PDA

View Full Version : GX Season 4: Good ending for the series, or too much of a stretch?

SynjoDeonecros
6th October 2015, 10:42 PM
I remember watching GX, both the dub and the sub, a long while back, and the most memorable part I remember was the ending to Season 3, and the lack of translating Season 4 for the US. It seemed like a good ending for the dub; the crisis is averted, Jaden returns after a trip through the 12 dimensions, and he seems really happy to see Syrus.

When I saw the undubbed fourth season, it seemed like a complete betrayal of that ending; Jaden was being a brooding asshole to everyone for a while, and the bad guy didn't seem to fit in the series. Yeah, it explained what happened in the Abandoned Dorm, somewhat, but it just didn't seem to fit, somehow. Darkness being a Pazuzu reject never sat well with me, and Trueman was like a combination of Michael Jackson and Dennis Rodman in looks, and completely ridiculous in schemes. It seemed really detached to the core characters, honestly. To be perfectly honest, I would've preferred the ending to Season 3 to be the end of the series, though with a bit of a blurb to explain what happened to the characters since then.

What do you guys think? Was Season 4 of GX too much for the series, or was it an adequate ending to the series?

Cheesedude
7th October 2015, 12:41 AM
I don't know that it was a good ending, but I really liked it, even if I'm still not 100% on what exactly it is I watched.

It has quite a few of my favorite anime moments though. Ojama Yellow bitchslapping Edo, Sho carrying on his brother's Deck, Manjoume being on Judai's level and then losing on purpose. Saiou coming back and the whole thing with The Fool. Trueman's shenanigans. The O'Brien duel. My god.

Future Fusion into Dragon's Mirror into two FGDs. Jesus.

As good as the ending of Yugi vs. Judai was, I'd have preferred something else so that GX could have stood on its own more.

Noir
7th October 2015, 01:01 AM
I honestly think the Light of Ruin should've been the final boss. I mean, all throughout Seasons 2 and 3, we've been taught that the Light of Ruin was behind a lot of shit. I mean, wouldn't be better if the primary antagonistic force of the Series be the final boss just returning for its revenge?

Dread Kaiser
7th October 2015, 01:25 AM
I honestly think the Light of Ruin should've been the final boss. I mean, all throughout Seasons 2 and 3, we've been taught that the Light of Ruin was behind a lot of shit. I mean, wouldn't be better if the primary antagonistic force of the Series be the final boss just returning for its revenge?

NOPE! We beat that things ass off screen, lol.
--Jaden

Noir
7th October 2015, 02:19 AM
NOPE! We beat that things ass off screen, lol.
--Jaden

Goddammit Judai....

Blue
8th October 2015, 03:03 AM
Season 4 had some of the hypest moments in the series, but I can echo what a lot of people have said already.

"What the fuck did I just watch?"

TheRamenNoodle
8th October 2015, 03:05 AM
Well I did like the last episodes of GX S4...

Dread Kaiser
8th October 2015, 03:21 AM
The last few Episodes were nice, just wish they gave some build-up (and BUDGET) for God Neos like they did with Quasar in 5D's

ScionStorm
8th October 2015, 05:44 AM
Lots of fun stuff in Season 4. Loved the introduction to Clear World concept and Fujiwara. I'm quite thankful I dropped the dub series near the beginning of season 3 and watched everything moving forward as subbed original JP version.

AccelRainbowDashley
8th October 2015, 07:16 AM
GX was always weird though. In season 2 Judai took his duel with Saiou to actual space so hologram Neos could punch and destroy a real satellite.

My absolute favourite part of Season 4 was Judai finally realizing how good he was at the game. The tag tournament where he OTK'd everyone was pretty funny.

pyrQ
8th October 2015, 11:32 AM
Season 4 of GX had the rematch between Judai and Cronos. So many feels in that duel.

Mofiz
8th October 2015, 01:40 PM
Season 4 was the best of the seasons. 1 was pretty childish and lame. 2 went a bit better with Saiyou but only the last few duels. The whole idea of everyone being controlled in such a bullshit way was just boring.
3 was pretty interesting and some of the duels were really entertaining. I disliked th Sangenma since they were just cheap ripoffs of the Sangenshin. They had pretty much no story, were not nearly as strong or intimidating as the gods and they were just splashed like that. Their interdrucing was literally summoning them all at once.
4 may be just splashed out of nothing but it was without a doubt the coolest and the darkest season. Everyone gone and some crazy ass fuckers are just corrupting and beating everyone who left. It was much more exciting than anything the series had. And even though Darkness' cards' names started to piss me off, that duel was awesome as fuck. Especially Neos Wiseman which was without a doubt Judais most badass moment. God Neos kind of was just... there.

Mystic TimeKeeper
8th October 2015, 01:44 PM
I second that, except that I liked 1st season pace because it was pretty relaxed and was probably the only season that gave us the "high-school of card games" the most.

But Season 4 Judai still wins in my opinion, even if he is borderline emo.

Cheesedude
8th October 2015, 04:34 PM
I maintain that seasons 3 and 4 would have failed utterly without the more light-hearted seasons 1 and 2 to compare them to.

The show (and Judai's) fall into darkness would have had no impact had it not been light beforehand. You don't go "full-dark" the whole time, it doesn't work.

Mystic TimeKeeper
8th October 2015, 04:52 PM
I maintain that seasons 3 and 4 would have failed utterly without the more light-hearted seasons 1 and 2 to compare them to.

The show (and Judai's) fall into darkness would have had no impact had it not been light beforehand. You don't go "full-dark" the whole time, it doesn't work.

Those are the posts that makes me wish there was an upvote function in the forum.

AccelRainbowDashley
8th October 2015, 05:03 PM
Those are the posts that makes me wish there was an upvote function in the forum.

We don't need the cancer that is upvotes on the forum. Some people double post enough as it is.

On topic, I should watch season 4 again. It's short enough that it won't eat up any considerable time.

Dread Kaiser
8th October 2015, 05:16 PM
Season 4 was the best of the seasons. 1 was pretty childish and lame. 2 went a bit better with Saiyou but only the last few duels. The whole idea of everyone being controlled in such a bullshit way was just boring.
3 was pretty interesting and some of the duels were really entertaining. I disliked th Sangenma since they were just cheap ripoffs of the Sangenshin. They had pretty much no story, were not nearly as strong or intimidating as the gods and they were just splashed like that. Their interdrucing was literally summoning them all at once.
4 may be just splashed out of nothing but it was without a doubt the coolest and the darkest season. Everyone gone and some crazy ass fuckers are just corrupting and beating everyone who left. It was much more exciting than anything the series had. And even though Darkness' cards' names started to piss me off, that duel was awesome as fuck. Especially Neos Wiseman which was without a doubt Judais most badass moment. God Neos kind of was just... there.

Then Sangenma only really sucked because they didn't throw that blanket immunity they did on EVERYTHING ELSE in GX. though they were also revivable, being semi-moni would have been nice in the real game. It would have been nice if the God Expies got build-up to match the originals but the way they built the plot for them forced the "all in 1 duel" thing by having them all locked up and not allowing their escape.

That said they certainly scared Jaden enough. when they showed up again in Season 3 Jaden mentioned he didn't like the idea of going up against them without Sabatiel around. and without that 5 in 1 Deus Ex Machina he would have lost the first time.

Still seeing Hamon taken down by fucking bubbleman was NOT the high-point of the Daemons, thats for sure

Mystic TimeKeeper
8th October 2015, 05:22 PM
Then Sangenma only really sucked because they didn't throw that blanket immunity they did on EVERYTHING ELSE in GX. though they were also revivable, being semi-moni would have been nice in the real game. It would have been nice if the God Expies got build-up to match the originals but the way they built the plot for them forced the "all in 1 duel" thing by having them all locked up and not allowing their escape.

That said they certainly scared Jaden enough. when they showed up again in Season 3 Jaden mentioned he didn't like the idea of going up against them without Sabatiel around. and without that 5 in 1 Deus Ex Machina he would have lost the first time.

Still seeing Hamon taken down by fucking bubbleman was NOT the high-point of the Daemons, thats for sure

I second all that you've said but seeing Neo-Bubbleman taking on NOT one, but TWO demons and actually killing them for me was pure hype.

Cheesedude
8th October 2015, 05:28 PM
Yeah, that was a great moment. Of all the card Judai could have used, he takes them down with a Bubbleman-upgrade.
...and then Kagemaru revived them anyway, so that balances out. They always felt like a threat to me. It was also nice to see Judai acknowledged that he only won due to Sabatiel, which made him apprehensive about facing them again without it.

AccelRainbowDashley
8th October 2015, 05:35 PM
It was also nice to see Judai acknowledged that he only won due to Sabatiel, which made him apprehensive about facing them again without it.

It was really refreshing for Judai to be the one to point out he owed his victory to Sabetiel, and it showed in the rematch when he would have lost if it wasn't for Rainbow Dragon shenanigans.

I feel like Judai has always been really smart though. One example that comes to mind was when he dueled Titan in season 1, and figured out that the 'Duel of Darkness' was just a parlor trick.

Dread Kaiser
8th October 2015, 05:38 PM
It was really refreshing for Judai to be the one to point out he owed his victory to Sabetiel, and it showed in the rematch when he would have lost if it wasn't for Rainbow Dragon shenanigans.

I feel like Judai has always been really smart though. One example that comes to mind was when he dueled Titan in season 1, and figured out that the 'Duel of Darkness' was just a parlor trick.

and then they turned that around and had him fail horribly everytime he actually tries thinking

AccelRainbowDashley
8th October 2015, 05:42 PM
and then they turned that around and had him fail horribly everytime he actually tries thinking

I think they were trying to balance it by showing Judai being a lovable goofball, but also capable of tactical thinking when it came to duels. They just sort of buggered it. Until season 4 when he dropped the comical side and started steamrolling everything.

MystikX
8th October 2015, 05:44 PM

Wuts a fee-an-say, Asuka? :p

KingKaash
16th October 2015, 10:54 PM
Who actually wins? Yugi Atem using his Egyptian God deck or Jaden using Neo-Spacian/Elemental Hero deck? I wish they showed how that duel went in its entirety. The Ultimate Graduation duel.

SynjoDeonecros
10th November 2015, 11:28 PM
I found the time-traveling bit to get Yugi and Jaden to duel contrived and nonsensical, honestly; since when did Yugi or his deck have that ability? Does Yugi still duel, or did he retire entirely from Duel Monsters? If he's still dueling, what does his deck look like, now, instead of the one that's on tour? Honestly, I would've preferred a more mature, confident, and non-Atemed Yugi going against Jaden for the final duel, see how both of them have grown as a duelist, instead of having the crock about traveling back in time to duel Yugi "at his peak".