PDA

View Full Version : Demon's Souls is the origin of Pendulums.

Archsorcerer
29th December 2015, 10:00 PM
I'm of the idea that the Souls series by From Software inspired the pendulum summon mechanism.

Luster Pendulum is to me the epitome of it, not Odd-Eyes. Kinda represents the undying warrior that comes back and the pendulums together form the bonfire from which he comes back.

The artwork used in Clash of the Dracorivals reminds a lot of the PVP scenarios you find in those games.

And I feel the series also inspire the Phantom Knights and Felgrand support.

"Felgrand is a wondrous dragon. Like a magnificent father!
If only I could be so grossly incandescent!" :P

Icematoro
30th December 2015, 12:36 AM
I'm of the idea that the Souls series by From Software inspired the pendulum summon mechanism.

Luster Pendulum is to me the epitome of it, not Odd-Eyes. Kinda represents the undying warrior that comes back and the pendulums together form the bonfire from which he comes back.

The artwork used in Clash of the Dracorivals reminds a lot of the PVP scenarios you find in those games.

And I feel the series also inspire the Phantom Knights and Felgrand support.

"Felgrand is a wondrous dragon. Like a magnificent father!
If only I could be so grossly incandescent!" :P

As much as I like the idea (Because the Dark Souls series is Awesome), Sounds a little too farfetched. :(

Volteccer
30th December 2015, 01:09 AM
I think it's just an evolution of the philosophy that the hero should never be without their ace on the field, which I believe started during the last season of 5D's and continued through the entirety of ZeXal before incorporating it into the mechanics of the next series.

clairedestroyer!
30th December 2015, 01:49 AM
Incredibly spurious. At best you made a connection between the Dracoslayers and the Souls series (which doesn't even cover the entirety of "pendulum mechanic" and I can't fathom a connection between Challenging Dark WRPG and "You put these two cards here and you can summon dudes") which is weak in itself and much more likely just a result of both being inspired by a long history of Low Fantasy art.

If I had to guess where pendulum inspiration came from, I'd mostly look to ygo's own history. Stuff like trap monsters (the difference here being you're actually forced to use your card as one or the other, instead of a trap that just becomes a body) and the manga's playing around with combining cards and subtypes that are unusual (like Field Trap Cards) are things that can be pointed to as inspiration, and are a lot more natural to follow.

Archsorcerer
30th December 2015, 05:05 AM
The retrain of Luster Pendulum hints to the loss of memories suffered by the cast of the Souls series. I do think there is a connection but until KoJ confirms, it's just something in the air.

Icematoro
30th December 2015, 05:09 AM
The retrain of Luster Pendulum hints to the loss of memories suffered by the cast of the Souls series. I do think there is a connection but until KoJ confirms, it's just something in the air.

Amnesia is one of, if not THE most used Clichè in writing tho...
Unless we get a direct connection between Luster P and the Undead, it's not very reasonable to jump to such conclusions, sorry...

Hope in the Interstice
30th December 2015, 05:12 AM
Amnesia is one of, if not THE most used Clichè in writing tho...
Indeed it is. More than likely, this is all just a big coincidence. Actually, it's a small coincidence because the lone hero charging the great evil is also the intro of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

clairedestroyer!
30th December 2015, 07:35 AM
It's worth noting that Luster's story of "he was bad, but he's redeemed himself" is entirely contrary to the Souls idea of heroes, who are either entirely blank slates manipulated by everything with a pulse (your Chosen Undeads and Slayers of Demons) or are almost invariably stricken with sadness/lunacy and become a mockery of their own ideals. Souls is very aggressively antithetical to the story and progression Konami is setting up. Again, the only similarities are dreadfully common fantasy tropes that you could find in thousands of other pieces of media.

R3QU13M
1st January 2016, 12:30 PM
Highly recommend anyone to play this game if they stll own a PS3.