature. Dedication and drive does not equate maturity. He's also sullen-prone and aloof, but that doesn't really make him mature either.

In that regard, he isn't like Yusei, who was indeed actually mature. Yusaku comes off as a kid/teen's idea of maturity, which rather ironically makes him immature in that facet of things.

For your second point, though I'm sure a number would agree with that opinion, I'd kinda grow weary of Yusaku, especially if he doesn't affect a positive change as a person and actually matures when the time is adequate for him to be doing so. I'm not a fan of those types of characters long term without some positive development. Regardless of that, Yusaku without secondary characters, both in general and especially in cases of ones who aren't afraid to bat back Yusaku as opposed to enable him (like the hotdog guy) would make for too much of a one-note show in the grand scheme.

J. D. Guy
13th May 2017, 05:46 PM
You could see Dark Tuner nightmare in the Background in the first Episode of zexal, i wouldn´t Count on it

That's not really enough to say there won't be. Not even close, now that I think about it.

Volteccer
13th May 2017, 07:02 PM
That's not really enough to say there won't be. Not even close, now that I think about it.

While Nightmare hand you could chalk up to them just reusing a character model to fill out a scene, they had to make new models for Corebadge and Hammerkong, so I'm not giving up hope yet. Especially since it would be weird of them to give focus to all the methods in Arc-V, then follow that up and pretend none of them exist now. I would expect them all the be used sparingly form now on, though.

yshipster
13th May 2017, 10:13 PM
While Nightmare hand you could chalk up to them just reusing a character model to fill out a scene, they had to make new models for Corebadge and Hammerkong, so I'm not giving up hope yet. Especially since it would be weird of them to give focus to all the methods in Arc-V, then follow that up and pretend none of them exist now. I would expect them all the be used sparingly form now on, though.

Making new models isn't really the point, since I'm pretty sure they weren't 3D models but drawings anyways. Besides, you can't even count the number of Xyz/Synchro monsters in Arc-V flashbacks that were never used again.
However, and that is the most important point as well as the reason why I still think that there will be other summoning methods in VRAINS is that this shot of Hammerkong and Corebadge revealed us viewers that there are Xyz monsters actually being used in VRAINS, so there might be a reason why they showed us these 2 monsters instead of Gaia the Video Knight and Missus Radiant e.g.

KingKaash
13th May 2017, 10:22 PM
Lots of action for a first episode that I was a bit shocked. Kind of felt like we were dropped into like episode 10 of the first season instead of episode 1. Lots of information was tossed around too but such is the way of the introductory episodes. My takeaways:

1) Yusaku is awesome. I love his nonchalant demeanor after having Yuma and Yuya back to back. He seems like a guy who's all about business and I think that suggests he had to grow up quickly. I guess his growth as a character will be making more friends besides Kusanagi.

2) Didn't really understand the Ignis part. When he absorbed that network thing, what did he really end up taking? Because the Link VRAINS still exists. I don't think I followed very well during that part. Also there seems to be more AIs.

3) Aoi was already damelsized on the first episode. If she's such a great Charisma Duelist like the emcee said then why didn't she challenge the Knight of Hanoi to a duel instead of running off? I know the writers won't start the series off with Aoi getting the first duel but it just goes to show they already damelsized her.

4) How creepy is it that someone is always watching Yusaku?

5) It looks like this time there will be a role reversal between main character and side companion. So far, Atem, Yubel and Astral have all been the serious companion to the more lighthearted main character. This time Yusaku is the serious one while Ignis will be the more jovial one

BlazeWu
13th May 2017, 11:26 PM
Ignis seems to have cut Cyverse form the network instead of absorbing it. To me, it's like turning a YouTube video private so that only those with the link can find/watch it. Except that Ignis is the only one with the link.

Dread Kaiser
13th May 2017, 11:45 PM
Making new models isn't really the point, since I'm pretty sure they weren't 3D models but drawings anyways. Besides, you can't even count the number of Xyz/Synchro monsters in Arc-V flashbacks that were never used again.
However, and that is the most important point as well as the reason why I still think that there will be other summoning methods in VRAINS is that this shot of Hammerkong and Corebadge revealed us viewers that there are Xyz monsters actually being used in VRAINS, so there might be a reason why they showed us these 2 monsters instead of Gaia the Video Knight and Missus Radiant e.g.

And Iron chain Dragon was in the preview of Zexal episode 1, we know how that turned out.

since Link Monsters were completely unmentioned thus far, and the Knights (and even Revolver) used Cracking Dragon instead of a Link, I suspect there is another reason we weren't shown Gaiasaber or Radiant

Ignis's little "you can't beat that dragon with your deck" line implies that this is going to be like Pendulums and Links will be out of no where.

spoiler, Revolver tried to destroy Cyverse to stop VRAINS era from happening

Ex✭Blanc
14th May 2017, 01:45 PM
They really trying hard to make Cracking Dragon look intimidating as HELL.

-Crush and ate Ignis body.
-Cracks the dimension to enter.
-Get REKT City and your buildings.
-Burns people alive (not real people but still)

I´m diggin this ace(?) Monster... Well atleast seems better than Doom King Armageddon.

Erickdsl
14th May 2017, 03:16 PM
spoiler, Revolver tried to destroy Cyverse to stop VRAINS era from happening

Plot twist: Revolver was just salty cuz the link mechanic made his deck worse and he went back in time to prevent it from happening

Erickdsl
14th May 2017, 03:19 PM
They really trying hard to make Cracking Dragon look intimidating as HELL.

-Crush and ate Ignis body.
-Cracks the dimension to enter.
-Get REKT City and your buildings.
-Burns people alive (not real people but still)

I´m diggin this ace(?) Monster... Well atleast seems better than Doom King Armageddon.

Cracking dragon is more ancient gear triple bite hound dog than doom king armaggedon, i.e. the goons' ace, since it was confirmed that Revolver's ace is topologic bomber dragon.

MadRest
14th May 2017, 05:12 PM
2) Didn't really understand the Ignis part. When he absorbed that network thing, what did he really end up taking? Because the Link VRAINS still exists. I don't think I followed very well during that part. Also there seems to be more AIs.

You can think of it as him being the only one who knows the URL for a certain site. Or he could've just stopped access to the Cyberse World. I doubt there is going to be a detailed explanation for any of the networking mumbo-jumbo that's going to happen from now on.

KingKaash
14th May 2017, 10:45 PM
You can think of it as him being the only one who knows the URL for a certain site. Or he could've just stopped access to the Cyberse World. I doubt there is going to be a detailed explanation for any of the networking mumbo-jumbo that's going to happen from now on.

Ahh I just read about the Cyverse World and it all makes sense now. I must've missed that part. Yea I'm going to have to keep up with the networking mumbo-jumbo. I wanted to mention that artwork for all the tech stuff was obviously pretty good for the first episode but gosh I can only imagine how bad all the tech stuff will look when the animation gets bad like in Arc-V