PDA

View Full Version : Why is Dennis such a non-menacing name?

Butter
14th January 2016, 08:18 PM
The character has 2 sides to him similar to Vector, has a likable personality, and uses one of the nost powerful archetypes out right now, but is named "Dennis".
Couldn't there be a more villainous name for him? If somebody told you they were being hunted by someone named Dennis, would you take them seriously?

King
14th January 2016, 08:26 PM
Dennis is the name of people who always try to screw you up, do not trust anyone with that name, the most iconic example for me is Armourer Dennis on Dark souls 2 this guy is a pain the ass thanks to him he made me dislike that name but ironically i play Dennis's Performage cards

Sanokal
14th January 2016, 08:57 PM
Dennis the Menace.

Pendulum
14th January 2016, 09:06 PM
Better than Johnny.

Dennis the Menace.

Dennis, the Evil Clown. ... Yeah... Denniiiisssss...

KingJinzo
14th January 2016, 09:28 PM
Because it would be too obvious. Although people predicted him to be evil before he was even introduced.
Voldemort's true name is Tom Riddle. Even he changed his name.

Remember this guy from the SpongeBob movie:
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/spongebob/images/9/94/The.Spongebob.Squarepants.Movie.avi_001923838.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120917112530

Baconator
14th January 2016, 11:52 PM
The character has 2 sides to him similar to Vector, has a likable personality, and uses one of the nost powerful archetypes out right now, but is named "Dennis".
Couldn't there be a more villainous name for him? If somebody told you they were being hunted by someone named Dennis, would you take them seriously?

Vector played umbral horrors. When was that one of the most powerful archetypes?

Yuuri
15th January 2016, 12:26 AM
Vector played umbral horrors. When was that one of the most powerful archetypes?

Back when we all imagined them getting more support. Oh wait, I don't think anyone imagined that.

But seriously, it doesn't take a "menacing" name to be an antagonist. One could have the most dull name in the world and still be an antagonist.

Sanokal
15th January 2016, 02:08 AM
Yeah, it's a shame that there wasn't more Umbral Horror support, it was a rather unique gimmick. Not that it hasn't stopped me from turning his strategy into R4NK in my Dissidia fic (mwha-hah-hah!)

Butter
15th January 2016, 02:40 AM
I was refering to Performages, my bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Back when we all imagined them getting more support. Oh wait, I don't think anyone imagined that.

But seriously, it doesn't take a "menacing" name to be an antagonist. One could have the most dull name in the world and still be an antagonist.

I understand what you mean, it's just lacking in the "whoa" factor. I guess it all worked out with him being a double agent and all. He didn't really need to sound scary to be secretive.

Yuuri
15th January 2016, 03:23 AM
I was refering to Performages, my bad.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand what you mean, it's just lacking in the "whoa" factor. I guess it all worked out with him being a double agent and all. He didn't really need to sound scary to be secretive.

I'll be honest and say that, in Dennis' last duel with Shun, his acting was terrible. Even when he was "serious", it seemed as though he was not even trying to be intimidating, or trying too hard, if anything.

Sanokal
15th January 2016, 06:51 AM
Eh, maybe Dennis just isn't that intimidating or as much of a dick. Or he likes to be subtle.

Butter
15th January 2016, 07:25 AM
Subtle. Dennis?

"The show must go on!"

Pendulum
15th January 2016, 10:03 AM
Yeah, it's a shame that there wasn't more Umbral Horror support, it was a rather unique gimmick. Not that it hasn't stopped me from turning his strategy into R4NK in my Dissidia fic (mwha-hah-hah!)

They had cool arts, yeah. I liked them.
Oh you..............

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be honest and say that, in Dennis' last duel with Shun, his acting was terrible. Even when he was "serious", it seemed as though he was not even trying to be intimidating, or trying too hard, if anything.

After Vector's show, I was expecting more from Dennis' facial expression.
Though we already knew Dennis was a traitor, so... They could have made it better.

Sanokal
15th January 2016, 10:13 AM
Dennis isn't really meant to be another Vector though. He plays a similar role at the moment, but what's really been him is his genuine enthusiasm for entertainment. Sadly it also makes him a little similar to Sora.

Pendulum
15th January 2016, 10:19 AM
True, true.
Dennis is more light hearted. But he was a bastard too. He was always taunting Shun. He was evil. And you saw how he chased Shun with that gigantic piece of junk.
But yeah, he's enthusiastic.
Sora is more off. More a Ninja soldier (he jumps through buildings...), he tries to be more discrete. Sora is more brainwashed by Leo than Dennis. Dennis has more evil will. Not much as Vector, though. Which was, in turn, brainwashed by Don Thousand.

KingKaash
15th January 2016, 09:47 PM
Dennis might not even be his real name. Maybe his name changed after he became part of Academia if he originally wasn't from there.

Another point on Dennis if no one minds. Do you think Dennis went back to Academia and showed Leo Akaba the Pendulum cards? He probably did. I just wonder what kind of effect that has on the Professor when he finds out there is a new summoning method. Considering he is Reiji's father, he will find a way to make Pendulum monsters. So don't be surprised that by the time the Lancers reach the Fusion Dimension, some elite soldiers are using Pendulums against the Lancers.

Pendulum
15th January 2016, 09:56 PM
That's a curious point, actually. Will Dennis have a change of heart and hide the Pendulums from the Professor? Will Dennis not having a change of heart and be even more evil and hid the Pendulums from the Professor so he could use them to surprise and take down Leo and take his place? Or did loyal Dennis just show him the cards so he can replicate them?
I just hope the writers don't forget Dennis had Pendulums with him.

Jolan
15th January 2016, 10:09 PM
That's a curious point, actually. Will Dennis have a change of heart and hide the Pendulums from the Professor? Will Dennis not having a change of heart and be even more evil and hid the Pendulums from the Professor so he could use them to surprise and take down Leo and take his place? Or did loyal Dennis just show him the cards so he can replicate them?
I just hope the writers don't forget Dennis had Pendulums with him.

They literally ripped all of Sora's memories out of his head, I don't think Dennis has a choice of hiding Pendulums.

Pendulum
15th January 2016, 10:34 PM
They literally ripped all of Sora's memories out of his head, I don't think Dennis has a choice of hiding Pendulums.

Ah, you're right.
Even though, Dennis could have hidden his cards. I mean, he has broken Pendulums, no doubt.

KingKaash
15th January 2016, 10:49 PM
Ah, you're right.
Even though, Dennis could have hidden his cards. I mean, he has broken Pendulums, no doubt.

Right even if he didn't want to show them, he'll have his memories ripped out when he returns. And because he was so weak when he went back he can't defend himself against it or resist it. So far Dennis has put in more work than Sora or Yuri tbh. He's brought Pendulums to Academia. Reiji claims that the two advantages that the Lancers have over Academia are the knowledge of how to use Pendulum cards and Action cards. Well Pendulums might not be an advantage for long.

And Dennis's character is in a flux right now because we last saw him dropping Ancient Gears after Peformages. They have to realize that his Performage cards are to broken. But does that mean they'll push him towards becoming complete fodder and using Ancient Gear? (For the record I do like AG for Obelisk Force but not with Dennis) I'm anxiously awaiting his return to find out. I don't think we as fans should throw away our hope of a Performage Fusion though.

Pendulum
15th January 2016, 10:57 PM
Right even if he didn't want to show them, he'll have his memories ripped out when he returns. And because he was so weak when he went back he can't defend himself against it or resist it. So far Dennis has put in more work than Sora or Yuri tbh. He's brought Pendulums to Academia. Reiji claims that the two advantages that the Lancers have over Academia are the knowledge of how to use Pendulum cards and Action cards. Well Pendulums might not be an advantage for long.

True, they'll probably rip Dennis memories apart, unless the Professor trust too much on him, so he will believe Dennis without the need to dredge Dennis' memories. But knowing Leo is pure evil (Leo is not a very menacing name either, now that I think of it), I doubt it.
And Dennis can't teach Obelisk Force how to use Action Cards and their mechanics, so that may not be a point in the Lancer's favor too.

And Dennis's character is in a flux right now because we last saw him dropping Ancient Gears after Peformages. They have to realize that his Performage cards are to broken. But does that mean they'll push him towards becoming complete fodder and using Ancient Gear? (For the record I do like AG for Obelisk Force but not with Dennis) I'm anxiously awaiting his return to find out. I don't think we as fans should throw away our hope of a Performage Fusion though.

Anime-wise, I don't know if his Performages are considered stronger than the Ancient Gears. I mean, he recurred to Ancient Gears when he was in a pinch. Though Performages have to be strong either because Dennis is a special agent.
I still don't think we might see a Performage Fusion. Performage represent Dennis' disguise, they represent his veil, his good facet.
Though it would be really nasty to see a Fusion of Performage with Ancient Gear. That would be worth it, just for the sordidness.

KingKaash
15th January 2016, 11:24 PM
Anime-wise, I don't know if his Performages are considered stronger than the Ancient Gears. I mean, he recurred to Ancient Gears when he was in a pinch. Though Performages have to be strong either because Dennis is a special agent.
I still don't think we might see a Performage Fusion. Performage represent Dennis' disguise, they represent his veil, his good facet.
Though it would be really nasty to see a Fusion of Performage with Ancient Gear. That would be worth it, just for the sordidness.

A Fusion of Performage clowns and Ancient Gear machines would be wicked! That's a crazy imagination I hadn't even thought of. It would kinda be like Frighfurs. Part animal and part machine in a way

Pendulum
15th January 2016, 11:39 PM
A Fusion of Performage clowns and Ancient Gear machines would be wicked! That's a crazy imagination I hadn't even thought of. It would kinda be like Frighfurs. Part animal and part machine in a way

I would actually like to see it. Dennis still has to make an appearance in which is more evil than the last time. And then he'll be good. But before he turns to the good side, come on, a Fusion like that would be awesome!

TheRamenNoodle
16th January 2016, 08:01 PM
It sounds pretty threatening to me. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM03sDghVrc)