User Tag List

Thread: Unaffected by other cards' effects-- wording question!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Answered: Unaffected by other cards' effects-- wording question!

This is mostly me trying to grasp PSCT better so I can word custom cards better.

If a card is unaffected by other card effects, like say, Raidraptor - Ultimate Falcon, and is summoned using a card like "Express Train Trolley Olley", will it be unaffected? No, right? Why? Is it because it applies before the card is actually summoned?

And is there a practical difference between "Unaffected by other cards' effects", like on Ultimate Falcon, and Dora's "it is unaffected by other card effects, except its own."?

Are there different kinds of not being affected by anything? To clarify: are there cards unaffected by their own effects, and others that aren't?

2. "I believe "Raidraptor - Ultimate Falcon" will increase its ATK by 800, if Summoned using "Express Train Trolley Olley". The effect "If it is Xyz Summoned: It gains 800 ATK." will be the effect of "Raidraptor - Ultimate Falcon", which in "inherited" from "Express Train Trolley Olley". Though I'm not very confident on this.

Note that "Number 81: Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Superior Dora" doesn't have PSCT nor an official English lore.
    I think it has "it is unaffected by other card effects, except its own.", because if it didn't have "except its own.", one could think the target wouldn't be affected by other card effects, except the effect of "Dora". But the way the effect is meant to work is to make the target still affected by this effect of "Dora" and the target's effects.
    An example: If you target "Stellarknight Delteros" with the effect of "Dora", "Delteros" will still be able to destroy itself with its own effect. If "Dora" didn't have "except its own.", then "Delteros" wouldn't be able to destroy itself, since it wouldn't be affected by other effects, except the effect of "Dora" that prevents it from being affected by other effects (am I complicating it too much? If I'm not being clear, feel free to let me know and ask again).

Your last paragraph is basically this. If "Delteros" would have a "Unaffected by other cards' effects" clause, then it would still be able to destroy itself via its own effect. If "Delteros" would have a "Unaffected by card effects" clause, it wouldn't be able to destroy itself.
    However, I'm not sure if such clause exists, because the way they word it and use it, a card wouldn't be affected by the effect that prevents it from being affected by its own effect; which means it would then be affected by card effects; which means it would then be affected by its own effect that prevents is from being affected by effects; which means it wouldn't be affected by its own effect preventing it from being affected by effects; which means it would then be affected by its own effect, etc. and so on infinitely.

EDIT: Oh, Dread already answered the first part, nice. I wasn't sure on it. Thanks Dread."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megamaw View Post
    This is mostly me trying to grasp PSCT better so I can word custom cards better.

If a card is unaffected by other card effects, like say, Raidraptor - Ultimate Falcon, and is summoned using a card like "Express Train Trolley Olley", will it be unaffected? No, right? Why? Is it because it applies before the card is actually summoned?

And is there a practical difference between "Unaffected by other cards' effects", like on Ultimate Falcon, and Dora's "it is unaffected by other card effects, except its own."?

Are there different kinds of not being affected by anything? To clarify: are there cards unaffected by their own effects, and others that aren't?
    Actually, cards like troll train GIVE their effects to the monster. So the +ATK is threated as Ultimate Falcons effect. Otherwise effects like that do NOT apply before the immunity is turned on

To actually answer the question, no. Immunity is immunity. There is no variation on it. Making something immune via Dora or lance is functionally identical to any innate immunity effects
    Last edited by Dread Kaiser; 6th July 2016 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe "Raidraptor - Ultimate Falcon" will increase its ATK by 800, if Summoned using "Express Train Trolley Olley". The effect "If it is Xyz Summoned: It gains 800 ATK." will be the effect of "Raidraptor - Ultimate Falcon", which in "inherited" from "Express Train Trolley Olley". Though I'm not very confident on this.

Note that "Number 81: Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Superior Dora" doesn't have PSCT nor an official English lore.
    I think it has "it is unaffected by other card effects, except its own.", because if it didn't have "except its own.", one could think the target wouldn't be affected by other card effects, except the effect of "Dora". But the way the effect is meant to work is to make the target still affected by this effect of "Dora" and the target's effects.
    An example: If you target "Stellarknight Delteros" with the effect of "Dora", "Delteros" will still be able to destroy itself with its own effect. If "Dora" didn't have "except its own.", then "Delteros" wouldn't be able to destroy itself, since it wouldn't be affected by other effects, except the effect of "Dora" that prevents it from being affected by other effects (am I complicating it too much? If I'm not being clear, feel free to let me know and ask again).

Your last paragraph is basically this. If "Delteros" would have a "Unaffected by other cards' effects" clause, then it would still be able to destroy itself via its own effect. If "Delteros" would have a "Unaffected by card effects" clause, it wouldn't be able to destroy itself.
    However, I'm not sure if such clause exists, because the way they word it and use it, a card wouldn't be affected by the effect that prevents it from being affected by its own effect; which means it would then be affected by card effects; which means it would then be affected by its own effect that prevents is from being affected by effects; which means it wouldn't be affected by its own effect preventing it from being affected by effects; which means it would then be affected by its own effect, etc. and so on infinitely.

EDIT: Oh, Dread already answered the first part, nice. I wasn't sure on it. Thanks Dread.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok now that I'm off of work, I can give a more detailed answer

cards like Trolley olley have the following text
    "An Xyz Monster that was Summoned using this card on the field as Xyz Material gains this effect."
    the part behind a bullet is GIVEN to the xyz and applies when it is summoned (and activates)

so if I summon Utopia with star drawing, he gains the following effect "when this card is summoned, draw 1 card"
    so when the summon is successful, that effect activates as Utopias effect. I could then use Solemn Strike, which would kill Utopia

this also has the interesting property of making non-effect xyz Effect monsters. summoning Gem Knight pearl with Drawing would make him an effect monster, so it would no longer gain the immunity of Non-spellcasting area

for the other question, as I said, Immunity is Immunity. the only variation is WHAT you are Immune to. to my VAST knowledge, there is no card in the game that specifies it is Immune to everything, itself included. every such card typically specifies Immune to all Other Monsters or only immune to Opponents effects

so "Unaffected by other cards' effects" is completely functionally identical to "it is unaffected by other card effects, except its own." the only difference is the latter wording is used for immunity applied to another card, while the former is innate
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.