User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is your ranking of the yugioh series?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which is your ranking of the yugioh series?

So i just finished watching dm,now having watched all yugioh series i have a complete opinion on them.So i make this topic to see your opinion on them and discuss with you why you rate them as such(nothing too much just a few words or more i would like as less words as i contain myself to).For this topic i suggest we don't mention arc v since this is ongoing so this is a topic regarding the 4 completed yugioh series.
    4)Zexal:This series has for the most part very boring and predictable duels,suffering from the utopia syndrome and always ending on overkills with under 500 life points,it has a weak beggining,gets better at Zexal II but even the good points of Zexal II are not well done as by the end something happens that makes the good points invalid or pointless,example is Vector you have a villan on the rank of Yami Marik,that killed Nasch because he did not like him and sacrificied almost everyone for the sake of his plan(even innocent bystanders)and yet that person turns good in the end,Kaito has a normal death but returns anyway(that makes the fact that Kaito had a normal death completely pointless),speaking of Kaito,Zexal has one problem that dm has which is the fact they have a small number of main characters.Irronically Zexal has the best animation of all yugioh series so far.
    3)Gx:while Gx has the most character development of all yugioh series(in both guality and quantity)it has the least plot consistensy out of all yugioh series,debatable if it is good or bad,the duels are very straightforward and simple,they are easy too follow but nothing stands out much.Regarding Jaden i know he is the main character but there is way too much focus on him(apart from season 3)and the other character have lesser screantime and usefullness as a result.
    2)5ds:5ds and DM have the best duels both in diversity and creative,5ds in terms of combos usage it surpassed DM but sadly in the second arc the diversity took a step down in the duels of the main characters(while not as bad as Zexal there were a quite a few 'utopia' syndromes here and there),5ds has a wider main cast then Gx and Zexal and slowly reveals how everything is connected while the show prograsses,also 5ds propably has the strongest beggining out of all the yugioh series.
    1)DM:Even now i am having a hard time deciding whatever or not i like 5ds or DM the most,while DM has a small main cast just like zexal,it has the biggest diversity in duels as a different outcome is being presented every time,in terms of story i like how it reveals the roots of how everything begun and how many people moved the 'gear' of the story to conclude to the plot we have now but another problem is that it has a slow pacing at some times,doma arc is in my opinion the best arc of any yugioh series.
    I know what you did last summer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rank GX the worst, but otherwise my list matches yours for about the same reasons

GX: Anyone got good subs for this? I could never find them

+Pre-Xyz HERO's were awesome
    +That last Episode was pure awesome
    + YUBEL, fucking nightmare inducing as she was, she was a legitimately threatening villian, way better than "My deck doesn't function against MC power" Sartorius
    +Great character development
    -....for...what 5 people?
    -Rushed last arc hurts since It probably had the best potential out of them
    -dear god, that waste of potential
    - the setting was dumber than card games on motorcycles. srsly
    - too many shitloads of misc. stupid shit (Dino DNA? That Ra Episode? Card Game Tarz- the bulk of season 1s first half, that Prince who both had the keys and remote to a Kill Sat on him then willingly Wagered them both...)

a few well written characters, in a HORRIBLY written plot with too many standalone episodes

ZeXaL: "wait wut? Dread? Not ranking (no pun intended) Zexal Last? and without a 45 minute rant on it?! WTF" Yes, believe it or not I never had THAT bad of an opinion on it, I simply ranked the others higher. my legendary arguments were more about me disagreeing with Raiko over his comments on it being "THE" best and then giving non-sensical reasons for it (like E'Rah somehow made DonK a better villain), then offhandedly dismissing all contrary opinions. Anyway.
    +first spinoff with an overarcing plot
    - too bad they essentially dropped it at II
    + almost as main character focused as GX (Shark and Kaito got to do stuff, Chazz got .....Chazz'd)
    + The Emperors were Awesome (cept Gilag, he ....really didn't do much aside from brainwashing. even his numbers were boring)
    - DonK was not, massive waste of potential awesome there
    + Pretty monster Animation
    - Lazy and overused everything else animation (almost everything shooting lasers, obligatory twice per episode Yuma getting knocked over a technicolor background shot, and for some reason the double take "Swoosh" stands out really hard to me) then there was some particularly bad bits like Utopia Beyond flailing its swords on Barian (I remember thinking "damn this looks stupid") before its ATK Drain was used
    - overelience on Deus Ex Machina, even by Yugioh standards, leading to-
    - EXTREMELY Predictable duels, Especially the first half of II was essentially formulmatic. do not get me started on the Regular 10,000 point overkills from the brink of defeat
    + the end of part 1 was well done IMO, it had one of the few duels to defy my predictions (no C39 vs C32, would have loved to see heartland freak out over "that random kid he gave entry" to having a Chaos Number) and the concept of Xyz Zexal Weapons, that was too awesome to be a 1 time thing
    -still had giant Plot holes, and unlike 5D's, I don't know of any executive meddling that it can be blamed on (remember the World going boom Memory?)
    +++++VECTOR++++++
    -Repressing his last second turn to good, just gonna pretend that the Numeron Code rewrite did itand of course...
    --------YUUUUUUUUUMAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!------------
    The writer should be burned at the stake for that alone-Beginning of series Yuma. having a MC NOT start off as a card game genius was a good idea, but damnit did they handle that bad

Set up incredibly well, executed incredibly poorly

Other notes: Damn did that duel lodge spawn a shitload of timeline placement debates. good job Statue guy.

Not sure where to put 5D's and DM. the first half of 5D's is probably the single best arcs in the franchise, but part 2.....
    + First series to really introduce MC Ace cards with permenant upgrades (Neos didn't contact fuse enough, Dark Magicians alternate formes were 1 off things)
    + Shooting Star Dragons Debut, on that note:
    ++MUSIC
    + Main Character deck was actually Competitively viable.
    + JACK FUCKING ATLUS
    + Rex Godwin, Also a well written (and actually REALISTIC) Villain. hell he was 3 fucking Life points away from succeeding in his plans, all while sucessfully hiding them from the Heros til the last minute
    - too bad Part 2 went and reset all that development he had gotten...
    +Aki, a Competant female character in YGO at fucking last
    -Then Crow happened
    - its filler was second only to the Virtual World arc in badness (FUCK. CRASHTOWN.)
    - Remember the Spirit world? and the little girl who basically had its guardian Deity at her beck and call? neither did the writers. will SOMETHING give that some proper focus? Thanks Crow.
    + The Dark Signers were actually intimidating (how many other villains actually kill scores of people, without having to duel them for it or anything.
    - Cept Demak, thanks Crow
    - Yusei VS Jean, nuff said
    - Yusei, awesome as he was he was also an invincible Hero
    + The Meklords were awesome
    + The Earthbound Gods were awesome
    + Shooting. Quasar. Dragon. Its name is the only thing I can really complain about
    + Z-ONE: "Yes audience, you all figured it out months in advance from the minor visual details I Am actually Future Yusei!...'s #1Fanboy" Well played writers
    - COSMIC BLAZAR DRAGON, GIMME GIMME GIMME.
    -Remember the rest of Yusei's extra deck? neither did the part 2 Writers (who became the Zexal writers if im not mistaken)
    +ZUSHIN. THAT ENTIRE DUEL was made of awesome
    -FUCK 4KIDS FOR SKIPPING IT

DM: ENGAGE ROSE-TINTED GLASSES!
    +++++++++++++Multiple amazing Villians (its really a shame the Orichalcos arc and R are non-canon) I'd be writing about them for too fucking long so I'll leave it at this
    + Fucking Diversity, Kaiba aside almost no one played the same cards every damn episode the whole run. Dark Magician didn't show up every episode, Joey LOST Red-eyes of all things, Yugi Alternated between the poker knights, Magnet warriors and still had things other than the Dark Magician come out every time.
    +- Duelist kingdom, while its rules were...Flexible to say the least, it was still entertaining. and it has the excuse of "the rules didn't exist at the time"
    -the cramming in of the "Season 0" material was poorly done
    - FUCKING VIRTUAL WORLD. they did shit right for the Orichalcos arc atleast
    - Kaiba himself. got shoehorned into places he didn't belong, hell FUCKING VIRTUAL WORLD was HIS arc featuring HIS enemies from HIS past. actaully All the non-Orichalcos filler was like that.
    + Dungeon Dice monsters was awesome, that should have taken off
    - Remember when they played other games?
    - Millennium world got rushed, making its confusing plot all the harder to keep track of

I could think of more but leaving it at that, been at this too long already
    Last edited by Dread Kaiser; 21st March 2016 at 08:32 PM.
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dread Kaiser, you can count the Orichalcos arc as canon since the anime and manga don't share the same canon continuity anyway. They share most of the key events, but so many things were changed, they aren't the same canon anymore.
    I FUCKING HATE DUB NAMES! I HATE DUB NAMES SO MUCH!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJinzo View Post
    Dread Kaiser, you can count the Orichalcos arc as canon since the anime and manga don't share the same canon continuity anyway. They share most of the key events, but so many things were changed, they aren't the same canon anymore.
    I am well aware, but that doesn't mean it ultimately wasn't filler

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Luna's stuff went out the window with Akiza's; remember how Sayer was interested in her?
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanokal View Post
    I think Luna's stuff went out the window with Akiza's; remember how Sayer was interested in her?
    both the twins, Aki and Demak were fucked over by crow being forced into the story

That said, its not like Sayer had a chance to do anything with her, Asalla Piscu fucked his HQ up good (and his face)
    while he (somehow) lived, there was no way he had the resources to make any move on her

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Zexal
    Honestly, even though Yuma sucked for a while, he did get better, and MOTHERFUCKING VECTOR is not just my favorite yugioh antagonist, but one of my favorite anime antagonists in general. (I could go on about Vector, but it would take a while)

2. 5D's
    Dark Signer's arc is still imo the best yugioh arc, and disappointing as Z-ONE's ultimate reveal was, I've always liked Primo for some reason. Bruno's death, Aki being a competent duelist, and THE KING JACK ATLAS, (favorite rival), are pluses as well.

3. DM
    It suffers from some of the issues Zexal did, with the large entourage of useless characters, but Anime!Bakura isn't quite a good enough villain to make up for it.

I dropped GX somewhere around late s1 early s2, and I haven't finished ARC V for obvious reasons, so I can't judge them yet. Of note, the gap between the 3 series I rated is rather small, so don't take it as me hating the original.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gx wise most of the cast had character development in terms that almost everybody changed in some way but that character development they had was not seen much due to their character not having much focus to begin with due to Jaden irronically.Yeah it also had lots of random stuff that did not add anything to the series,just like the Dino Dna(what was the point of that since neos could handle the satelite on his own,only for him not be brainwashed?jaden did everything in the end so its not like him being on his side changed anything).

Zexal while it had a little less focus on the main character than gx its not like it used the other main character well,in the first arc Shark was just there,yes there was the thing that Tron wanted him to be an assasin for DrFaker but that failled and never got anywhere.In Zexal II while it was very nice that Shark got his deserved screantime Kaito was underused as a result,he was just there only for dueling Mizael.
    The emperors apart from Shark and Vector either were underused or were bland,even Rio her motive for joining the Barians was because her brother did so?I guess the writers really needed a reason for bronz to turn to dust and Nasch to be angry.Imao while Zexal had predictable duels (even when they did not use the Deus EX machina)the first half (apart from the last duels of the second half)had better duels overall than the second half because sometimes yuma's opponents had an actually strategy and sometimes yuma freaking summoned leviathan dragon.Vector turning good seriously ruined his good run as a villain for me.
    I agree while having a mc not being good was a good idea,dammit did they handle it very bad,with a mc being generic to the core and staying generic even in the end,not having any kind of character development apart from dueling(even that happened off screan appearantly astral taught him)Joey was a very good example of a newbie duelist handled well.Kotori what do i need to say about her,even ranting about her for 45 minutes won't be enough.

5DS wise i really like how Goodwin was still a doomsday villain but had a different take on it.Honestly about Aki while i understand why people like that fact that a female character was one of the main characters,all of her success even the first arc was due to having plot armor on her side.For me and i know it may sounds weird the most succesfull female character is Mai,she had top rankings in every tournament she appeared,she had legit character development and she even legitly defeated one of the 3 main characters DM had(notice how the best thing to happen to a female character was in the doma arc?).
    Even if he changed the story i liked Crow to be frank,yusei vs team unicorn was awesome apart from the end,what a wasted potential considering they wouldn't be out of the tournament even if they lost that one.I am glad that Zone was so well written,not only due to the fact that 'i am your future you' has been done to death but due to the fact that he is Yusei despite not being Yusei(wait what?)he discarded every part of his original self in order to become Yusei (the person that inspired everyone in the past)to help guide people to a better future(just like yusei would)and it worked......for a little while but humanity betrayed his trust,so he showed that even with Yusei's potential to guide people the world was still destinated to be screwed,so he basiccaly did what Yusei would do meaning Yusei had already failled to save everyone in that apocalyptic future.

Dark magician was present in almost all of yugi's duels in the duelist kingdom arc but irronically i don't think Dark magician ever finished a duel(dark paladin did 2 if that counts).Virtual world arc was good enough,it provided nice backstory,the deck manster concept provided an entertaining fresh concept and the duels were pretty good,the problem was it was very wrongly placed as it happened in the middle of the battle city the important stuff.
    Last edited by Never die; 22nd March 2016 at 06:57 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, break up your sentences better, that was a bitch to read. Line break is your friend
    FUCKING VIRTUAL WORLD provided no backstory we didn't already have (obviously minus the stuff Noa was involved with) and the biggest issue was that it was ultimately pointless, Noa was after Kaiba, everyone else just HAPPENED to be there with him....in a Blimp.....over the fucking pacific ocean. None of it concerned the Main group other then the fact they happened to be there. They had no personal connection to any of it nor did any of the villains have one to them. and while the Deckmaster thing was nice, it was just fluff. completely uneeded.

as for GX and Character development, Aside from the main group in season 3, all of it was more or less off screen and especially in Zane's case, extremely forced.

for Kotori, nothing needs to be said, only needs to be burned.
    For teh Emperors, you forgot Alit (and I personally don't really consider Shark or Rio to be members, given they were essentially seperate characters for most of the show) who had:
    A, a damn good deck and good duels to go with
    B, A fucking personality
    C, a relationship with the MC, one that goes beyond "I'm Evil and want to shadow realm you for reasons"
    Already mentioned Gilag, and Durbe could have used more of a personality
    Last edited by Dread Kaiser; 22nd March 2016 at 05:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    1. Zexal
    Honestly, even though Yuma sucked for a while, he did get better, and MOTHERFUCKING VECTOR is not just my favorite yugioh antagonist, but one of my favorite anime antagonists in general. (I could go on about Vector, but it would take a while)

2. 5D's
    Dark Signer's arc is still imo the best yugioh arc, and disappointing as Z-ONE's ultimate reveal was, I've always liked Primo for some reason. Bruno's death, Aki being a competent duelist, and THE KING JACK ATLAS, (favorite rival), are pluses as well.

3. DM
    It suffers from some of the issues Zexal did, with the large entourage of useless characters, but Anime!Bakura isn't quite a good enough villain to make up for it.

I dropped GX somewhere around late s1 early s2, and I haven't finished ARC V for obvious reasons, so I can't judge them yet. Of note, the gap between the 3 series I rated is rather small, so don't take it as me hating the original.
    Please go on about Vector,i don't mind as he is Vector after all but for me the fact that he turned good at the last moment really ruined his character even though apart from that he was a pretty enjoyable/awesome villain.About Z-one what was dissapointing?Would you prefer he was the ' i am the future you' trope that has been done to death?Bakura may not be your kind of villain then,unlike Vector he was not a troll kind of villain but damn did he know how to plan ahead which is why his plans succeded despite the fact he lost every duel he was in.Don't worry about that but if you would not mind i am interested to hear as to why you put each series one over the other even if the gap is small.