User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you guys think about fanfiction?

Registered User Mystic TimeKeeper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting topic to bring up, enough that I'll wake up from my slumber.

I say that when people try to make a serious fanfic out a franchise they should at least keep the original concept in mind because adding too much dark/foreign elements or the like in the end feels out of place (I've read fanfics where people really took too far with that), and accurate study of the borrowed characters is a must for me to keep the feeling that the characters aren't only borrowing their names (short example: Swearing Yusei is not Yusei).

Outside that it's pretty much free ground but to be honest when talking about Yu-Gi-Oh fanfics it really irks me when people make fanfics in the middle of 2 seasons and they start bringing the later seasons' bosses in that, they basically make their work non-canon with their hands (well, of course they are not canon, but I say that with that style of fanfic you should aim for your readers to think "Damn, it feels like this stuff would fit in the timeline perfectly, wish it was really canon").

I'd probably could say more but off the bat I can't think about much else.
    (This post is always treated as a "Personal Opinion" post.)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second this. Canon defilement tends to annoy me.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fanfics I like, depending on the content and quality; doesn't matter which category they fall under, though I tend toward the lemons and more intricate stories. One thing that always confused me, though, is whether or not it harms the franchise's reputation; I know that various companies and creators have varying views on how they see fanfic/fanart, from embracing it (Mortal Kombat), to indifference or acceptance with limitations (Harry Potter), to outright hatred of it (Disney), so whether it does any damage to the reputation and integrity of the franchise and its creators and publishers has always fascinated me, but I don't think I've ever gotten a good answer on that.
    "Is it so important that you win one last argument with him?"
    "No, it is not, but it is true that I will miss the arguments; they were, finally, all that we had."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...it depends really. I know that George R.R. Martin loathes it, and I can see where he's coming from, but fanfiction pretty allowed me to develop my writing skills. Though there are fandoms that I'd never write for because I don't see myself as worthy of touching their universe.
    Sanokal

Registered User Nekroz Of Superior Dora's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started writing fanfics with Pokemon, but now I'm making a Yu-Gi-Oh one. But man, I kinda suck at battle scenes. The 1st fight has the main character OTK himself by destroying Elemental HERO AbZero. Then the next had him lose in 3 turns to his friend playing Rank 10 Trains.

Roll with the punches, I guess.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekroz Of Superior Dora View Post
    I started writing fanfics with Pokemon, but now I'm making a Yu-Gi-Oh one. But man, I kinda suck at battle scenes. The 1st fight has the main character OTK himself by destroying Elemental HERO AbZero. Then the next had him lose in 3 turns to his friend playing Rank 10 Trains.

Roll with the punches, I guess.
    Battle scenes?
    You have my attention.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who the fuck Monster Reborned this thread
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread Kaiser View Post
    Who the fuck Monster Reborned this thread
    Someone with Nekroz in the title. Rather fitting, isn't it?
    Sanokal