PDA

View Full Version : Which Archetype/Mechanic do you wish they hadn't abandoned?

SynjoDeonecros
16th November 2015, 01:36 AM
So, it seems like Konami has a bunch of ideas that just don't go anywhere or are one-off things, like Graydles, Aromages, etc. But this has been going on for much longer, so I'd like to know, which mechanic or archetype do you think they need to revisit?

Personally, I wish they hadn't given up on the whole senet-switch idea. I mean, I know why they did, because duelists don't usually follow the rules with changing a card's zone position and there's so many confusions over what to do when a monster or a spell or trap are put in the wrong area, but they're doing fine with Pendulums, with the whole "Monsters are also spells in their own zone" thing, so why not revisit senet switch? They're coming out with more cards that can block usage of certain zones, so why not take advantage of that fact?

I also wish they'd do more with the Gemini sub-archetype. I mean, yeah, I know it's a bit hard to make them work properly, but with the Normal Pendulums out there providing Normal Monster support that they can take advantage of and whatnot, I think they can really capitalize on going full-force with a Gemini archetype. That, and I think they're missing a huge opportunity by not making a Gemini archetype based on were-creatures and shapeshifter yokai; think about it, monsters that are treated as weakling "normal human" Beast-Warriors until they're Gemini Summoned into big, burly, effect-powered Beast-Warriors. Hell, Konami already owns the rights to an arcade game where the name of the game is shapeshifting beatdown, so why not?

I'd also like to see more generic Union combinations, or generic Union monsters in general. Honestly, I think it would've been better had the Ritual Beast monsters been a Union archetype, with the Spiritual Beasts equipping onto the Ritual Beast Tamers.

LolsterXD97
16th November 2015, 01:44 AM
If they made "The Seal Of Orichalcos" like it was in the Anime, the Senet Switch idea could have been improved. I wished they didn't abandon the WP, becuase how are we going to get the rest of the unrevealed "Numbers"? I also wish they didn't abandon the themes with a story like Shaddoll and Zefras (They just left the story hanging on in the air).

Dread Kaiser
16th November 2015, 01:53 AM
Mechanic, All of them not named Xyz
Archetype: All of them, period

The Sonic Duck
16th November 2015, 03:29 AM
I've always personally wanted more LV monsters and LV support. I felt it could have become something really good if Konami had bothered to follow through with them. Imagine a whole bunch of support that worked along the lines of Level Up!

ScionStorm
16th November 2015, 06:26 AM
Senet. Abandoned before it really even began. Like a stillborn child...

Thanako
16th November 2015, 06:30 AM
Remember when they were this close to reviving Gusto? When they hinted at a Tuner, and gave people the brief hope that there would be a brand new Synchro Monster for the deck? And then remember when they instead made the Ritual Beast deck that despite being slower than the actual meta got hit in the TCG banlist (this IS the TCG section) for no reason? I sure remember.

Sanokal
16th November 2015, 08:52 AM
They don't make Duel Terminal archetype support unless it fits in the story or it's featured in the anime.
Cannahawk was hit to kill loops.

Pendulum
16th November 2015, 09:11 AM
I would appreciate Unions too. More XYZ are welcome.
Also, more generic and easy to summon but not broken Rituals would be nice.

ScionStorm
16th November 2015, 09:30 AM
How about exploring more union monsters that aren't machine types?

Also, I would really like to see more Gem-Knight Lady monsters eventually. Mostly just cause I'm a Steven Universe fan, but also, it's nice to have the archetype not be entirely male chauvanistic. Then again, look how they tackled that with the Igknights...

It's still possible though. For the anime to do. Masumi wasn't carded, and I have been imagining that while the Lancers A-team has been away trying to make allies against the Academia, there would have to be a Lancers B-Team assembled at some point by Reiji's mom to protect the homefront in case of any further Academia raids. Masumi and Yaiba from LDS, plus Meiru and Tatsuya would be a good place to start.

Anyway, when are they going to finish the Arcana series?

サッシ
16th November 2015, 11:10 AM
Anyway, when are they going to finish the Arcana series?

This reminds me that I'd really like to see the Planet Series finally completed. Having all of the cards printed is definitely something I want to see happening in the future.

Jolan
16th November 2015, 01:06 PM
Aliens with proper A-counters mechanic would have been nice. It's not even printed on some of the cards jfc.

Vulnoth
16th November 2015, 01:50 PM
As stated already, Unions (XYZ redesign please?) and LV (a playable Dark Lucius would be great) would be good to revisit.
But an archetype? Dark Crisis era Archfiends. All. The. Way. Forget the pseudo-Fire Kings crap and revive one of the first coherent archetypes, because there's a lot of room for original ideas. Heck, throwing a d6 into the equation makes it all the more original on its own.

Hope in the Interstice
16th November 2015, 02:09 PM
Heck, throwing a d6 into the equation makes it all the more original on its own.
That reminds me of this one time I thought up a "Quantum" archetype; the main deck monsters have ranks instead of levels and, when summoned, a die is rolled and they get an effect from that. One of them can gain ATK, attack twice, inflict piercing, be an Armades, or so on.

Volteccer
17th November 2015, 09:13 PM
Not a mechanic per se, but it's been a while since generic Fire cards were supported. I used to run a fire deck during the GX era. Then 5D's came out and the only way for it to keep up even at locals was to make it all Flamvell.

Jakinus
17th November 2015, 11:10 PM
Fish support, please. Coelacanth is one of my favorite boss monsters and I wish to see more fish monsters and WATER synchros.

Also more Rose monsters/support and some would be nice to have.

Megamaw
18th November 2015, 05:17 AM
No one remembers Sea Serpents. Atlanteans came out, and that's basically all we've really gotten other than Slushy for the last long while.

Also, SLIMES. Slimes/Jams had so much neat anime support(in DM and GX), but never really got anything in real life.

But, uh, Rank 4 ended up being the easiest Xyz monsters to summon. That's fine. What's not fine is that they're the most powerful rank in the game.

Harder to summon Rank 1/2/6/9 monsters generally aren't worth it in comparison. Photon Strike Bounzer is really good, yeah-- but it's limited to effects on the field. There's so many hard to summon monsters that are just outright outclassed by their Rank 4 compatible counterparts. Ptoly doesn't help the situation.

I guess what I'm getting at is...

We need more Rank 1 monsters.

SynjoDeonecros
18th November 2015, 07:20 PM
Thunder wouldn't be bad; the last Thunder support we got was Watts, which were a bit disappointing.

Brightshine Stardust
19th November 2015, 07:31 AM
Watt would have been great had direct attack is a much more supported mechanic.

-----

If Senet is the king of abandoned mechanic, then NEX is the queen. They didn't even finish what they did with Glow Moss......

-----

Charmer also still needs their closure with FP Lyna and the real Spiritual Art for Dharc. For whatever reason they abandoned the usual pattern when printing Charmer cards, and just flat out didn't print FP Lyna & Dharc's Spiritual Art to this day.

Based on the previously established pattern, where Charmer-related cards are printed in pairs close to each other, FP Lyna and Dharc's Spiritual Art should have been in Return of the Duelist and Abyss Rising respectively, or Legacy of the Valiant and Primal Origin. None of those 4 sets have the cards. Breakers of Shadow didn't have FP Lyna either, meaning it's extremely unlikely that Shining Victories will have Dharc's Spiritual Art.

When are they going to be printed????

-----

Venom and Iron Chain are two archetypes that really need more cards. Unfortunately their use in the anime were never meant to last for more than 2 episodes.

-----

Nordic feels like an archetype they want to abandon right from the start, due to how bad some of the cards are. No wonder despite all the articles and promotions, Nordic still fails to lure in players. I wish they had made them better, because I like Norse Mythology......

R3QU13M
19th November 2015, 01:13 PM
Dark Scorpions, Phantom Beasts, Cloudians, Neo Spacians, and whatever else people have already mentioned.

King
19th November 2015, 02:43 PM
Generic Fusion monsters its about time

Sotavento
19th November 2015, 05:00 PM
Remember when they were this close to reviving Gusto? When they hinted at a Tuner, and gave people the brief hope that there would be a brand new Synchro Monster for the deck? And then remember when they instead made the Ritual Beast deck that despite being slower than the actual meta got hit in the TCG banlist (this IS the TCG section) for no reason? I sure remember.

That was the hardest bitch slap I've ever had in my life. All hopes and dreams were ruined. Tears were shed. And since Ritual Beasts are considered an aged version of Gustos, I suppose they're done with Gustos for good. I cri.

Sanokal
19th November 2015, 06:19 PM
Their part in the Duel Terminal story ended, thus they didn't get any further cards, and Cannahawk was hit to prevent loops.

SynjoDeonecros
19th November 2015, 07:05 PM
Yeah, NEX seems like another good set, if they can figure out the mechanic for it. I mean, the evolved versions cut down on the number of original versions you can have in your deck (though you should only need one of the evolved forms at any one time), and NEX seems awkward.

R3QU13M
19th November 2015, 08:45 PM
Worms too, Future Fusion is banned. They need their own fusion card .

SynjoDeonecros
20th November 2015, 01:30 AM
Hazy Flames. What happened to them? They got all of their support in Cosmo Blazer, other than Hippogryph and Hyrda, and then after those came out, nothing.

Deadborder
20th November 2015, 02:13 AM
someday maybe we'll see decent mill support that falls somewhere between the spectrum of bicorn re'em tier and empty jar tier

Hope in the Interstice
20th November 2015, 02:14 AM
someday maybe we'll see decent mill support that falls somewhere between the spectrum of bicorn re'em tier and empty jar tier
Sorry, could you clarify on Bicorn Re'em? I came back too recently to know what this is.

ScionStorm
20th November 2015, 02:35 AM
Yeah, NEX seems like another good set, if they can figure out the mechanic for it. I mean, the evolved versions cut down on the number of original versions you can have in your deck (though you should only need one of the evolved forms at any one time), and NEX seems awkward.
NEX is the reason I want Konami to raise the Extra Deck limit to 20 cards.

Worms too, Future Fusion is banned. They need their own fusion card .

The Alphabet may be over for them but I was always hoping Worm Zero was both the last Alphabet Worm and the first Numerical Worm fusion monster. Like, there would be 10. Ranging from Worm Zero to Worm Nine. Of course by now I suppose they could change that to having the Numerical Worms be multi-Extra dimensional. Synchro and Xyz worms included.

I wish we'd gotten more Spirit monsters from the original Japanese Deity theme.

Icematoro
20th November 2015, 02:36 AM
Cannahawk was hit to prevent loops.

If they really wanted to kill loops Canna would be at 0, you only need a single Canna to make the deck's loop, and stopping it without a Counter Trap (or a well timed Traptrix Trap hole) is HARD, so it's not "Well, you stop that 1 and the deck can't loop", they did it to slow/kill the deck and sell new ones, not even for Shaddolls the hit is that blatantly obvious. Rampenta knows I'll miss that Canna...

Either that, or it was Kevin Tewart's Salt hit of the Format, he did kept Glad beasts Hit for so long because he hated them...

Sanokal
20th November 2015, 10:26 AM
If they really wanted to kill loops Canna would be at 0, you only need a single Canna to make the deck's loop, and stopping it without a Counter Trap (or a well timed Traptrix Trap hole) is HARD, so it's not "Well, you stop that 1 and the deck can't loop", they did it to slow/kill the deck and sell new ones, not even for Shaddolls the hit is that blatantly obvious. Rampenta knows I'll miss that Canna...

Either that, or it was Kevin Tewart's Salt hit of the Format, he did kept Glad beasts Hit for so long because he hated them...

It can loop itself, correct? In any case it means that there's less of a chance of twenty-minute turns.

ScionStorm
20th November 2015, 11:16 AM
More Jinzo support cards plus another couple Jinzo monsters so Jinzo #7 can legitimately be the 7th Jinzo monster. Jinzos only have one direct support card, also Amplifier and indirectly-Psychic Shockwave.

Also, how about pairing them up with an Spell Canceller archetype? Poor thing's got left in the dust.

Can we just finish up the Hex-Sealed Fusions already?
And the Fire Effigy and Water Effigy? Where are they?

Pendulum
20th November 2015, 11:27 AM
More Jinzo support cards plus another couple Jinzo monsters so Jinzo #7 can legitimately be the 7th Jinzo monster. Jinzos only have one direct support card, also Amplifier and indirectly-Psychic Shockwave.

Also, how about pairing them up with an Spell Canceller archetype? Poor thing's got left in the dust.

Since I like Jinzo, I support this. But I don't want a Lock archetype.

Can we just finish up the Hex-Sealed Fusions already?
And the Fire Effigy and Water Effigy? Where are they?

Forgotten.
What ideas do you have for the Effigys to become playable?

ScionStorm
20th November 2015, 11:43 AM
Forgotten.
What ideas do you have for the Effigys to become playable?

Don't over think it. They should just be what they were meant to be. They should have come out a long time ago. Attribute fusers and normal tribute support. Never know what the future of the game will bring. But we do know the past of the game is full of holes.

And here's another one: Bamboo Sword.

Pendulum
20th November 2015, 12:01 PM
Don't over think it. They should just be what they were meant to be. They should have come out a long time ago. Attribute fusers and normal tribute support. Never know what the future of the game will bring. But we do know the past of the game is full of holes.

And here's another one: Bamboo Sword.

Yeah, I know. They should just release the missing Effigys, just because they're missing, right? I was just asking to see if you had any ideas on how to use them. For funny things, that is.

Bamboo Sword received a small boost in NECH. Maybe other holes will be filled as the game goes.

R3QU13M
20th November 2015, 12:16 PM
Cyberdarks???

SynjoDeonecros
20th November 2015, 04:53 PM
Speaking of the Effigies, they should release more level 7 and above Normal Wind monsters, to make Wind Effigy useful.

ScionStorm
20th November 2015, 08:51 PM
The Dark and Light Effigies were released together in the same set that introduced Gemini monsters.

imjusthereformfunsmh
20th November 2015, 09:06 PM
Maybe a revamp of the Lvl monsters to make them competitive! I wishfully think that horus lvl8 would be good against pendulums but not so. As for archetypes I wish they converted every card in anime into the actual game

SynjoDeonecros
20th November 2015, 09:34 PM
I'd like more Beast-Warrior support and Normal Monster support. The Fire Formations and Normal Pendulums are good, but we need more to make a cohesive deck with them.

Michelle
22nd November 2015, 05:13 PM
So, it seems like Konami has a bunch of ideas that just don't go anywhere or are one-off things, like Graydles, Aromages, etc.

Like Madolches were before LTGY mhm?

I do not think one-shot themes are so easily forsaken, their issues lie within they not being Konami's baby deck, if Konami has teached us something, is that they'll revive anything deemed popular enough, even if it still doesn't go anywhere.

SynjoDeonecros
22nd November 2015, 06:49 PM
Like Madolches were before LTGY mhm?

I do not think one-shot themes are so easily forsaken, their issues lie within they not being Konami's baby deck, if Konami has teached us something, is that they'll revive anything deemed popular enough, even if it still doesn't go anywhere.

Well, they already said that stuff like Senet mechanic they are completely abandoning, so yeah, that's what I mean.

ScionStorm
22nd November 2015, 08:15 PM
Well, they already said that stuff like Senet mechanic they are completely abandoning, so yeah, that's what I mean.

We don't have any proof yet that suggests those one-shot archetypes from this year will remain one-shot. I don't think we'll know with any suggestion if they were designed that way until at least after the next set. It could just be a string of one-shots while the elemental Pendulums play out and then they could start plugging 2 or 3 cards of support for 2015 archetypes in the later 2016 sets. There would certainly be much more room. Even enough room to plug all of the one-shot main set archetypes for a few cards as well as introduce a new continuing archetype and a legacy archetype.

Okay, so am I the only one curious what second generation Assault Mode monsters would be like. Since we are subtly returning Synchro monsters to the game this year.

SynjoDeonecros
24th November 2015, 10:46 PM
At the very least, I know they specifically stated that they were not going to bring back the senet switch mechanic, because of how confusing it kept on being for people, which is why they changed the "monsters summoned in the spell/trap zones as monsters" effect for The Seal of Orichalcos.

ScionStorm
25th November 2015, 12:58 AM
I for some reason expected more Prime Material monsters.

Crescendo
26th November 2015, 03:53 PM
For mechanics, Union monsters haven't really been expanded upon in a really long time. And I'm not talking about monsters that can equip to other monsters, I'm talking monsters with the word Union in its name. I'd like more cards for them, they were a fun idea.

As for Archetypes, I don't think it will happen, but I hope one of these days we get more Noble Knight support. They got a box set of course, but, some more cards would be great. It's a longshot, but hey, like I said, it would be nice. c:

I also wouldn't mind an archetype based around the mirror force variants. Have monsters that work like traptrix, where they are unaffected by Mirror Force or Force cards, and maybe some could have the effect that a Mirror Force or Force card you control cannot be negated. I think it'd be an interesting one. c:

Volteccer
27th November 2015, 02:18 AM
Another neglected mechanic are generic equip cards. The only decks that use them are ones with a specific archtype focus.

Crescendo
27th November 2015, 03:46 AM
Another neglected mechanic are generic equip cards. The only decks that use them are ones with a specific archtype focus.

Eh, they release some. Psychic Blade is a good example, which honestly isn't even that bad of a card.

SynjoDeonecros
27th November 2015, 04:25 AM
As stated before, I'd like some stronger Normal Monsters, to take advantage of the Normal Pendulum support we have. And I don't just mean more 2000 ATK Level 4 monsters, I mean stronger level 5 and 6 monsters, as well; Frostosaurus and Trance are a bit hard to come across, they're so old and haven't been reprinted, so some more 2600 ATK 5/6 Normal Monsters would work. And for the love of Ra, can we please get a 2-Tribute Normal Monster that can meet or beat BEWD in terms of ATK? I'm tired of these almost-but-not-quite-powerful monsters that Konami likes to tease us with.

The Sonic Duck
27th November 2015, 04:36 AM
I was just skimming through old DM era cards and I remembered Parasite Parricide. It's the only card in the game which puts itself in the opponents deck. It's a shame that Konami never bothered to do anything with it because it's a really interesting gameplay mechanic and I would love to see it expanded. Either as more insect types like Parasite or Something like ghosts and Poltergeist which are shuffled into your opponents deck or hand and "possess" their deck.

ScionStorm
27th November 2015, 04:41 AM
I was just skimming through old DM era cards and I remembered Parasite Parricide. It's the only card in the game which puts itself in the opponents deck. It's a shame that Konami never bothered to do anything with it because it's a really interesting gameplay mechanic and I would love to see it expanded. Either as more insect types like Parasite or Something like ghosts and Poltergeist which are shuffled into your opponents deck or hand and "possess" their deck.

Still waiting for Reckless Parasite spell card to come out.