User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extra Deck limit increase!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iNfiniTe Se7eNz View Post
    I feel like to compensate for that, they'd have to somehow slow down the pace at which you can summon from the hand/main deck. Would bumping the main deck minimum to 50 have much effect, I wonder?
    That'd force Konami to add 10 more cards to Structure Decks, otherwise they wouldn't be playable straight from the box.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested in a ruleset that didn't just limit total Extra Deck space, but also caps on each type of Extra Deck monster (Fusion, Synchro or Xyz). Right now, even though Konami's trying to promote using multiple styles in the same deck (DDD, Entities and Zefra, for example), it's just not possible with the limiting cap on the Extra Deck.

Perhaps a 25 card limit on the total Extra Deck, but a cap of 15 per type of Extra Deck monster.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziz View Post
    That'd force Konami to add 10 more cards to Structure Decks, otherwise they wouldn't be playable straight from the box.
    Add 10 more useless reprints, profit. Anyways, i think konami will increase the number of cards in the extra deck any time soon. Mainly because of stuff like rank-ups and accel synchros that are necessary for some decks and limit your toolbox options.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakylon View Post
    I'd be interested in a ruleset that didn't just limit total Extra Deck space, but also caps on each type of Extra Deck monster (Fusion, Synchro or Xyz). Right now, even though Konami's trying to promote using multiple styles in the same deck (DDD, Entities and Zefra, for example), it's just not possible with the limiting cap on the Extra Deck.

Perhaps a 25 card limit on the total Extra Deck, but a cap of 15 per type of Extra Deck monster.
    I actually forgot to mention that on my initial post. I had thought about that. Like, you can't have more than X Xyz/Synchro/Fusion cards.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up to 20. Having only 15 is annoying for some of my decks.
    I FUCKING HATE DUB NAMES! I HATE DUB NAMES SO MUCH!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I like the limit because it forces player to think about what cards to cut to achieve the results they want. Even if you increase the limit to help decks which dump out their Extra in succession (like Accel Synchro), it won't bring their toolboxing options up to par with more toolbox oriented decks, it'll just increase the toolbox power of both. Limiting each kind of Extra Deck card sounds like a good solution, and probably is, but feels a bit clunky to me (we don't limit how many Monsters/Spell/Traps you can have in the Main Deck, no matter how many Spell FTK decks are made). Additionally, it wouldn't actually increase the variety in monsters you see: Players would just start running multiples of the "best" options.

On the flipside, I would adore having more slots for pretty much all the reasons I just listed; I'd be so nice to slide in a second copy of a card so I don't have to worry so much about the first getting Solemn'd, or add a card which I really wanted but juuuuust didn't have enough space for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main decks that benefit from an increased Extra Deck space are the ones who tend to have cramped Extras because of being able to run a wide variety of different monsters: Shaddoll, especially some of its variants, suffered from this for a long time because you could run Fusions, Synchros, and Xyz monsters. An increase in Extra Deck space doesn't help decks like Tellars or Fire Fists, since they really don't get much of a toolboxing benefit, but decks that can run a whole bunch of different stuff have much more open to them and get a lot more powerful as a result. If you want decks that can run a whole bunch of summoning methods (which, to be fair, seems to be a pretty heavy theme in Arc-V related decks), then the Extra Deck limit is always going to hold you back.

In addition, it also helps out Synchro decks that can use a variety of levels (and less so for Xyz decks like Gagaga). Synchro climbing is interesting but its sometimes better to just add one or two levels worth of good cards and one or so extras (like, say, level 7 and 8 synchros and then maybe a chanbara or an armades). An Extra Deck limit boost would greatly increase the number of Synchro monsters these decks could run, and make Synchros like the Hot Red Archfiend series a lot more viable as a result.

tl;dr Increasing the limit is good. It doesn't give a massive boost to most Xyz decks because they run the grand majority of their options. This is not the case for other decks and helps with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Down to 10. Make players compromise between on-theme Fusion/Synchro/Xyz and the generic, all-purpose toolbox that's sucking the originality out of most Extra Decks.