User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Prophecy / Spellbook Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With new Pendulum decks, Doomstar Magician may be more important than Kycoo!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated the OP with Fate being unlimited now and with the "Heresy" variant.

Card of demise looks realy good for us, or at least for the "Heresy" build. Can't wait to try it out later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really understand card of demise. I guess I don't often get in a situation where I'm left with less than 3 cards because of the Tower. With lower monster count the issue maybe to draw into too many spells that don't include Secrets. How about magical mallet?

Registered User clairedestroyer!'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mallet was actually only justifiable at all when Judgment existed because you avoided the hard -1. Even then it was subpar. In this meta where the most powerful and successful cards are monsters, about the last thing you want to is to lose advantage while die rolling into a possibly better hand (or just as likely an equal or worse one).

Demise works in theory because your low monster count means you're likely able to use every card you get, but it still requires you to be playing down to minimal hands, which is both difficult in Books (Secrets, Master coyping Secrets/Power, Eternity, Magician, Fate in several contexts, Power if it resolves, Crescent I guess lol all replace themselves and Tower is consistent plussing if it stays up) but also drawing spell speed 1 or generally not applicable shit and being forced to set it all is just not good.

Doomstar not being Quick and being OPT both kinda hurt but it's prob gonna be run regardless because there are very few relevant Spellcasters in general.

As a final small note, the "heresey" build is probably the only one worth running, and even back in Judgment format that became very clear. David Keener (who made it to Finals in Worlds) ran 9 monsters: 3 Magician, 3 Kycoo, 2 Jowgen, 1 Defender. Priestess was (and is) kinda a mediocre card, and especially in a current format where it's a total blank against Kozmo and generally weak vs P&P. Other bosses were never really worth the more stringent conditions for geting them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Card of Demise itself can be an excellent advantage gain, and even the times it isn't, you at least broke even (most likely). It's downsides don't really hurt us that much, but if anything the discarding keeps us with a full powered Fate.

Well, it is a bit early to be adding it to skeletons probably.

Priestess being able to control pendulum scales isn't that bad I think, but she does get weaker since that could end up just feeeding the fire. Plus Kozmo being popular makes her job hard.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order for Demise to be effective the following have to be true:
    1) You're under 3 cards naturally while not making bad plays. Sure you can at any moment get there by setting your hand down but if you weren't planning on using those to begin with then you're making extra plays and throwing cards away to maybe draw into what you need. Maybe. As I explained, that's actually not very easy, especially when you also consider discard traps are worse than they were back then (we have less free cards to use and most of them target and Kozmo is gonna be a big deck for the immediate future)
    2) You're using it because you need to hit unsearchables. Once you access the first Magician/Secrets your deck will have very little trouble getting to the rest of your Books and Turn 1 Crescent is the better card to get you there because you actually have a choice of what you're getting and calling Secrets/Master gets you way more opportunities to start building a playable hand vs drawing 1-3 random cards.

Those two facets make me really wary of the card especially since the number of unsearchable cards is gonna be low naturally.

Popping only one scale is honestly not a good play in general (this is also why I'm not sold on Doomstar) because 1 scale is very easily replacable without giving anything major up. Losing two scales requires more cards and possible plays to replace and that's what you want. You want them to be forced to give up more to play, or even not have enough to make a play (if they only have 1 workable scale in hand they're done if they had zero to start but its irrelevant if they already have 1 up). Priestess is also just very low value regardless. A +0 that takes books away from where you want them most and puts them where you want them least is a bad effect all around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tested 3 Doomstar on ygopro against their magician decks and it seems to be working well with 2 Priestesses. I discard a spellbook, destroy a scale, draw a card, banish the discarded spellbook, destroy another scale. That's a -2 for the opponent and my hand stays the same. If I don't have the priestess I can most likely copy what I discarded with master either way or just let it sit in the graveyard for Fate.

With 3 masters and 2 eternities I generally recup my banished spellbooks pretty quick (maybe I should do 3 of each?)

I mean it may not be the best monster out there but kycoo really is useless against pendulums. Breaker may be more flexible since it can destroy any other ST but I feel that destroying scales either way are more important and I like the extra draw. I've never tried Defender+Starhall but it does sound difficult to pull off. I mean what else can we summon to kill stuff and inflict damage?

And then with 2 fates, 3 mst and 3 cursed seal... the goal is to make it hard for them to set any other scale.

But what can Spellbooks really do about Kozmos? Kycoo can stop them from activating they banishing effect in the grave but not on the field. They can also recycle their banished monsters with their field spell so stopping that seems to be a priority but if we stack up the deck with backrow removal... their monsters are already really strong by themselves so how would you balance that out?
    Last edited by manestor; 11th November 2015 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhhhhhh of course you're gonna struggle against the deck when you run 5+ blank cards against them and generally highly suboptimal choices like 3 Master.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clairedestroyer! View Post
    Uhhhhhh of course you're gonna struggle against the deck when you run 5+ blank cards against them and generally highly suboptimal choices like 3 Master.
    I was obviously not going to use the same build I tried against pendulums against Kozmos. I was just asking what a good strategy was against Kozmos. I haven't had the opportunity to play against them a lot. What cards/combos to you think would be specifically good against them?
    Last edited by manestor; 12th November 2015 at 06:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    happy to be hear. I am a member of the spellcaster thread on pojo (which actually has become the prophecy thread ). These guys there are kinda cancerous, especially one certain user -.-

anyway, i hope i will see some theory-oh here...

p.s. i have the same username on pojo too...