User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ARC-V Episode 123 - Buy Ancient Gears! Buy Machine Dragon Re-Volt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iNfiniTe Se7eNz View Post
    Was this supposed to be an attempt at making Yuri into a threatening villain, or did they realize they wouldn't be able to accomplish that, and instead opted to shill the Structure Deck?
    they just wanted publicity for the new structure deck

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While they could have given the Honor Student deck to a new character who could be an Honor Student or just to an ARC-V version of Chronos, I can understand why it does fit more or less with Yuri and how this deck adds more depth to his character.

Yes, it's blatant promotion, but everybody else could have been used for that purpose, but why Yuri?

Well, let's go a bit deeper into it. Most of Academia's student are using Antique Gear decks and it has been proven several times that they can be surprisingly be troublesome to the opponent. It can be assumed that all the Antique Gear students received their decks from Academia. Not only students, but other agents like Roget run Antique Gears. Even among soldiers who have a very individual personality, Dennis also has some of them, which pretty much tells that everyone at some given point had to play with them as part of their studying. So, it's obvious that all Academia students should know about the most basic Antique Gear cards, which includes the hounds and especially them. Having an Honor Student deck for their "best" students makes sense. And Yuri trolling Asuka that he doesn't know much about them makes it clear that, while he is very capable of playing an Antique Gear deck, he prefers his other deck which is apparently better than the Honor Student deck.

So, but why uses Yuri this deck anyway. One can say that the writers wanted to use the Yuutousei ("Honor Student") pun on Yuri, since they're both counterparts to each other and Yuri doesn't show much parallels to Yuto. But this episode clearly tells us that Yuri is not an Honor Student. He's feared by everyone, maybe only a few people might actually respect him as a person or soldier, but pretty much everyone seems to fear him (I'm looking at you, Roget). Yuri is not acting as a soldier, but more like a sociopathic mercenary who doesn't care about his comrades, and it is implied that Academia students do feel some comradery for each other, e.g. when Sora called his Academia colleagues "comrades". My point is that Yuri doesn't qualify as an Honor Student. He uses this deck against Asuka, an Honor Student who even was known as an Honor Student in GX. Asuka is basically Yuri's foil. They are both strong, but Asuka is popular by the students and respected by everyone and she's an excellent student. There is actually a parallel between Yuri and Judai, who is another powerful duelist that doesn't qualify as an Honor Student. The fact that Yuri modified his Honor Student deck and how well he can play with this archetype anyway even when he's pretending to be a AG scrub, he's insulting of the idea that only Honor Students can play such powerful decks. And he's insulting honor students like Asuka, and he might have a slightly personal contempt with her.

Now we go beyond the Antique Gears:
    Since this episode had a focus on the importance of honor students and isolation, Yuri can be seen as a Judai who never got friends despite his strength. Kaiser, who certainly wasn't the nicest person in season 1, was still respected because of his strength, his grades, his coolness, and his occasional friendliness. Asuka was popular and respected because of her beauty, her strong personality, her skills and grades (hell, remember the one teacher who lost his last bit of sanity because he got a fake flashback of Asuka acting not as an honor student). Actually, this guy pretty much told Judai how much of a bad influence he was to other students. Judai was the best duelist in school, but a very bad student, the worst opposite of honor students. Being strong with no studying. While we don't how good Yuri is in studying, but there is a big difference between him and Judai that might have influenced their life. Judai was a friendly person who got along with everyone (even with Manjoume and Edo sometimes), and because of his friendliness and charisma, he didn't go the bad route until he lost one friend he could really relate with. Yuri on the other hand had no friends whatsover because of him being creepy and a jerkass and the only fun he had was carding people. Since carding people is an essential part of his dueling life, and how competitive the curriculum is (the color ranking indicates this), Yuri had never fun with a friend in a duel, while Judai had always in duels (for the most part) without hurting people. People assume that Yuri and Dennis might be friends, but that might be not the case. Yuri was definitively threatening to Dennis, and Dennis being Dennis, he does know how to get along with Yuri without going to far on pushing his buttons. Maybe they really are friends, or maybe not. It depends on how Yuri feels about Dennis's fate.

The darkness inside Yuri is another parallel he shares with Judai, not to mention the outfit.

But back to the Honor Student thing. Despite many of the Academia soldiers do gang up on people and many of them carded innocent bystanders, most of them do see their Hunting Game as an honorable thing, and those who didn't see the terror they've made, they are just believing that what they are doing is justified. Serena's idealism of Academia was about honor, and some duelists like Barrett are good examples how honorable Academia can be. Sanders's students also believe that carding the loser is an honorable end, and while we do see soldiers being sadistic and "evil" when they card people, we can also interpret it as points for their personal carding scores (which technically is evil). And as evil Sora was acting in episode 34, he could have been simply drawn with a normal face instead, which might have given his reveal as something like a "hero worshipping"-or-"glorying your comrades"-vibe. Yuri on the other hand doesn't seem to care about honor at all. He's simply doing all that of his own fun, not necessarily for Academia or the Professor. The Professor is just giving him a free pass to eliminate people without consequences and he may get praised for his crimes. And some of his mission do entertain him, such as kidnapping girls, so he has nothing to lose.

I think this episode did it right that they have to give some characterization to Yuri, since he has been around for almost 90 episodes now, but hasn't been doing much and not much about him was known other that he's just evil and likes having fun. We don't know how much influence the darkness inside him has on Yuri's evilness, but if Yuri's true personality is the one we know that darkness has no influence on his true personality, then the combination of his evil personality and his slumbering darkness is a deadly combination. Yuya is more or less able to surpress his Awakening, and Yuto also managed to go back. And Yugo isn't evil either. But a guy who is evil to begin with will have no bounds on him if his darkness awakens with full force, and now that we have a "face" of the devlish darkness, we can assume that Yuya and co. might end up being even deadlier than we assumed. Yuya's awakening in episode 87 implied that he might be able to destroy cities, so combining all of four of them will probably end up in a catastrophe.
    I FUCKING HATE DUB NAMES! I HATE DUB NAMES SO MUCH!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got to watch this episode and I love the way they displayed Yuri in this episode! He's funny, has the desire to win win, is dominant and downright pure evil. I felt bad for little Yuri not having friends though but that made him the man he is now. He made this Ancient Gear display fun with the way he was reading the card effects and learning on the fly. And the use of Super Poly was exactly what I expected from the Yuya of Academia. He's easily becoming one of the best characters ever in the Yugioh franchise.

I'm really shocked to see the Professor really shocked. I thought he knew everything about the 4 little boys and girls who share the same face. It was great to see him surprised out of fear and actually give emotion towards who else but Academia's feared Yuri.
    A Fallen Hero Is The Best Kind of Villain

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, I just noticed that the animation of Super Polymerization seems to suck a lot of cards. Could it possibly absorb carded people to pull of that Fusion Summon?
    I FUCKING HATE DUB NAMES! I HATE DUB NAMES SO MUCH!