PDA

View Full Version : Vrains Episode 2

Dread Kaiser
18th May 2017, 02:28 AM
Not going to give a full synopsis

so in addition to the speed duel format, EVERYONE has a cheat skill

naturally the protags is "Pull card out of ass"
so I was half right in expecting Ignis to be the source of an asspull, just not making the Link and/or Cyverse cards entirely

love the fine detail exploitation on Cracking dragon too

and we already got a "But you still take the damage" line.....oddly enough not at the end when it was also applicable

Volteccer
18th May 2017, 02:54 AM
and we already got a "But you still take the damage" line.....oddly enough not at the end when it was also applicable

Effects that prevent destruction by battle, while no actually stopping the attack, are common in the anime because the writers like people to keep their bosses out most of the game, but also need for things to feel like they progress. Ergo, the boss stays, and LP goes down. I just wish they didn't phrase it the same way every time.

Dread Kaiser
18th May 2017, 02:56 AM
Effects that prevent destruction by battle, while no actually stopping the attack, are common in the anime because the writers like people to keep their bosses out most of the game, but also need for things to feel like they progress. Ergo, the boss stays, and LP goes down. I just wish they didn't phrase it the same way every time.

I'm aware of anime card game law

just point it out as ARC V indulged in it quite a bit

Erickdsl
18th May 2017, 03:10 AM
So, this skill thing is going to be vrains' action cards/shining draws...

Well, at least they gave an explanation for Yusaku's bullshit main character powers.

J. D. Guy
18th May 2017, 03:13 AM
I enjoyed this episode more than the first, thanks to the Duel helping it along. Next episode seems to be back to setup-ville, though, so I suspect that's going to be the norm, alas.

The Duel itself was basic, which makes sense, as it was still the first Duel of the series, so it shoudn't be convoluted. That said, it managed to entertain nonetheless, since it felt as if more happened while it was being watched than actually did when you think back on it.

Lastly, I appreciate that the writers had Blue Angel return the save she got from Yusaku last episode during this one. That was cool, and I actually suspected that might happen last week. I'm glad it played out that way. An aside, but I'm also a bit pleased that Yusaku wasn't an 100% expert on his Duel Board, even if he was still pretty good for someone who never rode one of those things before.

Dread Kaiser
18th May 2017, 03:37 AM
So, this skill thing is going to be vrains' action cards/shining draws...

Well, at least they gave an explanation for Yusaku's bullshit main character powers.

and the opponent gets to cheat too, seems like the knight hacked a pot of greed for his Skill

The mokey
18th May 2017, 08:54 AM
Skills existed in Duel Links and since this is essentially an Anime Version of it...

Ex✭Blanc
18th May 2017, 10:35 AM
Nice and simple episode~ I was expecting something else with Decode Talker but seems like your basic easy to summon beater overall like how was Junk Warrior back then.

THO... The duel music could be better.

yshipster
18th May 2017, 11:58 AM
THO... The duel music could be better.

The music ruined it for me, sadly... I felt like I was watching the dub with that 100% generic and anti-climatic soundtrack. If it wont get better VRAINS might be a bigger disappointment to me than ZeXal II.

Dread Kaiser
18th May 2017, 03:53 PM
Skills existed in Duel Links and since this is essentially an Anime Version of it...

I'm fairly certain "Create a card out of thin air" was not in duel links, and the Knight apparently hacked his

hence "cheat skill"

yshipster
18th May 2017, 05:23 PM
I'm fairly certain "Create a card out of thin air" was not in duel links, and the Knight apparently hacked his

hence "cheat skill"

According to the sub, Ignis said that every duelist has a Skill, though the one the Knight of Hanoi used was most likely created by the Knights themselves, since Ignis didn't know it. Yusaku's Skill was to gather a card in that Storm btw, so he basically created a card out of thin air as well.

Volteccer
18th May 2017, 06:43 PM
I'm going to start homebrewing skill cards for casual games. The ones from Vrains might be more interesting, but I'll fill the list out with stuff from Duel Links.

BlazeWu
18th May 2017, 10:04 PM
To be fair, Pegasus do have a Skill called Creator that lets him get a card not present elsewhere like Breaker the Magical Warrior & Defender the Magical Knight.
There is also a 7-Completed from wristband skill for Bandit Keith.

Kishin
18th May 2017, 11:15 PM
I like how they put skills in the anime version. More better than lame action cards.

According to the sub, Ignis said that every duelist has a Skill, though the one the Knight of Hanoi used was most likely created by the Knights themselves, since Ignis didn't know it. Yusaku's Skill was to gather a card in that Storm btw, so he basically created a card out of thin air as well.

He didn't create decode talker. Ignis said the Data storm already had monsters living inside it.

R3QU13M
18th May 2017, 11:20 PM
Yuusaku caught that point break....

King
19th May 2017, 12:04 AM
I thought it was pretty intresting this mechanic of getting monsters via braving the storm

J. D. Guy
19th May 2017, 12:19 AM
The music ruined it for me, sadly... I felt like I was watching the dub with that 100% generic and anti-climatic soundtrack. If it wont get better VRAINS might be a bigger disappointment to me than ZeXal II.

"Dub Hate." "100% generic..."

:(

It seems I can't escape that, even here. Also, I it seems I'm the only one who enjoys the dub's soundtracks. And wish more than the original series' was released to the public.

I like how they put skills in the anime version. More better than lame action cards.

Other than having a personal beef with Action Cards in general, there's nothing inheritly "better" about Skills, other than them working in this show's environment like Action Cards worked in Arc-V's, which doesn't make one better over the other.

Kishin
19th May 2017, 02:01 AM
Other than having a personal beef with Action Cards in general, there's nothing inheritly "better" about Skills, other than them working in this show's environment like Action Cards worked in Arc-V's, which doesn't make one better over the other.

Unlike action cards their no limitation on how much cards you can get. That why they never gave people action card in real life duel. Because how serious broken it really is.

With duel Skills. It has a limit or a cost on how much a skill are use. Its more playable in real life as they play in game (Duel Links).

Which one has a better chance of making in a real life action play. Duel skills have a better chance.

In term how balance. Duel skills are more balance then action cards. Even through they are skill in anime are OP, but thats anime its always has OP cards. Buts surely Konami will balance duel skill as they did Duel Links. Making it more playable in real life. That why its much better than action cards.

Volteccer
19th May 2017, 02:38 AM
Unlike action cards their no limitation on how much cards you can get. That why they never gave people action card in real life duel. Because how serious broken it really is.

That, and sussing out the rules for them, when you're sitting at a table the whole time, would have basically been impossible. This is much easier.

LolsterXD97
19th May 2017, 02:44 AM
I enjoyed this episode more than the first, thanks to the Duel helping it along. Next episode seems to be back to setup-ville, though, so I suspect that's going to be the norm, alas.

Actually, it seems we might get Yusaku vs Revolver: https://dueldeegao.wordpress.com/2017/05/18/vrains-ep-3-w-jump/

Dread Kaiser
19th May 2017, 02:46 AM

It seems I can't escape that, even here. Also, I it seems I'm the only one who enjoys the dub's soundtracks. And wish more than the original series' was released to the public.

Depends on the soundtrack
DM's soundtrack was amazing (especially the God related themes)

5D's was good too

then we had........everything else actually

LolsterXD97
19th May 2017, 02:46 AM

Actually Skills have limited uses, so they at least have a balancing factor unlike anime!Action Cards (and this says it someone who plays Duel Links).

Dread Kaiser
19th May 2017, 02:56 AM

With duel Skills. It has a limit or a cost on how much a skill are use. Its more playable in real life as they play in game (Duel Links).

Which one has a better chance of making in a real life action play. Duel skills have a better chance.

In term how balance. Duel skills are more balance then action cards. Even through they are skill in anime are OP, but thats anime its always has OP cards. Buts surely Konami will balance duel skill as they did Duel Links. Making it more playable in real life. That why its much better than action cards.

we have no chance whatsoever for IRL Skills
that's speed duel only rule, which only exists in Duel Links, not in any official capacity

and Action cards would actually be simple to implement, make a deck of them, have a player draw and activate whatevers on top in response to another Attack or effect.

It would also be stupid to implement, their real purpose was so they wouldn't need to use the characters actual cards to save their asses, so they can focus on making bigger, impressive plays. compared to GX where everyone had pot of greed or DM when Yugi used Card of Sanctity to convienently replenish their hands when they were running on empty. It's so the characters have the cards to keep going without having to Draw and pass turn.

Biggest reason of all?
Konami can't make Skills secret rare. can't make money off it

J. D. Guy
19th May 2017, 07:07 AM
Actually, it seems we might get Yusaku vs Revolver: https://dueldeegao.wordpress.com/2017/05/18/vrains-ep-3-w-jump/

Woah!

I... Woah! I did not see that coming. That's hasn't been hinted at all up to this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the soundtrack
DM's soundtrack was amazing (especially the God related themes)

5D's was good too

then we had........everything else actually

I love me some GX music, so very much. There are choice pieces from Zexal and Arc-V I enjoy as well, but GX is my favorite, not factoring the original.

Actually Skills have limited uses, so they at least have a balancing factor unlike anime!Action Cards (and this says it someone who plays Duel Links).

That still woudn't inherently make one better than other, just different. Different rules for different Anime mechanics.

yshipster
19th May 2017, 02:29 PM

He didn't create decode talker. Ignis said the Data storm already had monsters living inside it.

And the Knight of Hanoi just drew 2 cards instead of 1. So im my opinion he didn't cheat at all. (@DreadKaiser btw)

KingKaash
19th May 2017, 10:17 PM
Nice simple duel explaining how duels work in VRAINS. I liked it. Animation was good.

How about Aoi getting in there and helping out Yusaku. She ain't a complete bystander just yet folks. And Go getting jealous of the spotlight go Playmaker's way is certainly interesting. I wonder if we'll ever see Cracking Dragon used again now that Link Monsters have shown how obsolete it is on-screen to everyone.

As for Speed Duels I never knew what they were because I'm not up to date on the whole Duel Links game. So this was a surprise. I kinda don't get the point of it unless it was to add the Duel Skill to it. Why not just leave it regular and add the Duel Skill like they did with Action Cards in Arc-V? What's the issue with having 2 more Monster Zones and S/T Zones and 1 more card in your hand? Weird.

As for the Duel Skill ability, I'm fine with that. It's way better than Action Cards because at least it has a limit.

Sanokal
19th May 2017, 11:27 PM
To be fair, Pegasus do have a Skill called Creator that lets him get a card not present elsewhere like Breaker the Magical Warrior & Defender the Magical Knight.
There is also a 7-Completed from wristband skill for Bandit Keith.

That's awesome.

Sanokal
19th May 2017, 11:32 PM

Nah, not just you mate. Honestly, ARC-V's dub soundtrack was of lesser quality, but the real problem was that the Japanese soundtrack was just so damn good.

Action Cards were fine, just ultimately mishandled. Skills at the very least will be established, and there wasn't exactly too much of a problem with this one; less than 1000 LP, all Yusaku really needed was a Link Monster strong enough to win the duel; the fact that it was a Link was his main advantage.

- - - Updated - - -

GX didn't really suit the series in terms of soundtrack either way, except for the dub on some occasions. It was odd.

ZEXAL was okay, ARC-V was a little worse, but the Japanese soundtrack was just too amazing to beat.

The mokey
22nd May 2017, 08:54 AM
Nah, not just you mate. Honestly, ARC-V's dub soundtrack was of lesser quality, but the real problem was that the Japanese soundtrack was just so damn good.

Action Cards were fine, just ultimately mishandled. Skills at the very least will be established, and there wasn't exactly too much of a problem with this one; less than 1000 LP, all Yusaku really needed was a Link Monster strong enough to win the duel; the fact that it was a Link was his main advantage.

- - - Updated - - -

GX didn't really suit the series in terms of soundtrack either way, except for the dub on some occasions. It was odd.

ZEXAL was okay, ARC-V was a little worse, but the Japanese soundtrack was just too amazing to beat.
How could the Action cards have been better handled?

BlazeWu
22nd May 2017, 09:36 AM
More variation in effects, not just sticking to miracle, evasion and acceleration.

Sanokal
23rd May 2017, 08:05 AM
How could the Action cards have been better handled?

Well for starters, while there is an excuse in situations like Turbo Duels and spaces like Chain Deathmatch; Yuya completely abandoned his strategy of consistently running around looking for the darn things after the first season (and for that matter, didn't use his monsters as effectively too). Then their use as cost payment was severely downplayed. Situations like when Yuya used Miracle and Gong used Oversword in manners different to their intended use were lacking. Action Traps vanished; though admittedly, one would see this as Declan not wanting to take the risk of screwing the Lancers over.

And as Wu said, more variation in effects, and linking to above, more clever use of the cards, especially given the get-out-of-jail-free Pendulum Monster side effect (aka, Pendulums will easily come back; just boost ATK to reduce damage. Wonder Chance in the final episode was an excellent example.

The mokey
23rd May 2017, 12:05 PM
there was a self damaging spell we saw during the captain solo filler

Sanokal
23rd May 2017, 07:08 PM
there was a self damaging spell we saw during the captain solo filler

One time in the worst episode in the series.

J. D. Guy
23rd May 2017, 10:58 PM
One time in the worst episode in the series.

Really? I enjoyed that episode. Solo played his part well, and I really need Captain Lock in my life, seriously.

Sanokal
24th May 2017, 12:05 AM
Really? I enjoyed that episode. Solo played his part well, and I really need Captain Lock in my life, seriously.

He did, and I adored the ending, but Yuya's struggle against him and Zuzu, Gong and Sylvio getting taken without a fight were just appalling.

J. D. Guy
24th May 2017, 12:13 AM
He did, and I adored the ending, but Yuya's struggle against him and Zuzu, Gong and Sylvio getting taken without a fight were just appalling.

Admittedly, I didn't care for Zuzu's handling at that point, though I was rather less bothered by Gong and Sylvio being held back, as that did lead to a bit of a cool little rescue moment. Yuya, for his part, I was okay with. This would make the last time he ever bricked, and the first time in a good while, really, and Solo being proactive in Action Card usage was cool (and something some would have preferred more of by the opposition in general). With that said, that all tallies up to me being fine with Yuya in that game.

Sanokal
24th May 2017, 06:07 AM
Admittedly, I didn't care for Zuzu's handling at that point, though I was rather less bothered by Gong and Sylvio being held back, as that did lead to a bit of a cool little rescue moment. Yuya, for his part, I was okay with. This would make the last time he ever bricked, and the first time in a good while, really, and Solo being proactive in Action Card usage was cool (and something some would have preferred more of by the opposition in general). With that said, that all tallies up to me being fine with Yuya in that game.

Not so; he had a crap hand for the BB duel as well.
Argh! Why am I finding holes to pick in the series?
Actually, yes, that was a plus for Solo.