User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah forgot about them. They're still in the anime but it's a lot more subtle since the main focus is on the main characters romance, rather than the supporting characters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archfiend View Post
    + Unique and interesting plot that isn't like most anime and actually tries to be different and break the norm.
    I wouldn't say that the plot was particularly unique. The first act was essentially a video game, where the protag has to defeat a new boss each week to reach the final boss. The second act definitely had some noteworthy and unique moments, but sadly the third act fell back to the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanako View Post
    + There's a lot of historical significance with this one, having many anime even now trying to copy it. You want to avoid carbon copies? Go for the original.
    Lucky Star wasn’t the first sol school comedy, in fact Hidamari Sketch aired the season before it and Minami-ke and Sketchbook both aired the season right after it. Azumanga Daioh is definitely the oldest sol school comedy that I can recall off the top of my head, but I’m sure there may be other sol school comedy that are lost to the sands of time that preceded these shows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kinoai View Post
    Lucky Star wasn’t the first sol school comedy, in fact Hidamari Sketch aired the season before it and Minami-ke and Sketchbook both aired the season right after it. Azumanga Daioh is definitely the oldest sol school comedy that I can recall off the top of my head, but I’m sure there may be other sol school comedy that are lost to the sands of time that preceded these shows.
    In this sense, it is copying the show's style rather than the genre. People aren't copying the genre, rather the most successful in it. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but just the influence and legacy that this one in particular had is enough to have said it as I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanako View Post
    In this sense, it is copying the show's style rather than the genre. People aren't copying the genre, rather the most successful in it. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but just the influence and legacy that this one in particular had is enough to have said it as I did.
    Could expand on how you believe that shows are copying Lucky Stars style?

Lucky Star isn't getting copied stylistically in fact it falls somewhere in the middle of the change in the moe art styles between the early 00's and now, falling in between the Kyoani key works art style (Air, Clannad, Kanon, etc) and the K-on/Im@s art style. Maybe it was the parody-esque nature of it that you're referencing, but I wouldn't say that that is extremely popular now. All I can really think of off the top of my head that is similar in that respect is Yuru Yuri. It also didn't start the moe craze so I'm not quite sure what you're referencing in terms of style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rokka no Yuusha
    Genre: Action/Mystery
    Reasons:
    + At first it looks like your generic "LETS GO FIGHT THE DEMON GOD" anime but after watching it through its nothing like that...yet
    + The characters and dialogue in this anime is amazing, the tension and suspense in each word, the emotion...its incredible
    + New anime from this summer season and is ending soon this week, hopefully it gets a season 2. There so much a really want to say but the anime description gives away the secret so its best not to read any if you decide to watch this anime, the shock of it and going through the story on trying to solve the mystery is an enjoyable one.

Flamie best waifu

Registered User Hope in the Interstice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been watching one that I haven't heard so much about from others and I found it by randomly stumbling around on TV Tropes.

Natsume's Book of Friends
    Genre: Seinen — Slice of Life/Supernatural
    + Natsume, our protagonist, is your usual quiet, elusive sort of protagonist found in your usual cliché romps that's meant to be relatable. However, Natsume has a hell of a lot of backstory and personal motivations that not only justify and explain his behaviour but make him into a full-fledged character of his own.
    + The tone of the show is varied but, while the comedic segments can feel just a little bit forced and unnatural, they never detract from the overall ambiance of the show.
    + It's perfect if you want to feel good about yourself and the people around you.

Registered User Mystic TimeKeeper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devocrown View Post
    Flamie best waifu
    You got that right pal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archfiend View Post

Kill la Kill
    By any chance, have you watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? If you haven't, give this one a spin. Similar animation art style to KLK, mechas and just believing you can gets you everywhere~

Quote Originally Posted by Hope in the Interstice View Post

Natsume's Book of Friends
    I personally liked this one due to its tempo. Pretty unique art style as well, but at least Nyanko is responsible as heck despite being a fat cat.
    Last edited by Zarafkiel; 16th September 2015 at 08:04 AM.
    Might as well just put this so that people can actually read from my mistake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kinoai View Post
    Could expand on how you believe that shows are copying Lucky Stars style?

Lucky Star isn't getting copied stylistically in fact it falls somewhere in the middle of the change in the moe art styles between the early 00's and now, falling in between the Kyoani key works art style (Air, Clannad, Kanon, etc) and the K-on/Im@s art style. Maybe it was the parody-esque nature of it that you're referencing, but I wouldn't say that that is extremely popular now. All I can really think of off the top of my head that is similar in that respect is Yuru Yuri. It also didn't start the moe craze so I'm not quite sure what you're referencing in terms of style.
    There were definitely a lot of knock-offs that came out shortly after. The sort of thing that leaves someone bitter. I suppose it's unfair to still harp on them even now, you're right. I know for a fact that there are still a couple of series that get adapted modernly that try to modernize the type of quirky humor that it presented, though. Not really a rip-off, but still clearly influenced by it while bringing a new dimension to it. It's just off of the top of my head, hmm...

Anyway, at risk of going absurdly off-topic, I'll recommend another.

Dragon Ball
    Not Dragon Ball Z. If you really want to experience what Toriyama can do, try the predecessor. It's a lot of fun and most of the issues people had with Z aren't too relevant here. If you like Z or Super, give it a go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing some great suggestions! I'd also fully recommend anyone Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Pros:
    Fantastic story
    Excellent Characters
    Plot Twists
    Great art style

(Homura is my waifu~)