PDA

View Full Version : The Kings in YGO

KingJinzo
12th January 2016, 05:06 PM
One of the many common things the five protagonists share is their asssociation with kings.

Atem was the Nameless Pharaoh of Egypt and he is the King of Games (Yugi-Oh) in Yugi's time. Essentially, Atem taking over Yugi's body basically transforms Yugi into the King of Games. This eventually became Yugi's official title since their victory in Duelist Kingdom and Yugi became the true King of Games after defeating his soulmate.

Judai is the reincarnation of the Supreme King (Haoh) and eventually became the Supreme King in season 3. He still has his powers in season 4, as briefly seen during his duel with Darkness.

Yusei became the Duel King after defeating Jack in the Fortune Cup, but that's the only thing that connects him with kings. Interestingly, Jack wouldn't be acknowledged as the Duel King if the people knew that he was from Satellite. While the people from Neo-Domino City accepted Yusei despite believing he is from Satellite, but Yusei was born in the Tops, making him more of an legitmate king. Another interesting thing to note is that Jack was the king while owning Stardust Dragon. But once he gave it to Yusei, Yusei eventually became the Duel King with this card. It's like Stardust Dragon is the key to the path of kings.

Speaking of key, Yuma is the holder of the Emperor's/King's Key (Oh no Kagi). His ace monster is King of Wishes, Hope.

Yuya's Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon has Supreme King Black Dragon (Haohkokuryuu) in its OCG name and he has the Equip Spell Card Supreme King's Wings (Haoh no Tsubasa). I'm certain that Odd-Eyes Wing Dragon and Odd-Eyes Venom Dragon will have Haohhakuryuu and Haohshiryuu in their names, respectively, if those dragons follow the Haoh pattern. Edit: Yuya uses for time to time the phrase "servant" for his monsters, something what Atem uses for his Black Magician. This might reflect Yuya's status as the "king" and his relationship with his monsters (the "servants").

Each of the five protagonists either use the power of light or darkness, or even both. Atem uses the power of darkness to play the Dark Games, but also the power of light to fight against evil darkness. Or even the power of chaos. Judai uses the Gentle Darkness to fight the Light of Destruction, but Neos represents the light of justice to fight against the evil Judai is fighting. Yusei and Yuma's ace monsters are associated with light. Yuya has darkness inside his heart and is often covered with dark energy when he's berserk. However, the light of his pendulum creates his new cards.

Dread Kaiser
12th January 2016, 05:11 PM
....um, ok
and?

Pendulum
12th January 2016, 05:15 PM
What do you mean with all of that? King is a higher entity among humans all over the world, hence why they probably use that title... As for Light and Darkness, it's the typical universal ambiguity, so... They use both to show a balance. It makes sense.
Is this a read-only article?

KingJinzo
12th January 2016, 10:20 PM
What do you mean with all of that? King is a higher entity among humans all over the world, hence why they probably use that title... As for Light and Darkness, it's the typical universal ambiguity, so... They use both to show a balance. It makes sense.
Is this a read-only article?

You can speculate about Yuya's connection to kings, especially the Supreme King. He may or may not be connected to Judai. Judai is associated with the Gentle Darkness, while the darkness inside Yuya is not necessarily evil. Yuya may be the new or the ARC-V version of the Supreme King.

Pendulum
12th January 2016, 10:27 PM
You can speculate about Yuya's connection to kings, especially the Supreme King. He may or may not be connected to Judai. Judai is associated with the Gentle Darkness, while the darkness inside Yuya is not necessarily evil. Yuya may be the new or the ARC-V version of the Supreme King.

Yuya is not evil. He has some weird Dark entity inside him. It makes him do bad things. They are not really bad, they are just powerful and environment-destroyer-like.
Why do you think it relates specifically with the Gentle Darkness?
Or why do you think it relates with the Supreme King?

KingJinzo
12th January 2016, 10:38 PM
Yuya is not evil. He has some weird Dark entity inside him. It makes him do bad things. They are not really bad, they are just powerful and environment-destroyer-like.
Why do you think it relates specifically with the Gentle Darkness?
Or why do you think it relates with the Supreme King?

His two cards, Haohkokuryuu Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon and Haoh no Tsubasa. Guess what's the translation of Haoh used in GX?

Pendulum
12th January 2016, 10:49 PM
Ok, I didn't know that.
But that doesn't necessarily mean anything. It might be just the same word. We will have to wait and see. But sure is interesting.

KingJinzo
12th January 2016, 11:02 PM
Ok, I didn't know that.
But that doesn't necessarily mean anything. It might be just the same word. We will have to wait and see. But sure is interesting.

I doubt it's coincidence that Yuya uses two cards with Haoh in their names, especially one a certain main character was the Haoh himself. Sure, Haoh isn't a word that's exclusively used in GX or YGO in general, but there has to be something behind it. Both, Yuya and Judai have the power of darkness inside their souls, which is probably not a coincidence either. And not to mention that Judai himself has odd eyes in GX. In BBT, his eyes are even red and green instead of Yubel's orange and turquoise-green. And both, Judai and Yuya are associated with red dragons, Osiris and Odd-Eyes. But could be Judai, who is a Osiris Red student, be actually Odd-Eyes? Nah, that's too much of a stretch.

By the way, I added above how Yuya addresses his monsters as his servants.

Sanokal
12th January 2016, 11:05 PM
It's not a coincidence but it also isn't the first time that there's been a nod to the Supreme King.

KingJinzo
12th January 2016, 11:11 PM
It's not a coincidence but it also isn't the first time that there's been a nod to the Supreme King.

The shout-outs are way too direct in Yuya's case. He specifically uses Supreme King cards, which are not subtle, but direct references to Judai.

Pendulum
12th January 2016, 11:50 PM
It's not a randomly thrown name, I agree.
But why on earth would Yuya relate particularly with a GX character, if GX is represented by the Fusion Dimension? Unless something happened to Yuya when he was little and that could be related with his father disappearance (if his father disappeared due to the Fusion Dimension).

Mari
12th January 2016, 11:57 PM
I don't think it means that Yuya is related to Judai in any way, shape or form but rather is just a symbolic callback just how the Fusion Dimension Academy is a callback to GX's Academy and even how Jack and Crow appear in the Synchro Dimension even though they're not the same people from 5D's.

Yuya having powers similar to the Supreme King IS meant to be a hint to something akin to Judai's Supreme King, but I doubt it's the same thing.

KingKaash
13th January 2016, 04:24 AM
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/neoencyclopedia/images/c/c7/Kaiba222Yu-Gi-OhGXEpisode140_PIC131-1-.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130703032207

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/yugioh/images/9/94/Berserk_Yuya_75.png/revision/latest?cb=20151002044938

Yuya looks a lot like Jaden (Judai) and has a lot of his similar characteristics. They are both fun loving characters at first that have dark spirits that reside inside of them later. It'll be interesting to see if Yuya's character changes so much like Jaden's does to the point where he won't really care about his friends in the same way he use to. In Season 4 Jaden cares about his friends safety but is simultaneously on a mission to defeat Darkness. And I think Yuya reflects Haou Supreme King the most when he goes into Berserk Mode. Look into their eyes

Sanokal
13th January 2016, 05:52 AM
He's got nods and differences to every protagonist, not just Jaden.

Pendulum
13th January 2016, 11:41 AM

I agree.

It's easy to find similarities between two Yu-Gi-Oh! characters. That doesn't mean they are necessarily related. Yuya is similar to all protagonists in some way.

KingKaash
14th January 2016, 04:54 AM

I understand that. But you wouldn't say Yuya is most like Yusei. I'm just saying he's following the same path Judai is. He resembles Judia the most in my opinion

Sanokal
14th January 2016, 05:27 AM
I understand that. But you wouldn't say Yuya is most like Yusei. I'm just saying he's following the same path Judai is. He resembles Judia the most in my opinion

I'd personally say that he identifies with Yugi and Yuma just as much; like Yugi he's been dealing with another spirit inside him and their memories and his overall outlook regarding dueling is pretty similar to Yuma.

Pendulum
14th January 2016, 09:56 AM
I'd personally say that he identifies with Yugi and Yuma just as much; like Yugi he's been dealing with another spirit inside him and their memories and his overall outlook regarding dueling is pretty similar to Yuma.

And he also has a pendant left by his father, just like Yuma. Everything counts.

KingKaash
15th January 2016, 07:44 PM

Yea I guess you're right. He draws characteristics from them all. But none of the past protagonist embraced the dark side as much as Judai. And I feel like Yuya is getting closer to that level of dark side as well.

Sanokal
15th January 2016, 08:29 PM
Aye, which is the elements that he draws from Jaden.