PDA

View Full Version : Making A Splash - Generic Tech Thread

Akaba Fedoreiji
20th October 2015, 09:25 PM
Greetings, all, and welcome to this discussion on your most-liked, splash-tastic Monsters, Spells and Traps!

I wanted to start this thread as an individual who can pull a basic enough Deck together, but who struggles to make effective Side Deck choices: as any serious player knows, the key to victory in official tournaments is having a good Side Deck that covers numerous bases - and certainly those that are in popular usage.

It is my personal belief that a good Side Deck should consist of a minimum of ten generic cards: that is to say, ten cards that I could Side with numerous other Decks, whose strategies are not counter-intuitive to the cards in question, to achieve a similar result. In other words, only five or fewer cards should EVER be theme-related or some kind of archetype support.

The problem I face is not only picking the best cards to have in my Side Deck, but also using the Side Deck effectively. In order to Side, one must take out as many cards as they hope to add: but if your whole Deck is relevant to your strategy then, though it may be true to say that Deck building has therefore not been an entirely successful process, it can become nigh on if not impossible to make the best choice.

As a result of these deliberations, I decided that I wanted to start a thread for the sole purpose of discussing good generic cards as they are released, or when said cards become relevant in a metagame after a long time. These cards can be general, simple-to-understand classics such as Raigeki, but also cards that may be specific to countering a number of Decks that are commonplace in the current meta. Through this, I hope that this thread will allow people to collaborate on creating not only better Side Decks, but also Main Decks or even Extra Decks as a whole, and I also hope that we will be able to document the shifting nature of the metagame as each F & L List is issued.

If you would like to share your tech ideas, please name the card - that is all. You do not have to write out its effect, though you may wish to provide a link to the Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia if it is not something you believe to be especially well known. Also, please state your reasons for suggesting the card, such as any applications it would have in the current metagame: it stands to reason that the more controversial or unexpected your contribution is, the more you might have to say or discuss here as to how it is useful.

Finally, my ultimate hope is that this thread becomes a valuable resource for the player base, and also a place where veterans can help the novices. If you, too, want to make the game better for everyone - why don't you leave a comment? It's free ...

SynjoDeonecros
21st October 2015, 03:55 PM
Personally, though I've never gotten a chance to test it yet, I have a soft spot in my heart for Prohibition. Since many decks out there rely on a specific card or two to work their magic, keeping them from playing it entirely seems like a good idea, right? I think there's a monster version of that out there, a Psychic monster, I believe, but considering we have more monster hate than spell/trap hate, right now, Prohibition seems like the better choice.

SynjoDeonecros
19th November 2015, 08:49 PM
Could hands be considered this, now? Floating Spell/Trap/Monster destruction and Rank 4 plays all in one.