User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anime Recommendations

With around 40 new anime a year, it can be tough to weed through all the options. You don't want a carbon copy of something else, you're looking for something different, or maybe you just marathoned an anime you really liked and want something similar, or maybe you've given up on anime because of all the weird trash out there. Either way, this thread is here to help!

It's simple, recommend an anime and list its genre with at least 3 reasons why people should give it a try. Try to think it out a little bit. It can be your favourite anime, or an anime you recently watched, or even a standout anime of the season and/or genre. Just give the reasons some thought.

Anime Name
    Genre:
    Reasons:
    +
    +
    +
    [any extra notes]

As an extra, you can list an anime you really disliked, giving (good) reasons why people should avoid it.

I'll begin:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Genre: Shōnen - Action/Fantasy/Drama
    + A large cast of main characters that are well fleshed-out.
    + Heartfelt and mature writing. Although it follows a complex storyline, it is built upon a classic foundation that allows the viewer to enjoy and invest in it without confusion.
    + Deviates from the trap of easy shōnen tropes; the main characters aren't necessarily the strongest, the most important, or the best, and their journey is about learning about themselves as much as it is about the physical conflicts around them.
    Assuming there's anyone out there who hasn't already seen FMA: Brotherhood, it's a stand-out gem within the shōnen genre, a genre otherwise notorious for talking down to its audience.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Guilty Pleasure-

Kill la Kill
    Genre: Action/Comedy-Drama/Magical Girl
    + Unique and interesting plot that isn't like most anime and actually tries to be different and break the norm.
    + Interesting set of characters that grab your attention quickly and don't let go of it until the end.
    + A wacky and crazy anime that has a lot of fanservice if you like that kind of stuff, but I wouldn't let that deter you from watching Kill la Kill since it does pick up later on and doesn't stop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archfiend View Post
    Kill la Kill
    I've noticed that on Netflix, and heard good things about it, but the initial look of it put me off. I'm not big on fanservice, the way to sell me is interesting characters and stories that deviate from tropes. If it has that, I'll defo check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamaru View Post
    I've noticed that on Netflix, and heard good things about it, but the initial look of it put me off. I'm not big on fanservice, the way to sell me is interesting characters and stories that deviate from tropes. If it has that, I'll defo check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

How about you post a recommendation since the one you posted was only an example?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archfiend View Post

How about you post a recommendation since the one you posted was only an example?
    Oh, no, that was a real one. :P I love FMA: Brotherhood, I've rewatched it twice in the last year.

I'll post another recommendation soon, but I want to give other people a chance first. Also want to see if people are interested in this thread or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamaru View Post
    Oh, no, that was a real one. :P I love FMA: Brotherhood, I've rewatched it twice in the last year.

I'll post another recommendation soon, but I want to give other people a chance first. Also want to see if people are interested in this thread or not.
    Alright, sounds good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to recommend two anime that fall on complete different ends of the spectrum, yet for similar reasons.

Lucky☆Star
    Genre: Slice of Life/Comedy
    Reasons:
    + This is the anime that almost single-handedly made Nico Nico Douga the popular website that it is today. (I'm not making a stance on illegally streaming online, just stating a fact)
    + A lot of the humor still holds up all of these years later, although you probably won't get all of the references that it makes.
    + There's a lot of historical significance with this one, having many anime even now trying to copy it. You want to avoid carbon copies? Go for the original.

Mighty Atom/Astro Boy (1963)
    Science-fiction/Action/Adventure
    Reasons:
    + You wouldn't have anime as you know it if this masterpiece didn't exist.
    + If you can handle black and white anime, this one is absolutely timeless.
    + A story that you can't help but get invested in.
    + 100% mandatory for history buffs like myself who like anime.

Registered User Mystic TimeKeeper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting some stuff in the topic:

The Big O (1999)
    Mecha/neo-noir/tech-noir
    Reasons:
    + Wonderful mesh of oriental and occidental style, the protagonists is basically Bruce Wayne with a Mecha;
    + It runs on a pretty dark setting but it's not heavy to watch, entertains well and leaves a lot of food for thought;
    + The robot's fights are smooth and well directed;
    + the music is well placed and fits the show perfectly
    - Quite some people say the pace is pretty slow (didn't feel that personally but I prefer to mention it regardless);
    - Gets pretty cryptic towards the end (which may be a plus for those who like that sort of genre).

It's actually quite hard to write this sort of thing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cardcaptor Sakura

Magical girl/Romance

Reasons:
    +One of the best (if not the best) magical girl animes
    +Lots of cute romantic moments
    +Enjoyable characters with actual character development
    +-Sort of basic plot so it's easy to follow but not that gripping
    -Lots of filler
    -Strays away from the manga way too much

Registered User Mystic TimeKeeper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xeroplazm View Post
    Cardcaptor Sakura

Magical girl/Romance

Reasons:
    +One of the best (if not the best) magical girl animes
    +Lots of cute romantic moments
    +Enjoyable characters with actual character development
    +-Sort of basic plot so it's easy to follow but not that gripping
    -Lots of filler
    -Strays away from the manga way too much
    You forgot the Yuri and the Yaoi tags, unless in the anime it got axed away.