PDA

View Full Version : Magic: The Gathering General Discussion

NeoArkadia
9th September 2015, 10:57 PM
General Discussion Goes Here

VoicesOfChaos
10th September 2015, 08:31 AM
Since I am nearly as obsessed with MTG as I am Yugioh I an start us off. What new spoilers from Battle For Zendikar is everyone excited for? Course I am excited for the big cool Mythics liek Ulamog, Ob Nixilis, Kiora, and Omnath but the card I am most excited for is actually just the uncommon Hedron Archive. I loved Dreamstone Hedron a lot and getting something between it and Mind Stone is great for non-Green and non-Blue decks that want more mana and more draws. Another card I like a lot is a card many are calling a terrible bulk rare, Niisa's Renewal.

As another disscussion point. As a fan of both games I accept there are many things one game does better than the other. What are some thing you wish Yugioh would do more like Magic? What are some thing you wish Magic would do more like Yugioh?

Caam
10th September 2015, 02:46 PM
I'll admit that I ended up cancelling my box order for BFZ. I was SUPER hype after the PAX reveal, but honestly so far the set design seems very "safe" and not radical enough. This is coming from an EDH player who would LOVE to have some super radical cards to use, but there hasn't been anything standard playable.

I read a really good article here (http://blog.killgoldfish.com/2015/09/battle-for-zendikar-first-look-mechanics.html) about how lame the new Devoid mechanic is. Honestly, this guy hits it right on the head: It seems like an easy way out, it's not exciting or flavorful, and it doesn't really add anything to the constructed or limited environment. I know we only have about 1/2 of the set spoiled right now but honestly it's been really disappointing. I'll be getting a couple of fat packs to get the full art basics, but yeah. Lame set so far compared to all the hype.

I wish Yugioh would have a judge program that actually trains their judges, and an R&D department that actually issued rulings for confusing situations. In Magic there is NEVER an issue of "The HJ said that this card works this way but only for this event". Yugioh's PSCT works great most of the time, but when it doesn't it's a complete and utter breakdown. Magic solves that problem by having officially issued rulings, as well as countless sources to get your rulings solved (the Judge Chat being the main one that comes to mind) In addition, Wizards updates their old card texts with the latest trends in wording so players can easily determine how a card is supposed to work.

Thanako
10th September 2015, 09:03 PM
Technically Magic the Gathering was my first card game. Even before I played with the standard suit decks, I was involved with Magic. You see, YGO never really caught on in Russia, but Magic did. It also helps a whole lot that I am very fond of the artists involved with the game, such as John Howe. I haven't really kept up with the game in like... 4 or 5 years, though. I would have to agree that it is managed far better than YGO, but my falling out came from that absolutely nobody that I knew played the game anymore. Perhaps I'll have to pick it up again.

Sakuya
11th September 2015, 02:28 AM
There's always cockatrice, it's like that really old program for yugioh before dueling network came along. Everything manual, no animations, but you're free to do whatever you want

Caam
14th September 2015, 02:38 PM
The nice thing about Cockatrice is that the developers are very active. They really reach out to the community and like helping. I was developing a Kaijudo plugin for Cockatrice for them, but had to stop due to IRL circumstances.

LeTourGuide
17th September 2015, 02:25 PM
I read a really good article here (http://blog.killgoldfish.com/2015/09/battle-for-zendikar-first-look-mechanics.html) about how lame the new Devoid mechanic is.

Mark Rosewater explained this at PAX. He said that having Devoid means you get to keep the colorless creatures without having a messed up color pie.

Caam
17th September 2015, 06:52 PM
Mark Rosewater explained this at PAX. He said that having Devoid means you get to keep the colorless creatures without having a messed up color pie.

I was watching PAX too. Even if Devoid fixes the color pie issue, it's a) not a particularly interesting mechanic, and b) seems like a cop-out way to provide cohesion between strategies. We'll have to see the commons and uncommons from the set, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of these colorless cards don't have anything that makes them colorless other than the word "Devoid". There's no extra flavor added, and only a small amount of synergy added - who wants to play a 5color manabase? Not even having Tangos and Fetches in Standard will make that viable.

LeTourGuide
18th September 2015, 07:26 AM
I see what you mean.

SynjoDeonecros
9th May 2016, 02:23 AM
So, I don't usually play Magic, but since there wasn't any comics at Free Comic Book Day that interested me, and they were giving out free random pre-built 30-card decks for the game, I figured I'd get two. My boyfriend got one, of the same color as one of mine, but he got a nearly totally different set of cards than I did, which is weird.

Volteccer
9th May 2016, 03:10 PM
My boyfriend got one, of the same color as one of mine, but he got a nearly totally different set of cards than I did, which is weird.

That's because their card pool is gigantic, the color system is generic enough that combining cards of the same color gives a vague but coherent strategy, and set rotation means they don't have as much power creep, so several year old cards are still pretty playable.

SynjoDeonecros
9th May 2016, 03:31 PM
Don't they regularly ban entire sets from Magic with each update? I heard that was the case, a while back, but I can't remember from where...

DelCtrl
9th May 2016, 06:05 PM
Don't they regularly ban entire sets from Magic with each update? I heard that was the case, a while back, but I can't remember from where...

In the T2 format they rotate sets, but there is Modern Format, where it is pretty much like Yu-gi-oh! and every card is valid, except for a small banlist I think (not so sure on that last bit).

Volteccer
9th May 2016, 06:29 PM
In the T2 format they rotate sets, but there is Modern Format, where it is pretty much like Yu-gi-oh! and every card is valid, except for a small banlist I think (not so sure on that last bit).

There's a few formats. Standard limits you to the last two years of cards. Modern goes back to 2000-ish, I think. And there's Legacy, which is every card, but with a banned/restricted list. And there's one that doesn't even have that, that I forget the name of.

SynjoDeonecros
10th May 2016, 07:29 PM
I see. How odd. So, it's not like Yugioh, where there's like two formats for the TCG, but one of them is usually ignored by everyone. Are there tournaments for all of these formats, or just Standard?

DelCtrl
10th May 2016, 08:35 PM
I see. How odd. So, it's not like Yugioh, where there's like two formats for the TCG, but one of them is usually ignored by everyone. Are there tournaments for all of these formats, or just Standard?

Around here, there's both Standard and Modern tournaments, sometimes Legacy and Commander, so I would guess that the same applies elsewhere.

SynjoDeonecros
18th May 2016, 03:04 AM
Hmm. Well, I don't know about my boyfriend's White deck, but my White deck seems to be based around gaining life and pumping up Ajani's Pridemate with said life gain, and the Black deck seems to be vampiric-based, powering up monsters when the opponent takes damage, and lowering their monsters' stats. Is this typical for these colors?

Volteccer
18th May 2016, 01:03 PM
Hmm. Well, I don't know about my boyfriend's White deck, but my White deck seems to be based around gaining life and pumping up Ajani's Pridemate with said life gain, and the Black deck seems to be vampiric-based, powering up monsters when the opponent takes damage, and lowering their monsters' stats. Is this typical for these colors?

Yep! Those are all things those colors normally do.

Ciphermask
2nd August 2016, 03:13 AM
I know these sections hardly get used, but I'd like to pose a question to anyone here who also plays mtg.

What's your favorite color or color combination? I myself am pretty big on Black with Black/Green being my favorite combination.