PDA

View Full Version : Card Discussion: Tri-Edge Levia

Aromaiden
8th November 2015, 10:34 PM
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/yugioh/images/1/16/TriEdgeLevia-BP03-EN-SHR-1E.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/300?cb=20140803122917

3 Level 3 monsters
Banish any monster destroyed by battle with this card. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 face-up monster on the field; it loses 800 ATK, also its effects are negated. These changes last until the end of this turn.

Rank 3 have over time received a decent amount of good XYZ, with cards such as Dante, Break Sword, and recently Granpulse. This card in my opinion is also a pretty good Rank 3 and I'm interested to hear and see others' opinions and takes on this card.

Dread Kaiser
8th November 2015, 10:46 PM
Takes 3 monsters
Requires battle
Most things you'd want to banish are probably attached to the xyz you just killed anyway
Negation isn't permenant and you often won't need it to kill something
-800 is ok but could be better, we have a rank 1 that Halves and 2 rank 4's that drop to 0, many more just remove

Verdict: Meh

Pendulum
8th November 2015, 11:24 PM
I actually like that card a lot but

Takes 3 monsters
Requires battle
Most things you'd want to banish are probably attached to the xyz you just killed anyway
Negation isn't permenant and you often won't need it to kill something
-800 is ok but could be better, we have a rank 1 that Halves and 2 rank 4's that drop to 0, many more just remove

The artwork is very nice. The effects are not bad, but <look above>.

Verdict: Meh

Mofiz
8th November 2015, 11:33 PM
The only special effect this thing has is the "during either turn" effect which makes bigger monsters useless for a turn. But with low stats like that and a OPT restriction.. not that good on its own. I would like it with another field control card, then it has quite an impacting effect.

Dread Kaiser
8th November 2015, 11:43 PM
The only special effect this thing has is the "during either turn" effect which makes bigger monsters useless for a turn. But with low stats like that and a OPT restriction.. not that good on its own. I would like it with another field control card, then it has quite an impacting effect.

you'd just use breakthrough
or those 9 Levels you put into it to go into Abyss

Mofiz
8th November 2015, 11:57 PM
you'd just use breakthrough
or those 9 Levels you put into it to go into Abyss

I don't use Traps and yeah Abyss is pretty much always there. I just splashed a Level 3 Engine into my Deck (Speedroids, E Teleport, Power Rangers) because of the backrow hating Fish and it works stupidly well. Something for more negation and banishing could be not that bad. But I don't think it's worth enough to throw out anything for it if my rest does it well enough already.

Jolan
9th November 2015, 01:43 AM
I like the card artwork but in my decks where I have access to 3 level 3 monsters, I would most likely just TRISHULA instead, given it's quite likely one of the three monsters would be a tuner.

Hope in the Interstice
9th November 2015, 01:53 AM
Assuming you kill an Xyz.

I think the card is very good but the three material requirement is what puts off everyone. Burning Abyss won't go for it because it kills their field and I don't know if the Phantom Knights can actually make this regularly and reliably.

Aromaiden
9th November 2015, 02:15 AM
Assuming you kill an Xyz.

I think the card is very good but the three material requirement is what puts off everyone. Burning Abyss won't go for it because it kills their field and I don't know if the Phantom Knights can actually make this regularly and reliably.

For The Phantom Knights it depends. As far as I can tell, the deck will usually just go for Break Sword, Dante, etc; they'll just stick to the two material Rank 3s in the beginning of the duel. In late game though, Tri-Edge can usually be pulled off pretty easily.

Dyson Sphere
9th November 2015, 02:19 AM
if the attack was higher i might use it... but i have a better rank 3 toolbox

Jakinus
9th November 2015, 04:02 AM
Levia is also summonable with Bahamut Shark, which is nice. In a Rank 3 Spam deck it can be useful against decks like BA or pendulums, where the banish zone it's more or less inaccesible.

You can also use Forbidden Lance along with its own effect to decrease the target's attack.

This card is decent, a nice adition to the rank 3 toolbox.

Dread Kaiser
9th November 2015, 04:07 AM
but Bahamut shark doesn't give it material, and without material...you would get better results from Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer

Icematoro
9th November 2015, 06:12 AM
but Bahamut shark doesn't give it material, and without material...you would get better results from Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer

While I agree, you should never forget:
"Easy to make Extra deck Monster" › "Hardly Searchable main deck monster".

And in a deck where you're able to go Bahamut (Rank 4 with 2 WATER monsters) you're likely to have a hard time getting that Kycoo.

With that said, You won't see me running Levia unironically... like... ever.

Jolan
9th November 2015, 12:51 PM
If not Levia, what's a good Rank 3 toolbox anyway? I haven't seen that many in people's decks, but the ones I have I can count on one hand.
- There's Dante for Milling, or core in BA
- Levair returns banished level 3 monsters, unique utility in that regard
- Mechquipped is effectively a 2-turn wall to let you stall for time
- Zenmaines is a worse Angineer, because it can be run over easier, 3 times in 1 turn isn't exceptionally hard.
- Acid Golem is sometimes ran as a beatstick

And that's it. What else is there?

edit: not forgetting the PK xyz or the Water Megazord, they just aren't out yet.

Jakinus
9th November 2015, 05:43 PM
If not Levia, what's a good Rank 3 toolbox anyway? I haven't seen that many in people's decks, but the ones I have I can count on one hand.
- There's Dante for Milling, or core in BA
- Levair returns banished level 3 monsters, unique utility in that regard
- Mechquipped is effectively a 2-turn wall to let you stall for time
- Zenmaines is a worse Angineer, because it can be run over easier, 3 times in 1 turn isn't exceptionally hard.
- Acid Golem is sometimes ran as a beatstick

And that's it. What else is there?

There's also Number 47: Nightmare Shark, it can make itself or a Trishula/Acid Golem attack directly.

Number 49: Fortune Tune have the same utililty as Zenmaines, maybe not as good because it doesn't pop a card at EP but not being targeted by card effects, gain LP and recycle levels 3 make up for it.

If you're running the Speedroids as a Rank 3 engine, Totem Bird is also nice because it can negate a Raigeki, a TT or a Bottomless.

Alucard can pops backrow and M-X-Saber Invoker summons a monster from the deck.

Mofiz
9th November 2015, 06:53 PM
I think the card does have a lot of potential if used correctly but the main issue here is its low ATK. It can't survive much. Sure it can weaken a monster with 2500 or less ATK so it can survive but that's a waste of it. If played with cards that have field control otherwise, like something that stops Spells or Attacks, it can be pretty deadly but on its own it's just too much effort for its impact