PDA

View Full Version : So I have a question about Cyber Dragon Nova....

Corebenick
17th October 2015, 08:42 AM
In light of the recent reveal of cyber dragon infinity being imported to the TCG, I happened across a curious scenario involving cyber dragon nova as an xyz material. If Nova is sent to the graveyard being a part of Infinity's xyz material(s), when Infinity is leaving the field due to a card effect, will Nova trigger it's effect to special summon a machine fusion monster from the extra deck?

Hope in the Interstice
17th October 2015, 08:56 AM
No. Nova specifically has to be destroyed, and on the field at that. As Xyz Material, he's only as good as the next one.

Akaba Fedoreiji
17th October 2015, 09:01 AM
In light of the recent reveal of cyber dragon infinity being imported to the TCG, I happened across a curious scenario involving cyber dragon nova as an xyz material. If Nova is sent to the graveyard being a part of Infinity's xyz material(s), when Infinity is leaving the field due to a card effect, will Nova trigger it's effect to special summon a machine fusion monster from the extra deck?

No, it won't. Xyz Materials are properties of the Xyz Monster and so the reason it would be being sent to the Graveyard in that case is because the Xyz Monster it was attached to left the field: this does not count as being sent to the Graveyard by a card effect, simply as a result of game mechanics. If a card controlled by the opponent caused the detaching of an Xyz Material then its effect would activate, but not in this scenario.

- - - Updated - - -

No. Nova specifically has to be destroyed, and on the field at that. As Xyz Material, he's only as good as the next one.

Actually, he only needs to be sent to the Graveyard in your possession by an opponent's card effect: neither destruction nor field presence are technically necessary.

Corebenick
17th October 2015, 09:01 AM
How about if Nova is detached by an opponent's card effect?

And my bad; I was under the impression that Nova could still trigger under the "limbo clause"; like solemn warning for example.

Corebenick
17th October 2015, 09:05 AM
Ah, so if Nova was detached through something like Kurivolt, it's effect would trigger. Thank you for the enlightenment.

Akaba Fedoreiji
17th October 2015, 09:10 AM
How about if Nova is detached by an opponent's card effect?

And my bad; I was under the impression that Nova could still trigger under the "limbo clause"; like solemn warning for example.

Um ...

Hi, I answered your question? Nice to meet you. As for 'limbo' clause (although I am aware of what that would mean, I have never seen that terminology used) I'm not sure that a monster is designated as being " in your possession" if the Summon is negated ... I don't think you will get the effect if it gets Warning'd.

EDIT: Apologies for my being uncouth, it appears the phone site is a little dodgy in syncing. But you should probably get some further verification before you start making plans or anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, so if Nova was detached through something like Kurivolt, it's effect would trigger. Thank you for the enlightenment.

It all depends on whether Xyz Mats are considered as being "in your possession." It is my understanding that they are, but that may not be true.

Corebenick
17th October 2015, 09:12 AM
Um ...

Hi, I answered your question? Nice to meet you. As for 'limbo' clause (although I am aware of what that would mean, I have never seen that terminology used) I'm not sure that a monster is designated as being " in your possession" if the Summon is negated ... I don't think you will get the effect if it gets Warning'd.

EDIT: Apologies for my being uncouth, it appears the phone site is a little dodgy in syncing. But you should probably get some further verification before you start making plans or anything.

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=5952#more-5952

Still new to this forum thing.

Anyway...does the article about Cyber Dragon Nova incorrectly state it's effect will trigger under something like solemn warning?

Akaba Fedoreiji
17th October 2015, 09:29 AM
https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=5952#more-5952

Still new to this forum thing.

Anyway...does the article about Cyber Dragon Nova incorrectly state it's effect will trigger under something like solemn warning?

No, if the blog page is saying that then it's true. Learning goes all ways when it comes to Yu-Gi-Oh. I suppose summons being negated do* count as being in possession, so Mats ought to be possessed by the respective player as well.

Corebenick
17th October 2015, 09:33 AM
No, if the blog page is saying that then it's true. Learning goes all ways when it comes to Yu-Gi-Oh. I suppose summons being negated do* count as being in possession, so Mats ought to be possessed by the respective player as well.

So what did I learn?

Akaba Fedoreiji
17th October 2015, 09:38 AM
So what did I learn?

Such is the old metaphorical quest that is life ...

You learnt that, if you trust in me, Xyz Materials that are sent to the Graveyard because the relevant Xyz Monster was destroyed by a card effect, are sent their via game mechanics instead: CyDra Nova will not trigger. Kurivolt should trigger CyDra Nova: the latter is in your possession at the time and the detaching (and thus sending to the Graveyard under normal conditions) is carried out by the former. Also, summons being negated are still Summons of monsters in your possession.

Corebenick
17th October 2015, 09:48 AM
Such is the old metaphorical quest that is life ...

You learnt that, if you trust in me, Xyz Materials that are sent to the Graveyard because the relevant Xyz Monster was destroyed by a card effect, are sent their via game mechanics instead: CyDra Nova will not trigger. Kurivolt should trigger CyDra Nova: the latter is in your possession at the time and the detaching (and thus sending to the Graveyard under normal conditions) is carried out by the former. Also, summons being negated are still Summons of monsters in your possession.

I do trust in your knowledge and am very glad that my curiosity has been put to good rest.
Thanks for helping me work through the inner workings of duel monsters mechanics; your summary has taught me
to take in feedback and enjoy the "questing" of research to resolve issues within my local Yu-Gi-Oh! community.

Mystic TimeKeeper
17th October 2015, 09:48 AM
So what did I learn?

That this game is an absolute mess and that's why children can't play this children's card game right for Ra's sake.

Corebenick
17th October 2015, 09:51 AM
That this game is an absolute mess and that's why children can't play this children's card game right for Ra's sake.

But I plan on sharing this game with my children, (if they are interested), later in life....

JoJoToast
17th October 2015, 10:01 AM
Negating a summon will trigger effects that state 'If this card in your possession is destroyed' etc.

Negating a summon will not trigger card effects that state 'When this card on the field is destroyed' etc.

Mystic TimeKeeper
17th October 2015, 10:02 AM
But I plan on sharing this game with my children, (if they are interested), later in life....

Good luck with it, I tried a lot (and I mean it) of card games, and none of this had so many unwrotten rules, weird interactions and case-to-case explanations, to sum it up, to a newcomer this game is hell, it would take an extreme amount of fatigue to just catch up to how the game works THEN you have to get to the actual playing choices, the amount of external sources needed to get things right is absurd, in any other game I played rulebook and cards are the only tool you need.

Not to mention tier shifts so massive that they resemble format rotations, if you want to play semi-competitive your deck might not last the time you finish it but that's digressing.

If I wasn't playing this thing since it started I'd probably suggest to people to sterr away from this thing, I suggest that if you really care to play this with your children to introduce them to the anime first, they explain the basics well and they can get interested enough that they don't get discouraged at all the weirdness that they will have to face (first of the list, difference between negating and destroying AND destroying Continuous spell/traps).

Corebenick
17th October 2015, 10:09 AM
I'll give them one of the hand-held games for starters but I am still debating on which anime to start them out with. Maybe GX?

Mystic TimeKeeper
17th October 2015, 10:19 AM
I'll give them one of the hand-held games for starters but I am still debating on which anime to start them out with. Maybe GX?

GX duels are fairy straightforward so they are good for beginners, but I'd be more inclined to leave the choice to them. There is to consider the fact that late-anime are usually more visually attractive and if they want to make a character deck (Example, the Manly Gongenzaga) they don't risk (that much) having their favourite character's deck being unviable or worse not existing (it happened a lot more often in the old times).

Akaba Fedoreiji
17th October 2015, 11:38 AM
Example Gong Strong*

Akaba Fedoreiji
17th October 2015, 11:46 AM
Yes, look at CF!V as an example (Yes MTK I am the only one to understand your Avatar), and they pretty much tell you all the handy tricks for playing and Deck building in the guide book or the anime: everything else is pure sense. Yu-Gi-Oh never explains the in-depth rules in their products, and things such as consistency, ratios, the concept of speed, and the importance of card advantage just aren't explained nor even mentioned. It really aggravates me because I shouldn't have to feel obliged to carry round a mental note of more rules than any other card game just to build something viable.

Momma_Sophie
3rd December 2015, 04:31 PM
No;

Cyber Dragon Nova did not leave the field due to a card effect.
CyDra Nova was being treated as XYZ Material, and was sent to the graveyard as a result of Infin's destruction.
Infin was sent to the Grave by a card effect; nothing else attached to him as XYZ material was sent in that way.
They were sent to the Grave by a game mechanic.