User Tag List

Thread: What is an anti-meta deck?

Registered User Hope in the Interstice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is an anti-meta deck?

Hey guys. Thought I'd just start up some discussion about a certain deck. This isn't a Deck Discussion thread because those are for already established guides and points and this is where I hope we can establish points to make a guide around.

So, as the title asks, what is an anti-meta deck? What makes an anti-meta deck anti the meta? We all know the usuals: negate Special Summoning, seal the Graveyard, and generally fart on everything your opponent tries to do. But what are the specifics? What are the strengths of the anti-meta deck, aside from its unpredictability and the fact it's tailor-made to counter the top decks? What are its weaknesses? Let's discuss all that and more here.

Banished
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope in the Interstice View Post
    Hey guys. Thought I'd just start up some discussion about a certain deck. This isn't a Deck Discussion thread because those are for already established guides and points and this is where I hope we can establish points to make a guide around.

So, as the title asks, what is an anti-meta deck? What makes an anti-meta deck anti the meta? We all know the usuals: negate Special Summoning, seal the Graveyard, and generally fart on everything your opponent tries to do. But what are the specifics? What are the strengths of the anti-meta deck, aside from its unpredictability and the fact it's tailor-made to counter the top decks? What are its weaknesses? Let's discuss all that and more here.
    No anti meta deck is unpredictable. Once you see a Barrier Statue, you immedietly know the rest of the Deck as well. Floodgates that seal most Decks in existence by preventing SSing, Graveyard, Effects and Searching. In all honesty, most meta Decks we had so far were anti meta, since they do exactly the same. Prevent something important like SSing (95-Irritum, Monarchs), negate pretty much anything (D/D Siegfried + Crystal Wing) or removing the Grave (Dark Law). The only difference to "actual" anti meta decks is that those are based on an archtype or some sort of Summoning mechanic or specific combo while as anti meta decks just run as many floodgates as possible. Another difference is that Anti Meta decks mostly floodgate themselves as well so they build their Deck in a way that they aren't reliant on it, while as something like Masked HEROes use a Graveyard but Dark Law onl works one sided
    Last edited by Mofiz; 28th June 2016 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always considered anti-meta to be cards that feature particularly impactful "you cannot" effects. Either explicitly in the case of locking out special summons, or implicitly such as banishing cards instead of sending them to the graveyard. Another major one would be preventing searching. I don't consider "lolnegate" cards to be inherently anti-meta if only in that you can still respond to the activation of the effect that negates rather than being prevented from doing something in the first place but it's not mutually exclusive either. An anti-meta deck would be one that completely dedicates itself to establishing lockdowns, though anti-meta elements are certainly present in the meta itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats just unfair and cruel i like decks that mean i half kill me lifepoints to use certain cards effects like black magic curtain

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who activated Monster Reborn.................Got my hopes up seeing.....Hope around

then WTF'd at teh sight of Mofiz
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.