User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C&D order filed against Dueling Network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SynjoDeonecros View Post
    Well, this is going to put a damper on my deck-building endeavors. They're probably doing it to avoid competition with their new official duel player.
    The site still works, but you're just looking at black boxes on the cards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoToast View Post
    Didn't something like this happen before to DN a few years ago?
    I don't know if anyone got back to you, but I can elaborate here. A cease and desist (or equivalent, it's not my site) was sent to Dueling Network in the past for making use of the actual design on the back of the official cards (as the default sleeve no less, but it being used at all was entirely the issue). This time the order comes from Nihon Ad Systems, which are essentially the representatives for everyone with a voice regarding YGO, not just Konami. Why this is happening now and didn't happen then can lead to a lot of speculation, but coming when several new games are to be released for YGO worldwide, it makes some sense, I suppose.

People spewing Fair Use forget that this is a concept that exists in the USA. Generally speaking Japan will differ to the other laws if one isn't applicable, but the anime/manga/music/related industries are quite harsh in comparison. As a basic example, The Pokémon Company has been known to shut down casual parties with a Pokémon theme, if you were advertising them, and the music industry of Japan has been known go send people to prison for basic copyright violations. This is an area where Japanese companies are most severe, and a cease and desist is quite hard to fight in either case. It is not a good situation in the slightest, and because this is happening now and not during the last incident, the nature of who Nihon Ad Systems is representing is up for debate, as well. I don't personally think Konami is advocating this, even though they are releasing several competitors this year for Dueling Network, mostly because this wasn't done in the past. Competitors for Dueling Network are nothing new.

I won't pretend to have a degree in Japanese law, but I do know that it would be in Dueling Network's best interest to be very careful with what they choose to do from here on out.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This went from ''What Took them so long?'' to ''Money Money Money'' in a flash.

Or short, it went from Konami to Konami.

Sucks tho, DN had the better Chat system out of all YGO sims I've played, and that doesn't really say much but hey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanako View Post
    As a basic example, The Pokémon Company has been known to shut down casual parties with a Pokémon theme, if you were advertising them, and the music industry of Japan has been known go send people to prison for basic copyright violations.
    To be fair, the one time this happened it was The Pokémon Company International (the branch that manages Pokémon in North America and Europe), not The Pokémon Company (the Japanese company). Also, that particular party had a fee to get in, which is why most fans speculate that TPCi went after them (even though the legal reason they cited was the advertising).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, at least I have YGOPro to fall back on, if anything. Hope they don't get a C&D, as well; they're already having issues updating stuff for Android...
    "Is it so important that you win one last argument with him?"
    "No, it is not, but it is true that I will miss the arguments; they were, finally, all that we had."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SynjoDeonecros View Post
    Well, at least I have YGOPro to fall back on, if anything. Hope they don't get a C&D, as well; they're already having issues updating stuff for Android...
    You can upload images there, so that will not be a problem (and I can survive playing solitary agaisnt A.I if servers are shut down).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the wiki should be fine unless they lose their minds.

Wikia (the company) has talked to Konami before about an official affiliation. It did not pan out, but it also means Konami is 100% aware of the wiki's existence.
    "There are as many truths out there as there are people to tell them. Perhaps it's best simply to choose the truth with which you are most comfortable."
    ~ Knoll, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised that there are only 16 replies to this topic. I'm hoping that it turns out to be nothing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter View Post
    I'm surprised that there are only 16 replies to this topic. I'm hoping that it turns out to be nothing.
    well a decent chunk of people use YGOpro, so its not like this directly affects everyone. so theres that

otherwise there also really isn't much to say on the topic
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter View Post
    To be fair, most of the people-losing-their-minds is/was over on the DNForums' topic of this news article.

But yeah, I'm hoping this blows over without affecting DN overly much; I sorta want to be able to try TDIL's cards without resorting to something like DevPro.
    #222937 for invisitext in the Org's dark. Try it out!