Thread: ARC-V Episode 116 Discussion: Sun and Moon

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    What do you mean?

I loved their Duels, and their Decks.
    Basically, in more words, 'Hideously Unbalanced Final Boss Card Syndrome' -- of note, the vast majority of the cards either directly associated with Dartz or otherwise in any way produced by Don Thousand tend towards the 'stupidly unbalanced' side of things. Geh and Ci1000 in particular are sort of the poster children of this, in fact.

The reason I hope they don't take that route with Leo is that while that makes for 'zomaigar epic duelz' where the protagonists triumph over nearly impossible odds . . . well, that just plain doesn't appeal to me. Such duels typically cease to be about the heroes skillfully (or luckily) getting out of a scrape like most other duels (even amidst the glut of protagonists pulling out cards as the plot demands), and instead become a battle of pure plot armor, wherein he who pulls the most bullshit out of their ass wins. Good design gets thrown under a bus in favor of pure drama. Plus, as King explained, such cards as theirs inevitably are unfit for normal use, and thus typically either get radically changed just to become remotely usable (again, Geh is the prime example, though Sephylon could also be cited) or else flat-out never see the light of day (see 'anything Don Thousand used' or 'any Timelord that isn't Sephylon or Metaion').

It just doesn't sit well with me -- I feel it devalues the final battle and is a waste of the designers' time and effort.
    #222937 for invisitext in the Org's dark. Try it out!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
    Basically, in more words, 'Hideously Unbalanced Final Boss Card Syndrome' -- of note, the vast majority of the cards either directly associated with Dartz or otherwise in any way produced by Don Thousand tend towards the 'stupidly unbalanced' side of things. Geh and Ci1000 in particular are sort of the poster children of this, in fact.

The reason I hope they don't take that route with Leo is that while that makes for 'zomaigar epic duelz' where the protagonists triumph over nearly impossible odds . . . well, that just plain doesn't appeal to me. Such duels typically cease to be about the heroes skillfully (or luckily) getting out of a scrape like most other duels (even amidst the glut of protagonists pulling out cards as the plot demands), and instead become a battle of pure plot armor, wherein he who pulls the most bullshit out of their ass wins. Good design gets thrown under a bus in favor of pure drama. Plus, as King explained, such cards as theirs inevitably are unfit for normal use, and thus typically either get radically changed just to become remotely usable (again, Geh is the prime example, though Sephylon could also be cited) or else flat-out never see the light of day (see 'anything Don Thousand used' or 'any Timelord that isn't Sephylon or Metaion').

It just doesn't sit well with me -- I feel it devalues the final battle and is a waste of the designers' time and effort.

Kinda sad to hear that they don't really appeal to you.

Still, I do enjoy those kinds of Duels (I like pretty much any form a Duel can take, except for off-screen or abridged ones; those I really can't stand).

We don't really get those kinds of Duels too often, anyway, and so I do feel that they are worth the time and effort put into them for the scant few times that we do get them.

Divine Serpent and Ci1000 aren't the only high-end, over-the-top style cards from the Anime or Manga that we see throughout its course, so I'm not really taken aback by it. The real-life translation of the cards is one thing, but that's not new also, nor exclusive to those kinds of cards (they've gotten better overall with translating them while keeping most of the thematic aesthetics it had in the Anime/Manga), and while they can be hit-or-miss, for me, that isn't enough for me to hate them or wish them to no longer exist. I guess my biggest contention would be the lack of their Deck's seeing the light of day, but they aren't exclusive to that problem, and the available space for their products has always been an issue, even in this day and age that sees more Anime/Manga stuff than ever.

Still, thank you for explaining it to me. I appreciate it, especially the cordial way you did so.