User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Konami's Rapid Descent to Bankruptcy

Registered User AccelRainbowDashley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said, AC is on the way to being shovelware. They had some success with the series, but it went straight to their head and started pumping out yearly releases, which only really works with sports games. The problem with games is success isn't limited to one thing, it's multiple factors coming together. Sales are a big part of it, but so is the overall reception of the game. A game can flop commercially, but be critically acclaimed. On the flipside, a game can be complete crap, but make a lot of money.

Success despite being crap comes from the mentality of some gamers that reviews are worthless, so all they look at are things like screenshots and trailers, maybe some developer interviews as well. Sure, it's nice to form your own opinion, but any marketing team worth their salt are going to convince you something is great regardless of actual quality. That brings in the pre-orders and day one buys.

A good example is The Order 1886. Massive hype, even I was interested in it. Game comes out and people realize how short the game is, the gameplay is average at best, and the story isn't anything to call home about. It became very obvious that the majority of their budget went into making the game look visually appealing, and advertising. And it worked. It made a good amount of money, despite the fact it wasn't a good game. Commercially, it was a success, but it was otherwise a flop of a game.

It will take more than one big budget flop to scare everyone off making AAA titles. There's no doubt that some companies will fail and be forced into making smaller titles, or worse, but Indie development has been on the rise for several years now, and thanks to advances in consoles even those have access to indie games.

To Thanako: As Ark said, mobile games are much cheaper to make than a big AAA title so it's not so easy to compare the two in those terms.
    ~The Sins never die, can't wash this blood off our hands~
    ~Let the world fear us all, it's just means to an end~
    YGOrg's resident Dragonmaster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AccelRainbowDashley View Post
    To Thanako: As Ark said, mobile games are much cheaper to make than a big AAA title so it's not so easy to compare the two in those terms.
    I said that first, actually. Konami has decided to cash in on a cheap gimmicky fad. That's the point I was going for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i understand. And i do agree, the mobile market is very successful and low cost but its just very annoying to see a great company do this

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanako View Post
    I said that first, actually. Konami has decided to cash in on a cheap gimmicky fad. That's the point I was going for.
    Oh, you did, sorry.

I wouldn't really call mobile games gimmicky, though. To me, gimmicky is stuff like Amiibo and Skylanders.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will take more than one big budget flop to scare everyone off making AAA titles. There's no doubt that some companies will fail and be forced into making smaller titles, or worse, but Indie development has been on the rise for several years now, and thanks to advances in consoles even those have access to indie games.
    Well yeah, but there's probably going to be a watershed game similar to E.T. back in the 80s where people generally consider it to be the universal nadir point that represents the turning point.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoArkadia View Post
    Well yeah, but there's probably going to be a watershed game similar to E.T. back in the 80s where people generally consider it to be the universal nadir point that represents the turning point.
    I don't know about that. In today's age, you have a choice between the three home consoles and PC, not including handhelds. Back when the crash occurred, there was around a dozen different consoles competing with one another, all with their own library of games, plus the rise of home computers. To further the problem, there was a lot of companies popping up and making crappy games to try and make an easy buck, which led to it's own host of problems. Overproduction isn't much of an issue anymore and digital distribution eliminates the problem entirely.

It would take something incredibly catastrophic to repeat the 1983 event.

Registered User Hope in the Interstice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AccelRainbowDashley View Post
    I don't know about that. In today's age, you have a choice between the three home consoles and PC, not including handhelds. Back when the crash occurred, there was around a dozen different consoles competing with one another, all with their own library of games, plus the rise of home computers. To further the problem, there was a lot of companies popping up and making crappy games to try and make an easy buck, which led to it's own host of problems. Overproduction isn't much of an issue anymore and digital distribution eliminates the problem entirely.

It would take something incredibly catastrophic to repeat the 1983 event.
    If you're all talking about a possible future Crash, I'd like to link you all this informative article.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read that before, and that was the point I was trying to make, although far less well-worded. Shamus is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to this sort of thing, but he's also plenty funny. His older DM of the Rings comic was one of the first webcomics I ever read in full.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not an outright 1983, but you can't keep making ultra blockbusters. At some point you will hit a plateau and then downward slope of diminishing returns.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it happens, it's a very long way off. This year alone has had many successful blockbuster games, and still more to come out before the year ends. The year doesn't need to be constant, big budget AAA titles. Having them spaced out, with several smaller games in between is much better.