PDA

View Full Version : ARC-V Episode 88: Lightning vs Thousand Birds

KingJinzo
10th January 2016, 01:10 PM
This episode decides the duel between our protagonist and the Blackwing player. Now for the obvious appearances. Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon and Chidori the Left-Handed. The Equip Card we've seen in the last episode and in the preview comes to play and it's pretty much foolproof. And I love it whenever I see Roget's plans don't go according to what he wants.
The Obelisk Force are mimicking Kaito by using kites (pun intended). Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon is summoned with its wings and disobeys a lot. The effect of Death works better with Beelze as long as Beelze's effect doesn't get negated. Crow tries to copy Jack by using a Trap Card that is very similar to Trust Guardian. While I love Odd-Eyes Rebellion, I hate the fact that it has not defeated a single monster by battle since its introduction. It was interrupted against Sabre Tiger, defeated by Kali Yuga, and fails three times against Raikiri. And it is defeated by Chidori, and the thing that defeated Chidori was the Equip Spell. And still no breath attack from the opening (Hanki no Lightning Burst?).
Well, the tournament is officially screwed. Neither Yugo nor Sergey will arrive at the Duel Palace's destination and the conditions of the Lancers aren't good. Serena can't move, Reira looks like he will faint any moment, the "loser" trio are in the underground, and I predict that Yuya will suffer the "Kaiser effect". I mean receiving electroshocks in their heart or in their brain is never healthy. Okay, Reiji, it's time for quick thinking.

Let me praise the power of Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon. It does almost the same thing like Wisel and Mekanikle. It's so powerful, it totally screws up Roget's plans (and is accidently trying to kill Yuya).

LolsterXD97
10th January 2016, 02:21 PM
I like when Roger has his plans fucked. But that Equip Spell was broken and beautiful, indirect Dimensional Dragon support. And Chidori beating the crap out of OERD was awesome.

yshipster
10th January 2016, 03:03 PM
Just a reminder that Death won't work with Beelze:
Cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. When you take damage from an attack involving this card, or from an opponent's card effect: This card gains ATK equal to the damage you took.

I really hate it that the recent two-part duels are all doing the same thing: They have like 3 or 4 turns in the first part but only 1 or 2 in the second. This limits the actions each duelist can do a lot. Remember that intense duel between Sora and Shun? Shun vs Dennis was not that intense for me at all. He just used RR - Ratellite Cannon Falcons effect for like 10 minutes...
And in todays episode it was the same. Yuya attacked like 5 minutes with OERD, while we already knew that Crow won't lose to it. Plot armor kills excitement a lot nowadays. The only surprise was, that Crow lost to the equip Spell during his Battle Phase, instead of Death the Mourning Wind during the End Phase.

Anyways, I really liked it that Crows D-Wheel can still fly. Also random Sora jumping on Crows D-Wheel and then disappearing completely 10 seconds later. I also liked the fact that OERD was so powerful that Rogers plan got still screwed. And Academia attacks with kites now.

I'm pretty interested in next weks episode, since it seems like Tsukikage is fighting three Academia soldiers on his own.

LolsterXD97
10th January 2016, 03:41 PM
Cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. When you take damage from an attack involving this card, or from an opponent's card effect: This card gains ATK equal to the damage you took.

I really hate it that the recent two-part duels are all doing the same thing: They have like 3 or 4 turns in the first part but only 1 or 2 in the second. This limits the actions each duelist can do a lot. Remember that intense duel between Sora and Shun? Shun vs Dennis was not that intense for me at all. He just used RR - Ratellite Cannon Falcons effect for like 10 minutes...
And in todays episode it was the same. Yuya attacked like 5 minutes with OERD, while we already knew that Crow won't lose to it. Plot armor kills excitement a lot nowadays. The only surprise was, that Crow lost to the equip Spell during his Battle Phase, instead of Death the Mourning Wind during the End Phase.

Anyways, I really liked it that Crows D-Wheel can still fly. Also random Sora jumping on Crows D-Wheel and then disappearing completely 10 seconds later. I also liked the fact that OERD was so powerful that Rogers plan got still screwed. And Academia attacks with kites now.

I'm pretty interested in next weks episode, since it seems like Tsukikage is fighting three Academia soldiers on his own.

Yeah, 2 turns at the second part is bullshit, for that reason Sora vs Shun and Yuya vs Reiji are some of the better Duels because they keep the climax with more turns. And I still think Crow screw the rules with the ABF because he always Tunes Tuners with Tuners (See Kusanagi).

KingJinzo
10th January 2016, 04:13 PM

What do you mean? Death's effect won't be triggered as long as Beelze's Continuous Effect would not be negated. The second effect of Beelze has nothing to do with Death's effect. And Death won't kill you if Beelze leaves the field otherwise than destruction. The point of Beelze is that is the best candidate for Death, since most other monsters could be destroyed easily and causing you to lose automatically. Receiving damage has nothing to do with Death.

It does not work in real life, I admit, but theoretically, you won't die that easily with Beelze.

Okay, I figured you were referencing Death's real life damage effect.

Volteccer
10th January 2016, 04:44 PM
Yeah, 2 turns at the second part is bullshit, for that reason Sora vs Shun and Yuya vs Reiji are some of the better Duels because they keep the climax with more turns. And I still think Crow screw the rules with the ABF because he always Tunes Tuners with Tuners (See Kusanagi).

Yeah; between using Raikiri as a non-tuner for Chidori, and the fact he didn't even try and use it's effect to take down Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon, I was wondering if that Cursed Guard negated the equipped monster's effect as well.

yshipster
10th January 2016, 05:29 PM

The Synchros are only treated as Tuners while Synchro Summoned on the field, but not anymore if they are Special Summoned from the Graveyard again.

Yeah; between using Raikiri as a non-tuner for Chidori, and the fact he didn't even try and use it's effect to take down Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon, I was wondering if that Cursed Guard negated the equipped monster's effect as well.

The Equip Spell negates the destruction of the equipped monster by card effects.

What do you mean? Death's effect won't be triggered as long as Beelze's Continuous Effect would not be negated. The second effect of Beelze has nothing to do with Death's effect. And Death won't kill you if Beelze leaves the field otherwise than destruction. The point of Beelze is that is the best candidate for Death, since most other monsters could be destroyed easily and causing you to lose automatically. Receiving damage has nothing to do with Death.

It does not work in real life, I admit, but theoretically, you won't die that easily with Beelze.

Okay, I figured you were referencing Death's real life damage effect.

In theory yes, but Beelze won't be ever in Arc-V...

Volteccer
10th January 2016, 06:46 PM
The Synchros are only treated as Tuners while Synchro Summoned on the field, but not anymore if they are Special Summoned from the Graveyard again.

The Equip Spell negates the destruction of the equipped monster by card effects.

But Raikiri never left the field this time, so it should have still been a tuner, but it was treated as a non-tuner.

KingJinzo
10th January 2016, 07:00 PM
In theory yes, but Beelze won't be ever in ARC-V...
Don't need to tell me that, though.

But Raikiri never left the field this time, so it should have still been a tuner, but it was treated as a non-Tuner.
Maybe the anime version of Chidori has basically XX-Saber Gottom's summoning requirements.

LolsterXD97
10th January 2016, 07:09 PM
The Writers should have just gave all the ABF Phantom King Hyride's effect to not screw the rules.

Pendulum
10th January 2016, 07:18 PM
The Writers should have just gave all the ABF Phantom King Hyride's effect to not screw the rules.

This. Just this.
At least on the anime.

yshipster
10th January 2016, 08:08 PM
But Raikiri never left the field this time, so it should have still been a tuner, but it was treated as a non-tuner.

True, completely overlooked this...

Fun fact: Of those 3 level 3 Assault Blackwing Synchros Crow used against Gongenzaka:
- 1 (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Assault_Blackwing_-_Kuniyoshi_the_Fogbow) is treated as a Tuner when Synchro Summoned with a Blackwing monster
- 1 (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Assault_Blackwing_-_Kunifusa_the_Fogbow) can be treated as a Tuner when Synchro Summoned with a Blackwing monster
- 1 (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Assault_Blackwing_-_Kunisada_the_Fogbow) did not have this effect at all

I guess the writers had no idea how to handle Assault Blackwings in general at all...

Pendulum
10th January 2016, 08:50 PM
The lack of concept and criteria is not a novelty on Yu-Gi-Oh!...
They always choose to overcomplicate.

Volteccer
10th January 2016, 10:08 PM
True, completely overlooked this...

Fun fact: Of those 3 level 3 Assault Blackwing Synchros Crow used against Gongenzaka:
- 1 (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Assault_Blackwing_-_Kuniyoshi_the_Fogbow) is treated as a Tuner when Synchro Summoned with a Blackwing monster
- 1 (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Assault_Blackwing_-_Kunifusa_the_Fogbow) can be treated as a Tuner when Synchro Summoned with a Blackwing monster
- 1 (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Assault_Blackwing_-_Kunisada_the_Fogbow) did not have this effect at all

I guess the writers had no idea how to handle Assault Blackwings in general at all...

That doesn't sound too bad. One is always a tuner, one is always a non-tuner, and one can be either depending on circumstances. It's a nice way to differentiate them, at least.

Now, the simple solution would have been for Crow to just summon Shura or something and use Raikiri as the tuner. If I have read all the effects of Supreme Ruler's Wings correctly, the results should have been exactly the same.

Dread Kaiser
10th January 2016, 10:09 PM
Can't help but remember telling a lot of people that there was no way the tourny would finish...

Misses Fairlady
11th January 2016, 05:51 AM
Apparenly Security spotted 20 Obelisk Force?

Jolan
11th January 2016, 03:28 PM
Can't help but remember telling a lot of people that there was no way the tourny would finish...

I thought it was a long time spoiler that Academia would invade before the Tourney's end? For some reason I seem to recall that sort of statement as well, but no clue where from.

Sanokal
12th January 2016, 08:53 PM
And yet somehow I don't think that the tournament (or at the very least the intended result) will end that easily. The duel with Jack will at the very least happen.
Whether or not Yuri and Yugo settle things, Sergey will likely end up Dueling Yuya (speaking of Sergey, if he doesn't get some good screentime terrorizing the hell out of the Obelisk Force I'll be very disappointed). I'm not sure the exact ratios of survivors of course, but hopefully we'll see some decent fights.

Onto the review at hand!

Predictably, Yuya brings out Odd-Eyes Rebellion, and immediately, Roget fails again. His plans are crumbling like a house of cards, which makes me wonder whether Sergey will become a Dragon Ascendant and just start wrecking stuff. But enough about that, Yuya begins wrecking stuff in the present, which forces Crow to pull out some pretty neat moves and come that damn close to winning the duel. Once again, just for how well he's been handled, I wouldn't have minded a win, but of course it wasn't going to happen. On that note, thankfully he and Yuya seem to have finally patched things up, while Sora is pretty much as much on the good guy's side (or almost) as Celina is. I dislike you Sora, but you've stopped acting like a prick, so I'll let it slide for now.

It was tense, watching this. I haven't seen the previews, so I didn't know what would end up happening with Yuya, and the whole time I was just begging for things to work out. A good episode, even if we were deprived of seeing the last monster effect of Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon coming into play. Everyone is just (or is going to be) a wreck.

Mari
12th January 2016, 11:11 PM
So I've been thinking about something regarding the preview. It's a bit weird that they're getting Ebina and Hara to animate next episode in what so far just looks to be Tsukikage's carding, so I've been predicting what's going to happen in the rest of the episode from hints left in both the preview and episode 88

What I mainly think is going to happen, is that Tsukikage is about to lose but Sora arrives to the scene just in time. It just seems like the kind of thing that the writers would do, Sora rescuing Tsukikage even though he carded Hikage.

But there's also the hint that Sora gave this episode regarding him thinking about interrupting the duel between Yuya and Crow; that if he wants to beat Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon, he has to bring out his strongest monster. Which either means he has a fusion monster with more than 3000 ATK or something along those lines, and he will be debuting that monster next episode when saving Tsukikage, which I imagine will have a badass summoning animation.

My third point is Fusion Trench (http://http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Fusion_Trench). It has already happened before that the Obelisk Force has been beaten by using their own cards against them, and Sora taking advantage of it seems to be appropriate considering that is the card that is probably giving Tsukikage the most problems in that duel.

LolsterXD97
12th January 2016, 11:30 PM
So I've been thinking about something regarding the preview. It's a bit weird that they're getting Ebina and Hara to animate next episode in what so far just looks to be Tsukikage's carding, so I've been predicting what's going to happen in the rest of the episode from hints left in both the preview and episode 88

What I mainly think is going to happen, is that Tsukikage is about to lose but Sora arrives to the scene just in time. It just seems like the kind of thing that the writers would do, Sora rescuing Tsukikage even though he carded Hikage.

But there's also the hint that Sora gave this episode regarding him thinking about interrupting the duel between Yuya and Crow; that if he wants to beat Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon, he has to bring out his strongest monster. Which either means he has a fusion monster with more than 3000 ATK or something along those lines, and he will be debuting that monster next episode when saving Tsukikage, which I imagine will have a badass summoning animation.

My third point is Fusion Trench (http://http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Fusion_Trench). It has already happened before that the Obelisk Force has been beaten by using their own cards against them, and Sora taking advantage of it seems to be appropriate considering that is the card that is probably giving Tsukikage the most problems in that duel.

Frightfur Wolf's debut would be more adequate since it can OTK thanks to Fusion Trench.

Mari
12th January 2016, 11:40 PM
Frightfur Wolf's debut would be more adequate since it can OTK thanks to Fusion Trench.

That's also a possibility. Tsukikage summoning Getsuga means one Obelisk mook is at 2000 LP, and if Sora uses his entire hand to summon Wolf then he has 5 attacks. It's the clean kind of OTK that the duel writers often go for.

Dyson Sphere
13th January 2016, 12:48 AM
i hope that Soras still evil and we get to see him card more people

kuchiki
13th January 2016, 09:37 AM
Every time Yuya goes berserk they make it as though odd-eyes rebellion dragon is the villain of the duel. I'm glad Crow was able to help Yuya out and regain conscious after the duel. Nice to see crow use death the wind star and chidori for an amazing finish to take out odd-eyes rebellion. Sad to see that the tournament is now stopped cause of obelisk force but this will progress the story as Academia was going to invade eventually.

I still hope Yuya gets the chance to duel Jack again sometime in the future and maybe Jack will reminiscence about an old friend which Yuya reminds him of then this would complete my nostalgia love for possible Yusei cameo. Overall, great episode and looking forward to watching the next.

yshipster
14th January 2016, 05:32 PM

It was more about that Sora said that only his strongest monster could beat the 3000 ATK OERD. Since he mentioned OERD's ATK, he most likely refers to a monster he owns with a higher ATK. And I guess it is just a matter of time until we get a better Frightfur boss than Chimera or Saber-Tooth...

(Sorry that I'm a bit late with this, but I did not had the time to watch eipsode 88 with subs until now)

LolsterXD97
14th January 2016, 05:35 PM
It was more about that Sora said that only his strongest monster could beat the 3000 ATK OERD. Since he mentioned OERD's ATK, he most likely refers to a monster he owns with a higher ATK. And I guess it is just a matter of time until we get a better Frightfur boss than Chimera or Saber-Tooth...

(Sorry that I'm a bit late with this, but I did not had the time to watch eipsode 88 with subs until now)

Ignoring Yuya's Equip Spell, he would just need Leo or Tiger to take it down, or only Sabre Tiger and another Frightfur, but I don't deny he might have a Fusion with more than 3000 ATK.

Zarkiel
15th January 2016, 04:48 AM
Oddly enough, Jack atlas was not impressed by odd-eyes rebellion dragon. I'm thinking he's got to have an upgrade for that scar-right.

I really want to see more ancient gear stuff that isn't hound dog. Stuff that would support the deck more, like other monsters, preferably ones we haven't seen before.

Sanokal
15th January 2016, 06:50 AM
It wasn't that he wasn't impressed by Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon, it was the overall duel that didn't impress him. Jack is above everything bar the spirit of the duel.
Oh yeah, definitely.