User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ARC-V Episode 119 DIscussion - Raiding Birds vs Singing Birds - Brother & Sisteri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Negative Nancy reporting for duty.

So firstly, let me say that I didn't expect Shun to win. But in theory, the parasite could still be in her head and shit could go down. That being said, apparently the power of incest is greater than the power of childhood friend romance. Incest is wincest, I suppose. So I'm not sure what to make of the parasite from a logical standpoint. Rin and Serena had no resistance at all, but Ruri was able to implicitly throw the duel. And despite the deliberate action on Ruri's part, it still reflects poorly when you lose your first on screen duel, and this was only magnified to the fact that she lost to fucking SAYAKA. Remember, the girl who forgot the effect of her utterly trash ace monster? On the other hand, Shun has had an awful record ever since his duel with Crow, so even if he had lost, it would still be problematic. Having them tie addresses neither issue really. At this point, I think that they've written themselves into a corner to the point that no matter what they do, they can't handle their characters well.

Another thing I can't help but point out is how unemotional the whole sequence was. The peak was really just Shun's final direct attack. One of the things I love about the franchise as a whole is how hammy and over the top characters can get, but in this case, the tension was rather low. It might have helped to have made the duel longer than one episode-- instead of featuring irrelevant villains like Kachidoki, Apollo and Diana, and Battle Beast. Very poor screentime management. I can't help but think that at the very least, Yuto should have been namedropped, or flashed-back to, because having him actually involved is obviously too much to as for. I'd also like to point out that the animation was fucking abysmal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also that reference: When Ruri attacks Kurosaki five times directly and she counts up from 2 to 5 (NIDAIME! SANDAIME! YONDAIME! GODAIME!), it's a reference to Kurosaki doing the same with Satellite Cannon Falcon's effect during his duel with Dennis.
    I FUCKING HATE DUB NAMES! I HATE DUB NAMES SO MUCH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question: Why wasn't Haou Koku Ryu considered a "Cross Xyz Summon"?
    Last edited by iNfiniTe Se7eNz; 21st August 2016 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iNfiniTe Se7eNz View Post
    Question: Why wasn't Haou Koku Ryu considered a "Cross Xyz"?
    Comparing Sōkoku and XXyz's anime texts on the wiki, I guess it's because XXyz "transforms" the Xyz's Rank into a Level, while Sōkoku just "adds" a Level to the Xyz Monster in addition to its Rank?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question: Why wasn't Haou Kokuryu considered a "Cross Xyz Summon"?
    To quote Yuya and Kurosaki:

Yuya: "I overlay my [two] Level 7 [dragons]"
    Kurosaki: "I overlay my Level 5 Little Fairy and my Rank 5 Blaze Falcon".

Dark Rebellion doesn't have a Rank anymore when Xiangke's effect is used on it.

So firstly, let me say that I didn't expect Kurosaki to win. But in theory, the parasite could still be in her head and shit could go down. That being said, apparently the power of incest is greater than the power of childhood friend romance. Incest is wincest, I suppose. So I'm not sure what to make of the parasite from a logical standpoint. Rin and Serena had no resistance at all, but Ruri was able to implicitly throw the duel. And despite the deliberate action on Ruri's part, it still reflects poorly when you lose your first on screen duel, and this was only magnified to the fact that she lost to fucking SAYAKA. Remember, the girl who forgot the effect of her utterly trash ace monster? On the other hand, Kurosaki has had an awful record ever since his duel with Crow, so even if he had lost, it would still be problematic. Having them tie addresses neither issue really. At this point, I think that they've written themselves into a corner to the point that no matter what they do, they can't handle their characters well.
    From what I understand is that Ruri is not a good duelist and her brother said that she cannot do anything without him, so she already had a bad track record to begin with. Her fighting against the Parasite shows that her will is very strong, something that Yuto already mentioned, and that she prefers to lose a duel rather than using evil powers to defeat her brother.

Independent Nightingale reflects how she wishes to become strong without her brother, but unfortunately, not the way she actually wants to. I think we get to see more of her becoming independent, but in a good way. Rin was already established as a strong duelist when Yugo dueled Serena, so Rin winning makes more sense than Ruri. Since Ruri believes in Yusho's philosophy, I guess that she is more determined to help people despite her being weak, so her will is strong, I guess. The only I can explain how Rin was determined to defeat Yugo and why she didn't try to fight the Parasite was because of the competetive environment they grew up from. City was extremely harsh and competetive, and both, Yugo and Rin wanted to enter the Friendship Cup, despite the common knowledge of the Underground Facility. So they were not only risking their lives to win the tournament, but also to throw other peole to the underground as well. There would be the point where both had to duel each other, something that they might not have realized.

Honestly, it's my head canon and it makes sense to me.

That also gives all four girls an underdog theme. Yuzu is from a low-level Duel School, Serena wears the Osiris Red uniform (at least the ARC-V version of it), Rin is from the Commons, and Ruri is just not good (enough).
    Last edited by KingJinzo; 21st August 2016 at 09:19 PM.
    I FUCKING HATE DUB NAMES! I HATE DUB NAMES SO MUCH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJinzo View Post
    To quote Yuya and Kurosaki:

Yuya: "I overlay my [two] Level 7 [dragons]"
    Kurosaki: "I overlay my Level 5 Little Fairy and my Rank 5 Blaze Falcon".

Dark Rebellion doesn't have a Rank anymore when Xiangke's effect is used on it.

From what I understand is that Ruri is not a good duelist and her brother said that she cannot do anything without him, so she already had a bad track record to begin with. Her fighting against the Parasite shows that her will is very strong, something that Yuto already mentioned, and that she prefers to lose a duel rather than using evil powers to defeat her brother.

Independent Nightingale reflects how she wishes to become strong without her brother, but unfortunately, not the way she actually wants to. I think we get to see more of her becoming independent, but in a good way. Rin was already established as a strong duelist when Yugo dueled Serena, so Rin winning makes more sense than Ruri. Since Ruri believes in Yusho's philosophy, I guess that she is more determined to help people despite her being weak, so her will is strong, I guess. The only I can explain how Rin was determined to defeat Yugo and why she didn't try to fight the Parasite was because of the competetive environment they grew up from. City was extremely harsh and competetive, and both, Yugo and Rin wanted to enter the Friendship Cup, despite the common knowledge of the Underground Facility. So they were not only risking their lives to win the tournament, but also to throw other peole to the underground as well. There would be the point where both had to duel each other, something that they might not have realized.

Honestly, it's my head canon and it makes sense to me.

That also gives all four girls an underdog theme. Yuzu is from a low-level Duel School, Serena wears the Osiris Red uniform (at least the ARC-V version of it), Rin is from the Commons, and Ruri is just not good (enough).
    Let's ignore Independent Nightingale for now (since she only got that after being brainwashed by the parasite). Assembly Nightingale, while underwhelming, isn't something that would lose to Fairy Cheer Girl. And that's assuming she doesn't have an upgrade up her sleeve. Meanwhile, Sayaka is shown as too weak to fight (note that she doesn't even have a Resistance scarf), and again, forgetting to use her own effects. Ruri, on the other hand, lasted at least some time in combat (how long isn't exactly clear, but it would take some time to destroy the city and set up refugee camps, where she was seen before capture, and it's mentioned that she fought alongside them), moreover, her strong will is what makes a good duelist-- "iron determination and steeled strength", as exemplified by the likes of the win records of people like Yusei, Kaito, and Shun, so she has no excuse to lose. If anything, it's the show being horribly inconsistent and, like I said, mishandling its characters. The fact is that in YGO, being a bad duelist is an extremely poor reflection on one's character. Now sure, maybe her record against Sayaka is 50-1, but given that they've only shown Ruri to be 0-2 is really just shitting on her. And what really counts are on-screen duels against competent characters. Which brings back another issue-- a lack of credible villains. They've just been tossing in one-offs but if they just lose one duel and never appear again, then they look like fodder rather than legitimate threats. There really isn't anyone Ruri can win against that makes her look good, and this issue is shared by all four Ruris now. Sure, Rin broke Yugo's flawless record, but if she's brainwashed, then she's doing it on borrowed strength, not her own.
    Last edited by iNfiniTe Se7eNz; 22nd August 2016 at 02:16 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So firstly, let me say that I didn't expect Shun to win. But in theory, the parasite could still be in her head and shit could go down. That being said, apparently the power of incest is greater than the power of childhood friend romance. Incest is wincest, I suppose. So I'm not sure what to make of the parasite from a logical standpoint. Rin and Serena had no resistance at all, but Ruri was able to implicitly throw the duel. And despite the deliberate action on Ruri's part, it still reflects poorly when you lose your first on screen duel, and this was only magnified to the fact that she lost to fucking SAYAKA. Remember, the girl who forgot the effect of her utterly trash ace monster? On the other hand, Shun has had an awful record ever since his duel with Crow, so even if he had lost, it would still be problematic. Having them tie addresses neither issue really. At this point, I think that they've written themselves into a corner to the point that no matter what they do, they can't handle their characters well.

Another thing I can't help but point out is how unemotional the whole sequence was. The peak was really just Shun's final direct attack. One of the things I love about the franchise as a whole is how hammy and over the top characters can get, but in this case, the tension was rather low. It might have helped to have made the duel longer than one episode-- instead of featuring irrelevant villains like Kachidoki, Apollo and Diana, and Battle Beast. Very poor screentime management. I can't help but think that at the very least, Yuto should have been namedropped, or flashed-back to, because having him actually involved is obviously too much to as for. I'd also like to point out that the animation was fucking abysmal.
    Abysmal? This was iffy at worst. Episode 12 is what you call Abysmal.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like how the next episode will have blackwings vs gladiator beasts.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarkiel View Post

Ohdeargodyes.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarkiel View Post

This takes me back to, like, 2007, when Gladiator Beasts were big at my locals, and I could tell who played it right from the start, because they were the only ones who had a Fusion Deck. Seems so long ago, now.
    Current decks: Salamangreats, Knightmare Cyberse, and Odd-Eyes Performapals
    Originator of the Tulpa Summon, and the homebrewed cards you use with it.