Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Konami's Rapid Descent to Bankruptcy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Konami's Rapid Descent to Bankruptcy

Just bit of some recent info with Konami and a lot of ranting

So to any one that does not know, Konami not only handles Yu-gi-oh! but also has another branch which includes video games. Now, this past year Konami has really gone downhill in this department. Silent Hill was canceled, Kojima is gone, don't even want Kojima to be discussed at all, getting rid of Fanart, Konami saying that mobile games are the future, and most recently canceling all AAA title of games which includes Metal Gear, Castlevania, and more. Konami has entered a path of destruction in which they most likely will not be able to come back from. They had to pull themselves off the NYC Stock Market because of the negative response of Silent Hill's cancellation. Trust me, there's much more and now getting rid of AAA games completely is just the nail in the coffin.

But how exactly does this affect yugioh? If Konami ever goes bankrupt will Yugioh be a casualty with it? Will it be picked up by another company? Game wise, Yugioh can still last for a very long time but with the company making stupid decisions, it could end earlier than we expect? Probably not tbh, but it's a possibility. Imagine how many people are quitting in the ocg due to their Clown filled cancer format atm. Speaking TCG wise, we endured Spellbooks, Dragon Rulers in a row, then entered a 3 meta deck format and still continued that format with Nekroz entering the fray. Asking for a completely balanced format is asking for too much, but can we at least get a format were its fair? Where some decks can still put in some type of fight? Now the reason I'm saying this is because more and more players are quitting the game which isn't helping Konami that much either. Like honestly, if the player base decided to go back to an old format and to go even further and make their own, you know there's a problem here. I'm going to be brutally honest here. As much as I love the game (yes even now) we've been in a shit hole and there doesn't seem to be a light for help. Now sales wise, Konami is still making lots of money in this game due to the secondary market and will most likely start to make more due to the recent rarity changes and a much better value to actually buy product. So like I said earlier, this side of Konami (no matter how shitty it is atm) should be ok....hopefully

Now what are your opinions on this matter? Do you think Konami going bankrupt is foreseeable in the near future? Could Yugioh be the only thing that keeps Konami standing? Could this whole thread just be a waste of time and no one cares/ thinks it's pointless?

If anyone wants to see a group of videos of Konami's failures in this past year, go check out this playlist by an awesome youtuber who takes no shits

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...K4oU_q-iupavnN
    Last edited by Devocrown; 19th September 2015 at 09:45 AM.

Registered User Mystic TimeKeeper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm positive that if Konami really ends up closing the shop, long before that they'd have sold most of their intellectual property, so I believe a franchise as big as Yu-Gi-Oh! would probably change hands before the definite end of the company. My question would be who could be a possible buyer for this game, but that's putting the cart way ahead of the horse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allow me, if you will. If you are reading this, you probably aren't relevant to the problem and Konami probably doesn't care about you.

Konami is making more money than ever by abusing the volatile nature of Japan's gambling issues. Gambling has been a very serious issue in Japan culturally and historically. They are going the route of Love Live, of the パチンコ craze.

It similar to those games like Clash of Clans or Forge of Kingdoms or all of those other city-building games in the west. These games see moderate success in Japan, but it hardly scratches the surface. Games where you either simulate gambling or have aspects of gambling (pulling card packs with insane restrictions) are more popular than games where you match 3 or build a city.

Konami by all accounts is making a very good, short-term decision. It's no surprise at this point, but the market will become overheated and Konami will only show any signs of suffering at that point. Yu-Gi-Oh! is a completely different work from Konami and, like all card games, it has the same addictive nature. It feels good to pull those rares even if they will never go into one of your decks. The mobile games get away with far lower chances of success, but give you packs you can pay real money for that give you an assured rarity of a certain kind.

This and パチンコ games accomplish what they pushed so hard to do with all of the God-awful mobile YGO simulators they made, some of which don't even play YGO proper. Ultimately they've finally struck gold with mobile, and it makes sense. Why pay millions for making AAA games when you can pay, and I'm being VERY generous: 100,000 for one game and make even more profits?

As an added bonus, you really don't get a return for your investments. Soothing voices of women and of your favorite gaming characters cheer you on as you win more and more パチンコ balls. In real life? You can trade them in for something (when I was in Japan, they gave me bananas). Usually this isn't the kind of thing you'd expect to get when gambling, but they can't give you money. You have to go next door and you will conveniently find a nice old lady who just somehow has a shortage of bananas and is willing to pay you for them.

Places where you play パチンコ are also very loud. I believe they are required to even sound-proof the buildings because of it. To get your real experience, it is a hassle. When I went, there were also a lot of people smoking to their hearts content. Playing on a portable device wherever you want is a novel concept. Having characters such as Richter Belmont or Solid Snake (okay who doesn't want to hear Aiko tell you how good you are doing?) cheer you on is also much more assuring than having to take in the loud atmosphere of doing it in person.

You are happy when you win, and these games know how to use science to make you win just enough to keep you happy and occupied. From my opinion, it is really taking advantage of an entire culture and isn't a good thing (It makes it a lot worse to me than some others see it), but money in the end is in no shortage, at least for now. Konami will probably back-peddle when the fad dies, but for now they are sitting on so much profits.

I hope that this makes sense. I am not defending them, but it should only be a part of a phase. These will eventually go the route of the point and click adventure game, and Konami will either sink or swim back to the place that they came from.

EDIT: Chat filter. I didn't say anything inappropriate, but I have to use the direct Japanese word. パチンコ is kind of like pinball.
    Last edited by Thanako; 19th September 2015 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What companies are even out there that would want to buy up yugioh?

Off the top of my head, I can think of Wizards, Bushiroad, and MAYBE in the slightest chance Nintendo.

I know I'm missing more though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably wizards. Though then again they're competing with themselves at that point

Registered User AccelRainbowDashley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanako basically hit it on the head. Their console division was a small part of the company, compared to their other money-making ventures. They'll look bad for gamers, but they don't care since they make their money and keep the suits happy. As far as I know, Yu-Gi-Oh is still the best-selling card game in the world, so they have zero reason to drop it until it showed a very steep decline in sales.

And, like Thanako, I'm not defending them. I'm livid that they cancelled Silent Hills.
    ~The Sins never die, can't wash this blood off our hands~
    ~Let the world fear us all, it's just means to an end~
    YGOrg's resident Dragonmaster

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Thanako said.

Mobile and パチンコ are highly profitable low-cost/high-return and they're also making a ton of money on Real Estate and Health Spas, IIRC.

And AAA Title games are a bubble waiting to explode violently and very very badly.

Konami's basically making a ton of money NOT being a video game company.

Registered User AccelRainbowDashley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends which AAA titles you mean. Fallout 4 is going to make a lot of money, GTA V is still making a lot of money on top of the initial billion they got. BLOPS 3, and CoD in general, will continue to do well despite itself, with some exceptions. Assassin's Creed is at risk of becoming shovelware , though. Yearly releases do them no favours.

The used game industry is at risk with the rising popularity of digital gaming, however.
    ~The Sins never die, can't wash this blood off our hands~
    ~Let the world fear us all, it's just means to an end~
    YGOrg's resident Dragonmaster

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more the production team issues for AAA games.

They keep assembling these gigantic teams to churn out the games regularly which lead to slap shod quality with certain companies (AssCreed being a perfect example) and budget inflation.

All it requires is one publicly huge title that cost millions to flop horribly or bring such a low return, and well, the bubble is probably going to start bursting.

The companies that know what they're doing with their AAA titles will probably survive, but you're going to hit a backlash point eventually and companies will either go niche or mobile.
    Last edited by NeoArkadia; 19th September 2015 at 10:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Konami will come back when the cash cow trend dies off. ((and probably abandon it again when it resurfaces. Remember rhythm games? They're making a come back after all of these years. It's a cycle)) It's said by some reports that the average person in Japan who does pay microtransactions in mobile games will average anywhere between a 50-75 USD investment. So the average person who pays to play is paying as much as it would cost to buy your run of the mill AAA game, and by some estimates even more. Konami is likely keeping their soccer games to continue to have some experience with the current gaming market while also abandoning said market. Perhaps people won't be so ready to accept them again when they do ditch this idea, but Konami does have a massive amount of recognizable brands they can fall back on.