PDA

View Full Version : Characters with wasted potential

Mystic TimeKeeper
8th October 2015, 05:07 PM
So, looking back at the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise we can fondly remember our favourite characters duking out with children's trading cards, be it main or side character, and regardless of the amount of screentime (for example, I absolutely love Enjo Mukuro).

That's IF those characters managed to stand out and weren't cursed with bad characterization/being forgotten by the story altogether, so I ask you:

- What is the character that disappointed you the most? Had you any expectations or it was doomed from the start?

To make an example, I was extremely disappointed at how Rei Saotome/Blair Flannigan (GX) was handled by the writers, she appeared as a child in season 1 as a one-shot character in one of the funniest episodes ever in the franchise, then they make her appear as a teenager at the end of season 2 presenting her as one of the 2 finalist of the Genex Tournament (the other was Manjoume/Chazz), a tournament that supposedly had the best duelist in the world partecipating (granted that Judai dropped out in the middle).
You think that after all this grand comeback she is gonna do something relevant, right? Of course no! Aside that sub-plot with the kid that was hosting Yubel's arm at the time (Martin/Marcel for those who actually remember the name) in which the best she can do is being a plot device and calling his name, she disappears again until Season 4 where she only gets that Tag Duel where the main focus isn't even her.

I'd prefer to limit the discussion to the series that have already ended so we have the whole picture to look at.
So, if you have complaints towards how a character could have been much better with just a bit more effort, that's the place to say it.

AccelRainbowDashley
8th October 2015, 05:17 PM
I imagine a lot of comments will involve 5Ds.

For me, Asuka was wasted. They built her up as a strong female duelist, capable of going toe to toe with Judai, only to make her a damsel in distress in season 3.

Mystic TimeKeeper
8th October 2015, 05:19 PM
I imagine a lot of comments will involve female characters.

And yes, Asuka has the fault of being around since season 1 AND being hyped in several occasions, then always failing to live up the hype she created.

MystikX
8th October 2015, 05:22 PM
(for example, I absolutely love Enjo Mukuro).

YAY! I'm not alone in this line-of-thought!

Biggest disappointment was Demak. He was just....there.....

Mystic TimeKeeper
8th October 2015, 05:23 PM

Hily... Demak! The Dark Signer they just called randomly a saturday nigt because they were short one guy.

AccelRainbowDashley
8th October 2015, 05:24 PM
Probably because they didn't know how to write female characters consistently. She was a top duelist in season 1, one of the few that actually won their duel against an assassin, then season 2 she was still treated as a top duelist and was treated as an elite in Saoiu's cult. Then suddenly, in season 3 she was useless.

Dread Kaiser
8th October 2015, 05:25 PM
Everyone not a main character and not from ARC V.
Basically every character outside the main 3 of Zexal (especially Anna and Cathy, for basically the same reasons as Asuka from GX) and...GX. All of it.
Atleast Chazz got awesome moments in the manga, but what they did to him in the anime.....

Top one off of my list would be the 3 kids and Reira of ARC V. Ayu aside, they just cut to Reira beating them.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, Asuka has the fault of being around since season 1 AND being hyped in several occasions, then always failing to live up the hype she created.
well duh, ARC V and 5D's season 1 aside YGO has not been nice to their ladies

- - - Updated - - -

Blame Crow for that one

Cheesedude
8th October 2015, 05:25 PM
DM:

Bakura (in the anime, obviously). His lack of participation in every filler arc was disappointing.

Rebecca in the DOMA arc, too, I wish she had done a bit more (but she was the highlight of the KC Grand Prix, so there's that).

GX:
Asuka's slowly dwindling role.

Misawa was a particular disappointment to me. He honestly reminded me of MYSELF when I used to Duel with my friends in middle and high school. Starting the game far before when the game started so to speak. I once "helped" a friend with his deck, then showed up the next day with a deck specifically designed to counter what I told him. Yeah, I was a dick when I was a kid. So I wanted more Misawa. Always.

I would say Sho as well, but they actually pulled off something fairly unique with him in season 3 - they developed him and the development was explicitly NOT tied to Dueling at all.

All of the foreign champions except Johan could have done with more screentime (even though they were eating the screentime of the original cast), but what we got from each of them was good. Amon is a particular favorite.

5D's:
Aki, Ruka and Rua, obviously. Particularly Ruka. Oh, and Sherry. These are some of the worst offenders in the franchise.

ZEXAL:
Rio sticks out to me here, such a good debut for her and then basically nothing after that. Definitely suffered from "too many characters" syndrome. I would have liked to see more from Gauche too, but his role in the story was pretty much done, so I appreciate that they didn't keep shoehorning him in (bar the Legendary Numbers arc duel, but that was a fairly-well done shoehorn).

Plus the entire Numbers Club. Cathy was an early favorite of mine, it was very disappointing she dropped off the radar except for crush on Yuma. I honestly liked Tokunosuke's character too. I'm more neutral towards class rep and Tetsuo, but they weren't bad characters by any means.

Also Durbe. And despite all this, ZEXAL had enough other interesting characters that did get screentime that I can't complain too much.

Dread Kaiser
8th October 2015, 05:27 PM
Probably because they didn't know how to write female characters consistently. She was a top duelist in season 1, one of the few that actually won their duel against an assassin, then season 2 she was still treated as a top duelist and was treated as an elite in Saoiu's cult. Then suddenly, in season 3 she was useless.

She WAS IN SEASON 3?
I don't even remember her being there.......oh right I guess Bronn needed that sacrafice

- - - Updated - - -

wow this topic exploded
there was only 1 reply when I started typing...

AccelRainbowDashley
8th October 2015, 05:27 PM
She WAS IN SEASON 3?
I don't even remember her being there.......oh right I guess Bronn needed that sacrafice

She was also caught in one of Cobra's traps, a sealed room that slowly filled up with water. I -think- Johan saved her, but I don't fully remember.

Dread Kaiser
8th October 2015, 05:36 PM
DM:

Bakura (in the anime, obviously). His lack of participation in every filler arc was disappointing.

Rebecca in the DOMA arc, too, I wish she had done a bit more (but she was the highlight of the KC Grand Prix, so there's that).

GX:
Asuka's slowly dwindling role.

Misawa was a particular disappointment to me. He honestly reminded me of MYSELF when I used to Duel with my friends in middle and high school. Starting the game far before when the game started so to speak. I once "helped" a friend with his deck, then showed up the next day with a deck specifically designed to counter what I told him. Yeah, I was a dick when I was a kid. So I wanted more Misawa. Always.

I would say Sho as well, but they actually pulled off something fairly unique with him in season 3 - they developed him and the development was explicitly NOT tied to Dueling at all.

All of the foreign champions except Johan could have done with more screentime (even though they were eating the screentime of the original cast), but what we got from each of them was good. Amon is a particular favorite.

5D's:
Aki, Ruka and Rua, obviously. Particularly Ruka. Oh, and Sherry. These are some of the worst offenders in the franchise.

ZEXAL:
Rio sticks out to me here, such a good debut for her and then basically nothing after that. Definitely suffered from "too many characters" syndrome. I would have liked to see more from Gauche too, but his role in the story was pretty much done, so I appreciate that they didn't keep shoehorning him in (bar the Legendary Numbers arc duel, but that was a fairly-well done shoehorn).

Plus the entire Numbers Club. Cathy was an early favorite of mine, it was very disappointing she dropped off the radar except for crush on Yuma. I honestly liked Tokunosuke's character too. I'm more neutral towards class rep and Tetsuo, but they weren't bad characters by any means.

Also Durbe. And despite all this, ZEXAL had enough other interesting characters that did get screentime that I can't complain too much.

I dunno how I even forgot about Misawa til now....

That and V. didn't get to do much unlike his brothers. as a villain his role was....keeping IV in line. and not much else.
then his duel was "I know everything you gonna do" crap, but unlike End of Fortune Cup-Jack he didn't demonstrate it very well since his game amounted to "hide behind Dyson sphere with a themed 7Tools down". Whatever happened to those hell-themed cards he used on that stupid duel coaster?
Then got eaten by Neo Galaxy eyes, the one monster he really SHOULD have seen coming, given he watch it take out both III and IV

I DID like his duel against Mizar though. THAT was well done and didn't suffer from the usual issues I had with Zexal Duels

MystikX
8th October 2015, 05:42 PM
Honestly, when it comes to character development for side-characters, they need to do the Vanguard route, and do what VG did with Izaki. Dude got more development in a single episode than the main character got in the entire series. And that was 120 episodes into the series!

Zarkiel
8th October 2015, 05:43 PM
Astral. Total wasted potential. He's set up as a dueling genius, but the first time we see him duel, he's terrified of his opponent. However, about 80 episodes later he duel 96 and had him set up for defeat right from the start. and in the end, can summon 5 different utopias in like 1 turn. They should of had him duel more rather than backseat for yuma in my opinion.

Mystic TimeKeeper
8th October 2015, 05:50 PM
Honestly, when it comes to character development for side-characters, they need to do the Vanguard route, and do what VG did with Izaki. Dude got more development in a single episode than the main character got in the entire series. And that was 120 episodes into the series!

For a moment I had to think really hard, then I remembered who and what you were talking about and I say Yes! That's the way to develop a side character.

And Sherry was really a sad story, she was progressing so well then she disappears until the end of the season, at least the handicap duel was awesome.

Dread Kaiser
8th October 2015, 05:56 PM
Astral. Total wasted potential. He's set up as a dueling genius, but the first time we see him duel, he's terrified of his opponent. However, about 80 episodes later he duel 96 and had him set up for defeat right from the start. and in the end, can summon 5 different utopias in like 1 turn. They should of had him duel more rather than backseat for yuma in my opinion.

To be fair, Kaito DID nearly kill him earlier and he was basically directing Yumas moves in that duel so by extent Kaito beat HIM. He also may or may not have had all of his skill intact due to the memory thing.

in the end he was taking over for Don K as BS final boss. it DOES make you wonder where the shit his deck was all this time though.

"Funny story, I had this ultra BS in my back pocket the whole series"
--Astral

Cheesedude
8th October 2015, 06:00 PM
I just assume that gaining all the Numbers unlocked his full power, letting him use and/or create other powerful cards, too.

I mean look what happens to Vector's Deck once he merges with Don Thousand. Then Nasch's Deck suddenly has the same sort of Chaos support once he takes Thousand's Numbers. Same deal here, I think.

That, or the Astral and Barian Worlds both have their own CAC Machines.

Dread Kaiser
8th October 2015, 06:05 PM
I just assume that gaining all the Numbers unlocked his full power, letting him use and/or create other powerful cards, too.

I mean look what happens to Vector's Deck once he merges with Don Thousand. Then Nasch's Deck suddenly has the same sort of Chaos support once he takes Thousand's Numbers. Same deal here, I think.

That, or the Astral and Barian Worlds both have their own CAC Machines.

Basically, things make more sense when you think of their cards/decks as Techniques from DBZ, they just learn new ones, no need to think any harder on it.

Cheesedude
8th October 2015, 06:12 PM
I mean, yeah. Its explicitly shown that way in-universe numerous times, too. You can practice your drawing skills to make them better. Tarzan guy did it so much his other dueling skills atrophied.

Anything that can't be chalked up to "lol, I bought new cards" or "superpowers gave me this" should probably just be assumed to be the latter.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
8th October 2015, 10:47 PM
Izayoi Aki is probably the first one that comes to mind for me because I loved so many attributes about her and then she got blown off completely and then swept under the rug. But in all honestly, I feel like Yu-Gi-Oh! anime as a franchise is all wasted potential, because the writers like to just pull crap all the time. Pretty much anyone not the main character is sidelined to an unnecessary extent.

Mystic TimeKeeper
8th October 2015, 10:50 PM
Izayoi Aki is probably the first one that comes to mind for me because I loved so many attributes about her and then she got blown off completely and then swept under the rug. But in all honestly, I feel like Yu-Gi-Oh! anime as a franchise is all wasted potential, because the writers like to just pull crap all the time. Pretty much anyone not the main character is sidelined to an unnecessary extent.

And even then our favourite spotlight stealer Crow basically doomed the obviously important female lead Izayoi Aki into obscurity (Dennis was on the way of doing it but thankfully Shun fixed that soon enough).

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
8th October 2015, 10:55 PM
I wasn't going to mention that because everyone hates Crow and I figured I need not point it out. Honestly I think he was a decent character; I just hate how the writers decided to give him so much useless screentime that would have been better allotted to other characters. Spotlight stealer, absolutely, but not a bad character.

Mystic TimeKeeper
8th October 2015, 11:02 PM
I actually like Crow, but they really put him everywhere they could, he basically had no choice but to become an inside joke together with BuyBlackwings.

ScionStorm
8th October 2015, 11:32 PM
Alexis, Blair and Miswa were such wasted potential. At least Alexis ended on a decent note, achieving her goal of becoming a professor. Blair always felt like she should have been more, the way they set her up. Also, I wanted to see more of this curious Mystic Baby archetype. Talk about wasted potential, Miswa NEVER got around to playing that Fire Dragon you see in the show's opening. What a ripoff! At least he got a cool Yokai deck in the manga.

Aki and Ruka were definitely begging for better development. But what was really wasted was Carly. She had such an amazing arc in season 1 and then I waited literally the entire rest of the series for her to be relevant and even duel again. One of my biggest disappointment of 5Ds. There's also old man Yanagi. That guy was pretty fun early in the first season and I had hoped he would be a regular recurring character but he just sort of faded of the face of the show.

Blue
9th October 2015, 12:06 AM
I'd say the biggest disappointment for me was Sly in the 2nd half of 5D's.

they built the kid up as being willing to do anything to steal Yusei's Stardust dragon.

And then he never does anything again.

Blue
9th October 2015, 12:13 AM
I'd say the biggest disappointment for me was Sly in the 2nd half of 5D's.

they built the kid up as being willing to do anything to steal Yusei's Stardust dragon.

And then he never does anything again.

KingJinzo
11th October 2015, 01:14 PM
Mai Kujaku in season 5, Grand Championship. That season could have redeemed her. She only tried in season 4, but tried.
Bakura, and obviously, his affection for board games.
Anzu and Honda. Honda should beat more guys up.

Misawa got really handled bad. He's my favorite GX character. He's much better than Manjoume.
Asuka, obviously. The same goes for Aki.
Kaiser, especially since he's a better rival than Manjoume will ever be. He's screentime was kind of weird. Especially in season 4.
Edo, who was the main rival in season 2, but is rarely there in season 3 onwards. Edo might be an even better rival than Kaiser would ever be.
Jim "disappeared" in season 4.
Yubel in season 4. She doesn't show up that often.

Luca. I don't even know how her deck properly works. It's not even an archetype. Most of her duels were with her brother, who wasn't a Signer until the end of 5D's, but got more screentime and cards than her. That doesn't make even sense.
Mukuro Enjo. This guy was funny and a cool D-Wheeler. He should have stick more often.
All of the Dark Signers that weren't the Goodwin brothers. Kiryu got plenty of screentime, but then he was just left in Satisfaction Town. Carly got demoted to complete fangirl, Bommer showed up on a few occasions, Misty "disappeared", no mentioning of Demak, who has no backstory whatsoever.
Sherry. She was cool, but then she fell from the ship.

Anna and Rio, for being the coolest girls in that series.
V. He even has only one Number, despite being the oldest brother.
Gauche and Droite.
Fuya, a.k.a. Robin. He was a cool boy.

Masumi, Hokuto and Yaiba. They simply got forgotten, and one of them was wasted by one of our two heroines. Come on, ARC-V recycled Sawatari.
Mieru. The only Ritual Duelist. And the only Flip Summon Duelist in that series.
Tatsuya, Ayu and Futoshi. Tatsuya and Futoshi got almost no screentime during the Junior Championship. We got official cards from two little red-headed lolis who even work as archetypes, but those two guys ain't nothing.

KingKaash
16th October 2015, 10:40 PM
I gotta go with Kalin Kessler from the anime. He was like the fallen angel of 5Ds. He was one of the Enforcers along with Yusei, Jack and Crow. Then he comes back as a Dark Signer and pretty much wrecks Yusei and his D-Wheel with his Earthbound Immortal Giant. He also used Hundred-Eyes Dragon which was one of the coolest Synchro monsters IMO. In their next duel, he pushes Yusei so far that Yusei has to summon Majestic Star Dragon to beat him.

Then he becomes this sorta weak quiet guy in that crazy Crash Town and those Infernity monsters never really sold it for me. I guess I wanted him to join forces again with Yusei, Jack and Crow to take on Yliaster. I know it wouldn't make sense since that WRGP required only 3 duelist so he'd be the odd guy out. But I wanted to see him more with the rest of the gang. The reunification of friends you know

KingKaash
16th October 2015, 10:48 PM
I DID like his duel against Mizar though. THAT was well done and didn't suffer from the usual issues I had with Zexal Duels[/QUOTE]

My favorite duels of Zexal has to be Mizar vs Quinton & Trey and Nasch vs Quattro. Those duels were intense and had strategy to them

Brightshine Stardust
26th November 2015, 05:03 PM

......honestly the first thing in my mind, is indeed the female characters.

Asuka, Rei, Aki, Ruka, Rio, Ayu, Mieru.......all characters that were initially seems to be set up as someone who will be important, but later on ends up doing nothing or even straight up disappearing from the show.

And then there's Anna & Cathy.

Sanokal
26th November 2015, 06:37 PM
Blame Shin Yoshida for Rio, Anna and Cathy (and Luna from the manga). Leave him to his own devices and he'll rarely have female characters in a story.

Mystic TimeKeeper
26th November 2015, 06:41 PM
Blame Shin Yoshida for Rio, Anna and Cathy (and Luna from the manga). Leave him to his own devices and he'll rarely have female characters in a story.

You make me remember that I did read the summaries for Zexal manga, I did not understood Luna's role in the whole thing.

Sanokal
26th November 2015, 06:43 PM
Pretty much she's there for exposition and to give Shark's faction some numbers.

Dread Kaiser
26th November 2015, 07:34 PM
You make me remember that I did read the summaries for Zexal manga, I did not understood Luna's role in the whole thing.

Because Shark needed a new number since they kept him losing 17

oh and exposition

and Anna wasn't around so they needed more Not-Loli Eye candy.........and thats about it

- - - Updated - - -

Give him control and we will have a Male-female ratio more unbalanced then Jojo's

Sanokal
26th November 2015, 09:05 PM
Because Shark needed a new number since they kept him losing 17

oh and exposition

and Anna wasn't around so they needed more Not-Loli Eye candy.........and thats about it

- - - Updated - - -

Give him control and we will have a Male-female ratio more unbalanced then Jojo's

And sadly, he's heading the ARC-V manga.

Jolan
26th November 2015, 10:34 PM

That explains why in the Arc-V manga, Yuzu doesn't know how to duel. Female? massive character downgrade.

Sanokal
26th November 2015, 10:58 PM
That explains why in the Arc-V manga, Yuzu doesn't know how to duel. Female? massive character downgrade.

Wait, does she really not? I thought that she just hadn't dueled yet.

ScionStorm
26th November 2015, 10:59 PM
Old. Man. Yanagi.

Sanokal
26th November 2015, 11:00 PM
Old. Man. Yanagi.

I wonder if that was part of the fallout from canning the Arcadia Movement?

Dread Kaiser
26th November 2015, 11:09 PM

FUCK

And that manga was looking so good too....
Well who knows, hopefully a miracle will occur and he won't doom the damn thing, I mean he must have been hired for SOME level of decent storytelling......right?

ScionStorm
26th November 2015, 11:45 PM
Decent storytelling=/=strong female cast

Dread Kaiser
27th November 2015, 12:09 AM
Decent storytelling=/=strong female cast

Decent storytelling typically includes a cast of well developed characters, the female cast doesn't need to be strong, just not 1 dimensional walking props like Kotori was

Hope in the Interstice
27th November 2015, 01:29 AM
Decent storytelling typically includes a cast of well developed characters, the female cast doesn't need to be strong, just not 1 dimensional walking props like Kotori was
And the rest of Yuma's friends. Except arguably Tokunosuke (I think that's his name).

SynjoDeonecros
27th November 2015, 08:05 PM
Wait, does she really not? I thought that she just hadn't dueled yet.

Same here. She kicks ass in the anime, if she's been reduced to cheerleader status in the manga, then that really sucks for her. It's like almost none of the writers for the series wants to have strong female duelists. What, do they assume that Yugioh is a primarily guy's game? Or is it just the whole "Girls don't play games" stigma that's been going around, for ages, lately?

Sanokal
27th November 2015, 09:58 PM
Same here. She kicks ass in the anime, if she's been reduced to cheerleader status in the manga, then that really sucks for her. It's like almost none of the writers for the series wants to have strong female duelists. What, do they assume that Yugioh is a primarily guy's game? Or is it just the whole "Girls don't play games" stigma that's been going around, for ages, lately?

Like I said, Shin Yoshida (the writer for ZEXAL anime and manga and the ARC-V manga) hardly ever has female characters in his stories if you don't slap him upside the head and remind him.

Hope in the Interstice
28th November 2015, 12:31 AM
We're in very early with only one duel under our belts; let's not get ahead of ourselves. Speaking of, where the hell is the translated Chapter 4...?

LolsterXD97
28th November 2015, 12:50 AM
GX:
-Most of the cast really.

5ds:
-Aki.
-Divine.
-Himuro.
-Sherry.
-The Dark Signers.
-The Twins.
-Yanagi.

Zexal:
-Anna.
-Droite.
-The Barian Emperors.
-V.

Arc-V:
-Like GX, most of the cast.

Dread Kaiser
28th November 2015, 01:09 AM
GX:
Edo (Got reduced to Manjoume's bitch in Season 4, that Ultimate D Card wasn't so ultimate if it had that shitty Volcasaurus effect).

To be fair, that effect was crazy back in the day.
Back then Destruction effects WERE the game. something that both wouldn't stay dead and could deal damage without risking battle traps was crazy good, it was why things like Phoenix and Vampire Lord were on the banlist for a time, because they never stayed dead.

Now only if he could be summoned more easily, he is awesome..... Honestly gathering his material Easier is the 1 Pro- item on my list of "Why stratos can come back"

LolsterXD97
28th November 2015, 01:14 AM
To be fair, that effect was crazy back in the day.
Back then Destruction effects WERE the game. something that both wouldn't stay dead and could deal damage without risking battle traps was crazy good, it was why things like Phoenix and Vampire Lord were on the banlist for a time, because they never stayed dead.

Now only if he could be summoned more easily, he is awesome..... Honestly gathering his material Easier is the 1 Pro- item on my list of "Why stratos can come back"
Sad that now Destruction Effects aren't much of a threat like before, Leo and Volca would have been broken if they existed at that time.

The Materials for Dragoon can be searched easily now due to the new cards (Shadow Mist, Fusion Conscription, Fusion Reserve, and the Stratos).

Volteccer
3rd December 2015, 01:20 AM
Kotori had a deck of fairy monsters, including an xyz monster. She's a duelist, but we don't see that until most of the way through the series, and even then, we only see a couple of her cards, and she didn't even play under her own volition.

LolsterXD97
3rd December 2015, 01:28 AM
Kotori had a deck of fairy monsters, including an xyz monster. She's a duelist, but we don't see that until most of the way through the series, and even then, we only see a couple of her cards, and she didn't even play under her own volition.

Her Xyz represented what she was during the entire series: A cheerleader. She could also have Winged Beasts in her Deck because of a Icarus Attack cameo if I remember.

Dread Kaiser
3rd December 2015, 01:39 AM
Her Xyz represented what she was during the entire series: A cheerleader.

odd way of spelling "Useless fucking Prop"
She didn't even do much cheering, she just screamed "YUMA!!!" because we apparently needed to be informed that getting thrown 20 feet by some monster hurts. EVERY. EPISODE.

Seriously, completely write her out of the entire story, you lose nothing. she did nothing whatsoever for the plot that another character couldn't have done

whoever wrote her character should not have a job.......or their head.

Brightshine Stardust
3rd December 2015, 03:45 AM
Her Xyz represented what she was during the entire series: A cheerleader. She could also have Winged Beasts in her Deck because of a Icarus Attack cameo if I remember.

Considering her own name, I think it is indeed likely that she might be playing a mix of Winged Beast and Fairy.

Too bad we only see the Fairy part. Fairy + Winged Beast sounds like an interesting mix considering currently there's no cards that tie both Types together.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
3rd December 2015, 04:37 AM
Kotori did not have potential to be wasted in the first place. She was there to be a token tsundere and fill the obligatory "main girl" slot of the series.

Dread Kaiser
3rd December 2015, 05:00 AM
Kotori did not have potential to be wasted in the first place. She was there to be a token tsundere and fill the obligatory "main girl" slot of the series.

Oh she had potential, EVERYONE had potential.
even in Yugioh, you don't need to play the card game regularly to be a good character, there are many ways to develop character. Actually going somewhere with the obligatory romance subplot for example, even if they give it an ending like Aki's

I think the most important think Kotori did was.....ugh...that stupid Black hole thing with Vector in Sargasso

Sanokal
3rd December 2015, 05:08 AM
even in Yugioh, you don't need to play the card game regularly to be a good character, there are many ways to develop character. Actually going somewhere with the obligatory romance subplot for example, even if they give it an ending like Aki's

I think the most important think Kotori did was.....ugh...that stupid Black hole thing with Vector in Sargasso

The problem with her is that she has a purpose but it's never needed. She snaps Yuma out of his funks four times in the entire series. The first two (the slap and the time at the dojo) were good, the third (the black hole) was fine, it's just that Yuma wasn't the problem, and against Nash it was just there. Whether this is a problem with her, Yuma, or both is up to the viewer.

Dread Kaiser
3rd December 2015, 05:20 AM
The problem with her is that she has a purpose but it's never needed. She snaps Yuma out of his funks four times in the entire series. The first two (the slap and the time at the dojo) were good, the third (the black hole) was fine, it's just that Yuma wasn't the problem, and against Nash it was just there. Whether this is a problem with her, Yuma, or both is up to the viewer.

I think the real reason she was around so much was the animators were lolicons or something
they went and gave us a fresh out of the shower-bathrobe shot for fucks sake.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
3rd December 2015, 05:21 AM

Can you indicate any specific potential for her?
Not trying to be snarky, just curious as to what you saw in her character.

For me, it's like.... she had green hair, which is nice, but the style is retarded, so...

Dread Kaiser
3rd December 2015, 05:40 AM
Can you indicate any specific potential for her?
Not trying to be snarky, just curious as to what you saw in her character.

For me, it's like.... she had green hair, which is nice, but the style is retarded, so...

Go to Episode 1 and you can say that about any real character

As mentioned, they could have had the obligatory romance subplot go somewhere....actually lets just make this easier

Characters develop by interacting with other characters. the full extent of her interactions was as follows

YUMA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I like Reaction shots, especially to awesome or horrifying shit, but thats something you have a faceless audience do or something, it should never be a characters primary contribution
by simply NOT doing that, development would be possible, but here is a scenario I can think of off the top of my head

At the beginning, Kotori was not a duelist. the point of her was to ask questions so the Newbie audience would get an explanation on how Tribute or Xyz summoning works. that and she liked Yuma, no shit.

then Cathy comes in (another glorious example of wasted potential). She also likes him and unlike her, she is actually useful, both as a duelist and as a plot ticket for fancy stuff (she was rich apparently). much Like Sherry did for Aki and Turbo Duels, She could have given Kotori the push to become a duelist, thus actually contribute something and maybe even get her own Number or something and then served as a Rival for her own subplot, like Masumi did for Yuzu.

Its a tiny example, but it would have been character development, and more importantly she'd have done something other then

YUMA!!!$$%$#%&$##*(!!!

continuing the result of this (her becoming a duelist and being competant) could have gone in quite a few directions. Given Yuma was a complete ....saying beginner is to nice and I want to scream RETARD right here, but lets try to stay objective and fair....

FUCKING RETARD (Nope, couldn't do it)
she could have been progressing WITH (albiet somewhat behind) him or gone off on her own with it, then the usual "I'm not good enough" shit when the Barians rolled in, leading to further upgrades. again, better then fucking

Y̷̵̵͔̰̥͙̣͚͖̘͙̺̻̙͢U̳͇̬̠̕͝ͅM̵̢̱̙̟͍̱̭̰͎̹̺̮̕ͅÀ̷͚͚̙̣͘͘ ̹̞̝!̵̧̭͇̺̪̙͍̥͓͚̪̗̬͖̯̥̼̼!̴̀͏̶͔̥̞̜̯̫̣̣̰͓!̧̬̝͎̬̤͖̝̣͓͞ ̬̬͖̞̲̦̰͚̭$̧̙̖͍̤͈͓̗̜̙̟̼̕͢ͅ$̯͓̼͇̰͙̥͜͟%̶̰̲͕̜̩͈̝͍̖͝͞͠͝ ̹͉̖͕̳͉$̷̵̘̩͇̙̙͙͎͍̻̦͚̞̞͙̹͇͢#̸͕̩͙̻͓̱̖̳̹̣͇̪̕͟ͅ%̦͘̕͜͜ͅ ̤̬͇̝̯̺̯͓͖̗̭̗̤̘̜ͅ&̠̺͈͍͉̺̮͈̮̱̭̺̘̱̞̕͠͞$̷̞̹̳̰̰͇̳̻͕̜̼̦̫͓̀͘#͏̛͏͎̥̜͚̳̗̖̟̗͍ ̘̼̫#̡̰̖͇̗͇̼̪̹͟͞*̨̰̳̹̦̻͕͎̪̣̭̻̤͈̬̝̗̺͠͠

And everything I said was basically the standard Shonen Plot track for the Side-kick characters

Get inspired by action to join action
Join action, help hero
get stronger with Hero

Sanokal
3rd December 2015, 06:19 AM
I think the real reason she was around so much was the animators were lolicons or something

Forget the animators, I just want to know which sick bugger designed the girls uniform at Heartland.

Never die
3rd December 2015, 06:56 AM

Not only they promoted her too much for no real reason.Putting her everywhere and i mean everywhere for no reason,when yuma joined the tournament she was there and there and there and what the fuck was the reason for being there in the final duels?When Cathy and the class president stayed behind because they would be of no help to begin with.As i mentioned putting her everywhere and this an example of too much promotion of herhttps://49.media.tumblr.com/669501d8bfdd69921b71bd806b4f61ff/tumblr_mmqnp4tg7D1qebxymo1_500.gif for some reason she has to hide her skirt but Rio is fine.

Dread Kaiser
3rd December 2015, 07:01 AM
Not only they promoted her too much for no real reason.Putting her everywhere and i mean everywhere for no reason,when yuma joined the tournament she was there and there and there and what the fuck was the reason for being there in the final duels?When Cathy and the class president stayed behind because they would be of no help to begin with.As i mentioned putting her everywhere and this an example of too much promotion of herhttps://49.media.tumblr.com/669501d8bfdd69921b71bd806b4f61ff/tumblr_mmqnp4tg7D1qebxymo1_500.gif for some reason she has to hide her skirt but Rio is fine.

Its saying something when the Astral World is LITERALLY THE ONLY FUCKING PLACE SHE DIDN'T SOMEHOW FOLLOW HIM ON

Pendulum
3rd December 2015, 10:09 AM

Kotori being in the roller coaster was... I will be sincere, I don't dislike Kotori as much as you guys (yeah, just hate me), but she could have had a way better role. She could have had an actual role, instead of just being there. She was more useless than Téa.

Amaryllis
3rd December 2015, 03:29 PM
The entire sidekick squad in ZEXAL. None of them played an actual deck and hardly ever dueled.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
3rd December 2015, 04:13 PM
Go to Episode 1 and you can say that about any real character

As mentioned, they could have had the obligatory romance subplot go somewhere....actually lets just make this easier

Characters develop by interacting with other characters. the full extent of her interactions was as follows

Now I like Reaction shots, especially to awesome or horrifying shit, but thats something you have a faceless audience do or something, it should never be a characters primary contribution
by simply NOT doing that, development would be possible, but here is a scenario I can think of off the top of my head

At the beginning, Kotori was not a duelist. the point of her was to ask questions so the Newbie audience would get an explanation on how Tribute or Xyz summoning works. that and she liked Yuma, no shit.

then Cathy comes in (another glorious example of wasted potential). She also likes him and unlike her, she is actually useful, both as a duelist and as a plot ticket for fancy stuff (she was rich apparently). much Like Sherry did for Aki and Turbo Duels, She could have given Kotori the push to become a duelist, thus actually contribute something and maybe even get her own Number or something and then served as a Rival for her own subplot, like Masumi did for Yuzu.

Its a tiny example, but it would have been character development, and more importantly she'd have done something other then

continuing the result of this (her becoming a duelist and being competant) could have gone in quite a few directions. Given Yuma was a complete ....saying beginner is to nice and I want to scream RETARD right here, but lets try to stay objective and fair....

FUCKING RETARD (Nope, couldn't do it)
she could have been progressing WITH (albiet somewhat behind) him or gone off on her own with it, then the usual "I'm not good enough" shit when the Barians rolled in, leading to further upgrades. again, better then fucking

And everything I said was basically the standard Shonen Plot track for the Side-kick characters

Get inspired by action to join action
Join action, help hero
get stronger with Hero
Ah, okay, fair point. I was more hung up on how she started off useful for nothing more than being the obligatory love interest, but if Zexal actually bothered with character development for most of their characters, then that would make her at least acceptable.

Thanako
3rd December 2015, 07:27 PM
Arc-V is still ongoing, but my vote goes to Mieru. Of course, that's just as well that I know why she won't be a major character. (fun fact; the seiyuu did one of the openings for ZeXal, and is thus pretty expensive to do voiceover work)

The side crew in DM needed more love, I suppose. GX was satisfying for me. So was 5D's. Was never a fan of ZeXal, it started too slow and really didn't have a satisfying ending. The middle didn't really make up for it to me, but you're fine to love it.

EDIT: Laughing at the Kotori stuff. She is at least not a big-boobed character serving little purpose like the last 3 YGO series.

Dread Kaiser
3rd December 2015, 07:36 PM
Arc-V is still ongoing, but my vote goes to Mieru. Of course, that's just as well that I know why she won't be a major character. (fun fact; the seiyuu did one of the openings for ZeXal, and is thus pretty expensive to do voiceover work)

The side crew in DM needed more love, I suppose. GX was satisfying for me. So was 5D's. Was never a fan of ZeXal, it started too slow and really didn't have a satisfying ending. The middle didn't really make up for it to me, but you're fine to love it.

EDIT: Laughing at the Kotori stuff. She is at least not a big-boobed character serving little purpose like the last 3 YGO series.

they could have atleast put her chest in the Every-episode reaction shot to make it SOMEWHAT easier to look at....

No just a close-up of her face on a technicolor background....I guess even teh animators got sick of doing that shot so often

Volteccer
3rd December 2015, 08:27 PM
No just a close-up of her face on a technicolor background....I guess even teh animators got sick of doing that shot so often

I'm surprised it wasn't stock footage, with her yelling on the sound effects board.

Brightshine Stardust
8th December 2015, 03:05 AM

The thing that made her expensive wasn't the opening though, it was her previous role.

But yeah, Mieru is a wasted character.

Lightning Laxus
8th December 2015, 09:35 PM
Dr. Fudo.
Jack Atlas (Season 2). (His character development from Season 1 was AMAZING. How dare you tarnish it!)
Luca/Lua (Season 2) + Duel Academia students. (Dammit. You wasted our time with filler episodes for a side-story that you decided to skip!)
Aki (Season 2). (She lost an entire arc of character development based on the Arcadia Movement because of issues with cults at the time. Also, Iliaster was re-written into time travelers from the future because cult issues.)
Carly (Season 2). (Her voice actor was involved with one of the cults, so ... character was reduced. Still doesn't mean they didn't waste Carly's character.)
Kiryu (Season 2). (What?)
Demak (Season 2). (Who?)
Misty (Season 2). (Where?)
Bomber (Season 2). (Meh.)
Iliaster guy who contacted Rutger.
Ushio (Season 2).

Team Unicorn.
Team Ragnarok.
Paradox. (WHY DIDN'T Z-ONE RE-BUILD YOU, BUT REBUILD APORIA TWICE?)
Sherry.

Yuuri
8th December 2015, 11:26 PM
5D's:
One character that comes to mind is Aki Izayoi. She was such an important character to the 5D's plot, and was the first strong, independent female protagonist in the YGO series. Then as the series progressed, Akiza's importance to the series diminished greatly. Towards the end of the series, she may as well have been a side character.

DM:
Another one I can think of is Ishizu Ishtar. She played a relatively important role in the first series. She was exceptionally skilled as a duelist, independent, strong, determined, and had unwavering loyalty toward her convictions; many traits other female characters lacked. It was a shame that she did not become part of the main cast.

GX:
I honestly believe Ed Phoenix could have played a larger role in the series. Yes, his backstory was rather important to the second season's plot, but he never seemed as if he was a main character. Instead, he served more of a plot device, at least that is how I see it.

Another for the GX series would be Fubuki Tenjoin (Atticus Rhodes). He first debuted as an antagonist, and was later demoted to a side character. I believe he had much more potential to be part of the main cast than a side character because, while using his Red-Eyes deck, he was more serious and a formidable opponent. In the end, Fubuki served as a side character after his defeat, and was later reused as a plot device.

ARC-V:
In the case of ARC-V, even if it is ongoing, I hate what they are doing to Yuzu and her character. She first started out as a main character and slowly devolved into a plot device all while maintaining her status as the former. By that, I mean she was strong and independent as a female lead. But as the series progressed, she has become the hackneyed "damsel-in-distress" plot device that is seen in most "shounen" anime. Hopefully, her status of "main character" is redeemed by the end of the Synchro Dimension Arc. If not, all hope for her is lost.

ZEXAL:
As far as I am concerned, there are not any female characters in ZEXAL that had any potential. None of them are worth salvaging.

Notice there are mostly female characters?

KingJinzo
9th December 2015, 12:17 AM
It's weird how you put Aki's dub first name together with her original last name, while you call the rest of the your mentioned characters by their original names.

Yuuri
9th December 2015, 01:10 AM
It's weird how you put Aki's dub first name together with her original last name, while you call the rest of the your mentioned characters by their original names.

I thought for sure it was "Akiza," not "Aki." Generally, the dub has a tendency to shorten names for convenience, but it was the opposite in this case.

Also, I have not seen the series in forever, so...

Anyways, editing.

Dread Kaiser
9th December 2015, 01:19 AM
I thought for sure it was "Akiza," not "Aki." Generally, the dub has a tendency to shorten names for convenience, but it was the opposite in this case.

Also, I have not seen the series in forever, so...

Anyways, editing.

ok, next bitch to dub.....Aki...Aki? thats WAY TO FUCKING SHORT, Murican names need 5 letters. throw in a "Z", kids like that letter a lot more then its bitch cousin "s". oh and aaaahhhh, oh "A" yeah that one too and call it done
4Kids's name dubbing process

Yuuri
9th December 2015, 01:34 AM

...Yeah, always the female characters that have to suffer. It has almost gotten to the point where one could say that the producers are sexist. Of course, I guess the producers believe that the show does not need decent female protagonists, because YGO is a series mainly targeted towards the male demography.

Dread Kaiser
9th December 2015, 01:39 AM
...Yeah, always the female characters that have to suffer. It has almost gotten to the point where one could say that Konami is sexist.

Credit where due, Konami is NOT the ones writing the show or the characters. they just publish the IRL Card game and oversee its related events, nothing more.
Can't Blame the writers too much for this one either (well you can for Kotori and PrtII Aki and Luna, THAT was unforgivable) as this is a Shonen Anime here. Well-written and Developed Female characters are not exactly what their target Demographic cares about

LolsterXD97
9th December 2015, 01:51 AM

And for a certain name:
http://img03.deviantart.net/4fa8/i/2015/012/2/b/yugioh_zexal___durbe_by_probablyimpossible-d8dpuqo.jpg

Dread Kaiser
9th December 2015, 01:57 AM
And for a certain name:
http://img03.deviantart.net/4fa8/i/2015/012/2/b/yugioh_zexal___durbe_by_probablyimpossible-d8dpuqo.jpg

I needed that

Yuuri
9th December 2015, 02:27 AM
Credit where due, Konami is NOT the ones writing the show or the characters. they just publish the IRL Card game and oversee its related events, nothing more.
Can't Blame the writers too much for this one either (well you can for Kotori and PrtII Aki and Luna, THAT was unforgivable) as this is a Shonen Anime here. Well-written and Developed Female characters are not exactly what their target Demographic cares about

Today, I have made it evident that I am, in fact, not perfect. You are right, 4Kids was to blame for Aki's name change. As far as poor female leads go, I guess the Shonen demography only cares about good male leads, hence shonen.

Well-written and Developed Female characters are not exactly what their target Demographic cares about

Then why add the character at all?! I mean, I do not expect every character in a series to play an important part; that would be asinine. But if you (in general) are going to introduce a character and have it appear as often as the main protagonist in a series, then it stands to reason that the character is a "main character." And like all protagonists, there needs to be character development.

...Oh, I know.

To hell with having strong female protagonists, let's just throw in another handful of male characters. It is not like the series cannot make a harem out of what it already has to begin with... /sarcasm

I will edit my last post to correct the mistake.

Dread Kaiser
9th December 2015, 04:11 AM
because all male cast isn't good either

Female characters need to be there, they just aren't expected to be as well done as the male characters. don't mistake that for being unecessary, shit like Kotori is unforgivable no matter what, but taking not dominate roles is the norm

Yuuri
9th December 2015, 04:47 AM
because all male cast isn't good either

Female characters need to be there, they just aren't expected to be as well done as the male characters. don't mistake that for being unecessary, shit like Kotori is unforgivable no matter what, but taking not dominate roles is the norm

Even if the male cast is not great or perfect, they sure as hell get far more unnecessary attention.

Who is Kotori? do not answer.

KingJinzo
9th December 2015, 09:43 AM
Female lead characters are often used as love interests and miss fanservice. Yuzu is the only one who got fanservice only once. And I'm don't fully agree with your current view on Yuzu. Even though she lost to Sergey to advance the plot, Yuzu plays a major role in getting Sora to the good side. She constantly reminds him that he's now at her and the Lancers' side and that he doesn't belong to Academia anymore. She's convincing enough that even Tsukikage is trusting them. Yeah, she needed help from Sora because she crashed into a building and didn't have a Duel Disk, but once she got a Duel Disk, she and Sora kicked asses. And even without a Duel Disk, she still tries to protect children despite being helpless, which is also a strong point of her character. Yuzu has proven several times that she doesn't need to be a good duelist to be a good character, but the fact that she's a decent duelist and her desire to improve herself makes her even better. I don't remember Asuka and Aki desiring to improve their skills at any point (we got Aki's Riding Duel sub-plot, but we know what happened after).

Speaking of fanservice, here are some memorable fanservice moments:
Anzu: being grabbed my mechanical hands (manga only), bikini moments (both, manga and anime; for those who remember it in the anime, remember Mai being trapped inside a sand/centipede hourglass)
Asuka: hot bath, dress costumes, Harpie cosplay
Aki: Riding Duel outfit, flying in her bathing suit
Kotori: tomato commercial, mini-skirt (so, a walking miss fanservice)
Yuzu: Rin's sleeping clothes

Sanokal
9th December 2015, 10:36 AM
Female lead characters are often used as love interests and miss fanservice. Yuzu is the only one who got fanservice only once. And I'm don't fully agree with your current view on Yuzu. Even though she lost to Sergey to advance the plot, Yuzu plays a major role in getting Sora to the good side. She constantly reminds him that he's now at her and the Lancers' side and that he doesn't belong to Academia anymore. She's convincing enough that even Tsukikage is trusting them. Yeah, she needed help from Sora because she crashed into a building and didn't have a Duel Disk, but once she got a Duel Disk, she and Sora kicked asses. And even without a Duel Disk, she still tries to protect children despite being helpless, which is also a strong point of her character. Yuzu has proven several times that she doesn't need to be a good duelist to be a good character, but the fact that she's a decent duelist and her desire to improve herself makes her even better. I don't remember Asuka and Aki desiring to improve their skills at any point (we got Aki's Riding Duel sub-plot, but we know what happened after).

Speaking of fanservice, here are some memorable fanservice moments:
Anzu: being grabbed my mechanical hands (manga only), bikini moments (both, manga and anime; for those who remember it in the anime, remember Mai being trapped inside a sand/centipede hourglass)
Asuka: hot bath, dress costumes, Harpie cosplay
Aki: Riding Duel outfit, flying in her bathing suit
Kotori: tomato commercial, mini-skirt (so, a walking miss fanservice)
Yuzu: Rin's sleeping clothes

Honestly it was less that Zuzu was defeated because she was a girl and more that she lost because she was unfortunate enough to be facing Sergey.

Brightshine Stardust
5th January 2016, 04:16 AM
As i mentioned putting her everywhere and this an example of too much promotion of herhttps://49.media.tumblr.com/669501d8bfdd69921b71bd806b4f61ff/tumblr_mmqnp4tg7D1qebxymo1_500.gif for some reason she has to hide her skirt but Rio is fine.

For that one, I feel like Rio just doesn't care :p