PDA

View Full Version : Arc-V Dub

SynjoDeonecros
3rd November 2015, 07:21 PM
So, what episodes are you guys eager to see dubbed in the west? Personally, I'm eager to see what they do with Silvio's Yosenju duel with Yuya, and what they do with Sora's Academia taunting during his duel with RR-boy.

Sanokal
3rd November 2015, 07:28 PM
So, what episodes are you guys eager to see dubbed in the west? Personally, I'm eager to see what they do with Silvio's Yosenju duel with Yuya, and what they do with Sora's Academia taunting during his duel with RR-boy.

Episode 24. Episodes 12 and 13 were excellent; the only things that the dub lacked were Kensho Ono and the DDD theme. Sora's proving to be surprisingly well-done in the dub, but episode 34 will be the key.

LolsterXD97
3rd November 2015, 07:29 PM
Episode 34 to 37 since I want to see how they will do with the Academia stuff (Also with the carpet bombing and how they will handle with the "Yugo" pun).

SynjoDeonecros
3rd November 2015, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they renamed him Fuchio or something, something that sounds similar to Fusion, to keep the pun, but try to link it back to his similar naming conventions to Yuya.

Jolan
3rd November 2015, 09:06 PM
People from the Poly Dimension, short for Polymerisation, are who our new Synchro Duelist, Paulie, gets mistaken from.

ScionStorm
3rd November 2015, 10:45 PM
That's gross. I'd rather see Yugo named Yu-Sean.

Sanokal
8th November 2015, 02:28 AM
If the French and German dub are anything to go by, he's still going to be called Yugo. I guess they'll change the pun.

ChaseLumsden
8th November 2015, 02:48 AM
Is it terrible to say I like the Dub?
The characters sound genuine, Yuya being okay, Gong being dumb but still decent, Reiji-ER, I mean Declan, sounds cool, Yuzuzu sounds adorable, Yuto needs to be absorbed into Yuya and call it a day, and Shay, well, is Shay. And the there's Sora reminding me of someone not named Keyblade Boy.
Only a few dialogues here and there and the newer music is my only nitpicks, but overall, I think this is the best Dub of a Yu-Gi-Oh! anime in a VERY long while. Sure, Zexal had some good things here and there, but we never had an entire lineup of cast members that I actually had the time to simply listen in on and not space out since thins like 5Ds and even GX to an extent.

However, if we're talking about what episodes that I'm hyped up for, I'd want to see what they're gonna do for the Duels with Sora and Shay (the infamous Revolution Falcon raid.), the Duel with Yuya's first "Berserk Mode", and the Duel with Odd-Eyes Rebellion's first appearance (Seriously, that episode was dark as all hell, literally, and without a single damn pun in it.). I hope the Dub can at least include some darker moments and include some of the Duel without cutting it out or causing, dare I say, a cancellation of that particular episode.

Sanokal
8th November 2015, 05:42 AM
Nah, it's not terrible to say that. The oddness of the voices have grown on me, though even Micheal Liscio Jr can't quite measure up to Kensho Ono. Yuto sounds like he's trying too hard to be cool, which one could argue would fit, given that he's fourteen. And the soundtrack was never going to measure up to the original.
Wow, I didn't realize that the dub was up to episode 18. Time flies when it's not on the Internet...or on TV.

skyfiretherobot
10th November 2015, 03:36 AM

I'm excited to see them dub the episode where Sylvio defeats Yuri, finally completing his story arc after always losing to the Yuya counterparts, is taken over by Yuri's dragon, and then duels Yuya for it. If that episode(s) doesn't happen, Arc-V will be dead to me.

Sanokal
28th November 2015, 12:43 AM
Just watched episode 24.

I don't know about you guys, but I thought that it was excellent. If you had your doubts about Matt Shipman as Shay's voice, then you canlikely put them to rest after he starts hamming it up. Rise Falcon's summoning chant is wicked.

ChaseLumsden
28th November 2015, 05:57 AM
>Watched Episode 24
>Heard Shay

Well, Rest in peace guys, Shay happened.

God damnit, why is this Dub actually good. Yuya's Dub is perfect, Yuzu's is actually OK, and Sora's perfect and it's matching my headcanon stupidly well. Then here comes Shay and holy shit I'm reminded of the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh.

Anyway.
"I overlay the Three Vanishing Laniuses! From the Shadows, the Falcon Soars on wings of courage! Talons, Ready for the Rebellion! I Xyz Summon! Witness the Ascent of Raidraptor-Rise Falcon!"

Yep, that ain't going away anymore.

Sanokal
28th November 2015, 06:19 AM
>Watched Episode 24
>Heard Shay

Well, Rest in peace guys, Shay happened.

God damnit, why is this Dub actually good. Yuya's Dub is perfect, Yuzu's is actually OK, and Sora's perfect and it's matching my headcanon stupidly well. Then here comes Shay and holy shit I'm reminded of the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh.

Anyway.
"I overlay the Three Vanishing Laniuses! From the Shadows, the Falcon Soars on wings of courage! Talons, Ready for the Rebellion! I Xyz Summon! Witness the Ascent of Raidraptor-Rise Falcon!"

Yep, that ain't going away anymore.

To be honest the only problem with Micheal Liscio is that he isn't Kensho Ono. Yet curiously, I find Alain in pokemons dub voice to be better than Kensho Ono. This is strange.

Yeah, Shay is different, but that's also kind of a good thing. Even not having DDD at the end of this episode didn't detract from it this time.

Zarkiel
28th November 2015, 11:46 AM
I think the only thing I don't like about the dub is the german boy (which to be fair, I hate him in the japanesse version too) and gong's voice. but they made shay's voice perfect. The next big thing is crazy sora. if they can pull that off, this might become one of the yugiohs I watch in english.

Sanokal
2nd December 2015, 08:40 AM
I think the only thing I don't like about the dub is the german boy (which to be fair, I hate him in the japanesse version too) and gong's voice. but they made shay's voice perfect. The next big thing is crazy sora. if they can pull that off, this might become one of the yugiohs I watch in english.

Gong's voice has grown on me, and he seems to be getting up to the proper levels of ham when he really needs to.

Apparently Frederick has crossed the line from annoying to freaking hilarious given how over-the-top he is in the dub.

Delerious1
14th December 2015, 04:29 AM
I don't remember ever getting so giddy with anticipation over a Yu-Gi-Oh! dub, of all things. I just finished up Episode 33, and every word Matt Shipman spoke gave me this feeling the dam's about to burst - and Sora is right in its path. I could actually hear Shay's voice breaking at one point - intentional or not, that level of emotion in a 'kid's show' sold me on him more than anything. Shipman's done his homework, and that for me makes ARC-V's dub leaps and bounds over any others in the franchise I've heard apart from DM - certainly ahead of ZEXAL's.

And who knows - if #34 doesn't pull any punches this weekend, ARC-V could even eclipse DM in that respect.

Sanokal
14th December 2015, 09:12 AM
I don't remember ever getting so giddy with anticipation over a Yu-Gi-Oh! dub, of all things. I just finished up Episode 33, and every word Matt Shipman spoke gave me this feeling the dam's about to burst - and Sora is right in its path. I could actually hear Shay's voice breaking at one point - intentional or not, that level of emotion in a 'kid's show' sold me on him more than anything. Shipman's done his homework, and that for me makes ARC-V's dub leaps and bounds over any others in the franchise I've heard apart from DM - certainly ahead of ZEXAL's.

And who knows - if #34 doesn't pull any punches this weekend, ARC-V could even eclipse DM in that respect.

Seriously, go look at Shipman's twitter. It's brilliant.

SynjoDeonecros
14th December 2015, 03:56 PM
Only episodes I'm wanting to see is the duel between Yuya and Silvio with the Yosenjus. Can't wait to see what they do with that.

Sanokal
14th December 2015, 06:32 PM
Only episodes I'm wanting to see is the duel between Yuya and Silvio with the Yosenjus. Can't wait to see what they do with that.

They're out, but the damn uploader cut off the first 10 minutes of episode 31.

SynjoDeonecros
14th December 2015, 10:38 PM
Really, now? Will have to watch it when I have the chance, then. Also noticed that the first part of Shay vs. Sora's duel is up, with the finale being next week. Wonder what they're going to do about Sora's rant about hunting Shay and the other Xyz Dimensionals for sport...

LolsterXD97
14th December 2015, 10:39 PM
Really, now? Will have to watch it when I have the chance, then. Also noticed that the first part of Shay vs. Sora's duel is up, with the finale being next week. Wonder what they're going to do about Sora's rant about hunting Shay and the other Xyz Dimensionals for sport...

I imagine them putting "playing" instead of "hunting", but that would sound way more twisted than hunting in some cases...

SynjoDeonecros
14th December 2015, 10:58 PM
That would fit in with Sora's personality, honestly; he sees it more of a game than anything, so "playing" instead of "hurting" would work creepily well...

Sanokal
14th December 2015, 11:42 PM
They'll probably play it completely straight. Shay discussing the invasion is pretty damn dark.
The episodes come out in batches; three a week, so we'll get 34, 35, and 36 next week.

King
15th December 2015, 01:04 PM
really want to hear glimpse of reiji's Voice in the dub

Sanokal
15th December 2015, 06:44 PM
The episodes are out and about. They should be easy enough to find. His voice fits his character a lot more than his japanese one (which is admittedly still excellent).

Delerious1
19th December 2015, 10:50 PM
Episode 34 is out, and I gotta say I wasn't expecting how faithful the dub would be here. About the only things that changed were the music and the card artwork, which I suppose is to be expected. They left in the crumbling buildings, the screaming kids, Sora's faces - even Revolution Falcon's bombs.

Voice-wise, it's not too shabby; Shipman continues to impress with Shay, and I think I'm starting to get used to Declan's voice. Don't know if I can say the same for Yuya; delivery seems a bit forced and he sounds weirdly high-pitched. As for Sora ... I liked what I heard, but at the same time, I feel as though they could've done more with his delivery, especially when he starts going full-on Vector.

All in all, a pretty good adaptation of one of the best episodes in the franchise. Looking forward to hearing Yuugo next week.

EDIT: Just watched Episode 36, and Yugo sounds ... deeper than what I was expecting. Granted, he only had his one single line, so I can't say for certain until next week.

And I don't know who they found to voice Leo Akaba, but holy crap, his voice is amazing. I had to stop and check to make sure it wasn't actually Michael McConnohie (Jurgens, E7; Schwarzwald, Big O), it was that good. The perfect deep voice for a villain we know next to nothing about.

ScionStorm
22nd December 2015, 03:37 AM
Haven't watched yet, but just found out they changed the name of the city. Why does it have to be Paradise City? Why can't we just go on believing Yuya lives in a futuristic version of Miami, Florida?

Sanokal
22nd December 2015, 03:41 AM
Seriously, this is actually quite the good dub. It's actually more poetic and it really doesn't pull its punches that much.

ChaseLumsden
22nd December 2015, 04:10 AM
So, ah, 34 was an excellent episode done right.
So..Yeah.
Dub is as good as JPN.
So, if anyone wants to get into any of the two, pick either.
The Dub of course is behind the JPN version, but the Dub has great voice actors and hardly anything was really changed. Overall, this is actually a decent series, and I managed to make my friend love this series just because of the Dub.

Huzzah.

kuchiki
30th December 2015, 05:24 AM
I've selected a few episodes to watch in order to compare between dubbed and subbed like 29 Zuzu versus Julia, 33-34 with Shay versus Sora, and 37 for Yuto versus Yugo and I have to say the voice acting is quite good in comparison. The one thing dub lacks is of course the epic music during certain duels or scenes where the mood setting changes. A perfect example of this can be seen during the duel with Shay versus Sora where Shay summons his three vanishing lanuis and overlays into raid raptor rise falcon and when Sora goes lunatic then summons frightfur mad chimera.

The music for Shay summoning rise falcon - https://youtu.be/Vfgdk5sttIQ and music when Sora summons mad chimera - https://youtu.be/bp0nPdJNZ7o

These two sound tracks playing is what makes the duel more intense which I wish the dub had but unfortunately that is not the case (They have their own music track and sounds).

As far as voice actors for dub, I like Zuzu's since she was the voice of Dawn from Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (I watch dub Pokémon btw) and Shay's voice is quite good too. There are a few mistakes with the script here and there such as episode 34 where Shay activates raptor's storm counter trap then later when he uses raptor's gust he says raptor's storm again (most likely script error). These are just minor things I've found though nothing too drastic.

On the other hand I have seen people complaining about some of the dub names compared to their original ones. I find the names okay but not sure why they need to be changed in the first place (they kept Yuya, Yuto, and Yugo so they have to keep Yuri). Either way, if anyone likes to watch the dub or sub is personal preference since at the end of the day just enjoy watching the anime.

There are probably other things I could point out, however, I am not here to going to keep rambling on about it (Not one of those people who say watch sub not dub or you are a scrub).

Anyway, one last note I wanted to make is that I like how the dub is releasing three episodes a week instead of waiting x amount of weeks to watch a certain duel. This gives a little nice binge watch for people tuning into the dubbed anime so props to them.

Zarkiel
30th December 2015, 08:42 AM
The one thing dub lacks is of course the epic music during certain duels or scenes where the mood setting changes. A perfect example of this can be seen during the duel with Shay versus Sora where Shay summons his three vanishing lanuis and overlays into raid raptor rise falcon and when Sora goes lunatic then summons frightfur mad chimera.

Every yugioh dub has less epic music than the original. Its going to happen, and we just have to accept it. Even the original scores to DM sound better, and that had a really good soundtrack in the english.

Sanokal
30th December 2015, 08:56 AM
Every yugioh dub has less epic music than the original. Its going to happen, and we just have to accept it. Even the original scores to DM sound better, and that had a really good soundtrack in the english.

I dunno, it might be just me, but the Japanese version of DM never seemed to have fitting music, Yugi's theme not withstanding. Though Warriors and Overlap were good. Maybe I just haven't heard enough.

Zarkiel
30th December 2015, 08:57 PM
I dunno, it might be just me, but the Japanese version of DM never seemed to have fitting music, Yugi's theme not withstanding. Though Warriors and Overlap were good. Maybe I just haven't heard enough.

I think what sells it for me is the Egyptian god themes compared to ours. There's seem so much more epic, while ours just kind of linger in the background. But DM is like the weakest example of having better music. If you really want to compare, its zexal.

Sanokal
30th December 2015, 09:48 PM
I think what sells it for me is the Egyptian god themes compared to ours. There's seem so much more epic, while ours just kind of linger in the background. But DM is like the weakest example of having better music. If you really want to compare, its zexal.

Yeah, the music during the first Summon of Ra was pretty poor compared to the dub. Obelisk wasn't bad, but then the dub turned the epic up to eleven. Slifer during the Bakura duel is good in a different way in both versions I think.

By better music in Zexal do you mean that the Japanese is better?

Zarkiel
31st December 2015, 12:49 AM
Yeah, the music during the first Summon of Ra was pretty poor compared to the dub. Obelisk wasn't bad, but then the dub turned the epic up to eleven. Slifer during the Bakura duel is good in a different way in both versions I think.

By better music in Zexal do you mean that the Japanese is better?

oh yes. way better. The dub just didn't capture the epic moments like the original did. Just compare the music in each version when the barian chaos draw is performed. The Japanesse did it so much better.

Sanokal
31st December 2015, 01:57 AM
oh yes. way better. The dub just didn't capture the epic moments like the original did. Just compare the music in each version when the barian chaos draw is performed. The Japanesse did it so much better.

Just checking. I agree with you, but the way the conversation was going confused me a little there.

Thanako
31st December 2015, 04:09 AM
I really don't mind dubs in general, and I know a lot of people have nostalgia for the older YGO things in general, but I'm really not a fan of the direction that they go with these in particular. Similar to the infamous Sailor Moon dubbing worldwide, I just don't like when names are changed in particular and other key moments are dumbed down.

Arc-V's overall bad animation and my disdain for some of the key elements of the dub really just combine to leave a bad taste in my mouth. The issues with music is generally that licensing it is costly. Though my biggest problem is that a lot of moments with the dub thus far really feel out of character for the sake of Americanization. The biggest American stereotype in Arc-V was also changed to a different nationality, as a bit of irony.

I dunno if this is really what you were expecting, but I would hope that there was an uncut version of the dub that didn't change the scripting and dumb down the characters for a perceived dumber and much younger audience, like with Duel Monsters. If that were the case, I wouldn't have too many issues outside of unfitting voices and absolutely silly names.

TheRamenNoodle
31st December 2015, 09:20 PM
Yeah, the music makes a huge difference IMO. It just sets the mood very well. I watch a couple select episodes, and voice acting wasn't bad, but I felt something was missing. Perhaps one complaint I had about the voices is that Sora didn't really give me the sinister feeling that he did in the original.