PDA

View Full Version : ARC-V Episode 78 Discussion

Cheesedude
16th October 2015, 05:45 AM
Kindly try to keep complaining about "X new Performapals? WHAT?" to a minimum.

Anyway, Yuya Duels Shinji but is apparently distracted by not knowing if Zuzu is alright. Someone, presumably Sora, then appears. Yay, vague summaries.

Apparently, a lot of people hate Shinji. I was unaware of this until recently. His episode was my favorite out of the entire Synchro arc, though some of that did have to do with Tsukikage. Even so, I'm interested to see if this revolution thing goes anywhere. It has the potential to go horribly right and just swap the positions of the Tops and the Commons. I'm pretty disappointing he's Dueling Yuya, I was expecting Shinji to make the Top 4, actually. Ah well. Just hope its a good duel, at least its two episodes.

Insert MGS3 reference here.

ScionStorm
16th October 2015, 06:42 AM
Shinji, how can I say this,

Hate is a strong word,
but I really, really, really don't like you.

HelixReactor
16th October 2015, 06:55 AM
Huh. I didn't know people hated Shinji either..

I mean, sure, he is pretty rebellious and all, and his deck's theme kinda contradicts his desires of change, so unless he does have some hidden motives behind his angry teenager attitude (and who would blame for being so pissed off?), I don't see why people would hate him (Redirect your hate on Melissa instead o3o)..

In any case, whatever he has in mind, the power of Smiles will be stronger. And his fate past his loss against Yuya would be interesting to discuss.

Mystic TimeKeeper
16th October 2015, 06:58 AM
When you diss our Yuzu-chan surely we ain't just letting you off the hook #BurnTheBees #YuzuBestWaifu.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
16th October 2015, 02:03 PM
Regardless of spoilers, you know he's doomed to lose because he's one of those characters who disagrees with the protagonist but is not important enough to be a major villain, or at least a rival.

So much for the people's revolution. ;_;

Akaba Fedoreiji
16th October 2015, 02:15 PM
Shinji might not have been so bad, if he didn't have such a tendency to drone on ...

In all seriousness, I'm really not a Shinji fan either. I mean, his points are valid but his attitude when he gets all pumped up is just slightly too obnoxious for my taste. I think the revolution is cool, and the notion of a 1 : 99 wealth split is absolutely impossible in any case, but he was such a moron towards Tsukikage (who we all know is the most professional of the Lancers).

On the subject of the anime, I listened to my dub rendition. Needless to say, I was not impressed.

Mystic TimeKeeper
16th October 2015, 03:24 PM
I remember people complaining at Yuya for being too narrow-minded and one-sidedly forcing his own ideals unto other people.

I say Shinji got this way worse than Yuya.

Akaba Fedoreiji
16th October 2015, 03:32 PM
I remember people complaining at Yuya for being too narrow-minded and one-sidedly forcing his own ideals unto other people.

I must say that I never personally suggested Yuya to be a good character; quite the contrary, right now his character development is an absolute mess. But I genuinely do dislike Shinji.

KingJinzo
16th October 2015, 04:18 PM
I hate Shinji's rebellious view. While it's not alright that the Tops dominate the Commons so much, he obviously don't realize what the consequences of a rebellion will be. And he simply wants to overthrown them, meaning that the Tops would live in the slums while the Commons will be the rich ones. And then, the riches Commons will be the next Tops and declare the not so wealthy and poor Commons and the new "Bottoms", along with the previous Tops.

Akaba Fedoreiji
16th October 2015, 04:34 PM
He's an idealist, not a pragmatist. That is why the likes of me succeed in this world.

Cheesedude
16th October 2015, 04:36 PM
So it sounds like most of the dislike is for the exact same reason as why some of us like him.

Dread Kaiser
16th October 2015, 04:37 PM
Spoiler
Shinji is real big bad of Synchro

I have no real opinion of Shinji one way or the other....kinda uninteresting to me

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
16th October 2015, 04:54 PM

Kind of the point of a radical, violent revolutionary. I mean, it doesn't really make sense for Shun to hold the attitude of "I mean I guess we could show Academia some mercy and find some diplomatic middle ground." No, Shun wants utterly to crush Academia by whatever means possible, and Shinji is the same way. Can't really have a moderate if that's what their goals are, can we?

I hate Shinji's rebellious view. While it's not alright that the Tops dominate the Commons so much, he obviously don't realize what the consequences of a rebellion will be. And he simply wants to overthrown them, meaning that the Tops would live in the slums while the Commons will be the rich ones. And then, the riches Commons will be the next Tops and declare the not so wealthy and poor Commons and the new "Bottoms", along with the previous Tops.

He doesn't even have a plan for establishing a new government. It would just be anarchy if he got his way, because he doesn't have a revolutionary party or any for of leadership to assume power once they brought down the Executive Council. He's blindly putting forth some vaguely Marxist ideology without having any sort of plan to execute it beyond "Down with Tops!" And I honestly think the results would be fantastic.

Sotavento
16th October 2015, 05:42 PM
Shinji just wants power, that is all. That's what his deck represents: the reckless and arbitrary use of power to crush your opponent. Bees are fucking organized as fuck and they all serve the queen. He wants to be that Queen Bee and govern over everyone.

Zarkiel
16th October 2015, 06:43 PM
Looking forward to more bee force stuff. I'm curious if they'll show more swarm tactics, because all he had to swarm before was all out rebellion, which is great if the deck is float.dek. I also like how bee force basically has the first level 12 synchro monster with the most generic synchro requirements.

Crow the BOOLET
16th October 2015, 06:58 PM
I like Shinji for his deck but gosh darn won't he ever listen to anyone?

I felt like he wasn't really caring what Tsukikage was saying and now he doesn't seem to care that Yuya's friend is potentially dead. Sheese.

All hail our queen bee everyone!

Akaba Fedoreiji
16th October 2015, 07:21 PM
I think I concur with Boolet on this one. He's so single-mindedly focused on stirring up a revolution that he seems to have lost his values as a person. Not to mention that his lack of any notable character development means he's so ridiculously boring!

If you ask me, he should really be going up against Crow in the top 8. I don't think I need to state how much potential that would have.

Mystic TimeKeeper
16th October 2015, 07:22 PM
Kind of the point of a radical, violent revolutionary. I mean, it doesn't really make sense for Shun to hold the attitude of "I mean I guess we could show Academia some mercy and find some diplomatic middle ground." No, Shun wants utterly to crush Academia by whatever means possible, and Shinji is the same way. Can't really have a moderate if that's what their goals are, can we?
It's not as much as a moderation problem, more a "I have no idea how Shinji believes what he is doing will function in whatsoever way" matter.

When Shun is involved his goal is to rescure Ruri and possibly burn Academia to the ground, I say it is pretty straightforward, aside the part where he plans to invade the enemy nation alone I have no qualms about his objective and his reasons.

When Shinji is involved, he complains that the system is wrong, but he speaks true to that system, and all he can think of as a solution is to swap the roles of Commons and Tops. Great. The best way to resolve social conflict is to throw the wealthy into misery and basically return to the start point. Pretty much a fanatic to me.

Heck, I'll go as far as to say that considering the massive amount of constant useless bitching we make regularly on this site, Shinji is the hero we don't need but we really DO deserve him.

ScionStorm
16th October 2015, 07:32 PM

Yuya is like a public speaker trying to persuade the world of a better way of life.

shinji is that guy one step away from dropping homemade bombs in a public buildings to declare revolution.

Akaba Fedoreiji
16th October 2015, 07:34 PM
He doesn't have the foresight for any of us to justify his integrity as a revolutionary, though. We've already acknowledged that he wouldn't understand the consequences of pursuing his goals to the end: the 99% commons will fight one another, as well as the former tops, for the entirety of the wealth once held by such a tiny fraction of the populace. The notion is ridiculous: it is practically impossible that sharing out the wealth of the tops will allow for a sustainable society with fairness for all. As a result there will emerge yet another civil war between factions to secure wealth which, under Shinji's ambitions, would have been spread impossibly thin. All that would result from that would be the reformation of the same extreme class system that City already has.

Shinji's runaway pipe dreams are going to cause more misery than they will prosperity, but he cannot see the truth. Thus, why should I recognise him as an admirable character? And if I cannot do that, I can only either not care about him or dislike him.

Mystic TimeKeeper
16th October 2015, 07:36 PM
Actually I almost pitied him. Then he talked trash about Yuzu and now I'm waiting for him to be double-bladed into oblivion.

KingKaash
16th October 2015, 11:06 PM
Apparently, a lot of people hate Shinji. I was unaware of this until recently. His episode was my favorite out of the entire Synchro arc, though some of that did have to do with Tsukikage. Even so, I'm interested to see if this revolution thing goes anywhere. It has the potential to go horribly right and just swap the positions of the Tops and the Commons. I'm pretty disappointing he's Dueling Yuya, I was expecting Shinji to make the Top 4, actually. Ah well. Just hope its a good duel, at least its two episodes.

Insert MGS3 reference here.

Is Shinji suppose to be like Yusei's replacement in this series? They do have somewhat similar hair color. I know Crow is going to follow his role of being a friend of the leader. And so the guy he follows is Shinji. If Shinji is Yusei's replacement then screw that, his Bees are nowhere close to as interesting as Stardust Dragon

Crow the BOOLET
17th October 2015, 01:07 AM
Is Shinji suppose to be like Yusei's replacement in this series? They do have somewhat similar hair color. I know Crow is going to follow his role of being a friend of the leader. And so the guy he follows is Shinji. If Shinji is Yusei's replacement then screw that, his Bees are nowhere close to as interesting as Stardust Dragon

There's too little information about Yusei and a bunch of theories regarding him. And yes while I did think that Shinji was Arc V's Yusei for a while, when his episode came out I honestly don't think they're the same person at all. Yusei wouldn't outright shout rebellion no matter how dire the situation was and would rather find a different solution to the problem.

From my personal theories about Yusei is that he's either a scientist for the Tops who hasn't been involved due to his work, stuck in the Facility unable to face Jack again like he did in 5Ds, or just not in this universe.

I did find something pretty interesting in the Leo Duel School's Curriculum (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Leo_Institute_of_Dueling) as it mentions Yusei by name (last name anyways) while the rest references the other series indirectly (eg. Super Fusion). It may or may not be canon but its an interesting footnote.

Cheesedude
17th October 2015, 01:29 AM
Its one of those freeze-frame bonuses. Its an in-joke, just being a reference to Synchro plays having been made fun of as playing solitaire when they first came out and Yusei himself since, yeah, he does that.

The Xyz course has a "Special Card Changing Course", which is obviously a Re-Contract Universe reference and the Fusion course references Super Fusion.

I don't think any of them are meant to be taken seriously, or really, even seen at all.

That being said each of them makes me laugh and I'm happy those references are there.

Blue
17th October 2015, 01:56 AM
I can't wait for shinjis upcoming skewering

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
17th October 2015, 04:47 AM
When Shinji is involved, he complains that the system is wrong, but he speaks true to that system, and all he can think of as a solution is to swap the roles of Commons and Tops. Great. The best way to resolve social conflict is to throw the wealthy into misery and basically return to the start point. Pretty much a fanatic to me.
I see it slightly differently; rather than swapping roles (which is utterly impossible with a 99:1 population difference), I interpret it as him just dragging down Tops to Commons' level. His ideals do seem communistic, but his plan of action seems more anarchistic. Perhaps the whole reason we don't see him as having a plan for reforming the Shitty government is precisely because he wants to establish anarchy.

That being said, for me, the ideals are only part of his appeal. The fact that if he "succeeds," he'd be doomed to failure is an intriguing development in and of itself. Furthermore, I'm more inclined to cheer him on, because, well, let's look at the motivations of other characters, and especially denizens of Synchro:

Yuya: "dyueru de egao" - Childish and boring.
Chojiro: "ENJOY!" - Not like we have dearth of such characters in the show.
Yugo: "Become a Tops like Jack. Oh yeah and gotta find Rin." - Okay, but he lacks the determination (iron resolve/steeled strength/whatever) that Shun famously demonstrates in his quest.
Frenchwin: "Turn the Shiti into my kingdom!" - He's not fit to be a king and considering how gratuitous he is with straight up mind control, it's very obvious what kind of leader he'd be.
Sergey: "Blow shit up and kill duelists." - Get in line behind the rest of the sociopaths that we've got. (Granted he wants destruction for the sake of destruction, rather than some practical end.)
Executive Council: "Maintain status quo." - Boring and shitty, considering how corrupt the status quo is.
Jack: Maintain Status quo? Just keep looking forlorn without a Yusei? - Really not clear here; he seems to be little more than a fanservicey cameo were it not for the fact that he's set up as a rival character for Yuya to defeat.
Crow: "Take care of the kids." - Yeah that's noble and all but it's very narrow minded. Also seems like a cameo, even moreso than Jack.
Shinji: "Fuck Tops! Revolution now!" - Finally something exciting!

The implications of Shinji furthering in his goals set the plot in a direction that offers more potential than the success of other characters (since we're avoiding Academia for now). And the Shitty is a horrifically corrupt society on so many levels, that I think fuck it, let it all burn completely. It almost seems a requisite to be an asshole to become a member of Tops; there are straight up zero sympathetic characters, except Jack, arguably, and even then you can't deny that he is an asshole. Hell, even the Commons aren't exactly portrayed in a flattering light, with only named characters demonstrating any sort of reedeeming qualities. The entire culture of the city is rotten from top to bottom, so watching it collapse on itself would be cathartic. Shinji facilitating that makes me want to cheer him on more than other characters.

Passerby
18th October 2015, 05:06 AM
I agree about City having issues. I think they tried too hard to make Synchro the neutral "leave us alone" member of the group. Instead, it resulted in an overly corrupt leadership and a rotten society. Yusei would be rolling in his grave. That having been said, it's kind of a bummer since one of Reiji's main intentions was to find potential allies in synchro. Really the only ones we can speak for are Yugo and possibly Crow. Shinji strikes me as more of a, "I only care about my home" person like Shun. He may even revel in the place's destruction before his -at that point very likely- carding. Yugo's kind of pointless to bring up too since it's incredibly likely that he's going to get absorbed like Yuto. That leaves Crow, who people have already voiced their sentiments for. Sort of feels like we should've gotten at least one more person to round things out. Preferably 2. Then we could pick up a person or two more from Xyz before the big finish. To be fair, there were only so many tournament slots, and I'd say Sergey's brutal and hype victory over Yuzu earned him his slot (no matter how messed up that was).

That having been said, since Yuya's going to be amping up for his first Synchro summon, something's been bugging me since the first D-Wheel introduction scene from Unleash: Stardust Dragon's in the opening with RDA (or presumably at this point- Scarlight Red Dragon Archfiend). As such, do you think we'll at least see Arc-V Stardust for the big finish in this dimension?

Mystic TimeKeeper
18th October 2015, 07:48 AM
Somewhere I'm still hoping for a Yusei cameo at the very end. Something like recruiting him but just for the final battle.

ScionStorm
18th October 2015, 08:29 AM
Chojiro is the only new character from this season I actually care about and like. I hope he continues as a character throughout the series.

Passerby
18th October 2015, 08:30 AM
Part of me deep inside is hoping for Yusei, but at this point, I think he'd have had at least some kind of badass few seconds of screen time at least once or twice to prove he's here. Like secretly running around dodging security, hacking into computers to find out what's going on, or at the very least: escaping a high-security cell like a badass since Roger thought he was too dangerous for his plans.

As far as the episode goes, any guesses as to what kind of plays the two will make during this duel? I'm really interested to see where Yuya goes as a duelist since Jaden got some of his more interesting stuff during his dark phase.

Damn. Totally forgot about Chojiro. He would make a good ally.

Blue
18th October 2015, 09:02 AM
oh my god. half of the episode was Shinji talking.

How boring.

Jeaus/DarkMaelstrom
18th October 2015, 09:54 AM
Shinji might not have been so bad, if he didn't have such a tendency to drone on ...

In all seriousness, I'm really not a Shinji fan either. I mean, his points are valid but his attitude when he gets all pumped up is just slightly too obnoxious for my taste. I think the revolution is cool, and the notion of a 1 : 99 wealth split is absolutely impossible in any case, but he was such a moron towards Tsukikage (who we all know is the most professional of the Lancers).

On the subject of the anime, I listened to my dub rendition. Needless to say, I was not impressed.

Not too false in the U.S. Not really 1:99 but still pretty bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

Mystic TimeKeeper
18th October 2015, 10:26 AM
I admit that the preview made Shinji look like a complete asshole, but in the episode he wasn't unreasonable at all.

I guess that happens when you take people's lines and put them out of context.

Jeaus/DarkMaelstrom
18th October 2015, 11:04 AM
I admit that the preview made Shinji look like a complete asshole, but in the episode he wasn't unreasonable at all.

I guess that happens when you take people's lines and put them out of context.

I mean he was still kind of an A-hole for not even trying to calm Yuuya down or saying "Oh I hope your Waifu is okay," and for using his duel with Yuuya as a platform for his political views (because Bah, politics) but not as bad as the previews showed.

Delerious1
18th October 2015, 02:37 PM

I see what you did there.

Torrendous
18th October 2015, 03:19 PM
Melissa, Yuya and the audience are still underestimating monsters with low stats.

You all literally just witnessed a match where someone was brutally crushed by a guy who used low-ATK monsters. This is unbelievable.

Sotavento
18th October 2015, 04:21 PM
I had forgotten how good was Sora at parkour.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
18th October 2015, 05:13 PM
Even though I had only the vaguest notion of what he was saying, Shinji's hamming is pretty amusing.

Crow the BOOLET
18th October 2015, 05:53 PM
Sergey looked like he was having a lot of fun being pelted by spider webs. Those really didn't look very effective to be honest.

Shinji was talking a lot too. I think he should write a book once this is all done and over.

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
18th October 2015, 06:44 PM
The Commduelist Manifesto?

KingJinzo
18th October 2015, 07:23 PM
I predict how Yuya will win the duel. Tuning Magician will increase the gap between Yuya and Shinji's life points. Enlightenment Paladin will recycle Gap Power, thus his Flame Wingman effect will end the duel. So no Odd-Eyes, huh? I would rather see Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon crushing him to the ground, so he would stop disobeying the Tops for a few hours. Would be ironic.

Mystic TimeKeeper
18th October 2015, 08:18 PM
I predict how Yuya will win the duel. Tuning Magician will increase the gap between Yuya and Shinji's life points. Enlightenment Paladin will recycle Gap Power, thus his Flame Wingman effect will end the duel. So no Odd-Eyes, huh? I would rather see Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon crushing him to the ground, so he would stop disobeying the Tops for a few hours. Would be ironic.

I find disturbing that Yuya of all people is recycling Sergej's strategy right after he demonstrated it on Yuzu.

KingJinzo
18th October 2015, 08:24 PM
I find disturbing that Yuya of all people is recycling Sergej's strategy right after he demonstrated it on Yuzu.

So true. That's an even bigger irony. Gap Power is so broken in the anime because the protagonist will be in a pinch for 99% of the time.

Mofiz
19th October 2015, 08:39 AM
Somewhat related

https://www.facebook.com/334135143393626/photos/a.334626560011151.1073741828.334135143393626/630420373765100/?type=3

Sanokal
20th October 2015, 01:00 AM
All right, I'm going to start minor reviews of the episodes here now.

Firstly, this episode is a prime example of why I wait for the subs and go dark from the community: it gets all kinds of things wrong. Shinji certainly wasn't being a dick regarding Zuzu; though he certainly tried to exploit her situation to gain Yuya's sympathy. In addition, apparently tumblr went nuts over Yuya not showing any care about Zuzu this episode...yeah, need I say more?

Onto the episode itself. Sergey was a one-scene wonder, and things are not gonna be pretty whenever he shows up. He's completely lost in his own little world, and the guy truly terrifies me. I can only pray for whoever faces him next.

Then we get to the meat of the matter; Shinji vs Yuya. Shinji himself is technically a base breaker, not a guy that everyone hates on, and I'm still not sure whether this is intentional. I never liked him from day one, largely because of the comparisons that his appearance draws with Yusei, in addition to his role. What REALLY made people hate him was him being a dick to Tsukikage; his speeches are actually fairly awesome, if a little to pragmatic for people's taste. Quite a few people have drawn comparisons to Shinji just wanting to put the Commons on top and be the queen bee; thankfully, this episode clears all of that up; Shinji does indeed want to change the City's corrupt society, admittedly as the vanguard of it (though really, it's not like the Commons will do anything if he doesn't.)

As for the duel itself, another set of new Performapals is irksome, but then that's instantly cleared up by Yuya bringing out two of the TCG's best beatsticks. Shinji thankfully shows more intelligent deck design than his previous duel (Arabalest the Quickshot anyone?) and presents another theme that focuses on multiple copies of the same monster, which for the anime was a refreshing touch. Timesword Magician makes a great debut, and next episode looks set to debut Tuning Magician and Yuya's first Synchro. Seeing Shinji reveal another Synchro himself was also a nice surprise, but hopefully we'll see more in the next episode. Ultimately a rather predictable, but no less enjoyable duel.

Now...the relationships. You have to wonder why the Council are still being snarky. Jesus, it's not been long since Shay kill-satted Dennis and they think that he can't handle Roger. Well, I suppose it's Roger, but if they knew how badly Sergey stuffed up, they might change their tune. It was quite nice to see Yugo's concern over Zuzu, the big sook, and Crow's reaction to Yuya against Shinji. But the real one that I enjoyed was seeing Selena instantly realize what was up with Yuya. After being one of my most hated characters and then becoming one of my favourites, it was certainly a nice touch.

And then...my most hated character in this series...Sora. I hate you, Sora. Why must you gain sympathy points?! At the same time, the little bugger's mindset has become pretty clear: he loves and will help his friends, and yes, they're still his friends. No matter what he tries to say. Jumping buildings with that extreme parkour is clear evidence of that.

A good episode...but as always, it's the next one that we're looking forward to.

Sanokal

KingJinzo
20th October 2015, 01:24 PM
Oh my gah, dub names...

Sanokal
20th October 2015, 06:13 PM
Oh my gah, dub names...

I'd advise that you get used to me using them.

Sanokal

Comun
20th October 2015, 06:24 PM
That was disappointing. Shinji was really hype in the first Duel, but it was not as much this time. I guess he won't top the "Our turn" moment. But seriously, how does the guy intends to start the proletariat revolution with a card like freaking Bee Force - Pin the Hit? Shinji must be the shame of all card game communists out there.

DISCLAIMER: The name Comun is not related to communism and I do not follow that ideology.

On other note, why the hell does Yuya think Yuzu being with Sora equals Yuzu being safe? That would be a much greater reason for concern to me. Sure they still consider each other friends, but Yuya must be at least vaguely aware of Sora's goals and quoting Sora's own words "I have something more important than friendship".

Sotavento
20th October 2015, 06:41 PM
Yuya going full Tea confirmed.

KingKaash
21st October 2015, 12:53 AM
And then...my most hated character in this series...Sora. I hate you, Sora. Why must you gain sympathy points?! At the same time, the little bugger's mindset has become pretty clear: he loves and will help his friends, and yes, they're still his friends. No matter what he tries to say. Jumping buildings with that extreme parkour is clear evidence of that.

A good episode...but as always, it's the next one that we're looking forward to.

Sanokal

I haven't seen the episode just yet but I don't understand Sora's relationship with anyone anymore. The last time we saw Sora, he took it to Yuya and could've won that duel if it wasn't interrupted. (Sidenote: I think Academia must be pretty scary when you consider that one of their soldiers can push the main protagonist all the way and almost win) But right before they dueled, Yuya saw Sora "carding" people. So why would Yuya not hate Sora still in the present now? Why would he trust Sora when he knows Sora is with Academia? Why are they still friends?

Sanokal
21st October 2015, 02:02 AM
I haven't seen the episode just yet but I don't understand Sora's relationship with anyone anymore. The last time we saw Sora, he took it to Yuya and could've won that duel if it wasn't interrupted. (Sidenote: I think Academia must be pretty scary when you consider that one of their soldiers can push the main protagonist all the way and almost win) But right before they dueled, Yuya saw Sora "carding" people. So why would Yuya not hate Sora still in the present now? Why would he trust Sora when he knows Sora is with Academia? Why are they still friends?

Sora still cares about his friends. He only dueled Yuya because Yuya insisted. And Yuya is trying to turn Sora good, which was the whole point of their second duel. His mother was the one who convinced him not to give up on Sora.
And while Sora is skilled, he's also an idiot. He was specifically told to search for Selena instead of Shay and what does he do? The only reason it didn't screw him over was because Selena came to him.

Sanokal

iNfiniTe Se7eNz
21st October 2015, 03:25 AM
That was disappointing. Shinji was really hype in the first Duel, but it was not as much this time. I guess he won't top the "Our turn" moment. But seriously, how does the guy intends to start the proletariat revolution with a card like freaking Bee Force - Pin the Hit? Shinji must be the shame of all card game communists out there.

DISCLAIMER: The name Comun is not related to communism and I do not follow that ideology.

On other note, why the hell does Yuya think Yuzu being with Sora equals Yuzu being safe? That would be a much greater reason for concern to me. Sure they still consider each other friends, but Yuya must be at least vaguely aware of Sora's goals and quoting Sora's own words "I have something more important than friendship".
To be fair, Commons theoretically should have mostly trash cards, which Crow defies with Black Feathers.

Yuya simply doesn't understand the concept of sociopathy or deliberate malevolence.

Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ
21st October 2015, 07:42 AM
Just watched the episode and looking forward to the next one now that Yuya has his game back on. Also hoping to see more of what Sora is going to do in the near future.

KingKaash
21st October 2015, 09:23 PM
Sora still cares about his friends. He only dueled Yuya because Yuya insisted. And Yuya is trying to turn Sora good, which was the whole point of their second duel. His mother was the one who convinced him not to give up on Sora.
And while Sora is skilled, he's also an idiot. He was specifically told to search for Selena instead of Shay and what does he do? The only reason it didn't screw him over was because Selena came to him.

Sanokal

This clears up a lot. Thank you! You're right he's trying to turn Sora good again because he doesn't wanna give up on him. And I'm actually glad he went for Kurosaki. After all, Yuri is the girl counterpart assassin. And btw Kurosaki was totally not trying in that second duel with him inside that temple. He was using Force Strix for most of the duel instead of his Falcons. The real Kurosaki is the one that crushed Sora in their first duel. So I don't count that as a win for Sora js

Sanokal
22nd October 2015, 01:15 AM
This clears up a lot. Thank you! You're right he's trying to turn Sora good again because he doesn't wanna give up on him. And I'm actually glad he went for Kurosaki. After all, Yuri is the girl counterpart assassin. And btw Kurosaki was totally not trying in that second duel with him inside that temple. He was using Force Strix for most of the duel instead of his Falcons. The real Kurosaki is the one that crushed Sora in their first duel. So I don't count that as a win for Sora js

While I can't speak for the rest of the duel, note that against Kurosaki, Sora leaving Tomahawk out there prevented him from using the effects of his Falcon cards right away since Tomahawk was Normal Summoned. Kurosaki did directly say that he's always serious in a duel.

Sanokal

Crow the BOOLET
22nd October 2015, 03:00 AM
In Shun's defense, he was going for a OTK which somehow didn't happen off screen, possibly due to Action Cards or Sora magically owning Battle Fader or something. As Sanokal mentioned he really couldn't abuse his Falcon's effects either so the best strat was to go in ham with owls.

Oh and Des-toy Tiger's destruction effect also put another wrench in that plan too. Sora was more passive in a sense that he didn't kept summoning things Shun could take advantage of. Someone should had run 3 copies of Readiness in their deck for moments like these.

Sanokal
22nd October 2015, 03:15 AM
In Shun's defense, he was going for a OTK which somehow didn't happen off screen, possibly due to Action Cards or Sora magically owning Battle Fader or something. As Sanokal mentioned he really couldn't abuse his Falcon's effects either so the best strat was to go in ham with owls.

Oh and Des-toy Tiger's destruction effect also put another wrench in that plan too. Sora was more passive in a sense that he didn't kept summoning things Shun could take advantage of. Someone should had run 3 copies of Readiness in their deck for moments like these.

Fairly sure that Sora used either his set card or a hand trap given his comments about Action Cards. As for Readiness, Shay can only use the anime effect when he takes effect damage.

Sanokal

Hope in the Interstice
22nd October 2015, 03:37 AM
Fairly sure that Sora used either his set card or a hand trap given his comments about Action Cards. As for Readiness, Shay can only use the anime effect when he takes effect damage.

Sanokal
The first effect of Readiness, when it's on the field, reduces damage to 0 of any kind. He could've prevented the damage by Scissor Tiger, assuming he didn't use all three copies beforehand.

Sanokal
22nd October 2015, 03:49 AM
Considering that the duel went on for the whole night and he still had 2200 LP before losing, I'd say that he probably did use all three.

Sanokal

KingKaash
23rd October 2015, 07:27 PM

That's the point, part of the duel happened off screen. If it was meant to be serious they would've showed the whole thing. So I for one am not gonna give credit to Sora for defeating Shun. I hate that they did that duel at all. Shun just wrecked Sora in front of everyone a few episodes before that. Then they come out with this stuff of how Sora beats Shun and basically gets revenge and gets even. Sora isn't that important where he can't have any losses to blemish his record. Only Yuya can be given that treatment because he's the main protagonist but even he's lost. And he hasn't lost throw-away off screen duels. He went all out against Reiji and Jack and lost.

Cheesedude
24th October 2015, 04:29 AM
If it wasn't meant to be serious, it wouldn't have been there at all. That duel had a purpose and it needed to happen, but there was quite simply way too many other things going on at the same time to cover it. There weren't enough episodes left in the arc to pull it off.

The duel was needed for Selena to meet Shun. Her seeing Shun's defeat and Sora's psychosis was the catalyst for her turning against Academia. And since the duel needed to happen for that, may as well advertise Force Strix and Frightfur Tiger.

The duel gave Shun and actual, legitimate loss, which was needed so he would cease seeming so invincible. And it was also meant to show that Sora IS a threat when he's serious from the start.

Yeah, I would have preferred a full duel myself, but oh well.

Mystic TimeKeeper
24th October 2015, 07:41 AM
I still think the half-duel hurt Sora's reputation a lot, but that was needed in a way since they dueled just a 6/7 episodes ago and no one aside Yuya and Dennis gets 2 full-shown duels at such a short distance, the problem is that since Anime is all about "Inside-House" support I have an hard time imagining the duel with Furnimal's actual card pool.

And I may be a Shun follower all the way but people should put their souls to rest on the matter, it's just extremely unlikely that Shun would go easy on someone from Academia of all people and for development reasons that loss counts.

KingKaash
26th October 2015, 10:12 PM
If it wasn't meant to be serious, it wouldn't have been there at all. That duel had a purpose and it needed to happen, but there was quite simply way too many other things going on at the same time to cover it. There weren't enough episodes left in the arc to pull it off.

The duel was needed for Selena to meet Shun. Her seeing Shun's defeat and Sora's psychosis was the catalyst for her turning against Academia. And since the duel needed to happen for that, may as well advertise Force Strix and Frightfur Tiger.

The duel gave Shun and actual, legitimate loss, which was needed so he would cease seeming so invincible. And it was also meant to show that Sora IS a threat when he's serious from the start.

Yeah, I would have preferred a full duel myself, but oh well.

All really good, valid points about Selena meeting Shun and changing and Shun atleast needing one loss and too much was going on at that point. I personally started watching from episode 30 so I didn't see Sora's previous duels before that. But I learned that Sora was a legit threat after he nearly defeated Yuya inside that cave. I guess I just wish the duel was in full as well