PDA

View Full Version : The year is 20xx...

TheRamenNoodle
5th October 2015, 01:07 AM
Everybody has perfected Pendulums to Hoban levels of consistency. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on who goes first. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

The meta is defined by these words:

No Yugiohs, Fox only (http://i.imgur.com/qXmsDbs.jpg), Final Destination.

Dread Kaiser
5th October 2015, 01:09 AM
Sooooo all pendulum users cheat now?

TheRamenNoodle
5th October 2015, 01:11 AM

It isn't cheating if you're not caught.

Megamaw
5th October 2015, 01:12 AM
See, somehow, I don't think the comparison of Melee and YGO as a spectator sport is a fair one. There's an element of luck to YGO, and going first isn't always the best option.

Both games are pretty matchup based, yes. But in Melee, you can swap characters throughout the tournament, and even switching characters mid-match is very commonplace.

20XX won't happen in either metagame. Melee has an insanely high skill ceiling, if there is one, and YGO has a very notable element of luck-- meaning even the most 'consistent' of builds will ocassionally get a hand less powerful or more powerful than usual.

Dread Kaiser
5th October 2015, 01:14 AM
It isn't cheating if you're not caught.

Does writing an article on it count as being caught?

Hope in the Interstice
5th October 2015, 01:17 AM
Did you not see the second episode of Arc-V? Pendulum users always cheated.

http://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpKGqa5MP6eMBxe/giphy.gif

Mofiz
5th October 2015, 02:31 AM
Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on who goes first.

Sounds pretty much like the current OCG to me.

Nettles
8th October 2015, 12:08 AM
I'm fairly sure that the whole point of changing banlists (besides sales) is to prevent 20XX from happening to YGO.

Otherwise 20XX can happen pretty quickly since a format can be solved in a few months.

Also fellow Falco wassup

Hope in the Interstice
8th October 2015, 12:56 AM
I'm fairly sure that the whole point of changing banlists (besides sales) is to prevent 20XX from happening to YGO.

Otherwise 20XX can happen pretty quickly since a format can be solved in a few months.

Also fellow Falco wassup
What exactly is 20XX?

Icematoro
8th October 2015, 01:29 AM
What exactly is 20XX?
Here's the article on Know Your Meme (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/20xx)

You might not get it if you're not in touch with Super Smash Bros. Melee's competitive scene tho.

Nettles
8th October 2015, 01:39 AM
20XX is a meme started by a player named Hax who switched from Captain Falcon to Fox, saying that there was little reason to play anything other than the best character in the game. Hax is a firm believer in the idea that since Melee has already been boiled down into 8 tournament viable characters and then even further down into 3 top characters, it's stupidly optimistic to think that it won't be boiled down again into a top 1 character (Fox).

I saw people post 20XX memes when Nekroz was the only viable deck, but it seems to have spread otherwise.

The concept can be applied to basically every competitive game, though. The last time I played YGO competitively was during DUEA format, where there was a "top 3" best decks kind of thing going on (Shaddoll, Satellar, BA) and eventually Satellars fell off, boiling the format down to a top 2.

If the game hadn't changed with the introduction of Qli, following Hax's philosophy then it was only a matter of time before Shaddoll overcame BA and became the only relevant deck.

Edit: For the record, I strongly doubt 20XX would happen to Melee because of the sheer difficulty of playing Fox at the supposed 20XX level, but 20XX can definitely happen in a card game where there is no technical limitation on a player.

Hope in the Interstice
8th October 2015, 01:40 AM
20XX is a meme started by a player named Hax who switched from Captain Falcon to Fox, saying that there was little reason to play anything other than the best character in the game. Hax is a firm believer in the idea that since Melee has already been boiled down into 8 tournament viable characters and then even further down into 3 top characters, it's stupidly optimistic to think that it won't be boiled down again into a top 1 character (Fox).

I saw people post 20XX memes when Nekroz was the only viable deck, but it seems to have spread otherwise.

The concept can be applied to basically every competitive game, though. The last time I played YGO competitively was during DUEA format, where there was a "top 3" best decks kind of thing going on (Shaddoll, Satellar, BA) and eventually Satellars fell off, boiling the format down to a top 2.

If the game hadn't changed with the introduction of Qli, following Hax's philosophy then it was only a matter of time before Shaddoll overcame BA and became the only relevant deck.
I see. Thankfully, this game changes with every new released card and banlist.

TheRamenNoodle
8th October 2015, 03:04 AM

Also fellow Falco wassup

Ayyy. Wats poppin'