Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Format - Hatless Format

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom Format - Hatless Format

Introducing Hatless Format!

A modified format based off the July 2014 banlist before Duelist Alliance was released, otherwise known as HAT format which was arguably one of the funnest diverse formats ever seen.

Now at the time H.A.T. (Hands, Artifacts, Traptrix) and Elemental Dragons were the top decks and although they were by no means tier 0, they both had superior advantage over the meta and we really don’t want that going into this format aka why the format is called “Hatless”.

Along with a few meta decks receiving a some hits other cards on the banlist have been changed or left there in order to help out decks. We’ve also hit a few unbalanced cards to get players to use different cards and make the meta new and interesting to old and new players.

The format is still in its testing stages and we’d really like to get feedback from other players! Please share this with any of your duelist friends to help get the word out.

We are also working on a ygopro based engine to play this format on, that will have all the legal cards that can be used so stay tuned for updates on that!

(I'm sorry if this is the wrong section for this, if you could direct me to the right section that would be awesome c: )
    Last edited by Princess_Theia; 1st February 2016 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting format. I doubt I'll participate, but it reminds me of when I did Hand Bounzers, years ago. Even got fan art of that deck, I loved the concept that much...
    "Is it so important that you win one last argument with him?"
    "No, it is not, but it is true that I will miss the arguments; they were, finally, all that we had."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. But, why are three of the Dragon Rulers banned and no the fourth, Tempest?

I am also going to assume that you won't be allowed to use any card released in or after the 2014 Starter deck.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds like a cool idea. I have a few questions:
    Cards that support pre-DUEA archetypes that were released in/after DUEA are allowed?
    Can you put the last main set, structure deck and special pack(s) that are allowed? To have a point of reference.
    Last edited by Jakinus; 1st February 2016 at 07:43 PM.
    Donīt forget to have fun and ENJOY.

Registered User clairedestroyer!'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some immediate issues:

- The amount of testing you have done must have been either very little or very ineffective to think absurdly fair cards like Breakthrough Skill and Fiendish Chain need to be at 0. That more than anything smacks of personal bias, which absolutely needs to be heavily scrutinized in a custom format. Stuff like this is dangerous for any custom format because the much smaller design team and design time means you really need to be on the ball at looking beyond your personal issues.

- I have an ideological issue with ever issuing unofficial errata in a custom format. If a card needs to be rewritten to be fair, then it's not fair and you're probably safer leaving it out. More importantly, unofficial errata only serve to make a format more confusing for new players, because now instead of just remembering a cardpool they only have to follow during deckbuilding, they have to remember card text that can come up any time. The more complex a format is, the less likely people will try or play more than once. You really need to make the entry level as low as you can so that more people play and test.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your format, you have triple Infernity Barrier and triple Archfiend but no generic backrow removal, or nuke bar BRD?
    What did Reasoning do to warrant a limit on the list? I don't remember any deck back then or around that time that made great use of Resoning.
    Kill Big Eye and Dracossack without Rank7 losing its niche? If Gaia Drake and Master of Blades, which was released after these 2, are the niche of generic Rank7 plays, then k.
    Goyo Guardian isn't nearly as bad as Big Eye. Sure, it's more generic than it, since it can fit more decks. But you need to get your attack through too! You yourself stated that this would be a Trap heavy format.
    Fiendish Chain and Breakthrough Skill were your outs for cards like Beelze and Goyo and you ban them D:
    The erratas for Substitoad and Mind Master should be Hard OPTs not Soft.
    While I do agree that R4NK needs it's power shaken up, I don't think 101 should be banned. Since you're keen on doing erratas, you could also do an errata for Exciton, to detach 2 Xyz Materials like you did for Gigant XG's Materials (though, this might've been your group's personal input) since it is as generic as Black Rose for Synchro Decks.
    Triple Deep Sea Diva and Royal Tribute can only go ohsowrong, once and if you start including DUEA and on support (Royal Tribute can get annoying fast too)

IMHO

PS And what clairedestroyer said regarding erratas, but if you're going to play this on YGOPro, this problem is easily circumvented. You'll need to put the alias on cards you've errata and put (ERRATA HATLESS) next to their name in the database.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakinus View Post
    This sounds like a cool idea. I have a few questions:
    Cards that support pre-DUEA archetypes that were released in/after DUEA are allowed?
    Can you put the last main set, structure deck and special pack(s) that are allowed? To have a point of reference.
    Cards are starting to be implemented, each card needs to be tested to keep the current meta stable. We hope to give support to other decks that need it. Would like to refrain from adding any pendulum cards or further errata of cards though.
    Last edited by Princess_Theia; 1st February 2016 at 09:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volteccer View Post
    Interesting. But, why are three of the Dragon Rulers banned and no the fourth, Tempest?

I am also going to assume that you won't be allowed to use any card released in or after the 2014 Starter deck.
    Tempest is purposely limited and not banned like the other 3 dragons, it's arguably the weakest of the 4 and gives decks like dragunity much needed help.

cards from LOB to Primal Origin: Deluxe Edition are all legal plus cards stated in the google doc with the exception of where they are on the list.

Registered User clairedestroyer!'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Entermagi View Post
    PS And what clairedestroyer said regarding erratas, but if you're going to play this on YGOPro, this problem is easily circumvented. You'll need to put the alias on cards you've errata and put (ERRATA HATLESS) next to their name in the database.
    Circumvented in a purely physical sense only. Many of these cards are very infamous for their effects, and are years old. The issue with any unoffical errata on a conceptual level is that if you say "Mind Master" 99% of people are going to think of the real card Mind Master, not "my totally fake card that also happens to be named Mind Master", even in the context of your format. That serves only to add confusion so that cards who are notable but have no reason to exist in a format can still be there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clairedestroyer! View Post
    Some immediate issues:

- The amount of testing you have done must have been either very little or very ineffective to think absurdly fair cards like Breakthrough Skill and Fiendish Chain need to be at 0. That more than anything smacks of personal bias, which absolutely needs to be heavily scrutinized in a custom format. Stuff like this is dangerous for any custom format because the much smaller design team and design time means you really need to be on the ball at looking beyond your personal issues.

- I have an ideological issue with ever issuing unofficial errata in a custom format. If a card needs to be rewritten to be fair, then it's not fair and you're probably safer leaving it out. More importantly, unofficial errata only serve to make a format more confusing for new players, because now instead of just remembering a cardpool they only have to follow during deckbuilding, they have to remember card text that can come up any time. The more complex a format is, the less likely people will try or play more than once. You really need to make the entry level as low as you can so that more people play and test.
    I completely agree with your second statement there, the XG errata is pretty silly and it's still in testing stages I don't know why I included it in there, will most likely be taken out. As for Fiendish chain and Breakthrough skill the problem with them is they have no back draw unlike Forbidden Chalice and Effect Veiler. Please if you would like talk to me more about this as we are very open to criticism.